Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New parkour video

Comments

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

calm down guys and take a break to think.

First we dont see Jalena the Wizard. We see the Jalena the Adventurer. just compare the clothes she weraes in the video to this picture

conclusion of the above statement is., Its probably footage from Landmark. Landmark will have big vast space to build stuff. Its not fun at all to slowly walk big vast emtpy areas. this tuned up parkour jumping will mostliky be tuned down for EQN, but in landmark it could help to travel faster or reach higher places on the stuff you build. We still dont know exactly how the tools will work. 

third it could mean different classes will have different jumping styles. medium armored classes like rouges or adventureres could go more acrobatic, while caster could use some magic help, and heavy classes are more bound to the ground. I dont know how it will turn out. And surly no one else here.

Wait and see

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Tygranir

I love the kids on these forums

"My character can negotiate the terrain in a way that makes sense? Game is fail"

I guess I'll reply in kind: See you at launch!

I love it. Someone who prefers to jump around like a spastic monkey calling other people "kids".

Hilarious.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    This fantasy MMORPG is looking a little too Disney teen super hero all of a sudden. WTF!?

Yeah, they obviously spent a lot of time and designer resources making this - and now they don't understand how anyone can think it looks infantile and boring.

It's an issue where movement style clashes so strongly with one’s expectations for the genre that it destroys the logical and internal consistency of the world. It matters because without it you simply can’t take the game content seriously. It becomes a freaking  joke and gets thrown away just like every book or movie that contradicts itself so and "jumps the shark" like Fonzie in Happy Days. In a fantasy MMORPG we expect to be able to "explore" a world of excitement and adventure rather than play superhero dude on the cliffs. She looks like Spiderman flipping around without web shooters in that video. Its just seems outright silly for this setting. Even if its just for landmark stuff there are better ways to handle it with far less investment of resources. I am not throwing in the towel on the game but this is a head scratcher leaving me to wonder what they are thinking here.

PS Edit: I mean seriously who are they targeting this at? If they think a "younger generation" will over look the breakdown of genre expectations for the "wheee" factor they botched it as they are more entitled than us dirty old farts. 

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

That jumping/flying video looks more like a jedi move in a Star Wars game than something that would be done in a EQ world.

If a normal person was to do those moves in the real world, they would more than likely end up dead, not landing unharmed on their feet.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Maybe they should incorporate an endurance bar so you can only do short bursts of super awesome parkour movement at a time. 
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    That looks awesome. I don't think EQN is gonna be my perfect game, due to the likelihood that there won't be ow pvp and no looting. But I'm still pretty excited to try it. If it's sandboxy enough, I can look past the lack of pvp.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    This fantasy MMORPG is looking a little too Disney teen super hero all of a sudden. WTF!?

Agreed flying through the air and doing backward flips every 3rd step running forward is just... WTF.

Seems very much the Hyper ADD game. Look at me! No more boring realistic walking or running.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

People all have different forms of character immersion or what they perceive their character to be like. With that said I think they should make it to where players can choose to do all the parkour moves, a select amount, or none at all. I can see why some players will not be too happy if their characters do not seem like they should be doing kick flips off ledge and then have to watch it 24/7.

Character ownership is pretty important imo...even the aesthetics are important but there are usually enough options to make most people happy with some form of the variation. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    So now i'm a little confused.  Are we going to be running around like in the video, doing crazy flips and matrix style moves while also doing our combat, kind of like Age of Wushu?  Or is this parkour stuff its own separate mode?

No, the way I understood it, we CAN move like this. I mean, if you glide down and move over small ledges, your character will animate like this, but high jumping and float you CAN do but have to do it actively.

I REALLY like this aspect. MMO chars were waaaay too stiff all these years. It is cool to see MMOs finally get characters who are capable of full 3-dimensional movement. :)

I dont understand why people are so acidic about this. Dont wanna jump, well then DONT. duh...

A hero is supposed to be a person on top form. I mean, you are going out killing dangerous stuff, so we can assume such characters are athletic and fit. It just adds some cool realism. Like swimming. The more realistic characters and worlds are, the better. (And before you tell me, REAL people cant jump like this, trust me, youtube it, some can. Plus, it is a MAGICAL world. So go figure.) it is just an EXAMPLE what you can do in the world. It is not that the game is a parcour game! Man, I swear sometimes I think some people just WANT to hate everything that is new! I know... unthinkable...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    where is the parkour part? last parkour game i played was Mirrors Edge and (Warframe has some elements of it too, like wall runs). Correct me if im wrong but Theres nothing parkour in this video, just double jumping and sliding and gliding.......

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Ridrith

I love the kids on these forums

"My character can negotiate the terrain in a way that makes sense? Game is fail"

I guess I'll reply in kind: See you at launch!

It makes sense to glide through the air and launch yourself off the side of a cliff while doing a back flip?  I sure as hell don't move like that while I'm traversing different terrain.  I REALLY hope that this Parkour crap is an option that can be turned OFF.  This is too cheesy, even for me.  

For those people who complained about how unrealistic GW2 was with the rolling and such...  Just take a look at this goofy game.  I want to play it, but damn, I really do hope this isn't just going to be the default...  Such a terrible shame if it is.  I want to run around and STAY flat footed while I move about.  I don't want to be a damn acrobat.

So, instead of sliding down an incline you'd rather run down it like there is stairs. Yeah that sounds like a great alternative.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    It IS a great alternative in comparison to what they have now.
    I like to complain about games.
    It IS a great alternative in comparison to what they have now.

Good thing there are plenty of other games that offer that, right?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

Broken parkour is broken.  Thank you, come again.

Just make it a optional choice, SOE.  Don't be dumb.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Karteli

Didn't SOE also remove the "jump button", making jumping automatic when going off a cliff?  Was manual jumping too complicated? hmm

If I had to flip everytime I jumped over a small ledge, I'd rather just walk off it instead.

I was going to say that it reminded me of Wushu, until I realized it was passive. 

Still interesting.

I'd be interested to know how you can double jump or jump in the middle of sliding down a slope like shown here and in the apst if jumping is only passive.

I believe you're confusing being able to vault low obstacles automatically for  a lack of a jump button.

or you can play the game they are making, not the game you want them to make.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

I'm pretty sure that'd be going against the exact principle that SoE is going for this time around.  I don't know if you've noticed the Round Table or not...  But yeah, they obviously want input on these types of subjects.  So I'm failing to see your point here.  If I was looking to vault around like a super hero I'd go play a super hero game.

Crazy Stick put it best.

"It's an issue where movement style clashes so strongly with one’s expectations for the genre that it destroys the logical and internal consistency of the world. It matters because without it you simply can’t take the game content seriously. It becomes a freaking  joke and gets thrown away just like every book or movie that contradicts itself so and "jumps the shark" like Fonzie in Happy Days. In a fantasy MMORPG we expect to be able to "explore" a world of excitement and adventure rather than play superhero dude on the cliffs. She looks like Spiderman flipping around without web shooters in that video. Its just seems outright silly for this setting. Even if its just for landmark stuff there are better ways to handle it with far less investment of resources. I am not throwing in the towel on the game but this is a head scratcher leaving me to wonder what they are thinking here.

PS Edit: I mean seriously who are they targeting this at? If they think a "younger generation" will over look the breakdown of genre expectations for the "wheee" factor they botched it as they are more entitled than us dirty old farts." 

I'm pretty sure that'd be going against the exact principle that SoE is going for this time around.  I don't know if you've noticed the Round Table or not...  But yeah, they obviously want input on these types of subjects.  So I'm failing to see your point here.  If I was looking to vault around like a super hero I'd go play a super hero game.

Crazy Stick put it best.

"It's an issue where movement style clashes so strongly with one’s expectations for the genre that it destroys the logical and internal consistency of the world. It matters because without it you simply can’t take the game content seriously. It becomes a freaking  joke and gets thrown away just like every book or movie that contradicts itself so and "jumps the shark" like Fonzie in Happy Days. In a fantasy MMORPG we expect to be able to "explore" a world of excitement and adventure rather than play superhero dude on the cliffs. She looks like Spiderman flipping around without web shooters in that video. Its just seems outright silly for this setting. Even if its just for landmark stuff there are better ways to handle it with far less investment of resources. I am not throwing in the towel on the game but this is a head scratcher leaving me to wonder what they are thinking here.

PS Edit: I mean seriously who are they targeting this at? If they think a "younger generation" will over look the breakdown of genre expectations for the "wheee" factor they botched it as they are more entitled than us dirty old farts." 

Oh, so you are saying the genre shouldn't evolve to match today's technology. Then, in the most simplest of terms, I disagree

If I was a half-feline and half-human berserker, you're damn right I'd be dominating waist high walls.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

I don't know how you get that from what I posted there.  Enjoy your opinion.  I'll keep mine.
    I don't know how you get that from what I posted there.  Enjoy your opinion.  I'll keep mine.

Precisely what opinions are good for. Good job. You did it successfully.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

omg, three quarters of you  have obviously never played  as long as you boast,  this parkor system beats the hell out of  what HAS BEEN THE SAME  TIRED  RUNNING/ JUMPING ANIMATION FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS.

you all want the same tired old systems, please go play the dozen out at the moment. 

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by killahh

omg, three quarters of you  have obviously never played  as long as you boast,  this parkor system beats the hell out of  what HAS BEEN THE SAME  TIRED  RUNNING/ JUMPING ANIMATION FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS.

you all want the same tired old systems, please go play the dozen out at the moment. 

What are you doing?!?!

Talking about something that wasn't established 10 years ago must be wrong.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

omg, three quarters of you  have obviously never played  as long as you boast,  this parkor system beats the hell out of  what HAS BEEN THE SAME  TIRED  RUNNING/ JUMPING ANIMATION FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS.you all want the same tired old systems, please go play the dozen out at the moment. 

Speaking for myself here, it just looks cheap. I mean, if you want to have this in your game go for it. But the fact is that there are tons of games that do this way better so it makes what SOE is doing look half ass and pretty amateur.

I'll give em an A for effort but what they are showing is pretty weak compared to other devs. And no, they don't get a free pass just cause its an mmo and not a console game. They wanna add console type movement, they're gonna get judged with the big boys.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Speaking for myself here, it just looks cheap. I mean, if you want to have this in your game go for it. But the fact is that there are tons of games that do this way better so it makes what SOE is doing look half ass and pretty amateur.

I'll give em an A for effort but what they are showing is pretty weak compared to other devs. And no, they don't get a free pass just cause its an mmo and not a console game. They wanna add console type movement, they're gonna get judged with the big boys.

There are games that do every facet of MMORPGs except the massive bit much better than MMORPGs do and have been for years.

Exactly.  ^  That times a million.  It just looks cheap and poorly done.