Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of the BIG reasons why people are sick of certain MMOs

2»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Subscriptions are the cash grab games.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Wow. Yeah a game with a flat monthly subscription that includes everything... oh just.. wow. Thanks for the laugh!! That is bloody hilarious!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Subscriptions are the cash grab games.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Wow. Yeah a game with a flat monthly subscription that includes everything... oh just.. wow. Thanks for the laugh!! That is bloody hilarious!

This tickled me too. I assume JasonJ has not noticed what has happened to F2P in the couple of years since it has become an accepted financial model for MMO's? Already F2P MMO's have subscriptions and the degree of P2W has been ramped up. Once you are accepted you can start to show the direction you are heading in and F2P is showing its true colours already.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I still feel there isn't a MMORPG that has come close to what SWG delivered to me. And no SWG wasn't my first it was my 4th. Meridian59 my first was okay, UO was okay, EQ just didn't click with me even after several attempts. It was SWG that gave me this virtual world feel for the first time.

But it has more to do with me wanting a different experiance than the experiance I already get in other genre of games.

I truly wish I could have played SWG as it looks like a game that would have really resonated with me. I've been a fan of Star Wars since I was 6 and my then parents had me watch the originals with them. It looks exactly like what a Star Wars MMO should be. It's a shame SW:TOR didn't copy the game with just better graphics.

You can still play SWG pre cu - the original version.

Google will tell you how. ;-)

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

MMORPG's

Too slow combat

Too easy

No solo challenge

WoW clones.

sums it up really.

----

I play Diablo 3 HARDCORE only.

Adaptable solo challenge.

Player driven economy.

Fast combat.

No pricks needed to down content.

Enter/Leave without hastle or long attunements.

End game starts at hardcore level 1 (Monster play set at 10).

"You have one life and you trade with future death"

MMO's are for pussies. 

If Blizzard adds an open world to roam and random challenge dungeons (like promised) in the next expansion, it will be a dream come true.

MMORPG's : the end.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

My first MMO was UO, which was absolutely amazing. It felt like you could do so many things, and it took years for other titles to start offering some of those features (like mounts, housing, boats, taming, fluctuating economy, harvesting). The PvP also had a very wild west feeling that I really enjoyed, but which sadly turned away many players.

Everquest though was equally amazing. It wasn't the sandbox that UO was, nor did it have nearly as many non-combat features. But the world and setting was great. The quests were fun. Being 3d really helped. It was my first taste of raiding which was a blast, and after the period after they added the epic quests was fantastic.

From there it was a mixed bag. Most of the titles after Everquest had some things I really loved,but other features that hurt them.

Dark Age of Camelot was mediocre in the PvE department, but the PvP was fun, and the epic quests were the start of something we'd see more of in later years. Asheron's Call had great events, and a nice skills system, but was butt ugly and felt clunky. Anarchy Online was beautiful and had a nice generated dungeon system, but the classes just felt off.

Star Wars Galaxies was probably the next big thing for me. It had most of the same features as UO, but in 3D, and in a larger and more familiar setting. That was years after my first MMO, and after my second big MMO moment which was just as important. Despite its bugs, and its often unchallenging PvE, it felt like a world and sucked you in. I think it had pretty much the same effect as UO and EQ in that regard. Felt like a great game.

I probably haven't gotten back to that level of enthusiasm about an MMO since. EQ 2 was disappointing at launch. It got better and held me for a while, but it never had the same effect. I wasn't a huge fan of WoW, though I did max out and can see the attraction. It's the only MMO my wife ever really enjoyed though. D&D Online had great dungeons, good NPC variety, but a lot of flaws that hurt it such as the lack of crafting or soloability. LoTRO had nice epic quests, but it always felt like a wow-clone that had prettier graphics but wasn't quite as good as WoW. Warhammer added some great innovations with public quests, open grouping, etc but all of the instancing in scenarios, and the fact that you were penalized for leaving the war camps really hurt it. TOR was a quality wow clone but by that point, I was getting tired of seeing those same old game mechanics over and over again. Guild Wars 2 was such a mixed bag to me. The events were a blast to begin with but got tiring after doing them repeatedly and as the player counts diminished. I never really liked its class or ability system. I still will fire it up now and again but never get far. Neverwinter was just too instanced.

Is it that I'm just tired of the genre? Perhaps but I don't think that's the case. I think it's more the way the genre has evolved. UO was very soloable, but it kept you involved because you were part of something that was going on. You felt a sense of community. PKs were rampant, you found other players to help you take them out. You didn't have to be involved in combat to participate in the world.

From Everquest until WoW, every title other than SWG (which was very UO-esque) hooked players with the social aspects and grouping. You may be able to solo but it was faster and safer to group. That enforced bonds with other players, and kept you sucked in. You logged in and were immediately sending tells to your guild or friends list looking for a group. That made those games more enjoyable. Not the forced grouping, which sucked for people with limited time, but just the fact tht you were tied in to a community. That's what all those early games had in common. You helped other players, because you would want them to help you if you were in the same position. Etc.

WoW was certainly a revolutionary title. Most successful MMO of all time for a reason. It expanded the genre to ridiculous numbers. And it did that by making a very solid MMO which ran good on old computers, allowed you to solo to max level if you choose, had an easy to use interface, and was quest driven rather than mob grind driven. That appealed to a lot more players who could easily pick it up and have fun. The problem is, as a result of WoW's success other titles just took those ideas and cloned them for the most part. But they often missed something along the way. After a while players could see the strings. But just as importantly, because they stopped relying on other players the community aspect took a nosedive.

The majority of WoW clone players spend the bulk of their time soloing. They never really feel attached to their community. And part of that is because they never even cross paths with players outside of their level range because each zone has a very small strict level range. So you never really felt attached to other players unless you were in a guild, and even then a lot of players spend most of their time soloing. I honestly felt like GW2 was on the right road to solving that problem. But what wound up happening is everyone just soloed in the events and rarely even bothered talking to one another.

So to me that's what has been lost. MMOs need to get back the social aspects. And they need to try to innovate. Try new things, even if you fall flat on your face. I'd take that over another game that just clones the last.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

1) RS2 - The start of my online adventures that led the charge, towards my online PC gaming addiction! - To be born at what I personally like to call the golden age of gaming, where things started to look very bright. ehem* I missed out on RSC, but I was very young, and the online world was so strange and new to me, at the time I was so excited to find such an amazing game that just blew my mind away. Connecting to the online gaming verse was the greatest thing ever, and also being able to chat with others made things so much fun. Thus I played many nights, and suffered at the hands of the online gaming world, in ways I will not begin to describe on here.

Runescape in my eyes was and still is the 'Training MMO' of the genre, and offers first steps into joining the MMOverse.  Alas its a shame in the way it has been painted. I can feel it as I type, that feeling of not wanting to share my first MMO because it is Runescape. If it were EverQuest or any other game 'At The Time', maybe id feel willing to be able to openly share, my first views on the MMO world more often. Sadly part of me can only feel shame in dedicating so much time into the game, and even down the line returning, and continuing to support the game. Iv come to the conclusion on something over the years, after searching throughout so many online browser MMO's.

It must be said.

RUNESCAPE IS THE GREATEST ONLINE [MMORPG] BROWSER GAME OF ALL TIME!

Nuff said. Riggghhhht? No.  Always more to be said! - No other Browser MMO has captured me, not maid mariens sherwood dungeon, or  Adventure Quest. as well as many other browser game [Year 2004 - 2009] The golden age that I thought I lived in was not real, and I became very disappointed in browser games, nothing held a candle light towards the Runescape Browser World. Thus it was time to move on, and find something fresh and new.  It will always be my first MMORPG, even if its not the greatest mmorpg browser game anymore. Although to be honest, and fair, it never really was the greatest mmo browser game. I myself who have dedicated over 300-days throughout 9-years have made it that way. and every time I decided to start the game up, and slowly log into the servers, and into the world. it really just brings back special memories that I will never forget. A memory that ill share with anyone who dares to read: *ehem* - That moment when an online stranger who you have never met, asks if you're a virgin. I had no clue what that meant, and was confused. - Brings me back.  - tear in the eye

2) WOW - The second MMORPG and by far the most epic one that iv ever played, the very cinematic sent shivers down my spine. It created some decent memories such as creating a character with an obscene name, and dancing naked ontop of a mailbox. I was only 11-14 years old by the time WOW released, and the gaming world really just opened up to me around then. It really felt like things were looking so bright, and so many MMO's were getting pumped out, and I was excited for the next exciting title. It was time to move onto a new world. Realizing that everything is so totally awesome, and things can only get more exciting - AND CAN ONLY GET BETTER and BETTER!......Riighhhhht?

3) WAR - The Biggest DISAPPOINTMENT EVER! YEAR 2008!

Nuff said. It's best to just pretend it never happened.

It's sad....the golden age ended just like that....and then came the copy and paste everything type MMO's.....I can only feel the deepest regret and sadness towards the genre. Everything has been just horrible since 2008, and I just have not felt the same feeling, that I did when I started up my first MMO or my second. It died with Warhammer Online!  That special feeling is long gone, and I believe everyone has grown up and realized. World of Warcraft made MMO's become mainstream, and all of the sudden everyone wanted to make the next cash cow, by simply copying and pasting the same ideas, instead of creating new ,and fresh ones to get us all excited.

Nobody is focusing on the most important element of all!

which is..  for you to decide! aka. The Real Developers of The Gamingverse, The Players Who Play.

• Univers0Univers0 Member UncommonPosts: 30

In the old days each game was quite distinctive, and the pros and cons varied. 

A word on Warhammer Online.  The key to enjoying that game was to stay away from the zerg, and to organize a small task force of about 2 groups roaming and cutting off reinforcements to sieged keeps, or use hit and run tactics against pick-up warbands.  Also, if you played on a realm that was organized and working in unison during zone pushes then it was a great experience.   The pve was broken, and probably should not have been implemented altogether, all it does is disperse players and dilutes design team resources. If warhammer is restarted, as an experiment they could try to remodel it as rvr only game since that was the only good thing about it.