Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Chatting with Naoki Yoshida at PAX Prime ‘13

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We caught up with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn game director Naoki Yoshida to discuss all things ARR at this year's PAX Prime.

Late last week, Square Enix announced their plans to address the various service issues plaguing the game, but what about compensating players for the significant frustrations they have endured and continue to endure? On that front, Mr. Yoshida informed us that the team has plans to extend the free period for players in order to give them back the time they have lost.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Chatting with Naoki Yoshida at PAX Prime ‘13.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Its awesome that they were able to rebuild an MMO in a year but its a bit disappointing that some features that were talked about numerous times before are several still updates away.

Its even more disappointing that they are willing to devote some time and effort to fixing Quality of Life issues. Yeah, server issues come first but I doubt that the programmers that would add quest tracking back into the game(for some stupid reason it was removed in phase 4 beta) would be the same people upgrading server queue system.

Also, disappointed to hear that they are unwilling to look at Fates. The experience gains from a full party chaining Fates is practically an exploit but the attitude suggests they are going to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Im really liking FF14 despite the issues but there are definite problems that need fixed and not everyone is going to patient and wait until some future update.

We dont want promises or apologies, we want action.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Its awesome that they were able to rebuild an MMO in a year but its a bit disappointing that some features that were talked about numerous times before are several still updates away.

Its even more disappointing that they are willing to devote some time and effort to fixing Quality of Life issues. Yeah, server issues come first but I doubt that the programmers that would add quest tracking back into the game(for some stupid reason it was removed in phase 4 beta) would be the same people upgrading server queue system.

Also, disappointed to hear that they are unwilling to look at Fates. The experience gains from a full party chaining Fates is practically an exploit but the attitude suggests they are going to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Im really liking FF14 despite the issues but there are definite problems that need fixed and not everyone is going to patient and wait until some future update.

We dont want promises or apologies, we want action.

What do you mean by adding back quest trackers?  All my quests are tracked and listed on the right side of my screen, there are quest pointers on the map to help guide you to an NPC's?  What are you referring to,  flashing arrows on the ground that you can follow?  Or a button you can click to auto run you to your objective?

Can you please explain?

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

The option to control which quests are track ;).  There was an option in beta where you could hide them.

But, love what their doing and I'm glad to see them being very open but saying it's probably going to be awhile :P.

Yoshi-P for MMO President.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    I'm glad their not trying to make knee jerk reactions for the zergers. As if they don't always find something to exploit...
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

"the vast majority of players logging in are actually playing, they’re just putting in some crazy hours."

Guilty.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Not sure I like the part about combining current classes for a new job. A job based on for example marauder wont be that much different to warrior because most of the warrior abilities are still marauder abilities. They would have to add a whole chunk of new job specific abilities or new class abilities to have a distinct playstyle on a new job.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Good interview :). And yeah, definitely putting in crazy hours, hahaha. 
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Dancer and samurai. Please?
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Oh man I hope they take their time on Golden Saucer. I'm still working on my tradeskills, let alone when housing lands and I setup my vendors plus my chocobo stable. Too much good stuff in this game haha I love it!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Joekra
    Not sure I like the part about combining current classes for a new job. A job based on for example marauder wont be that much different to warrior because most of the warrior abilities are still marauder abilities. They would have to add a whole chunk of new job specific abilities or new class abilities to have a distinct playstyle on a new job.
    Scholar and Summoner are both based on the same class. Their differences are mainly because of the new pets they get but at their base they are both Arcanists.

A DPS Job based on Marauder would likely have a stance to reduce enmity(to counteract the attack skills that have increased emnity) and then 4 new attacks skills.

Adding entirely new weapons for a Job is not entirely feasible because all melee attacks have original animation. So, doing a complete animation set for one Job would be very costly and time consuming.

But combining classes for a new Job is how FF14 works, its how it works right now. Its the core of the Job system. So, adding new Jobs using the same system only makes sense.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

They are still putting the love into the game and that's saying something. How many mainstream MMO's do you know getting this much updating?

But my guess is it may still need some more, I am thinking of trying it out next year. And with the way graphical improvements in MMOs have almost screeched to a halt, I don't think it will look any older.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Joekra

Scholar and Summoner are both based on the same class. Their differences are mainly because of the new pets they get but at their base they are both Arcanists.

A DPS Job based on Marauder would likely have a stance to reduce enmity(to counteract the attack skills that have increased emnity) and then 4 new attacks skills.

Adding entirely new weapons for a Job is not entirely feasible because all melee attacks have original animation. So, doing a complete animation set for one Job would be very costly and time consuming.

But combining classes for a new Job is how FF14 works, its how it works right now. Its the core of the Job system. So, adding new Jobs using the same system only makes sense.

Yes I know all of that, but it's still something to think about. Another point would be having 8 base classes and just adding jobs will cause you to be level 50 on every new job that might release instantly after it's patched in, you will just do few quests for abilities but you are max level right off the bat, which takes the feel I get in other games when they release new classes.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

ill say it again, its their redemption release, and its 2013!!!!! not 2001.

furthemore they should of known better withe their in involvemnet with their community for the past year.

on a side not- i own FF14 ce original when it was 80.00 which i never played much, i cant even upgrade it now on their site-i beleive they put a halt to that as well.

the login website is a joke- they need a western company to rebuild that site!!!to a better business model!

disgraceful, i wont be buying anything from squarenix.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by orbitxo

ill say it again, its their redemption release, and its 2013!!!!! not 2001.

furthemore they should of known better withe their in involvemnet with their community for the past year.

on a side not- i own FF14 ce original when it was 80.00 which i never played much, i cant even upgrade it now on their site-i beleive they put a halt to that as well.

the login website is a joke- they need a western company to rebuild that site!!!to a better business model!

disgraceful, i wont be buying anything from squarenix.

You are missing out!  Laterz ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    mogstation works just fine..
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It's good to finally hear people will be compensated for time lost.Though I think Those who have been patient should be rewarded with more than just that  personally.

It also still does not excuse the poor launch no matter what fans of the game think but it is at least a step forward to putting that behind.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

No one is having fun camping FATEs. People are only doing it to get to max quickly...these same people will run any exploit no matter how unfun it is to simply get that edge over anyone else who is enjoying the game the way the designers wanted the game to be enjoyed.

Fix this FFXIV. No one loves the current FATEs system.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Your games servers are a disgrace, you and your staff at Enix should be taking out and flogged in public!

This has been a worse launch than SWTOR and that's saying something!!!

Even if you do get on, FFXIV is full of holes... A good example would be crafting, whiles it's fun it is handicapped by things like only being able to mine/forage in set areas, try going to another city to mine and you'll find it's areas are empty, then add to that the fact that you need to travel to the different cities to craft as the quest givers / crafting master is only found in 1 (yes, one!) place.

Oh, and as I've hinted on quests, that's another fun issue. There isn't enough, try to level another path/class... lol good luck!

The build up some people are giving this game is a joke, they clearly are very dumb, blind or just zombie fanbois! This is a good advert why MMO's should be on PC, and PC only!

/rantover

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Raxeon
    mogstation works just fine..

There are a few key things that are named differently across their various websites that makes things confusing.

For example, when the early start was over, you were told at login that you needed to enter your registration code:

1. Find your email receipt
    2. Copy/paste receipt number into findmyorder.com
    3. Look for registration code. Its not called that. Its called serial number.
    4. Log into mog station.
    5. Look for a place to enter registration code. Its not called that. ok, Look for a place to enter the serial number. Its not called that either. Oh here it is! An icon that when you mouseover it says "add platform".

So when you have three different terminologies happening which are prohibiting you from being able to play the game, it can get frustrating.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    true but i seem to not ever have them issues XD
  • warheavenwarheaven Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto

I want this too. Mostly the Samurai. I don't get why they wouldn't have one at release D:< lol 

• warheavenwarheaven Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto

I want this too. Mostly the Samurai. I don't get why they wouldn't have one at release D:< lol 

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So they are "thinking" and "not closed to the idea" of adding a queue system and afk kicker, but right now just want to add more servers?  Are you SERIOUS!!!?????  What kind of lala land are these devs living in????  I haven't played an mmo in 10 years that didn't have a queue system on login - and Yoshida's response that there really aren't that many afk gamers, there are just so many playing long hours - good job, your denial just leveled up 10 levels in 1 sentence.  Take one walk through town at the endless sea of players standing still doing nothing for hours on end to know what a joke that statement is.

And the idea that they just weren't prepared and had no idea is complete and utter bs - this game was not a f2p download, you HAD to purchase or pre-order the game all of which are tracked.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Just because you walk through town and see someone standing there dosnt mean there not playing people have to shit and piss, eat and maybe have a smoke. Just like ffxi there is no idle kick i couldnt care about idle kick. If you did your reading you would know they put restrictions on logins that why you cant get into the server. Its not that the server is full is that the duty finder server wich runs all the instances in the game party dungeon or solo instance is over loaded. They have said there working on it and will be implemented this week. Take a chill pill people things will be fixed shortly 
  • PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Margulis

So they are "thinking" and "not closed to the idea" of adding a queue system and afk kicker, but right now just want to add more servers?  Are you SERIOUS!!!?????  What kind of lala land are these devs living in????  I haven't played an mmo in 10 years that didn't have a queue system on login - and Yoshida's response that there really aren't that many afk gamers, there are just so many playing long hours - good job, your denial just leveled up 10 levels in 1 sentence.  Take one walk through town at the endless sea of players standing still doing nothing for hours on end to know what a joke that statement is.

And the idea that they just weren't prepared and had no idea is complete and utter bs - this game was not a f2p download, you HAD to purchase or pre-order the game all of which are tracked.

1. Queue system should have been in at launch.  Hell, it should have been in during closed beta.  The fact that it's not in, and that they're only considering it, makes me wonder what planet these devs are living on.

2. AFK time-out/kicker.  See #1 above.  Mr. Yoshida obviously hasn't been able to log in to his own game.  If he had, he would have seen that there are a HUGE number of AFK players in many of the smaller, out-lying towns, not to mention the ones that just AFK in the main cities. 

3. As far as them not being aware of just how popular the game was going to be, I'm going to cut him some slack.  Personally, I never played FFXI (had no interest), and also didn't buy into the mess that was FFXIV 1.0 (thankfully).  I only decided to pick up FFXIV:ARR on a whim, because of the (promised) EA.  What can I say?  I was bored.

That being said, I don't believe that Mr. Yoshida is being entirely honest with his customers, or the gaming public at large.  They are in SERIOUS damage control mode right now.  He has no choice but to try and minimize their incompetence and ill-preparedness.  Decisions were made that can't be un-made.  All they can do is try and fix things before they get completely out of control.

God help them, though, if they haven't ironed everything out by the end of this week.