Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New parkour video

12346»

Comments

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    So now i'm a little confused.  Are we going to be running around like in the video, doing crazy flips and matrix style moves while also doing our combat, kind of like Age of Wushu?  Or is this parkour stuff its own separate mode?

No, the way I understood it, we CAN move like this. I mean, if you glide down and move over small ledges, your character will animate like this, but high jumping and float you CAN do but have to do it actively.

I REALLY like this aspect. MMO chars were waaaay too stiff all these years. It is cool to see MMOs finally get characters who are capable of full 3-dimensional movement. :)

I dont understand why people are so acidic about this. Dont wanna jump, well then DONT. duh...

A hero is supposed to be a person on top form. I mean, you are going out killing dangerous stuff, so we can assume such characters are athletic and fit. It just adds some cool realism. Like swimming. The more realistic characters and worlds are, the better. (And before you tell me, REAL people cant jump like this, trust me, youtube it, some can. Plus, it is a MAGICAL world. So go figure.) it is just an EXAMPLE what you can do in the world. It is not that the game is a parcour game! Man, I swear sometimes I think some people just WANT to hate everything that is new! I know... unthinkable...

Look at the movies you took your icon from, and then point out  the times that Bilbo (or Gandalf or Strider or anyone) double jumped or had a blue flames animation come out of their back as they glided and get back to us.

The first stuff with hopping over the table, that was cool, but if you don't see that they've overdone it, which makes it not-cool, well, there's no hope.  You've lost perspective.

Tolkein isnt the sole source of fantasy inspiration these days, anyone who has ever read a more recent R.A. Salvatore fight scene, which involves spinning and magic speed enhancing foot gear...

I am certainly not saying one is better than the other, just that there is more than one model to look at.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    So now i'm a little confused.  Are we going to be running around like in the video, doing crazy flips and matrix style moves while also doing our combat, kind of like Age of Wushu?  Or is this parkour stuff its own separate mode?

No, the way I understood it, we CAN move like this. I mean, if you glide down and move over small ledges, your character will animate like this, but high jumping and float you CAN do but have to do it actively.

I REALLY like this aspect. MMO chars were waaaay too stiff all these years. It is cool to see MMOs finally get characters who are capable of full 3-dimensional movement. :)

I dont understand why people are so acidic about this. Dont wanna jump, well then DONT. duh...

A hero is supposed to be a person on top form. I mean, you are going out killing dangerous stuff, so we can assume such characters are athletic and fit. It just adds some cool realism. Like swimming. The more realistic characters and worlds are, the better. (And before you tell me, REAL people cant jump like this, trust me, youtube it, some can. Plus, it is a MAGICAL world. So go figure.) it is just an EXAMPLE what you can do in the world. It is not that the game is a parcour game! Man, I swear sometimes I think some people just WANT to hate everything that is new! I know... unthinkable...

Look at the movies you took your icon from, and then point out  the times that Bilbo (or Gandalf or Strider or anyone) double jumped or had a blue flames animation come out of their back as they glided and get back to us.

The first stuff with hopping over the table, that was cool, but if you don't see that they've overdone it, which makes it not-cool, well, there's no hope.  You've lost perspective.

Tolkein isnt the sole source of fantasy inspiration these days, anyone who has ever read a more recent R.A. Salvatore fight scene, which involves spinning and magic speed enhancing foot gear...

I am certainly not saying one is better than the other, just that there is more than one model to look at.

Here is your proof that real life people can pretty much double jump and do all the stuff in the game hehe.    Link here

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Karble
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Here is your proof that real life people can pretty much double jump and do all the stuff in the game hehe.    Link here

Ninja Kick!! Ninja jump! Ninja climb!

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Triple jump go! Add some Tomb Raider/Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat moves and we'll have... a... um... something something something MMO that does something flashy!

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Frm the interviews, they said parkour will be (and I'm paraphrasing) an added bonus feature integral to the move system.

But yeah, good point with the Wushu comment. Fuck, this doesn't look like parkour anymore, its freakin' "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" mode.

Hah.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

They wanted traveling* to be a sort of mini game / fun experience in itself.  A lot of MMORPGs have stale, pointless, boring time-sink traveling, or no traveling at all (insta-porting everywhere).

So they're doing a few things to change it up and bring some fun back into traveling.

1.  Free-Roaming.  The game is based almost entirely on horizontal progression, so it's a true free-roaming game, making exploring a part of the experience.

2.  Highly mobile characters that move differently through different environments and over different obstacles.

3.  Emergant AI, where the open world changes and is never the same as the day before.

This is not what combat is going to look like though.  Most likely the advanced movement will be disabled during combat to make combat controlled.  But before you enter combat, and afterwards, you can move much more freely.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I understand games evolving , but EQN just looks&sounds bad, at least for me. The Graphics dont even closely resemble EQ 1 or 2, minus race models, but even those are a far stretched. and now this. well some one will enjoy it :)
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

Certainly smoothed out since the reveal. Would it be too nit picky to say that if dshe is a non-fighter type than all the flipping is rather gratuitous?  Class based traveling movements would be pretty neat.  I know there are a few (wizards float and warriors jump+insta-crater)...Maybe rogues and monks get all of these fancy/flippy moves so that it meshes well with the fantasy theme?

Again..I worry I am nit picking because these animations are really well done for an MMORPG.