Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst community by a country mile

OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48

The community of this game absolutely appalls me. The amount of griefing and harrassment that goes on in this game these days is absolutely disgusting.

I'm a 4 year vet in the game yet I feel the overwhelming amount of idiots in the game is finally breaking me down. The fckery is rampant and completely unchecked.

Comments

• Zarak11Zarak11 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Play some DotA then,ul see the difference.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Zarak11

DOTA communities are like little angels compared to wretched people that play EVE.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Zarak11Zarak11 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

DOTA communities are like little angels compared to wretched people that play EVE.

nice joke mate :D

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by bdew
    [mod edit]

I'd say built for and by closet sociopaths and CPA wonnabes, but close enough.

That having been said, I wouldn't call it the worst community -- that dubious honor I'd probably give to AoC. There are some really, really nice people playing Eve, many of them shockingly full of themselves and the game design itself makes it difficult to impossible to trust that they aren't playing you, but I have it on good authority that at least some of them aren't. On the other hand, you'll be hard pressed to find a game where more of the player population doesn't see it as its duty to try and make the rest of the player population as miserable as absolutely possible.

It's telling that the best advice you can give a newbie is "Trust no one", and that said advice is usually followed by "You have to find people to group with to have fun in the game".

Eve is nothing, if not filled with irony.

And bad physics.

In any event, I boggle at how often people rant on around here about WoW having the worst community. Compared to games like Eve and AoC? Not even remotely close to the worst. Not the best, to be sure, but far closer to the middle of the pack than either extreme.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I feel the opposite, that EVE has one of the best communities I've seen online so far. The problem is that people think it's personal when they get their stuff blown up and they conflate a complete lack of sympathy for poor decision-making with being "bad."
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I've been playing EVE for just shy of a year, so not long, but I can honestly say I have not had any issues with the community. If you buy crap in local chat, you will get scammed, literally every deal being made in local is a scam. Whenever I am in Jita/Amarr/Dodi/Rens I literally don't use local for anything but seeing if hostiles are in the system. Then again, I also don't live in high sec so I've learned how to protect myself.

Also, if you read the EVE forums, they are only slightly less hostile than the forums here. So... don't read the forums. There is literally nothing of any value on the EVE forums anyway, unless you are looking for a Corp.

Beyond that, my experience has been pretty much positive. My Corp/Alliance is great, most of the time when I get involved in PVP no words are spoken, or if there are, its a simple "gf" at the end. And frankly, if someone is going to rage over losing a ship in EVE, this simply isn't the game for them.

EVE is not a game for trolls. It's a game that greatly rewards risk, and greatly punishes stupidity. If you apply even a tiny amount of operational security and situational awareness in EVE, its all but impossible to lose a ship. And even if you do - that is the driving factor of this game.

Most modern MMORPGs are built around giving you more - EVE isn't. EVE is built around loss, forcing you to manage what you have carefully. If people don't like that, it is a matter of them not liking EVE - not the community. If you go AFK in space, fly blindly into low-sec with an expensive PVE ship/indy, don't check local, by from people you don't trust, give people access to your funds/assets you don't know - you honestly kind of deserve to get scammed since these things are all known to be dangerous in EVE even by people who don't even play the game.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Onsaboo

The community of this game absolutely appalls me. The amount of griefing and harrassment that goes on in this game these days is absolutely disgusting.I'm a 4 year vet in the game yet I feel the overwhelming amount of idiots in the game is finally breaking me down. The fckery is rampant and completely unchecked.

Did you happen to visit high-sec, where actual population is? I think you might have just realized how people are outside of your corp, how they are anywhere on internetz.

EVE isn't made for griefers, it is made for player freedom.

While there are way to grief and harrass people, there are also ways to defend against or avoid it. It's up to each own to find their way.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by bdew
    [mod edit]

I'd say built for and by closet sociopaths and CPA wonnabes, but close enough.

+1  :)

But what's with AoC? It has a community with only the average share of trolls and idiots, I wouldn't call it the worst. (true, at launch it was full with "yee, naked b00bz" kiddies, but they usually left after 1-2 years :) )

I must add however that I play only on Crom, so I have no experience with the pvp servers. Many years ago I've made an alt on Fury to help a buddy with instances, but that was just a short detour - and the community there wasn't bad or good, it was non-existant... I guess the term "ghost town" is appropriate :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Take it as you will. I don't think you have kept yourself up to date the things that went on in EVE in past few years if you think DOTA communities are worse. I am not talking about angry cursing preteens but some real serious stuff like telling people to find and harass a guy to make him kill himself. I guess you never heard of Mittani.And i don't even want to go on into scamming and griefing that go on daily basis.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Take it as you will. I don't think you have kept yourself up to date the things that went on in EVE in past few years if you think DOTA communities are worse. I am not talking about angry cursing preteens but some real serious stuff like telling people to find and harass a guy to make him kill himself. I guess you never heard of Mittani.And i don't even want to go on into scamming and griefing that go on daily basis.

Nobody with any sense would hold up Mittens as a stellar example of the community and there are few scams that don't absolutely NEED the mark to attempt to take advantage of someone else's apparent stupidity in order to catch them. If you think you're getting something for nothing in EVE, you're about to get scammed and nobody should have any sympathy for you when it happens.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Clearly you haven't played EVE.

I've played DOTA for a pretty long time and EVE used to be my go-to sandbox MMO until the douchebaggery of the eve community got the better of me and i quit.

Trust your fellow nerds here, the different DOTA dommunities out there are nothing compared to EVEs'

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    LOL! Eve have best community ever and it is only game with friendly help channels where 100+ people help rookies all the time. I think your anger comes from fact that you are probably bad at pvp, now you lost few ships and you are angry on all world. One day you will learn and you will be able to find some friends
  • Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

It has to do with the shit kids that are growing up today.

The times are moving forward, technology is moving forward.

Many people spend A LOT of their time on the internet now instead of face to face with friends in real life.

That seriously change peoples attitude, how they behave and so on.

Kids growing up today don't have enough restrictions in their life, they are able to run rampant as they see fit, their behavior reflects that throughout the way they socialize aswell.

Teachers in schools being scared of some of the children they have in their classes, and it's happening quite a bit.

It didn't use to be like that before.

Sure, many of these people are 20-30-40 year olds that are immature or simply complete assbags.

Not blaming asshat behavior in online games today on just teenagers and kids, doing that would be ignorant.

In some games, the older people are the majority by far, that acts bad.

It has to do with the way social and the online era is moving about.

Back in 2002-2004 we still had assbags in online gaming, but it wasn't as broad and out as it is today.

Playing a game online in 2013 is mainstream, back in 1999-2003-2004 it wasn't like that at all.

Back then many people I knew called me a geek quite often, you don't hear much of that anymore.

It's changing, and not for the better.

I'm actually getting worried for the future of humanity.

Because good behavior and acting like an adult once you grow up has to do with having parents that use their brain properly and educate their children properly.

Too many kids just grow up doing whatever the heck they want and don't get proper parenting because said parents should have never gotten children in the first place.

I really believe that in 20-30 years time, maybe not even that far into the future, crimerates will have blown up completely.

Rude people everywhere, people stealing like crazy, acting like assbags, humanity at it's finest.

Still, I pray that I'm wrong, I really do.

And no, this is not a doomsday post, I don't roll like that.

Like amg, the world is falling down yo, ruuuuuunnnn! =o

I just think this thread fit this kind of post.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    You whiners should not play serious game as EVE.  Can't stand your whining on all possible forums and gaming chats  in this world
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I've seen both wretched depravity and unnecessary kindness in EVE. Having said that, you can't trust anyone in the game that you don't know in RL because the sport-rape aspect of the game is very real. There are e-sadists on there because it's a PvP oriented game, and the jollies are there for the taking.

Just be prepared for danger and don't fly anything you can't afford to replace.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Now, if the EVE community rallied behind Mittani and approved of what he said, then I could see you using that as some kind of example. However, you picked an example where a very popular, high profile member of the community said what he said, and the majority of the EVE community was very clear in expressing that they felt what he did was inappropriate and unacceptable.

Seems like a sign of a pretty decent community to me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

And yet WoW has parents that let children die due to neglect.... whose worse?

EVE is your typical open-world PvP centric crowd.  They are not full of carebears who rage on forums when things don't go their way.  EVE is your cutthroat corperate mentality, but far from kiddish.  Won't say mature as age isn't maturity and there are plenty of griefers in the game.

EVE has a much more tightnite community has there are actual reliance on others unlike all the themepark MMOs.

Originally posted by furbans

And yet WoW has parents that let children die due to neglect.... whose worse?

EVE is your typical open-world PvP centric crowd.  They are not full of carebears who rage on forums when things don't go their way.  EVE is your cutthroat corperate mentality, but far from kiddish.  Won't say mature as age isn't maturity and there are plenty of griefers in the game.

I take exception to this view that the forums are not drowning in the tears of bears.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    post the KM, let it all out.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

This is the problem with open-world/sandbox/pvp games, they lend themselves very well to that 10% of the population that most of us consider as undesireable.  I would guess that 10% of Eve is people who just spam local, create margin scams, create scammy contracts, gatecamp, steal from their corp and can-flip/bump miners.  It is an awesome game with lots of freedom but sadly many people in the world who have never fought for freedom dont know how to use it responsibly.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Rekindle
    post the KM, let it all out.

I second this.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    EVE is a game where relations between players and trust really matters, which makes the social aspect truly amazing compared to other mmos.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Robert_S4

Many people spend A LOT of their time on the internet now instead of face to face with friends in real life.

You know how you can tell that someone grew old? They say things like "kids these days"...and old people have been doing all the way back to Hesiod almost 3,000 years ago. So either society has been in a constant state of decline or old people need to get a life so they something to look forward to again and stop looking to the past as being "better".

And no, old has nothing to do with age, its a mindset.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    EVE is a game where relations between players and trust really matters, which makes the social aspect truly amazing compared to other mmos.

This is probably the most true statement of the entire thread, as made evident by many of the varied comments in this very thread. Open world sandbox games are the ultimate expression in gaming freedom, but that also leads to some of the worst behavior you will see anywhere. It's any wonder why so many sandbox games are either unpopular, or earn an overall negative reputation. I remember being at Jessica Mulligan's keynote address of Turbine Nation '04, where she mused if the people who created bots just to kill noobs as they came from portal space the first time logged in from prison, and the laughter from the audience had an air of nervousness behind it. Probably from those who were running unattended macros at the time....killing noobs on Darktide.

EVE has come full circle though, it would seem. Where it used to win "mmo of the year" from this very website consistently, to now being lauded as having the "worst online community". Games earn their reputations, so I have little to doubt that the EVE community is degrading.

Of course, the world needs villains for heroes to exist, right? Unfortunately for online gaming, villains seemingly win the war of attrition, as the "heroes" lose patience for something that is supposed to be a hobby and fun.

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Robert_S4

You know how you can tell that someone grew old? They say things like "kids these days"...and old people have been doing all the way back to Hesiod almost 3,000 years ago. So either society has been in a constant state of decline or old people need to get a life so they something to look forward to again and stop looking to the past as being "better".

And no, old has nothing to do with age, its a mindset.

I wrote something more about that a bit further down.

What I said was, adult people can and will be bad too, humans are humans, regardless of the age.

Still, I remember in my early teens I was more immature then I am today, in my late teens things improved and when I passed 18-20 years old things improved a bit on the maturity side.

Though, I was slow to mature, as I have a mind that was stuck in a child / teenager mindset for quite a bit longer time then the average person.

At the moment I'm starting to near 30 years old but I am still quite childish and can in no way be stuffed into the box of a typical person saying: Oh kids these days, grow up, bla bla bla!

So on my end that's simply not true.

Still, parenting has gotten worse over the years, I would say too much time infront of tv's / monitors in general is a part of the cause, kids / teenagers being stuck infront of the screen that is.

Parents are using computers, tablets, game consoles to parent their children when they don't have time for them.

Where I live it's quite rampant actually, also with people I know, adults are too busy working, doing what they want with their spare time and so on.

Many of them should never have gotten children with the type of lifestyle they prefer to live.

But alas, growing up, get a good education, get a good job, get married, get children.

It's the cornerstone of humanity that most all live by and if you don't follow it then you are considered weird by a lot of people.

I remember my mother once said that someone she knew and her husband decided that they didn't want to have children as they just felt it would be too much fuss.

They haven't gotten any yet and have been married for over 15 years at least, to my knowledge.

A friend of the woman openly said that she thought they were being very very selfish for not having children.

I mean, what the flying heck?

The world, many countries are overpopulated as heck, if they find a way to have people live a lot longer then they do, along with many families getting 2-4 children instead of just one.

This world of ours is going to get seriously overpopulated.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~