Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about asking for a refund :(

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    There has to be many who have already left because of this horrible server service.

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I bought the last physical copy in my area at a gamestop, and I have been able to play here and there. Sure, I am a little upset that I haven't been able to play like 24/7. I really enjoy the game, and I have faith in SE. Sure, people will be butthurt, but like... Have some patience people, yeah it sucks, but don't go to an extreme. OMG this sucks refund plox. Give them time, it will be fixed :)

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

These threads are so annoying. The game hasn't even been out for a week, and like EVERYONE has been posting, the servers are full. If you can't log in at around noon PDT, or after 10 PDT, then you aren't getting in. Getting access to a new MMO during the PEAK PLAY  TIME is damn near impossible. The games that didn't have the "world is full" thing, had massive queue times. I remember in both Rift and SWTOR I had some 4+ hour wait times.

And as for the AFK kicker, they don't  really work because every time they implement one, people find a way around it. For instance, with Rift, you couldn't be standing still for too long, so what did people do? They just turned on auto run and had their character running into a wall. You'd run through town and people would just be running into walls. And then they implemented the "can't be standing or  running in the one area for too long", so what did people do? They set up a macro program to make their character run around in circles.

The only thing that is going to fix this issue, is MORE servers which they are doing. So just fucking relax.

Killing dragons is my shit

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    There has to be many who have already left because of this horrible server service.

I guess that will free up some space for the people who actually really want to play the game

Killing dragons is my shit

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101

That's not true, ive gotten into game several times today, ive gotten on during peak times.

Its not easy, and yeah its a total pain...but ive been able to play whenever I wanted since launch...just sometimes it takes 15-25min...usually around 10min.

I think people are either giving up after one try or exaggerating.

Yeah if you don't already have a character created somewhere you are fcked.

If you do have a character created, it takes usually 5-10min of spamming log in.

If the server list is down, just wait 30min and it will be back up.

Not the end of the world but certainly Wednesday cant come fast enough.

Its funny, I hope these people do charge backs, get IP banned, CC banned hardware ID banned then come back complaining why they cant play.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Only one MMO had as many problems at launch was WoW and look how that turned out. 

In 2004.

This is 2013.

Spoken like someone who knows little or nothing about networking. 

You think networking architecture and hardware hasn't changed in 9 years? Seriously?

If you want to find someone who knows nothing about networking, I would suggest a mirror.

Sure it has... its what I went to school for and do every day. For some reason people think more modern tech means everything is plug and play lol. I could start talking tech but by your post I can tell you would not get it lol

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Only one MMO had as many problems at launch was WoW and look how that turned out. 

In 2004.

This is 2013.

You think networking architecture and hardware hasn't changed in 9 years? Seriously?

If you want to find someone who knows nothing about networking, I would suggest a mirror.

Sure it has... its what I went to school for and do every day. For some reason people think more modern tech means everything is plug and play lol. I could start talking tech but by your post I can tell you would not get it lol

Get What !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by doragon86
    The thing is though they had to have been well aware of their preorder numbers. So how were they not prepared for the influx of players is what I don't understand. 

Sort of depends on when the sales happened.  If there were a ton of people like me, who purchased the game after testing it in Phase 4 - well, no...sales data isn't normally transmitted that quickly.  Assuming a standard week lead time, that would have given them basically no time to react.

Pretty much the whole "oh crap, that's a LOT of sales we didn't expect".

The thing is though that there are trends for this sort of thing that allows them to predict things in advance and scale back resources as necessary. I'm sure if they looked at other MMO launches they would've seen a trend of increased sales toward launch. So I can't really accept that excuse. I honestly feel as though someone decided to wing it and see how it goes. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• RandyMyersRandyMyers Member Posts: 2

The way I look at it is this...

I paid $160 for a Collectors Edition copy for my wife and myself three years ago.  It was the biggest bunch of dog poop I ever had on one of my computers... They knew it and agreed...

This is their second chance.  To make up for v1.0 this should be and had to be perfect.  No release issues, no serious game issues, etc.  People have shown them forgiveness but will not be leant at all.  Honestly they do not deserve any slack or understanding.

Not being able to login most of the time on a new MMO is completely unacceptable.  To misjudge the amount of servers they would need is absolutely ridicules.  This is 2013 and online games have been out a very long time.  This is not a new frontier and the blame goes directly on SE.  I mean 25 Japanese servers and 25 servers to cover the rest of the world.  WoW (which I hate comparing things to because I am not a fan)has well over 200 servers for the USA alone.  SE knows this and decided to see how it would go the first week.  A complete lack of judgment and one undeserving of "giving them a break".

Lets give you my example... yesterday, the first Saturday the game is live.  My wife and I work all week so we wanted to give this re-release of something we paid ALOT for three years ago a good try.  Three day weekend, good time to give it a go.  WRONG... she tried from 7 AM about every 1/2 hours or so until finally got in at 10 PM.  So we decided to not turn off our computers last night (which we usually do not do because our computer room gets hot).  We were both able to play this morning since we were still logged in.  My computer crashed after an hour or so, because of their crappy code.  I have not been able to get back on.  It has been 5 hours.  My wife wants me to play with her and she is getting very disappointed in the game.  I have almost had it and have started to uninstall twice. 

You may say it is over reacting, but remember, they took our money without delivering a long time ago and are on very thin ice.  Again, SE does not deserve patience and understanding on this second go around.

They knew this was a long holiday weekend they were releasing on.  They knew the numbers of people who pre-ordered, signed up from v1.0. etc.  To have the same number of servers to handle the rest of the world as they do to handle Japan alone is an insult.  To have a grand total of 50 servers for all the world after how hard they have been advertising and apologizing and asking for forgiveness is beyond insulting.

The game may be fine... there are a lot of fine games.  Elder Scrolls Online is just around the corner.  EQ Next is just around the corner.  GW2, Neverwinter, etc etc etc are out now.  There are hundreds of MMOs.  People no longer are patient with companies that do not use common decency.

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    The thing is though they had to have been well aware of their preorder numbers. So how were they not prepared for the influx of players is what I don't understand. 

Sort of depends on when the sales happened.  If there were a ton of people like me, who purchased the game after testing it in Phase 4 - well, no...sales data isn't normally transmitted that quickly.  Assuming a standard week lead time, that would have given them basically no time to react.

Pretty much the whole "oh crap, that's a LOT of sales we didn't expect".

The thing is though that there are trends for this sort of thing that allows them to predict things in advance and scale back resources as necessary. I'm sure if they looked at other MMO launches they would've seen a trend of increased sales toward launch. So I can't really accept that excuse. I honestly feel as though someone decided to wing it and see how it goes. 

So without the 20/20 vision of hindsight.

How would you have predicted the relaunch of a game that failed miserably would have went?  Would you ever assume it would break records for concurrent connections?

Also if these trends and prediction stuff was so good...we wouldn't have this be the norm for any popular game.

• DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I called and asked Gamestop about a refund. They are looking into it right now. But they did say I would probably have to get it through SquareEnix themselves. Will keep you posted on the situation. Don't think they are open tomorrow.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Not even 2 weeks into a MMO launch. Get a grip. This is a online service and can happen. We waited 3 years to fix this game we can wait a few weeks to let them fix the service problems. Also Yoshi has said no one is getting charged till they get the servers running. Only one MMO had as many problems at launch was WoW and look how that turned out. I got so much free time from server down time when WoW launched I almost had 2 months free with my 30 days free.

I think the one that needs to "get a gripe" is you.  There have been PLENTY of MMO's that I have been able to play the day of launch...  As a matter of fact I can't think of ONE I have not been able to play the day of launch (Not weeks later)

Stop defending this poor service this game is offering.  Fun game or not it has failed at this point.  Call it like it is and stop looking through those rose tented glasses.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

In 2004.

This is 2013.

Who the hell is talking about plug and play? Where did you pick that up from?

You can't sit there and tell me that you can compare WoW and FFXIV's launches when server hardware is faster and more efficient than it was in 2004. Unless SE hasn't updated their infrastructure in many years, I'd say it's poor capacity planning, lack of analysis of functional traffic, a configuration problem, or all of the above. Or maybe they just don't understand how to create and apply a peak workload model.

Then again, maybe that "technical" college of yours hasn't been able to afford new textbooks since 2004.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by RandyMyers

I paid $160 for a Collectors Edition copy for my wife and myself three years ago.  It was the biggest bunch of dog poop I ever had on one of my computers... They knew it and agreed...

This is their second chance.  To make up for v1.0 this should be and had to be perfect.  No release issues, no serious game issues, etc.  People have shown them forgiveness but will not be leant at all.  Honestly they do not deserve any slack or understanding.

Not being able to login most of the time on a new MMO is completely unacceptable.  To misjudge the amount of servers they would need is absolutely ridicules.  This is 2013 and online games have been out a very long time.  This is not a new frontier and the blame goes directly on SE.  I mean 25 Japanese servers and 25 servers to cover the rest of the world.  WoW (which I hate comparing things to because I am not a fan)has well over 200 servers for the USA alone.  SE knows this and decided to see how it would go the first week.  A complete lack of judgment and one undeserving of "giving them a break".

Lets give you my example... yesterday, the first Saturday the game is live.  My wife and I work all week so we wanted to give this re-release of something we paid ALOT for three years ago a good try.  Three day weekend, good time to give it a go.  WRONG... she tried from 7 AM about every 1/2 hours or so until finally got in at 10 PM.  So we decided to not turn off our computers last night (which we usually do not do because our computer room gets hot).  We were both able to play this morning since we were still logged in.  My computer crashed after an hour or so, because of their crappy code.  I have not been able to get back on.  It has been 5 hours.  My wife wants me to play with her and she is getting very disappointed in the game.  I have almost had it and have started to uninstall twice. 

You may say it is over reacting, but remember, they took our money without delivering a long time ago and are on very thin ice.  Again, SE does not deserve patience and understanding on this second go around.

They knew this was a long holiday weekend they were releasing on.  They knew the numbers of people who pre-ordered, signed up from v1.0. etc.  To have the same number of servers to handle the rest of the world as they do to handle Japan alone is an insult.  To have a grand total of 50 servers for all the world after how hard they have been advertising and apologizing and asking for forgiveness is beyond insulting.

The game may be fine... there are a lot of fine games.  Elder Scrolls Online is just around the corner.  EQ Next is just around the corner.  GW2, Neverwinter, etc etc etc are out now.  There are hundreds of MMOs.  People no longer are patient with companies that do not use common decency.

^^ This...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by RandyMyers

^^ This...

Agree 150%. 

Once the initial month is done, I know myself and many many others are done with this.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Never buy a new gaming console at launch, and never buy a new MMO at launch, at least until a few days after the official launch when you can get news on how servers are doing.  These are the two rules for someone who considers their time valuable.

Originally posted by grimal

Agree 150%. 

Once the initial month is done, I know myself and many many others are done with this.

why even wait until the initial month is done?  arent you just wasting time that you could be putting into a game you DO enjoy?
  • RandyMyersRandyMyers Member Posts: 2
    Why not do something revolutionary like require everyone to logoff after two hours of play.  Just to give others a chance to play.  Sure people will be pissed and complain but it is better than the thousands who can not even login at all.  At least they get a chance to play and those people can log back in, but at least it gives some opening for people to get on some.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Don't feel bad, I already requested a refund and got it.  I recommend doing it.  As far as I can tell Square Enix is one of the most inept gaming companies out there.  The service not only works half the time but let's not even start on the maze that is their account management/store.  Accounts, different keys, visit different websites to purchase/register game.  Two-three different account management pages/websites...  Just a total waste of time and space.

The people who are you telling you NOT to get a refund or to get a grip are wrong.  If you're not able to play the game you're not getting the product you paid for.  I don't care if the game cost 10 dollars.  It's PRINCIPLE.  Something that a lot of people don't understand these days.

I like to complain about games.
  • MegaTrANMegaTrAN Member UncommonPosts: 11
    The people defending SE should be glad we are getting our refunds. One less person to compete with to log-in.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    I would go play some Rift, Aion, or TERA and then decide if you want the refund still. As bad as the login issues are it's better than anything else out there, even the stuff coming down the pipe. After getting to level 40 I couldn't play another MMO if I wanted to, this is where it's at. Hang in there, you'll be glad you did :)
  • ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64

Or the game is performing better than expected? There is nothing wrong with the game, it's one of better polished MMOs. They've already said stated that their estimated figures on how many people would be playing is much more than they expected.

so to reiterate what NanFoodle said - not exactly plug-and-play.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    And that's why you NEVER buy an MMORPG before it's out. If it's fun and stable on day 1 it will be fun and stable on day 30.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Derros

Never buy a new gaming console at launch, and never buy a new MMO at launch, at least until a few days after the official launch when you can get news on how servers are doing.  These are the two rules for someone who considers their time valuable.

Originally posted by grimal

Agree 150%. 

why even wait until the initial month is done?  arent you just wasting time that you could be putting into a game you DO enjoy?

maybe he/she is enjoying the game aside from the server issues? kinda odd though.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Not realy the servers are still full 99% of the time so either those who left quickly got replaced or there still there which just shows how good a game might be, once u get inside the full servers :P

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Ridrith

Don't feel bad, I already requested a refund and got it.  I recommend doing it.  As far as I can tell Square Enix is one of the most inept gaming companies out there.  The service not only works half the time but let's not even start on the maze that is their account management/store.  Accounts, different keys, visit different websites to purchase/register game.  Two-three different account management pages/websites...  Just a total waste of time and space.

The people who are you telling you NOT to get a refund or to get a grip are wrong.  If you're not able to play the game you're not getting the product you paid for.  I don't care if the game cost 10 dollars.  It's PRINCIPLE.  Something that a lot of people don't understand these days.

Technically ur not paying for it yet, you bought the disk/game which u got and then ur paying for the subrsciption which there not charging u for until they fix server issues what u get now is free access when u can get in. completly free.