Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Review in Progress 1

Comments

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

i've yet to see the error "can not find JP world list"

Now during peak times they lose the NA/EU world list every 10 minutes (especially during error 1017).

The fixes they're "supposedly" putting in by next week... not sure why they weren't there before, and i'd quite happily put  a bet forward they won't work. The next excuse should at least be good.

but by then there may not be enough people to fit in the worlds anymore... 

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Dakirn

The old rating deserves to stay until the review is done because of the giant turd it was the first time around.  I think the original 5.1 score was pretty generous considering.. :P

haha true enough, i think i got 15 min into the gameplay and never returned (Until arr) thankfully there art assets were pretty well done, i think most of them are the same or similar.

Anyway i see the 5.1 is from the OG ff 14-ty

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

This game is so good all these techinal issues which will be solved by 9/2/2013-9/4/2013 are not even going to phase it..  I think your review shows a big sign of a fustration and doesnt state in the first part of the review  paragraph the overview of the problem and how it will be fixed as early as  7 days,  it did not mention the free game time people will recieve, and it did not mention how the codes were fixed after only two days and before the early access even started.  

I think when you write a review you should put a summary of all the facts in the top paragraph in overview, then elaborate with dates and time periods during the body in order to garnish a player who reads the review, the chance to agree or disagree unbiasedly with how well it was handled or not.   Hope to see your next review....   thanks.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    One more comment,  I think you have to read the response time of SE, it was within 24 of every error,  I think most people did not even go to the website to read their news announcments to know what thier responses were.   SE responded as fast as any reasonable company would to its problems, I think more work has to be done as far as looking things up and research before writing reviews like this.   Its important to collect facts and data from the SE website itself at the very least.  Please before you write the full review of this game, that you take the time to actually visit SE websites and see all the dates and match them all up with a timeline of everything that happend.  Thanks.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Dagon-Kahn
    I am appalled at this article. All you did was bitch and QQ.

It is very bad journalism in my view, Robert even writes in it :

"If you are currently playing the game, you unfortunately are all too familiar with errors 90000, 3102, 1017, and the missing queue."

Robert, I have been playing the game for days on NA server and haven't had this problem at all so far. Sure there may be some technical issues at launch with a game (there were with WoW for example), but to get it into your head that you are speaking for the silent majority playing the game and having fun right now in FF is an immature viewpoint. Rage quit on the PC login screen is not the way to review games.

Bad journalism would be to ignore these issues that are plaguing many players experience. Great for you that you've been able to avoid them, many are not as lucky.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Worst launch ever, as far as I'm concerned.

It's been a week and they have taken zero action.  Things have just got worse and worse as more people get access to the game and moreso because more and more people are able to be afk for hours and hours and prevent other people from playing.  I don't really blame the AFKers since I'm sick of attempting to login, but they're not helping the problems.

SQEN is inept in a way that makes Funcom look good.

What's even more annoying is the garbage they are posting on their twitter.  They're all happy go lucky posting about utter nonsense while their game is in a horrid state.  It's unbelievable.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

It's a great solid MMO, if you're lucky enough to log in and pray the Gods your quest NPC doesn't glitch and force you to log out and not being able to log back in for a few hours.  That's a real deal breaker that needs to be addressed ASAP, the other little bugs are nothing compared to this dreadful "SERVER FULL" of doom.

That's the only thing pissing me off at the moment. Besides that, played 10 hours straight without any issues.  And if you do log in and LOVE the game, then don't log out, stay AFK, otherwise depending on your time zone if you try and log back in, good luck!   

• NixeskaNixeska Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Dagon-Kahn
    I am appalled at this article. All you did was bitch and QQ.

It is very bad journalism in my view, Robert even writes in it :

"If you are currently playing the game, you unfortunately are all too familiar with errors 90000, 3102, 1017, and the missing queue."

Robert, I have been playing the game for days on NA server and haven't had this problem at all so far. Sure there may be some technical issues at launch with a game (there were with WoW for example), but to get it into your head that you are speaking for the silent majority playing the game and having fun right now in FF is an immature viewpoint. Rage quit on the PC login screen is not the way to review games.

Bad journalism would be to ignore these issues that are plaguing many players experience. Great for you that you've been able to avoid them, many are not as lucky.

Maybe, but all the errors I had were taken care of by SE before Early Launch even began. They were having problems, admitted them, and worked to fix them in a small window of time. That's much more than I can say about a lot of other MMO hosts.

Also I haven't d/ced once since I started playing. Super unstable servers, huh?

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I can play at daytime, so I had absolutely no problems with logging in (EU). And since you can let your char be idle, I could stay online the whole day. Enjoying the game very much, love the class/job/craft system wherein you no longer need to create alts. the world is beautiful, armour could have been better, but in all a satisfying experience. Only today I had some problems with being DC'ed and not being able to login. Well, not the end of the world, was about time to get away from my PC anyway. Hoping SE will fix the problems in the coming weeks.
  • OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

Nice rant mate... I reached 50 3 days ago and my 2nd class is around 35s having a blast so far ! Hard mode content is very challenging though :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

My feeling is the game is still solid but was once again rushed.They had a set timeline of beta weeks and a direct launch day all sorted out months ago.

They need more content other than just leveling ideas.I know it seems like a lame complaint ,considering MOST other games ONLY have you follow a set of linear quests around but from Square Enix i expect better than the rest.

They should have never got greedy and try to cater to soloing and the WOW type crowd.They should have stuck to all out grouping,that is how you build friends and community,not blindly jumping into Fates or solo Leves or solo questing.

Perhaps they did know what they were doing and it is the players who can't think outside the WOW box.

I noticed they really only made the quests as a sort of teaching tool for a noob to familiarize themselves with the game.However all the brainwashed gamer's kept looking for more quests,it seems a lot are used to that hand holding design since Wow and EQ2 and every other game has made that their ONLY content.So players rush to end level then stand around  "what do i do"?.

I guess it doesn't help that Yoshi has played all these other games that copy each other and wants to incorporate that same game design into FFXIV.Square Enix became the biggest brand in gaming for a reason,because they were different.They introduced limit breaks and Tactical points and Sub classes.

Even in their console game FFX,it was not about following quests,it was more fun to follow the story and fun around with the spheres to build your character in many different ways.

I really fear it is the gamer's who will cry out for another Wow game,speed leveling mechanics and grinding dungeons/instances.I wish people would think outside the box,then the developer will cater to a more unique brand of fun gaming.There is some good news on the horizon,Square still has lots of content ideas yet to come,just too bad the game was rushed out again too early.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NefarioNefario Member Posts: 6

The server issues are tough, but they will be ancient history before long. Bad as it is, it is good news that the actual GAME behind the log-in troubles is so good.

ARR doesn't really do anything completely new, but it takes the best of what other games in the genre offer and puts it together in a very polished package. It's an excellent foundation to build on with future patches. In particular, the addition of housing in 2.1 along with other sub-sections of this content such as gardening and monster/chocobo breeding will add layers.

IMO, this game has many quality aspects, but the crafting system in particular is overall better than in any other current MMO. It is brilliant.

Without breaking new ground (as of today), but rather going with familiar elements, it would be tough to grade this game over 90% although it could certainly reach that potential in the future. If a strictly competent game is worth 70%, this game is certainly well beyond that point at this time. It is polished. It has a few quirks that could stand to be ironed out over future patches, but nothing so much in the core of the system that it can't be addressed. A meta score in the high 80's seems perfectly reasonable, and community voting around the web seems to agree so far.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97

been a blast playing ffxiv aar, raiding boss 1017 for days and today SE brought in new world boss 2002 "unable to connect to game lobby"

This is so great, been having fun since 24 Aug.....

btw, request for refund is through email writing to them?

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Reizla

... You sell 6M copies of your game in pre-order you have 3M FFXIV 1.0 users (who you give 15 days free as well) and your servers can hold a mere 200K players..? That's asking for problems at launch...

Usually I dislike the "screenshot or it didn't happen" crew, but that is an amazing number. (And it would explain a lot).

I have not been able to find/google a source - Would you mind posting a link?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Thing is, even tho i could log on quite some this week (now it's total 1017 weekend i guess) i dbout i'll ever play more than 1 month this game, as :

- This game is super generic, it's like MMORPG 101, nothing different than everything done before, no special content, it'll all be about grinding and repeating the same dungeons over and over and over and over again to get gear. But gear to what purpose ?

- Gameplay is old school, it's the same stuff than FFXI and other old games, and really JRPG style, very very few dynamic, slow action..

- Quests are JRPG style too, gotta do some very VERY retarded stuff in them...

- Story is boring as hell and u get spammed with wall of texts and some unskippable cutscenes,

- PVP is a late thought in the game, it hasn't ben built for it, so i doubt it'll be good at all (a paladin in PVP ? Yeah, well, no.)

- Class skills are quite broken atm, not many of them at all, but aggro is all messed up. I mean, when a tank's best way to get aggro is to self heal, there's something wrong. Healing brings 5000% more aggro than actual taunts.

So, well, despite the enormous and incredible hardware issues that should NEVER be part of a 2013 launch, the game behind, while much better than 1.0 is nothing special at all. Unless u're really into JRPG.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• Aplus007Aplus007 Member Posts: 13
    I cant even defend FF this time. This is absolute truth. I am still waiting on FF7 remake. Fuck the online BS
  • shandriveshandrive Member UncommonPosts: 2
    5.1? you shithead make no sense
    don;t you know why you got this errors?
    because the game is so good, people dont want to log off

• lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 55

The Game itself is great so far .... But the SE server are suck hard. 1 week and everyday a new problem with servers :(

hope they fix soon xD

cya!

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195
    5.1? Wow staying far away from this game for sure. I thought this was supposed to be such amazing remake but apparently SquareEnix failed again. 
  • VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Sephastus

MMORPG Rating 5.1, while player rating 9.0 - Yet, it is "Vastly superior" to version 1.0?

Did they advertise like SWTOR or AOC?

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Worst launch ever.

Worst all around MMORPG company ever.

Too much apologizing, not enough action.

It'll be nearly 2 weeks after EA started by the time they take any serious action (and clean up the inevitable messes they cause doing it), and considering SQEN has proven to be utterly inept and incompetent, I would expect the action on WEDS to be a complete disaster.  If it takes them 3 hours to make small tweaks, how long will they need to do a major upgrade?  A day?

The lack of communication and indifference towards NA/EU players is pretty much despicable considering MMORPGs are international and 24/7.

I don't want free items and crap like that (it's already annoying to see the P2W crap CE and similar pay extra setups get), but 7 days of extra time is kind of a joke when all said and done, most people are losing more than 7 days and/or have been dealing more than 7 days of total frustration trying to login or stay logged in. 

Blah blah fanboy blah launches are always bad blah blah.  Maybe for you.  For me they're usually considerably smother even with the roughest of games, and considering the genre has been around, companies should know better by now, and SQEN has a long running MMORPG and should know better.

If a sleazeball company like PWI can put out F2P Neverwinter (crapy game but it got hammered by players early for sure) and be flooded with players and have no noticeable issues, then I would certainly expect a game with a box price and incoming sub to have considerably better service, not a total clustereffword.

SQEN's release is inexcusable and they deserve to be bludgeoned mercilessly for it by players and the gaming press.

Really, really sick of Yoshi, his excuses, and his not really caring about the game he created or its players (not just with tech issues but his casual attitude towards crappy player behaviors is weak too - it's like a douche bag got to design a game and enjoys watching players be douche bags).

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    11:29 pm on sunday night 9/1/13 and i'm here on MMORPG.com instead of actually playing FFXIV:ARR....I was in the last 3 betas and the early access....this stuff has gone on way to long.  I love the game, don't get me wrong at all.  Its hugely improved over the orignial train wreck but the login management systems and the abilities of the developer to deal with and communicate to the player base is seriously seriously lacking.  I purchased the game and I sware to GOD that they aren't getting one more dime from me until this crap is fixed.  They have 30 days (though anyone that was supposed to get 30 days or so free for buying the game should be comped) to get it all worked out or my money is staying in my pocket.  I was very prepared to chunk down 6 months of service for the game until its common for me to be met with Error 1017 for hours on end, now i'm not so sure that i'm giving them any money.  They also state that you can make 8 characters per server, but they halted character creation on "Leviathan" server (I understand why they did, but I don't like it one bit).  So long and short of it is, they owe US, the players, fans and financiers of this game.  They need to make it right.  Only problem is now that people have started putting down roots on servers, no one is going to want to move, they will want everyone else to move off the server even if they allow free transfers. If they allow free transfers, how long will it take to move all these people.  Way longer then they have.
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by pokolo
    is this game seamless open world or it have loadings all over the place?

I second this question. Is it a seamless and open world ?

In other words, is it like WoW with vast stretches of lands that can be traveled without seeing a loading screen or is it like GW2 where you have to go thru a loading screen every time you cross into another zone ?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Conley
    5.1? Wow staying far away from this game for sure. I thought this was supposed to be such amazing remake but apparently SquareEnix failed again. 

5.1 is the game from 2 years ago  (and should be removed because it causing confusion)

mmorpg.com has not given their rating for FFARR yet

• RaveiceRaveice Member Posts: 22

Review In progress, so far, you fail just write mostly about server problems as a whine post like they do in the forum though everyone knows they're working to fix this ..

They can not ignore us they are working around the clock to fix it.

People need to calm down at times, not end of the world tomorrow.

It has always been like this on all the new games Lanuch. I have not seen anything perfect start where there has been lot of problems.

I'm also a bit annoyed but I have played and not complaining about it, but my friends that I wanted to play with can not post right now sinna characters on that server I'm playing right now. But it will be resolved soon