Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are people getting several level 50s already??

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    This is why MMOs are a joke...They have open betas with no wipe, then early access for those who want to waste money on that......Then the game launches and within a few hours theres a handful of these losers parading around in their max level gear that most will never see......
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Maitrader
    Originally posted by Viper482
    It is ridiculous really, people running with 3+ 50's and so many of us cannot even log in?

^^^^^ THIS... I am livid over this 1017 issue and am contemplating whether I will be playing anymore.... I had a group of 21 people who I was to play with, and unfortunately we got split into three servers.... No word of free server transfers means we may never play as a group. This isn't my story alone either, many people are dealing with the friends/group split. This has got to be the WORST launched game every. Very polished play, but rewarding only to those who are unemployed and have literally 0 responsibility in life. Not that I am talking down to these people... its just unfortunate that square enix did nothing to address this problem for those of us who have responsibilities and a day job... All we wanted to do is log on for a few hours of enjoyment. But unfortunately people are staying logged in AFK or simply have nothing better to do with their lives. LoL they can have it, I seriously have better shit to do.

im sure we will get free server transfers

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    I am happily taking my time and enjoying all the game has to offer, rather than target lvl 50 and "end game". If other's wish to level as fast as possible, let them. As for me, I will spend time leveling my main class, then some time leveling alt classes, including crafting. I just don't see the fun in rushing in this game.

more so if im paying for it, i intend to get my money's worth

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    This is why MMOs are a joke...They have open betas with no wipe, then early access for those who want to waste money on that......Then the game launches and within a few hours theres a handful of these losers parading around in their max level gear that most will never see......

I think you and Mindtrigger are confusing the MMO being a joke and the MMO gamer being a joker...

Yeah, you could solo to cap in FFXIV chasing around FATE and/or grinding, but the game is NOT designed to play that way.

Just like in WoW you could level to cap solo doing nothing but gathering herbs/mining.

Or you could max out your skills for a ship in EvE without even playing the game, just logging in to queue more skills.

Don't let the outliers define your perception of a thing.

Radicals are just that - radical.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

The #1 problem with mmorpgs above all else is not the people racing to cap.  It's the people overly concerned with what level somebody else has and what gear they have.  Those are the actual people with the psychological complex, who will ruin a game because they will now race to cap then start lipping off about the game.  These are the people who cause accidents on the highway because somebody in a sports car passed their Prius and they wish to keep up.

How about just play the game at your own pace and get off other peoples johnson about what level they are? Read the silly translations laugh at how some of the poor translations have made it to voice acting.  Most of all, pray stop whining and being concerned about other peoples levels.  Mayhap people should focus on learning how to perform their role in dungeons.  That's a bigger problem ATM.  There's a huge population of Tanks that don't even know what a Tank is and have no clue how to distinguish who has enmity or why they should be keeping mobs off healers.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Whats so amazing about level 50s? Its been a week ... not really anything new. Some people just grind out what they need, plus FATEs are pretty crazy as far as XP goes ATM. Plus not everyone plays at your pace, im at about the same level but I have tried other classes, and even some crafting and gathering and im not playing 24/7 either.

Considering the pace at which Ive leveled thus far I not surprised if others who played more and focused more on their one class have reached end game already. Ive even seen some in full AF gear already (which I just learned is practically given to you by the time youre 50).

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

I don't get why your rush the level cap. You only ruin the game experience for yourself especially in a world as rich as this. Do some exploration, take in the scenery, listen to the awesome soundtrack, read your quest text, and immerse yourself in the universe. You will get to lvl 50 either way so why not enjoy the trip?

For me its more about the journey than the actual destination. I like fishing, I like crafting, I like involving myself in the game universe. Compared to other games the game universe FF XIV has to offer is much more rich and fulfilling than any recent MMO I have played.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think you and Mindtrigger are confusing the MMO being a joke and the MMO gamer being a joker...

Yeah, you could solo to cap in FFXIV chasing around FATE and/or grinding, but the game is NOT designed to play that way.

Just like in WoW you could level to cap solo doing nothing but gathering herbs/mining.

Or you could max out your skills for a ship in EvE without even playing the game, just logging in to queue more skills.

We've seen this over and over and over again here. If it can be power leveled in a short amount of time, that means even casual players will finish the content fairly quickly.  A month?  Two months at the longer end of "average" play time?  Some people may not mind that, but I do.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Skip all quest, even the story quest. Get a team of 8 people together and pick zones that have lots of fates close together like "East Shroud" and jump from fate to fate. When you get level 15-17 do your main story till you unlock your mount (gona need that for fate jumping) and keep fate jumping till 50. Its the fastest path. Also play all day and night =-)
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Beats me! I haven't been able to play my lvl17 toon since before Labor Day weekend! Keep getting error 1017... "unable to access the NA/EU servers"..... The people who are 50 already must not sleep, eat or log out! haha

Must say I can't wait for tomorrow when I might actually get to log in!!

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

Just remember that those who blew through the content like a race will also be the first to say there is nothing to do at the end.

They will be the ones that say it has no content or a lack of people for end game content .... think of it like scarffing down a steak dinner ... then complaining about the stomach ache after

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

We've seen this over and over and over again here. If it can be power leveled in a short amount of time, that means even casual players will finish the content fairly quickly.  A month?  Two months at the longer end of "average" play time?  Some people may not mind that, but I do.

I don't mind when and how other people level up, or how fast or slow, what matters to me is:

A) is it fun

B) once I'm at the cap, is there still enough to keep me interested in playing?

A month playtime for 60 bucks is great IMO, if I can get another month out of it for 15 bucks that is a great deal.

If I can get continued enjoyment for many months, then hot damn!

You can't force longevity by making things just take longer... for the sake of taking longer so people sub longer. That, to me, is fleecing your customers.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Speedhaak
    I don't see the point in MMOs anymore. People are capped and bored within weeks. There's nothing 'massive' about the massively multiplayer online rpg anymore. 

I dunno about there not being a point, but I do question design that gets players to cap and bored in short order.  That's what you get when the majority of the game is solo ez-mode.  For ex, tons of people are just grinding fates.  Sit in a group.  Move to fate that pops.  Massacre.  Collect xp for doing nothing.  It's utterly mindless and stupid amounts of reward for doing absolutely nothing.  Modern MMORPG "gameplay" at it's "finest" (or crappiest).  This is the kind of post WoW clone design that leads to failed games.

I also think it's pretty dumb that they let "legacy" players keep their characters.  Shortcutting their new version even more seems kinda silly when there isn't going to be much of anything for those players to do.  Better to let them have 2.0 free, wipe them, and have them start over.  Less goofiness in server types too.

I'm not rushing and have friends I play with who haven't been able to get in the game consistently.  Probably could be 50 in one class/job instead of having multiple classes going, all classes unlocked, crafting and gathering going on, etc.

Does it really matter if someone else beats you to 50?  Meh.  Who cares.  Hitting 50 in a game like FFXIV is a non accomplishment.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

A month playtime for 60 bucks is great IMO, if I can get another month out of it for 15 bucks that is a great deal.

Sad to say but this is what MMO's have become for me. :(

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I don't mind when and how other people level up, or how fast or slow, what matters to me is:

A) is it fun

B) once I'm at the cap, is there still enough to keep me interested in playing?

You can't force longevity by making things just take longer... for the sake of taking longer so people sub longer. That, to me, is fleecing your customers.

I disagree.  I want a long term MMO, myself.  Gameplay systems make that possible, as we will see in upcoming games.

I've never looked at a game and thought "yeah I got $60 worth".  Money has never been a factor for me.  I'd pay $50-60 a month for a worthy MMO. For a year+ I was paying for three accounts in SWG.  $45 per month, and well worth it back then.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The feel I get from those level 50s is somewhat mixed. If they enjoyed getting to 50 so fast then no problem, but more worried them calling out for more content, while most of the content they ignored while following the path with the least resistance.

Okay my experiance with the game is somewhat limited as I only attended the last open beta 3 but during that time I noticed the game had allot more to offer then just their main story quest, normal quests or Fate's. Again no problem if players like to do only that in a MMORPG.

I still wish for more fantasy based full "end game" games similar to what we know as COD, Battlefield, but in a fantasy setting. Cause personaly once I reach end game and the game turns more into a multyplayer game I feel that's what many rush to end game player want yet not getting because that market is overrun with FPS multiplayer games and the few that have tried have unfortunaly faild grasping what it is end game players want the most....atleats in my opinion which of course doesn't have to be right. Sorry for the little derail....

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Leveling up through the FATE system is way too easy (already made a post how to in another thread). Version 1.0 Vanilla was a pain to level up... compared to games released in the past 5 years... not comparing them to Lineage II, EVE Online, or FFXI Vanilla as a few examples.

Version 1.0 at around the 1.18-1.19 patch made it much easier due to the power leveling scheme that was introduced/allowed. Version 2.0 is just way too easy with the FATE system alone. Add all the other stuff to it and you can see why the first couple of classes you level up will end up going really fast.

You don't even need to try that hard, and you will see those levels go up.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I think this is the final straw for me.  I have been considering buying the game and checking it out, but if it's yet another MMO that can be power leveled in a short amount of time, I'm not interested.

This also means, as we have seen many times in the past now, that the game is going to become boring for a lot of players within a month.  I expect we may start seeing the first posts with subjects like "Level capped, bored, nothing do to." within a week or so.

People have already been quitting in droves due to how boring the game is, they start to level a 2nd class and relize there is no quests so they just quit, IMO they should spawn quests at all the hubs for each class, that way people can play how they want instead of being forced in to leves and fates.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Husvik
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    I am happily taking my time and enjoying all the game has to offer, rather than target lvl 50 and "end game". If other's wish to level as fast as possible, let them. As for me, I will spend time leveling my main class, then some time leveling alt classes, including crafting. I just don't see the fun in rushing in this game.

This^^^

^

i do exactly this. When i purchase a game and hit end game it a couple of days i feel like i just wasted my money. I take all the time i need to experience the game that took many years to develop.

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Most likely Legacy and if not that, the game is stupid easy. Sorry but it is, as are almost all MMO's these days. Wouldn't want it to be a challenge, might scare away some of the money. Accessible is the key to the suites making all that bank. Challenge? Accomplishment? Nah we don't need those things, they are games after all. Sorry, it's just getting old.
  • obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82

im also concerned by the number of people at the 'endgame' and im not sure how well the game is designed for it.  one reason ive had a hard time getting into many mmos is because the way this 'wow-esque' gear progression works (everyone has the same items, whether crafted or raid drops, basically copy and pasted gear, that takes set path, relatively little cost, or repetitive action to obtain, in a pve non-competition world).  so the endgame basically revolves around completing 'hard mode' (if you can really call them that, as its basically the same content with some artificial gear-check difficulty) raids over and over to get these copy and pasted items.  i do remember way back in the day when non-maxed AC and EQ accounts were selling on ebay for hundreds of dollars just because after months they were the furthest, most experienced on the server and they werent even at a fraction of maxed on xp let alone endgame gear.

this game is a lot of fun so far and i work freelance so ive been playing a lot these last days off, i take my time to read almost everything (its well written imo) and enjoy the trip but im worried that after a few days of 6 hours im already too far into the game.  in ff11 id barely be at level 15 at this rate and still broke in bronze gear.

the game world, at least so far, also seems much smaller than ff11, besides progressing through much faster and easier.  im not sure if they expected most players to only play for an hour or two a day or what, but a good MMO is something i like to really sink my teeth into.  maybe they had to 'fix' so much from original 14 (that i didnt try) that focus on the game world as a whole got put aside and the amount of content was thought to be 'good enough.'  it took me a few months to hit around 40 after swtor went f2p but i was busier and paced myself out.  this game the difficulty level gets just right for pve id say (i do agree with above post though) but im not sure about the amount of content.

level 50 should take the omg-im-gonna-rush-everything-and-twitchtv-it im so pro crowd at least 2 months, and should be a long journey for most players... i understand they wanted to speed things up from 11 and appeal to a bigger crowd but i feel they may have gone a few steps too far and lack a fully fleshed out gameworld space to merit a recurring playerbase rather than a one and done purchaser.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I don't care why. Simple as that.   This is the first time in a long time I'm enjoying a game and with my friends and spouse.  So why on Earth would I care why other people level fast, or slow, or hate the game, or love the game, or pick their nose in public, or sleep with their pet iguana, or wipe their butts with tin foil?  I just don't care.

I play to have fun and make new friends along the way as a bonus.  I don't judge others or care how they play.  As a matter of fact, not to change the subject a little but, yesterday I did a dungeon with 3 newbies.  We wiped twice.   Now me being an old timer, been playing mmo's since eq1, could have said, you guys stink and left the group.  Instead, I asked them if they wanted some old timers advice on what they were doing wrong.  First, the healer was fighting more then healing.  The DPS were stealing aggro like it was free donuts at Dunkin Donuts and then me, the Tank, dying faster then my wife runs to the Prada store on sale day.

After a couple more tries, the newbies did it perfectly.  They were so happy about it they thanked me for hours later.  lol

There is fun in teaching but only if you learn not to judge others, not to give a crap about others play style and just try to remember, it's a game.  Have fun and stop caring about weather or not the sun will burn out.  Some day it will, but just not today.

There is a lot to do if you want to play the game at a pace where you can enjoy the story line and all the game has to offer.

But if rushing to the end is your thing, you paid for it, have at it.   Me, I'm going at a nice fun pace, to enjoy it for as long as I can.

imageimage

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by DMKano

I hit 50 on Saturday - leveling is super fast in this game

Things I had going in my favor - my guildies are RL friends that I've played MMOs with since 1999, so we are a tight group - we rip through content in any game.

I've never played FF games (I am not a fan of the lore) - but decided to try it as all my buddies were in on it, so what the heck.

Now two of them were FFpros, they have toons on legacy server but we started fresh.

Main story line - completed

Ifrit on hardmode - completed (for blue weapon)

side quests completed - like 1 or 2, basically skipped all of those

Dungeon runs - We ran all of them at least once up to level 50, some were required for main story.

The rest was FATES XP grinding and huntlogs for XP spikes.

That's it - basically no screwing around, always in a guild group - 50 easy as pie.

The leveling is WAY fast in this game, I think it took us a week to hit 80 in GW2, this was faster.

Also the world is *tiny* IMO, one of the smallest online worlds I've ever played. But it is amazingly well done and jam packed with stuff (that we mostly skipped honestly).

Now my plan is to take it easy and level up other jobs.

I wouldn't call the world size tiny, its probably about twice the size of vanilla Rift.  Which still puts it on the small side but not terrible.

Leveling speed is too fast, way too fast.  Its slower than vanilla Rift and SWTOR were, but with the way FATE grinding is a borderline exploit (high exp, *zero* risk or skill) you can max out way too fast.  And FATEs are even faster for your other classes.

The fantastic crafting system is hurt by the fast leveling speed and FATE system, because you outlevel gear too fast and FATEs are so easy when done with zerg groups that gear doesnt matter.

No fast leveling game has *ever* had good retention.  Thats going to be FFXIV's biggest challenge, overcoming that.  Will the other classes and crafting and all the other stuff be the difference maker?  WEll see.

Its a fantastic game marred by the inability to realize that fast leveling = huge drop in subs after the first 2-3 months. 

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    I had some guy trampling all over me in the beginning area with his level 50 and honkin' BIG black mount. I was wondering about that too...I actually like the P L A Y the game and take my time.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I've managed to actually log in enough to play one class to 19 so far. I log out even when I need to take 1/2 hour break, and my days are pretty packed with stuff to do. I spent the entire 3 day weekend trying to log in... 

I really hope they manage to better the login process tonight, I can't wait to sink a long day this upcoming weekend.