Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aggro Stealing - Why does leashed mob change 'owners'

So I've started doing a lil farming on my lvl 30, and I've noticed some lvl 50's have a 'trick' of hitting a mob you have aggro on and running it out till it leashes.

That part I understand - but _why_ do they then 'own' the mob when it leashes?  I've got DoTs up on the mob, as soon as its looking for a new target, it should come back to me?  Instead, it seems to _always_ go to the other player ?

Comments

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by mech4221

So I've started doing a lil farming on my lvl 30, and I've noticed some lvl 50's have a 'trick' of hitting a mob you have aggro on and running it out till it leashes.

That part I understand - but _why_ do they then 'own' the mob when it leashes?  I've got DoTs up on the mob, as soon as its looking for a new target, it should come back to me?  Instead, it seems to _always_ go to the other player ?

Just because you have initial claim, doesn't mean you get to keep it.

Look on the bright side, as long as you claim it you always get 100% reward.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Basic aggro fundamentals.  A level 50 should aggro any mob engaged in a fight with a much lower player.  It is also quite unrealistic to expect to hold aggro over a mob after a player 20 levels above you has struck it.  As mentioned by the above poster, however, this is remedied by the fact you still get 100% credit for engaging it first. 

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I think you guys are missing the point. Others are stealing aggro, running the mob out until it resets (to the end of its "leash"), and then grabbing ownership of the freshly reset mob. Essentially, they are being big jerks and stealing the mob by abusing the mechanics.

SE would need to change the mechanics or something so that a mob reset this way would still be tied to the original owner for a short period of time (even a second or two would suffice).

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• mech4221mech4221 Member Posts: 33

I wish people would read...

I understand the aggro mechanic...

What I don't understand is how they can 'hit' a reset mob, faster then my dots ?

Its like the 'reset' is doesn't clear the aggro list, and the mob gets 'owned' by the player highest on the aggro list before it 'reset'.

• mech4221mech4221 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

Umm...No, thats the problem - if I 'claim' a mob, and someone runs it out of aggro range, I get nothing...

as it seems to 'remember' who was highest on the aggro list before it reset, and sets itself to their 'claim'.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Blazeyer
    Originally posted by mech4221

Stupid level 50's?

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Hmm that could become an issue if more lvl 50's start doing that.  However, most mob's respawn fairly quickly, and you can get the same drops (ie skins/sinews etc) from a butt load of different mobs...

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent