Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SWTOR really f2p?

I haven't kept up with all the changes.  Do I still need to buy a client?  Can I still choose a subscription instead of buying passes? Link to a FAQ will be appreciated.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Comments

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

yup its completely free you don't need to buy it.  Well except for the expansion but that gives you 50-55.  If you want to do the stories then yeah its completley free.

I suggest buying XP boost potions on the Auction house they go for cheep and they help for levleing.

• ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34
    They should give the expansion for free to the people who originally bought the game before it went f2p.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

I haven't kept up with all the changes.  Do I still need to buy a client? No.  Can I still choose a subscription instead of buying passes? Link to a FAQ will be appreciated.

The game is more like a trial . It is very restrictive as a F2P. To get the maximum enjoyment it's best to sub. Which is basically what EA wants. If you're just interested in the story then F2P is tolerable.

• gxizhegxizhe Member UncommonPosts: 23
    It's OK before level 10 because after level 10 you will get less EXP and is so much harder to level up
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by gxizhe
    It's OK before level 10 because after level 10 you will get less EXP and is so much harder to level up

It is free up to level 50, or "free" as a paying subscriber up to 55 via the RotHC DLC.

Is it totally free? some stuff is, some stuff isn't.

It's free so much as a soda fountain drink is free .. the difference being those who pay get carbonation, those who don't pay get a flat soda.

You can still get the same amount of calories either way .. although one method is more enjoyable.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tood2345tood2345 Member Posts: 2
     You can be free to play up to lvl 50 but if you are a sucriber you get more better game features. To get to lvl 55 it gonna cost you real world money.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

I haven't kept up with all the changes.  Do I still need to buy a client?  Can I still choose a subscription instead of buying passes? Link to a FAQ will be appreciated.

You don't need to buy the client, and subscription is still there if you choose to. Faq: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

As others wrote, f2p is a very wide term. TOR's f2p model is pretty restrictive - or it can be, based on your goals and playstyle.

If you plan to play it as a singleplayer game for the class stories, you can do that mostly fine for free, with lots of grind inbetween the missions (due to the xp restriction) and with forced inventory management because of the limited inv. space.

If you want to craft / trade, then you need preferred at least, but sub is even better.

If you plan to play it as an mmo, you'll feel yourself gimped as a free player, subscribing is very much needed in that case.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    no
  • tood2345tood2345 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the link it is pretty good and helpful.