Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts on the newly added content.

Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I have done a quick review of the new Czerka content, bounty week, etc.

http://youtu.be/TzNjwyUKnsc

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Cant disagree much.

The mass firings early on crippled this game.  It could be argued that the game was crippled before launch, just hidden well, but the people that worked on it should have been allowed to continue to fix it.  If nothing else, they were the most qualified, having been around the game, it's design, it's code, and it's integration aspects for so long.

Then again, employee morale could have taken a blow with EA's dominance - a company where everyone once knew each other (BioWare) then sold to EA years ago.... where people got fired, moved around, or quit isn't an environment to expect passion from.

The lack of future class stories is a severe set-back for SW fans.  Everything replaced with terminals and dailies does little to quash the emptiness now felt.  The rise of the cash-shop to just buy stuff you don't feel like earning in-game is also depressing, and gives little joy in achieving much of anything, anymore.

Cheers!  If I ever see that beer, I'll try it.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• norakarnorakar Member Posts: 18

Overall SWTOR is a solid game if you are looking at  the lack of major bugs, and it does have some star wars (ish)  theme.

You have to understand that some people are perfectly happy to run around the space stations yelling "may the force be with you" (and listen to the constant spam of the credit sellers)   From the money they spent they could have made a photo realistic sandbox+themepark mmo with superb content, but most of the money went toward licensing fees to Lucas Arts, since I dont beleive they paid $10000/hour to pay a noname voice actor...

So they created a single palyer star wars (ish) adventure  game, than turned it into a limited scope mmo, if this game would be called pumpkin wars, it would have folded long time ago.Hype+Star Wars and they can sell anything.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Karteli

Cant disagree much.

The mass firings early on crippled this game.  It could be argued that the game was crippled before launch, just hidden well, but the people that worked on it should have been allowed to continue to fix it.  If nothing else, they were the most qualified, having been around the game, it's design, it's code, and it's integration aspects for so long.

Then again, employee morale could have taken a blow with EA's dominance - a company where everyone once knew each other (BioWare) then sold to EA years ago.... where people got fired, moved around, or quit isn't an environment to expect passion from.

The lack of future class stories is a severe set-back for SW fans.  Everything replaced with terminals and dailies does little to quash the emptiness now felt.  The rise of the cash-shop to just buy stuff you don't feel like earning in-game is also depressing, and gives little joy in achieving much of anything, anymore.

Cheers!  If I ever see that beer, I'll try it.

You are bashing SWTOR for implementing lots of dailies? Whilst I would also prefer a lot more story content and less dailies, you choose to ignore the fact that all mainstream MMORPGs are shifting to this trend.

Did the mighty WoW not just release a panda expansion packed FULL of dailies? Errr yes it did. This model of content deployment is becoming the norm in TP MMORPGs because it allows the dev team to cycle through content releases far more quickly than producing solid, story based content.

The MMORPG crowd these days are like a pack of baying wolves and they blast through content far more quickly than ever before. IF a dev team was to retain the old fashioned way of releasing big story based content updates, you are one the very posters that would be on here bashing them for it.

All you players that hit max level inside a week then cry there is nothing to do, YOU are the ones that have brought about the developer disease that is "dailies" and its affecting all MMORPGs, not just SWTOR even though you choose to ignore that fact.

The same can be said of cash shops...do I like cash shops? Sure for some things they have merit. Some things not. The willingness of content locusts to just buy their way to everything so they can continue to cry nothing to do is the driver behind cash shops affecting every new MMORPG.

Star Citizen anyone? $20 for a buggy that you can only drive around the hanger in their cash shop....

But still, you carry on bashing SWTOR for using what are now standard design choices in the genre as if no other game does it...just makes me lol...

You reap what you sow.....welcome to the MMORPG generation that we have all had a part in creating...that is based on cash shops and quick release daily content....why? Because anything less is lauded as fail by the gamers themselves.

Driz

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Did the mighty WoW not just release a panda expansion packed FULL of dailies?

And every game should copy WoW cause that method has proven to be a fun and profitable approach, right?

Right.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

And every game should copy WoW cause that method has proven to be a fun and profitable approach, right?

Right.

It sure worked out ok for WoW, Rift, GW2 et al....right?

I mean you cannot deny that WoW for example has been the yardstick that every MMORPG player measures success by...

You cant deny that WoW is a massive financial success...right? With millions and millions of players....right?

That many players wouldnt play a game that is not fun....right?

Right!

Driz

Originally posted by Dakeru

Right.

Or we could go back to the old fashioned way of doing things with MMORPGs only getting 1 expansion every 18 months or so...because all the content locusts would be happy with that.....oh wait.....

Dailies and quick fire content it is then....

We as gamers cant have it both ways....even though we think we can :)

Driz

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It's like I entered a time warp. Is this 2009? You telling me the industry is moving towards a daily model? Where have you been the last 3-4 years?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It's like I entered a time warp. Is this 2009? You telling me the industry is moving towards a daily model? Where have you been the last 3-4 years?

I know full well that the industry has been moving towards this modeal for the last few years....

It seems Karteli has only just discovered this fact and seems to think that SWTOR is the only MMORPG that does...

Driz

I don't really buy into the defense that others are doing it, so it's OK for others to do it also.  I guess I'm not mainstream.  But good job manipulating what was actually said, to further your argument?

Dailies just aren't fun for me - they dictate what a player should be doing and remove the sensation of choice, to some extent.  SWTOR dailies are a bit more palatable because of the setting and because some have cinematics, but they still get old after the 1st time.  I stop doing them when I start seeing repeats.  It's cheap content and it shows.

As for "modern" MMORPG'ers whipping through content too fast, thus necessitating Dailies, did you ever stop to consider that MMORPG's these days are made super easy, so anyone who breathes can become a winner too?

Look back to EQ1 and WoW Vanilla ... no dailies there, but people played the content because it was challenging and fun with an abundance of stuff to do.  Those games didn't need Dailies.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38

actually WOW is moving away from the daily model.  they found that too many dailys tied to gear really hurt subs.  they are moving to a more dynamic event system.  the battlefield barrens did not, and new timeless isle will not, have dailys.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Karteli

I know full well that the industry has been moving towards this modeal for the last few years....

It seems Karteli has only just discovered this fact and seems to think that SWTOR is the only MMORPG that does...

Driz

I don't really buy into the defense that others are doing it, so it's OK for others to do it also.  I guess I'm not mainstream.  But good job manipulating what was actually said, to further your argument?

Dailies just aren't fun for me - they dictate what a player should be doing and remove the sensation of choice, to some extent.  SWTOR dailies are a bit more palatable because of the setting and because some have cinematics, but they still get old after the 1st time.  I stop doing them when I start seeing repeats.  It's cheap content and it shows.

As for "modern" MMORPG'ers whipping through content too fast, thus necessitating Dailies, did you ever stop to consider that MMORPG's these days are made super easy, so anyone who breathes can become a winner too?

Look back to EQ1 and WoW Vanilla ... no dailies there, but people played the content because it was challenging and fun with an abundance of stuff to do.  Those games didn't need Dailies.

no, but would you replay Vanilla wow today?

and, would you pay a sub fee for it?

mmo business has changed, and so have we

Vanilla wow was more hardcore, but they had so many quests, that even the most casual player

could find something to do

options= players= Money

and that is why all the wow clones fail, they dont have enough content