Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No PvP? No thank you.

Comments

• darthadendarthaden Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Voqar

They're going to add PvP but I wish they were not.  I would like to see a PvE only MMORPG and I'm fine with some people just not playing because of it.  I don't think cheeseball instanced PvP minigames or weak open world PvP areas do much of anything good for MMORPGs.  More often the extra balance issues and distractions end up negatively affecting the rest of the game.

they've already said pvp will not use the same skills as pve to keep this from happening

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

a) the PVP is coming soon

b) ff11 has been going for what, 11 years with only ballista for PVP, so i dunno what the OP is talking about regarding the game needing to have PVP.  all the game *needs* to have to succeed is to be a good final fantasy game.  the IP's 10 zillion fans will provide them a steady group of gamers for the forseeable future.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by c0exist
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Ashkent

"No PVP? This game sucks! Not buying it!"

This is what I hear when people whine about no PVP

"Waaahh! I can't grief other players! I can;t kill all the noobs 30 levels below me! Waahhh, how else am I going to make up for my crappy life?"

This is what i hear from peeps who dont know what PvP even is.

First of all ,all those "noobs" 30 levels below you,knows that it might happen and they dont cry like you.

Shit happens in fantasy worlds,even Luke got ganked pretty hard by higher level character and lost his hand,and what did he do? he paid back and thats what people can do in PvP games / fantasy worlds.

+but,like for example WoW where its not possible to pay even back anymore because of xserver technology they made an environment where actions are not controlled by players anymore ,where environment prevents players actions,those are gankers paradises and role-players who want full rules are playing against impossible enemy called E.

++other tools ,lfg whatever bg etc.

MMORPG's are about the player base against the designated evil.  Not players against other players.  Thats what shooters are for and madden.

Like if i roll Sith and i meet Jedi im supposed to kiss her.

Lets think about his a little.

Master Conan is adventuring at the enchanted forest and he meets XxConanisNoobxX.

Conan takes his sword and cuts XxConanisNoobxX´s neck with 1 swing.

MMO version.

Master Conan is adventuring at the enchanted forest and he meets XxConanisNoobxX

Conan automatically joins XxConanisNoobxX party,they collect apples.

Mission accomplished.

*theres something wrong,terribly wrong.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

"Waaahh! I can't grief other players! I can;t kill all the noobs 30 levels below me! Waahhh, how else am I going to make up for my crappy life?"

First of all ,all those "noobs" 30 levels below you,knows that it might happen and they dont cry like you.

Shit happens in fantasy worlds,even Luke got ganked pretty hard by higher level character and lost his hand,and what did he do? he paid back and thats what people can do in PvP games / fantasy worlds.

+but,like for example WoW where its not possible to pay even back anymore because of xserver technology they made an environment where actions are not controlled by players anymore ,where environment prevents players actions,those are gankers paradises and role-players who want full rules are playing against impossible enemy called E.

MMORPG's are about the player base against the designated evil.  Not players against other players.  Thats what shooters are for and madden.

Master Conan is adventuring at the enchanted forest and he meets XxConanisNoobxX.

MMO version.

Master Conan is adventuring at the enchanted forest and he meets XxConanisNoobxX

Mission accomplished.

No. There is nothing wrong.

You just need to accept that different people like different things, and that's why we have lots of different games in the market. If you want to kill that guy you see in the same forest, go play a game that lets you do that. But if a game chooses not to allow that, it's not for you, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't like full loot PVP games much. Nothing wrong with them, but with limited time I just can't put in the time to get the best out of them and end up frustrated. So I don't play them, but I don't wish them to be different to suit me.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

you mean SOME MMORPGs are about the playerbase against the designated evil.  there are lots of different MMORPGs for lots of different gamers.   Or, in my case, one gamer who likes two styles of MMO (I play eve and ff14 atm).

LOTRO was indeed about the playerbase against the designated evil (as appropriate for the game based on those books).  To a great extent so is WoW.  Eve however is most certainly NOT about the playerbase unified against ANYTHING.  Eve would in fact be kinda bad if it was about the playerbase unified.  The same applies to Darkfall(s), Lineage2 etc.  All of which are MMO.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by jayvierl

Let me start by saying, this is a great game. I've played the beta. I enjoyed to so much that I almost bought it.

The gameplay is perfect. The exact kind of mmo I , and most , were waiting for.

My only issue : There is no PVP!!!!. Like wtf?

I love PvE as much as the next, but lets face it. I want to test my abilities against my friends and people I don't know. I want something to do besides PvE content. 

I really love this game but PvE alone won't keep their play base high. They need to add PvP content asap. Maybe I will give this game another look if they do, until then. I will wait on EQN.

Why the need to beat up other players? Is this some sort of inner rage that has to be taken out electronically? I never understood PvP fanatics and to be honest most of them are griefers taking pleasure in ruining other peoples fun.

There is no need for PvP ever, there is not even ONE good reason for PvP. It's childish, antisocial and completely pointless.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

To be fair, I have enjoyed PVP in MMO's throughout my gaming career....but there are some major issues with it

Most people will like it for the e-peen reason stated here, since gear dependent games by nature, lean on numbers more than the players ability

There is the reason that people want to use this character they have spent time on, and prove themselves as whatever class they are

Regardless of the reason, it can be fun

HOWEVER, my biggest problem with PVP, and it's the reason I would rather an MMO not have it, is the balancing act between PVP and PVE which leads to more issues than it does anything else. In a game, especially like FFXIV, where the story and partying to take down X threat is the focus, whether or not you want to believe/want it to be., the last thing that should happen is player X whining about Dragoons being OP, or Player Y complaining that Bard's don't bring enough to PVP to be worth playing and in turn this affecting how the game is changed.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Vonatar

MMO version.

Mission accomplished.

No. There is nothing wrong.

You just need to accept that different people like different things, and that's why we have lots of different games in the market. If you want to kill that guy you see in the same forest, go play a game that lets you do that. But if a game chooses not to allow that, it's not for you, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't like full loot PVP games much. Nothing wrong with them, but with limited time I just can't put in the time to get the best out of them and end up frustrated. So I don't play them, but I don't wish them to be different to suit me.

Sure there is Dig Dug,Mr.Robot and 10000100 different games,really good games i really love them.

But now we are talking about fantasy and in my books 2nd example is pretty far from it.

So far that what happens in fantasy books/movies etc is eliminated from MMO games and its getting just worse.

How many times Conan saved a girl for example,yes many times but that wont happen in MMOs either because theres noone threatening any girls life,or steal anything etc.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

I feel sorry for people like the OP, they have nothing going for them in real life so they have to try and make a name for themselves somewhere, and the internet is the only place where they can really do it, its the only way they can play the part of the people that stuff them in thier lockers in school or the the part of the guy that people look up to because well, no one looks up to them in real life so they end up trying too hard eventually and looking like douches anyway.

A lot of these people come from broken homes and thier lives are a mess, so they want to make everyone else miserable, its why they get to up in arms when a game  does not give them the tools to make it happen, most developers are pushing them out of thier "holy land" because they're realized that they are nothing but parasites, leeching the life away from thier hard work and killing thier game's profitability.

They have established pvp games out there, but those are a bit of a challenge to them as they would face off against people  who want a fight, they have enough bad luck with that in real life. 

I understand where they're coming from there you know, they have enough hardships in RL as it is so they want something easy when they log into a game, but you could say the same for casual players too that just want to log in and enjoy the game.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Let me start by saying, this is a great game. I've played the beta. I enjoyed to so much that I almost bought it.

I love PvE as much as the next, but lets face it. I want to test my abilities against my friends and people I don't know. I want something to do besides PvE content. 

I really love this game but PvE alone won't keep their play base high. They need to add PvP content asap. Maybe I will give this game another look if they do, until then. I will wait on EQN.

A) EQN will be largely PVE-centric.  

B) People have different tastes.  I don't care for PVP unless the game is based entirely on PVP.  Battlegrounds?  Why even bother.  But that's my opinion, and I totally understand that other people love battlegrounds.  I'm not going to demand that all MMOs bend to my style of play.  

The fans of Final Fantasy will most certainly keep playing FFXIV with PVE being the main draw.

• DukeDuDukeDu Member Posts: 73
    Go "own some noobs" on Warcraft or Call Duty!
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

They're adding a 3-faction pvp sometime later, from what i gather .

I love both PVE and PVP, i just hope in the case FFXIV (the entire series has always been about PVE), that the PVP doesn't turn the PVE game into a "nerf / buff" whine-fest like other games at the expense of the PVE-experience.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by McShwangus

I know right. Who would want to play a game that doesn't revolve around ruining someone else's day. How do you show your superiority if you can't jump out of a bush and instagib some poor sap. With the overwhelming amount of pve games out there you think they would try and balance it out a bit.

Haha...there's PVP and then there's just ganking/griefing - which has nothing to do with PVP and everything to do with inflating one's ego. PVP done right can be VERY fun and I'm sure once the game gets going PVP will enter the scene. 

I'm in favor of instanced PVP where all players are on equal footing - world PVP is a joke and you end up with gangs of griefers killing noobs while they're gathering/leveling. I know lots of pvpers like the full loot thing but there are games like Darkfall Online where you hunt for little people all day and ruin the game for them at your hearts content.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

Why the need to beat up other players? Is this some sort of inner rage that has to be taken out electronically? I never understood PvP fanatics and to be honest most of them are griefers taking pleasure in ruining other peoples fun.

There is no need for PvP ever, there is not even ONE good reason for PvP. It's childish, antisocial and completely pointless.

lol.... are you serious?

By your logic there would be no basketball, no soccer, no hokey, no boxing, no martial arts, no nothing, people would sit around and drink tea...and MAYBE play chess or checkers, because apparently if you compete that makes you a raging maniac...according to u.

There is no inner rage that needs to be taken out electonically (that's pretty stupid way to present an argument by the way), there is however supreme adrenaline rush and excitement when stakes are high in a video game.  Your heart starts beating really fast, your hands start shaking uncontrollably,  you start sweating, time slows to a crawl, you forget to breathe....and then it ends, win or lose, you are content because you've just experienced the ultimate fun playing a video game.

The above can rarely, if ever, be reproduced in a PVE setting, nor can they be reproduced in a no-risk mini-game type of PVP that most themeparks sport.  The only reliable way to reproduce such effect constantly is through HIGH RISK high reward PVP, in other words, full loot PVP game. 

PVE eventually gets boring, given enough time there will be no excitement to be had.  You killed the same boss over and over, farmed the same zone for weeks, got all your epic gear sets, beat all the boss mechanics, things get stale.  However, in PVP, things are never the same, things are always fresh.

That said, I hope they don't bother with PVP in FF14, because I have absolutely no faith that they would implement an exciting/meaningful/risky PVP system, so might as well not waste time on it and keep to PVE only.  PVP like in Rift, WOW, GW2, etc etc etc, is just an afterthought, risk-free watered down crap that just creates the problems for the game.  They either need to do it right or not do it at all.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Im going to PvP as Miner, go stealth and slow walk into your base and take it
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

There will be pvp if you don't mind E-Sporting vs your own races and same classes.  This won't be Dark Age of Camelot, Elder Scrolls Online and certainly not Camelot Unchained.  Since every pvp game on the market is either free for all gang banger type guild wars, or 2-3 faction mirrored class race combinations in battlegrounds for flag capture - and IFf that doesn't bother you - then stick with it.  The pve is well done, in my opinion.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    Im going to PvP as Miner, go stealth and slow walk into your base and take it

Hehe...I like you

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Let me start by saying, this is a great game. I've played the beta. I enjoyed to so much that I almost bought it.The gameplay is perfect. The exact kind of mmo I , and most , were waiting for.My only issue : There is no PVP!!!!. Like wtf?I love PvE as much as the next, but lets face it. I want to test my abilities against my friends and people I don't know. I want something to do besides PvE content. I really love this game but PvE alone won't keep their play base high. They need to add PvP content asap. Maybe I will give this game another look if they do, until then. I will wait on EQN. 

If I have read things in the past right, the Japanese in general are not big into PvP. Someone said they are adding PvP, which they probably will, but I wouldn't hold your breath for any sort of OW or FFA PvP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    They have already confirmed both arena style and warfront (open world faction based) PvP. You just have to wait a few months.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    They say they're adding PvP ... I wish they wouldn't.  Lineage 2 has PvP.  All other games seem to have PvP... just go play a PvP game.  I am not looking forward to PvP in FFXIV.  I love the game the way it is right now and I really would love for this to be the one game out there where they didn't try and appeal to everyone.

No bitchers.

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75
    OP needs to do some quick easy research and it would have given him the answer instead of coming here complaining
  • KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords
    OP needs to do some quick easy research and it would have given him the answer instead of coming here complaining

It's just a Troll Thread. The OP doesn't actually care that FFXIV will have both Arena and 3-way Faction PvP. He's just upset that FFXIV has a Higher Hype rating than EQNext and it's horrible cartoon graphics.

• Originally posted by jayvierl

They will add 3 minigame PvP match for starts, probably will add more later..

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Somewhere within the 2.0 release, there should be PvP functionality with the Grand Companies.

That's pretty far out though...

If you like PvP (like me), you are just going to have to hold out and have some faith in Yoshida - who happens to be an intense PvPer.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Melkrow
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

lol.... are you serious?

YES

By your logic there would be no basketball, no soccer, no hokey, no boxing, no martial arts, no nothing, people would sit around and drink tea...and MAYBE play chess or checkers, because apparently if you compete that makes you a raging maniac...according to u.

What does Basketball have to do with beating up other people and a game for that matter? Competitive sports have nothing to do with this and are something completely different. Exceptions are Boxing or any similar violent "sport" that in my opinion is not  asport at all. Violent sports and PvP serves the same purpose that it did in ancient Rome: To give the masses a release for their anger. Look it up, you might learn something.