Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only in-game complaint so far...dungeon runs part of main quest

Comments

• xsidurax22xsidurax22 Member Posts: 21
    Simple solution: form a group of 4 through /shout (or /free company if you're in one - highly recommended), THEN use the duty finder and the dungeon pops immediately.  My favourite element of the game so far is the dungeons. 
  • DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    wrong thread
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I'm liking having the dungeons as part of the story, though not all are. It gives more meaning to them than just a side thing. Still, having 3 dungeons at level 15ish one after another was a little annoying. Lol

The story is epic and the game is really fun regardless, so whatever. I'd say shoutfor people in the area, and get into a FC to have more people to ask. The more social you get, the less bad it's gonna be in general.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Geez people really get on their high horses in topics like these. Appreciate the sincere replies, but the lecturers can take that crap somewhere else.

Where do you get that I do not want to group?! 

All I said was I would rather dungeons were not on the main story quest....I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE THE STORY WHILE QUEUED! And at times there is just not a good opportunity to group. Or maybe I only have 30 minutes to play and want to knock a quest out. 

Is this really too much to ask? So many elitists.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Put together a team manually, we ra one with two dps and two Arcanists last night, the tank pet works well for the lower level dungeons if people play smart

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Viper482

Geez people really get on their high horses in topics like these. Appreciate the sincere replies, but the lecturers can take that crap somewhere else.

Where do you get that I do not want to group?! 

All I said was I would rather dungeons were not on the main story quest....I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE THE STORY WHILE QUEUED! And at times there is just not a good opportunity to group. Or maybe I only have 30 minutes to play and want to knock a quest out. 

Is this really too much to ask? So many elitists.

Yeah I feel you pain.

Some times its like the storyline progression comes to a screeching halt...oops time to queue up and wait to handle this pressing issue of the utmost urgency.  Ill get around to it in 50minuets don't worry NPC everything will be fine.

There was one stretch where it seemed like 3 dungeons back to back, which was a lot of queue time.  Another one where you get held prisoner and the way out is a dungeon queue (yeah you can recall but still)

Its a bit goofy early level though, the game seems to open up much more later on and you have lots of areas you can go do a lot of quests in, while you wait for the finder.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    It's more of a fault with the Trinity system. Devs should try to make tanks and healers as appealing as DPS characters are, but that rarely works.

Well let's be honest, that's because tanks and healers are responsible for making sure the group survives/succeeds while DPS is mostly along for the ride.

Few are willing to shoulder the responsibility and inevitable blame when things go sour, usually from DPS who have no idea what's involved.

I'll quote this post, because it's shorter.

I think that's only one part of the problem. Another part is that DPS classes are usually faster and more interesting to solo with. That's one of the reasons I'd support a CC/tank/healer trinity setup, with everyone being able to deal equal damage.

I love tanking and healing in groups, but when you're solo, those classes tend to be awfully boring.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    then you wonder why the new next gen mmo's coming out are going away from trinity.   this is yet another reason i'm glad i didnt get this game now.   Trinity is bad bad bad
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Does this game have any non instanced open world dungeons?
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I was wondering if anyone felt the same as I do and apparently...they do! For example I've been stuck on my level 41 dungeon quest for a while. Just grinding away. Some leves, some FATES, some killing, some chatting/helping

(It would be a bit easier if they allowed you to queue for the DF with your Choco but that constitutes a 'party' and isn't allowed.)

After an hour or so (this time) we get a group. 3 of us hadn't done the dungeon before so I asked the mechanics of the 1st fight. We didn't do so well. Healer wasn't getting the tank and apologized. 2nd time we were doing better but 'oops' and dead.Tank quits. We wait. And wait and 20 minutes later we decided to go back to the DF.

Games should encourage dungeons but not make them a forced part of the story.

My quest to my FC was 'What happens in a couple of months when a new player comes in? They never progress? They play until someone throws them a bone and downlevels to a low level dungeon?' The only response was 'people better make sure they have a good FC or LS so they can pull in friends'.

Really? Oh and one fellow said he would happily downlevel to help people. Thats a bad mechanic to rely on. I just don't get it? How can such a well built game (generally speaking) have such a major flaw in the design.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Does this game have any non instanced open world dungeons?

Nope.

Edit: @Digna. I agree and disagree. I'm sort of torn on the whole story quest requiring dungeons. I understand your point of view. I've also felt the annoyance of trying to progress story only to be stopped cold by Duty Finder/Dungeon run requirement. Especially the later dungeons which are long long long. But after playing through the entire Story. Making them solo-able would have been something I couldn't agree with. Making them just things that take part in world wouldn't feel right either imho. Could they  have been done differently? No doubt. For what its worth it fits the story perfectly.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

See I disagree with that.

If for example GW2 had added all the dungeons in it's story quest (Story mode) more people would be inclined on doing them instead of being a deserted place or explorer only.

Being able to down level to help others is not bad.

Let's be honest we can use the new players after a while topic on pretty much any game. You won't always find people willing to do x dungeon since it's a low level dungeon now for them BUT since duty finder checks between all servers instead of only your server you might find some other people wishing to do the same as you.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Viper482

It is absurd, especially if you are dps. The queue takes no short than 45 minutes on my server, and even though I unchecked "in progress" I still get stuck in a fail group where everyone is in the process of quitting and I get stuck IN the dungeon by myself or with another person or two....who eventually leave as well because no healer or tank is coming in. 

The quest says to specifically use duty finder, so I am not sure if just running the dungeon with a pug will work. Even then as dps trying to find a group manually is tough as well. 

All in all  this should be a side quest, I do not recall any MMO's where this type of thing was in the main quest. 

lol

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by botrytis
    The amazing Trinity-centric gaming at work here. If you are a Tank or healer, you wouldn't be waiting. That is the way Trinity-based games are.

Funny how as a dps, I get in within 5 minutes. At least people have roles, not just mash bashing their leet buttons.

• jsimonyejsimonye Member Posts: 2
    I agree with the OP, the story which is based on you being special, and the chosen one shouldn't force you into playing with a group. In the videos you don't see the other people, what kinda sense does that make? The story quests need to be solo, it loses all heroism. As someone else stated, an MMO just means that you're playing online with other people. Nowhere does it say you HAVE to. Don't be stupid. Some content should be solo, some should be grouped, story related events should be solo.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Obviously never played FFXI. If any of you complaining did, you would realize how good you have it in FFXIV. Making you group up is a good thing, and should be in more games, story or not. God I would have loved to see some of these people in FFXI, back in the day.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by botrytis
    The amazing Trinity-centric gaming at work here. If you are a Tank or healer, you wouldn't be waiting. That is the way Trinity-based games are.

If the alternative is GW2 style then I think I will stay right where I am at..... 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    I thought dungeons being unlocked by the main story quests was a great idea.  It involves the dungeons in the story is one benefit to it.  Another is there is incentive to stick with the quests instead of just FATE farming, because you have to do them in order to unlock the dungeons.
  • SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

I queue for dungeons then switch to something else, usually a gathering class, and have the gear set for the job I queued as on my hotbar.

When the dungeon invite pops up I just hit the gear set on hotbar and then commence.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    I thought dungeons being unlocked by the main story quests was a great idea.  It involves the dungeons in the story is one benefit to it.  Another is there is incentive to stick with the quests instead of just FATE farming, because you have to do them in order to unlock the dungeons.

I agree.  It's a great feature.  And I say that as a player who normally skips "leveling dungeons" because I find them inefficient.  Well, they may be, but I do like actually having to play through them to advance the story.  

Normally while I am waiting I run FATEs or do some DOL gathering or something like that.

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

I just rolled a tank, because i figured id be using duty finder alot anyways and its far easier to be the more informed and reduce your own queue times, not to mention also reducing frustrating wipes. 

Got to the lvl 28 hauuke manor dungeon, my queue was exactly instant, and when i finished the dungeon the ppl waiting outside all instant invite me. 

The real problem is how noone is playing tanks. 

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Rollcage8

I just rolled a tank, because i figured id be using duty finder alot anyways and its far easier to be the more informed and reduce your own queue times, not to mention also reducing frustrating wipes. 

Got to the lvl 28 hauuke manor dungeon, my queue was exactly instant, and when i finished the dungeon the ppl waiting outside all instant invite me. 

That problem will never be solved.  Most players don't want to play tanks or healers for playstyle reasons.  It's just the nature of the beast.  I do think that DPS players should realize that because they picked a class role that is played by 90%+ of the playerbase, they are going to have to wait for their spots.

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Games shouldn't have "main quests" that are required for class progression much less requiring a specific group size for any content.  The game is fun for what it is but "old school" it is not.

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Knightblast
    Originally posted by Rollcage8

That problem will never be solved.  Most players don't want to play tanks or healers for playstyle reasons.  It's just the nature of the beast.  I do think that DPS players should realize that because they picked a class role that is played by 90%+ of the playerbase, they are going to have to wait for their spots.

The problem is that tanks and healers have larger elements of failure to complete their role. People are fearful of failure so they choose less risky dps classes. 

I wont play any more mmorpgs that do not incoroporate story driven leveling experiences alongside standard mmorpg kill and deliver quests.

TSW, Gw2 and FFXIV all have major storylines that really help make leveling fun.

ffxiv uses dungeons and i think its awesome, but i changed my main class to tank because i found out it was required to do dungeons while leveling. 

• darthadendarthaden Member Posts: 47
    They should have simply made the basic party 1 tank 1 healer and 4 dps. Require more dps would cut que times in half