Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New parkour video

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         So now everyone is a superhero without capes, or does that come later?  WoW.. I guess this means that monks with safe fall is out of the question?  Since it appears that fall damage is non existent.. The more SOE pumps out information about EQN, the more they split the player base..  This game is becoming very polarizing and I wonder if SOE has taken note of it.. 
  • UnfriendlyUnfriendly Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Stiler
    The Gliding part threw me off, cause there's nothing to explain it, magic? glider?

Here you go :)

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         So now everyone is a superhero without capes, or does that come later?  WoW.. I guess this means that monks with safe fall is out of the question?  Since it appears that fall damage is non existent.. The more SOE pumps out information about EQN, the more they split the player base..  This game is becoming very polarizing and I wonder if SOE has taken note of it.. 

Similar thing came to my mind.. If every class/race could do this then what are they going to do to make monks special? What we saw in this video I could really sort of justify only for a top skilled monk in a fastasy world.

Its possible tho, as someone here mentioned, its unlocked for everyone only in Landmark to move fast around the world. In EQN it should be limited dependand on armor/class/something and it probably will be, I dont think they are that stupid to make ogres in plate armos able to do backflips.

I expect more info about this topic soon™.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    So now i'm a little confused.  Are we going to be running around like in the video, doing crazy flips and matrix style moves while also doing our combat, kind of like Age of Wushu?  Or is this parkour stuff its own separate mode?

No, the way I understood it, we CAN move like this. I mean, if you glide down and move over small ledges, your character will animate like this, but high jumping and float you CAN do but have to do it actively.

I REALLY like this aspect. MMO chars were waaaay too stiff all these years. It is cool to see MMOs finally get characters who are capable of full 3-dimensional movement. :)

I dont understand why people are so acidic about this. Dont wanna jump, well then DONT. duh...

A hero is supposed to be a person on top form. I mean, you are going out killing dangerous stuff, so we can assume such characters are athletic and fit. It just adds some cool realism. Like swimming. The more realistic characters and worlds are, the better. (And before you tell me, REAL people cant jump like this, trust me, youtube it, some can. Plus, it is a MAGICAL world. So go figure.) it is just an EXAMPLE what you can do in the world. It is not that the game is a parcour game! Man, I swear sometimes I think some people just WANT to hate everything that is new! I know... unthinkable...

Lol - okay so, which question of mine did you respond 'No' to?  Are we able to move like this while in-combat, or is this crazy matrix style movement only occurring in its own separate 'Non-combat' mode?  

Either way, i'm fine with it.  Looks fun. The old farts will be grumpy and not like changes - but changes keep things interesting and fresh.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I like the fact the characters are lively and have so many animations and aren't as stiff as a Max Payne NPC (original game.) I don't like how over the top this bit is...emotes are amazing though from what I saw!

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Utinni

The fact that all they are showing us is videos of jumping and not-in-game concept art is starting to be worrying... Is it just me or do I remember hearing playable EQN would be playable at SOELive 2013? 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

Did they just start this game or something? Stop all the talk and show some substance before even more people lose interest in this game.

???

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

I am the Rogue.  I attack from behind.   My traveling group and I come upon a group of Orcs that need to be dispatched; in a narrow valley between two cliffs.  I need to get behind them in order to perform my magical backstab ability.  There is no way to move through them without making them aware of my movements.  I spy a few rocks jutting out ever so slightly from the cliff walls on my left and right.

How should I go about getting to the other side?

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Kyllien

I am the Rogue.  I attack from behind.   My traveling group and I come upon a group of Orcs that need to be dispatched; in a narrow valley between two cliffs.  I need to get behind them in order to perform my magical backstab ability.  There is no way to move through them without making them aware of my movements.  I spy a few rocks jutting out ever so slightly from the cliff walls on my left and right.

How should I go about getting to the other side?

Use the force, Luke.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Verterdegete
    Originally posted by Acornia

That jumping/flying video looks more like a jedi move in a Star Wars game than something that would be done in a EQ world.

If a normal person was to do those moves in the real world, they would more than likely end up dead, not landing unharmed on their feet.

And 20 yr old girls in full plate armor, wielding a two hander and beating up bulked up guys twice their size is normal and realistic? You see, in normal world, even women with stronger constitution cant move in full plate armor. Fuck, most men cant do that. Plate armor was created for mounted combat.

Gimme a break. Real world reasoning like that has no place in video games. Especially in fantasy genre.

Not that it has much to do with the thread, but your thinking on Plate armor is a little behind the times. You need to do some research and you will discover that dark age knights were not lumbering targets in that armor.  They were able to jump and perform rolls to avoid attacks.  The armor was fitted for them and it was fairly flexible.  The old thinking that a knight that fell off his horse was dead because he couldn't get up is bull.  Oh and it wasn't necessarily for mounted combat.  It was the armor of the aristocracy; they could afford it and since they were the landowners/royals, they were more protected in combat so could survive.  Stop watching movies and reading fiction.  You would probably be surprised that MMO style sword combat isn't how a sword was wielded either. 

On subject.  Is this movement a little over the top?  Sure, but who says we'll be doing this all the time?  You people freak out about everything.  Ever consider that this video was designed to showcase as many of the possible moves in as short a timespan as possible?  Obviously not since most of you are crying...

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by noncley

- Don't have the same access to subscription funds as their older siblings

- Don' have the same attention span or intelligence required to allow them to engage with an MMO over a long period of time

Yea cause twenty year olds and teens are known for not having disposable income or disposable time...

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by noncley

- Don't have the same access to subscription funds as their older siblings

- Don' have the same attention span or intelligence required to allow them to engage with an MMO over a long period of time

Yea cause twenty year olds and teens are known for not having disposable income or disposable time...

And dont forget. its free to play. no subscription needed

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

That video doesn't say anything.  It's still unrealistic.  That isn't the average person, and I think a majority of the people are totally failing to see why, if this is in the actual release of the game people like this type of thing.  Some do, sure, but there's probably just as many people who do not.  Which is why I think it should be something that's brought up on the Round Table discussion so they can gather feedback and see what people have to say on this subject.

Read through the comments.  It's a sense of whimsy and disbelief that wasn't there before in the EQ world.  This kind of thing is just outright silly, especially moving like that through all terrain.  Sliding down the sides of cliffs, fine.  Leaping over chest high walls, cool.  Double jumping onto cliffs, gliding through valleys, flying around like a super hero...  It's just goofy as all sin.

Once again I'll direct you to Crazy_Sticks post.

I like to complain about games.
  • kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    So in summary, please give your fans what they love...nothing new, and stick up the butt movement.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

It should be VERY clear now that EQN is NOT marketed to what the demographics (obtained through research) has determined to be the average MMORPG player.

I wish them lots of luck.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Alot of peopel are dropping this mmo with each new tidbit of info comming out.
    Me included....
    What we have seen is Tony the Tiger and Belle from beauty and the beast and a mix of Tomb Raider sliding and jumping with a frostbite detructible enviroment.

What kind of people are they targeting with all this stuff ?
    Console gamers ? young action rpg gamers who like disney cartoons ?

They better show us something worth for the more serious and mature mmo player or this gets into a more negative spiral were its already sucked in.

So from what i have seen so far iam stepping away from this tittle untill they made their targeting audiance clear.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    Originally posted by kujii
    So in summary, please give your fans what they love...nothing new, and stick up the butt movement.

They're doing plenty new.  You're acting like Parkour is some major feature.  If you're not going to actually comment or attempt to contribute the conversation in some meaningful way I don't see why you'd post to begin with.  The reason they have the round table is so that players can provide official feedback and vote on things that may or may not make it into the game.  I think it's a great way to get input from your audience.  The people that pay the bills.  It's our game just as much as it is their game.  We're the one's expected to pay for the game and to play it for years to come...  So yeah, I'd think that they'd like to get feedback and information from as many sources as possible.  Those who are for it and against it and the reasons why.

I think it's silly to see double jumping and gliding around in the sky in a EQ game.  This seems like it'd be more at some in World of Warcraft or a super hero game.  I don't mind some of the Parkour moves like I stated before but the crazy amount of movement that was shown in that video is just totally over the top.  Can you imagine Dwarves and Ogres doing that kind of stuff?  Just plain ol' silly.  Now if that particular type of movement is totally linked to a rogue class, that's fine with me.  I just don't want to be running around as a big ass ogre warrior doing triple flips and flying around like i'm Neo.

I like to complain about games.
  • EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

if you dont like it, dont play it. lots and lots of other people may like it.

Stick to your old and used ways.

You know your old when you say "everything used to be better in the good old days"

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Mothanos

What kind of people are they targeting with all this stuff ?
    Console gamers ? young action rpg gamers who like disney cartoons ?

From what we have seen and heard about the game the target audience is moba-players that want more than just a few maps, minecraft players that want better graphics, probably the housing-fans, action-adventure/rpg players(especially thoose that like the over the top graphic style a lot console titles have) and a few from shooters like borderlands that like some more fantasy.  I'm wodering if they believe that the name Everquest and the existence of Norrath is enough to draw the old EQ/EQ2 players to EQN because it realy sounds like that while the actualy features drive them away.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I hope they tone it down for EQN. Imagine how ridiculous it will look when 50 players in an event are running around like that.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Four0Six

It should be VERY clear now that EQN is NOT marketed to what the demographics (obtained through research) has determined to be the average MMORPG player.

I wish them lots of luck.

I'm willing to give them a chance until I've played the game myself and found it good or bad. Even if their concept is different from your usual EQ/WoW clone, it can still end being a fun MMO game to play.

I will give them a chance too. Same as I give all other a chance. I read the devs site, I watch vids, forums blah blah. If there is a trial I give it a shot, EQN is F2P so might as well.

Too bad the info coming out has been spotty and "unconfirmable". Sorry I don't take a dev's tweet as "set in stone". Want me to believe that your NPC AI trumps the trinity? Show me. Plan and simple. GW2's AI sure doesn't. (Just did my first AC run and it was silly. No organization. No form, just run run dodge dodge damage damage. Yes we made it through.)

I

• arcatomarcatom Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by ghorgos

From what we have seen and heard about the game the target audience is moba-players that want more than just a few maps, minecraft players that want better graphics, probably the housing-fans, action-adventure/rpg players(especially thoose that like the over the top graphic style a lot console titles have) and a few from shooters like borderlands that like some more fantasy.  I'm wodering if they believe that the name Everquest and the existence of Norrath is enough to draw the old EQ/EQ2 players to EQN because it realy sounds like that while the actualy features drive them away.

They have specifically stated they don't really want to pull people away from those games. They going for something completely different. The thing to remember is EQ and EQ2 will always be there. If players want that style then they can go play those games.

It will be nice to play something that's different. I really hope EQN is a success because it will finally give MMO devs the push they need to break the mold. Dave Georgeson put it best when he said 'Enough is enough. It's time to get some new ideas into this genre'.  

This genre needs a drastic change. Hats off to SOE for having the balls to step up and try. As far as the parkour stuff goes I'm going to assume these moves are geared towards the adventure class. It has an adventure type feel to it. I think it looks fun.

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Latronus

Not that it has much to do with the thread, but your thinking on Plate armor is a little behind the times. You need to do some research and you will discover that dark age knights were not lumbering targets in that armor.  They were able to jump and perform rolls to avoid attacks.  The armor was fitted for them and it was fairly flexible.  The old thinking that a knight that fell off his horse was dead because he couldn't get up is bull.  Oh and it wasn't necessarily for mounted combat.  It was the armor of the aristocracy; they could afford it and since they were the landowners/royals, they were more protected in combat so could survive.  Stop watching movies and reading fiction.  You would probably be surprised that MMO style sword combat isn't how a sword was wielded either. 

Please stop with this patronising bullshit. Go to your local Medieval combat club. Ask them for a chainmail shirt, chestplate, and a mace (just that, no helmet, shield, legplates, riding boots etc.). Put that on, and do a roll. Then, when you realise how idiotic your post is, come here and continue with the discussion.

Jesus Christ, my father got spine issues for life because he had to wear a heavy  body armor (around 15 kg) during one week of intensive action. He's still pissed on his superiors about that, because the rulebook says that  you're not supposed to wear a 15 kg body armor if radius of  foot movement is more than 500 meters.

And then some forum guy comes in and tells me that i should ease my imagination because 3-4 hour combat under 40 kg of equipment isn't restrictive and sluggish as shown in movies and comic books (WTF !!?). No, actually it's fast, with jump rolls and heavy foot charges - completely unlike movies, comics and games . :rolleyes:

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by arcatom
    Originally posted by ghorgos

They have specifically stated they don't really want to pull people away from those games. They going for something completely different. The thing to remember is EQ and EQ2 will always be there. If players want that style then they can go play those games.

It will be nice to play something that's different. I really hope EQN is a success because it will finally give MMO devs the push they need to break the mold. Dave Georgeson put it best when he said 'Enough is enough. It's time to get some new ideas into this genre'.  

This genre needs a drastic change. Hats off to SOE for having the balls to step up and try. As far as the parkour stuff goes I'm going to assume these moves are geared towards the adventure class. It has an adventure type feel to it. I think it looks fun.

But thats not realy true. Both EQ and EQ2 have changed a lot and are no longer the same games for a lot of the fans. In addition they are old(graphics, ui, controls and content). 

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I hope there's controller support for this crazy stuff...

Looking good.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    This fantasy MMORPG is looking a little too Disney teen super hero all of a sudden. WTF!?

All of a sudden?