Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Lots of "gamey" elements here....

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
Seems lots of gamey stuff is getting into EQN, a hit against simulative immersion, and more stuff for quick giggles and fun. (i.e., cartoonish graphics, only two weapons per class, etc...) 

Comments

• KilmaulKilmaul Corning, NYPosts: 38Member Uncommon
    NO!  Not fun!  Anything but that!!
  • ApraxisApraxis RegensburgPosts: 1,515Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Seems lots of gamey stuff is getting into EQN, a hit against simulative immersion, and more stuff for quick giggles and fun. (i.e., cartoonish graphics, only two weapons per class, etc...) 

Less simulative, cartoonish graphics? Only two weapons?

So you prefer ASCII graphics, like the real simulations, like Dwarfen Fortress more?

And combat reduced to attack only(no skills bound to weapon), but all possible weapons instead? More old schoolish?

Well.. i guess it is a matter of preference.. but i will take the better looking stylized graphic look, and i am more comfortable with a few more skills and tactical options.. although i am ok with less.. and i really enjoy the simulativeness of dwarfen fortress and really wish mmos would be as deep as that game.. but it is expecting too much.

Dwarfen Fortress

• AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,657Member Uncommon
    "Gamey" stuff in a game? I'm confused what else would there be?
  • DrakephireDrakephire Fontana, CAPosts: 445Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Allein
    "Gamey" stuff in a game? I'm confused what else would there be?

OP wants 'worky' stuff, and 'schooly' stuff, and 'politicy' stuff, and maybe 'religiousy' stuff.

• KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member
    The OP want more simulative stuff or as I interpret it more realism.  So he needs a game that doesn't have any mythological creatures,  no magic, the cities and country have to be real places, no over the top movement.  All in all it sounds like he really wants to play a different ... game? ...
  • AmarantharAmaranthar OhioPosts: 2,430Member Uncommon

I agree, OP. I'm afraid that this is revealing the core philosophy behind the game. I hope we're both wrong, but we'll have to wait to see. I'm not hopeful.

Once upon a time....

• FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member Common
    Originally posted by Kyllien
    The OP want more simulative stuff or as I interpret it more realism.  So he needs a game that doesn't have any mythological creatures,  no magic, the cities and country have to be real places, no over the top movement.  All in all it sounds like he really wants to play a different ... game? ...

Yeah I think you maybe right.I think he wants a game with a bit of a challenge to it.You know? One where you have more than 1 hotbar and don't have gimmiky graphics and auto jump/roll/dive/spread legs/roll kind of stuff.A game where you need to join with other people to do something instead of solo zerging or changing class on the spot? Maybe some people don't like having to wait 10 minutes for a role to progress but for me its a way of forming a community,but all that is dead now in MMO'RPG' games.

Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge

• feena750feena750 Federal Way, WAPosts: 331Member Uncommon
    ESO is definitely more realistic, but actually has less hotbar abilities than EQ next.  It has 6 while EQ next has 8.  Also why do you think EQ next won't be hard or need other people?  Just because you can do some cool acrobatic tricks?
  • AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,657Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Yeah I think you maybe right.I think he wants a game with a bit of a challenge to it.You know? One where you have more than 1 hotbar and don't have gimmiky graphics and auto jump/roll/dive/spread legs/roll kind of stuff.A game where you need to join with other people to do something instead of solo zerging or changing class on the spot? Maybe some people don't like having to wait 10 minutes for a role to progress but for me its a way of forming a community,but all that is dead now in MMO'RPG' games.

Could you share some of your insider knowledge of EQN, since you seem to have a better grasp on it then everyone else here?

Or should I just help you out...."I don't know very much about this game but I dislike the graphics and game design so it sucks."

Can't tell if some of you are trolling or if you really believe what you're saying...

• arcatomarcatom plymouth, MAPosts: 33Member

You can still go and play those games with the challenges you seek. EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, Rift, etc.. all of those games have what you want, and I only named a few. You can even go play project 99 if you want to be that hardcore.

EQN isn't ever going to be EQ remade. They are changing the way they do things. To judge the game at this stage and say its a Zerg solo fest is not a fair statement. There is such a vast amount we still don't know yet. 

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
         I think the OP is saying he wants a reason to LOG into a world in which his avatar lives in....... NOT play a game that makes you look for the arcade coin slot to put your quarter in.. 
  • KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member

Well the OP really needs to explain what he means.  This game is in heavy in developement and they have released only a little tiny bit.  Why don't we all just wait and see what they release in the next weeks and months. 

Landmark is coming out this winter and will be free to play.  When it come out download it, play with it for a while, then if you really can't accept the direction they went then you just stop playing. 

But most of all keep your comments in perspective.  They have not shown how the parkour movement system will work in combat.  I hope they implement collisions and you have to use some way of moving around the enemy and they around you, and around each other.

As far as the character graphics are concerned we have only seen a few builds.  Wait until you get ahold of the character builder then determine if you can't make a character look the way you want.

Most of all have patience, there is no reason to burn yourself out of the game so far ahead of its release.

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    EQN is totally unrealistic in this regard. In real life, every class can use more than two weapons.
  • EnrifEnrif PforzheimPosts: 151Member Uncommon

so you want a simulator not a game. Or how about The Sims, SimCity and the stuff. maybe thats the kind of"not gamey" game you want

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Originally posted by Enrif

so you want a simulator not a game. Or how about The Sims, SimCity and the stuff. maybe thats the kind of"not gamey" game you want

How about a serious game with Rift or Tera level of graphics coupled with an open world and sandbox elements?

How about a serious game with Rift or Tera level of graphics coupled with an open world and sandbox elements?

Then you should look at Black Desert and not on EQN

• ZorlofeZorlofe Whitehouse, TXPosts: 187Member
    Maybe EQN will have elements that both hardcore gamers and non-hardcore gamers will both appreciate. Maybe that's what some of those elements that you are referring to are...

Hmm? Ok.. then you worded your OP completely wrong. Because Rift, Tera are a lot less of a simulation and a lot more gamey, both are full blown out themeparks.. with gamey stuff all over the place, or only gamey stuff to be more specific... and how works your second part open world and sandbox elements in the two most probably most themeparkish game ever(with the exception of WoW).. so what do you really want?

If you would make them more sandboxish, you would need to cut out a lot of stuff from both games. Like all that progression gear shit, the quest/instance/raid focus, introduce a lot more sandbox elements(which both don't have at all) and actually make a open world.. in the end they may look a lot more similar to what EQN is looking now.

Or do you only complain intricately about the graphic style (once again)? (because graphics are top notch, the technical point of view) Especially because you do not have more, even less weapons in Tera in comparsion to EQN. In all honestly.. you should really be more specific.

Then you should look at Black Desert and not on EQN

I guess he would not like that, too. Because i further guess he don't want any pvp in his game. But that is just speculation on my part. Maybe try out Final Fantasy.. the current version is out now.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,915Member Uncommon

Difficulty doesn't have much to do with UI....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Originally posted by Distopia

Difficulty doesn't have much to do with UI....

Well apperently some people think "many hotbars=difficult!!!, 8 buttons=Facerollololol" But honestly some of the hardest games has very few buttons and some of the faceroller games have lots and lots.

Or how the devs perfectly stated "They want the player to play the game, not the hotbar"

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member
    OP, that's a bad way of writing that you don't like that the simplified mechanics lean toward an arcade MOBA like focus rather than leaning toward being a realistic simulation of a fantasy world. That's alright, as everyone has their preferences but I am not sure its fair to criticize the release on those grounds anymore than its fair to write that checkers is a bad game compared to chess.  They are both fun for their target audience even if they don't appeal to you.
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Berkley, MIPosts: 226Member Uncommon

From what I read, EQN: More attention to strategy and less on how many weapons and types of armor you can wear.

Less on graphics means more PCs and Lappies can play.

Less on weapon types means more time for content.

To me...strategy sounds difficult? A changing battle scene forcing a group to change up tactics mid fight? This sounds pretty neat to me. EQ was pretty fun and hard and heavily contested which made it even more hard. But just because not everything is contested doesn't 'not' make it fun. There are great elements from Everquest that I feel should be in my idea of 'the perfect' MMORPG but having a tank stand and take a beating, then a cleric stand up when his HP was down, heal then sit back down again...that got boring...fast. I had to play an Enchanter just to keep me busy and mostly I was 2boxing a Chanter (Crowd Control and Mana Regen) and a Rogue(DPS) just to stay busy. My partner who 2boxed a Monk and Cleric could take on just about anything a full group could because we knew how each encounter worked. How to split mobs up and fight them down without casualties. The main problem though was no AI. It was all agro-based which made it predictable.

I’m not sure what everyone is getting all uppity about. You only have so much freetime, if you spend it on EQN and have fun doing it then whats the problem? There will not be an Everquest clone or WoW Clone(thank god) in EQN. We will hear what EQN really is when the NDA is lifted. Speculation while fun is still just speculation

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

From what I read, EQN: More attention to strategy and less on how many weapons and types of armor you can wear.

To me...strategy sounds difficult? A changing battle scene forcing a group to change up tactics mid fight? This sounds pretty neat to me. EQ was pretty fun and hard and heavily contested which made it even more hard. But just because not everything is contested doesn't 'not' make it fun. There are great elements from Everquest that I feel should be in my idea of 'the perfect' MMORPG but having a tank stand and take a beating, then a cleric stand up when his HP was down, heal then sit back down again...that got boring...fast. I had to play an Enchanter just to keep me busy and mostly I was 2boxing a Chanter (Crowd Control and Mana Regen) and a Rogue(DPS) just to stay busy. My partner who 2boxed a Monk and Cleric could take on just about anything a full group could because we knew how each encounter worked. How to split mobs up and fight them down without casualties. The main problem though was no AI. It was all agro-based which made it predictable.

I’m not sure what everyone is getting all uppity about. You only have so much freetime, if you spend it on EQN and have fun doing it then whats the problem? There will not be an Everquest clone or WoW Clone(thank god) in EQN. We will hear what EQN really is when the NDA is lifted. Speculation while fun is still just speculation

A good, solid, second post. Congratulation.

Edit/PS: And welcome to the mmorpg.com madness.

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

I think this is . . . well it's wishful thinking. I like what you're saying and I want the same thing - I do love more strategy and more depth to game interaction. But, while I don't know for sure, I feel that I can safely speculate that tactics and strategy won't really be very involved and zerging will be a more popular style.

People hate hearing this, but GW2 has a lot of depth, but for your general public, they prefer to zerg, rez and continue zerging than to seek out that deeper play style. I'm just saying, that the whole soft trinity thing exists fully in GW2, as well as smarter mob AI that never gets a mention, but people ignore it because they can.

Now if SOE can pull a rabbit out of their hat and find that balance between, content being difficult enough that it can't be zerged, while not so easy that playing in their MOBA inspired class roles marginalizes it, then they'll have something, but right now it's too early to say for sure. I hope I'm wrong.