Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New parkour video

donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
Looking a lot better!

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    So now i'm a little confused.  Are we going to be running around like in the video, doing crazy flips and matrix style moves while also doing our combat, kind of like Age of Wushu?  Or is this parkour stuff its own separate mode?
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    This fantasy MMORPG is looking a little too Disney teen super hero all of a sudden. WTF!?
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    I wonder if the parkour is class/race based.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    I wonder if the parkour is class/race based.

Imagine dwarf doing this stuff. Hilarious thought, isnt it.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

I just don't get it.

I mean, it looks cool and all, but it seems like a lot of pointless effort on the part of the devs. On top of that, parkour doesn't really fit in a fantasy world. At least not by a wizard. A rogue certainly makes sense, but an old man wizard, or a guardian wearing 100 lbs of armor, won't be doing fancy little flips and slides

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Didn't SOE also remove the "jump button", making jumping automatic when going off a cliff?  Was manual jumping too complicated? hmm

If I had to flip everytime I jumped over a small ledge, I'd rather just walk off it instead.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Played a bit Saints Row IV this week and it realy made me wonder if that is the target audience EQN is aiming at. The parkour thing and the promo-combat we have seen are just as rediculous as SRIV.
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

I just don't get it.

I mean, it looks cool and all, but it seems like a lot of pointless effort on the part of the devs. On top of that, parkour doesn't really fit in a fantasy world. At least not by a wizard. A rogue certainly makes sense, but an old man wizard, or a guardian wearing 100 lbs of armor, won't be doing fancy little flips and slides

Kind of why I was wondering if it is class based at all, or race based....this kind of stuff may make sense for the "Adventurer" class if it is some kind of agile explorer class...which I don't know if it is or isn't

but maybe not so much sense for a necromancer or shadowknight.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

The fact that all they are showing us is videos of jumping and not-in-game concept art is starting to be worrying... Is it just me or do I remember hearing playable EQN would be playable at SOELive 2013? 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

Did they just start this game or something? Stop all the talk and show some substance before even more people lose interest in this game.

Originally posted by Utinni

The fact that all they are showing us is videos of jumping and not-in-game concept art is starting to be worrying... Is it just me or do I remember hearing playable EQN would be playable at SOELive 2013? 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

Did they just start this game or something? Stop all the talk and show some substance before even more people lose interest in this game.

They obviously do not have more to show, you are seeing what they have made. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    they should let us choose to turn this parkour shit off in-game.
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Utinni

I wonder if this is actualy EQN or just Landmark thats used for promotion. PR might be the thing that happened with the "playable at SOELive" thing the pr-department decided against it and went the route of more landmark(maybe giving them more time to counter things like TESO or find better arguments against GW2).

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

Never saw the point in why this "Parkour" has become a selling point for many recent games. It adds visual appeal for some I'd reckon, but how much effort does it require on the developer's part as a result?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Originally posted by ghorgos

I wonder if this is actualy EQN or just Landmark thats used for promotion. PR might be the thing that happened with the "playable at SOELive" thing the pr-department decided against it and went the route of more landmark(maybe giving them more time to counter things like TESO or find better arguments against GW2).

Judging by how dev's have been responding to concerns, they are probably trying to find ways to make what they have seem more appealing before showing it. Reveal day the internet blew up with the graphics/combat/trinity QQ and within the first week they had tried to explain a lot of those concerns via reddit/twitter. Unfortunately almost all of their answers were "solved" (i.e. trinity solved by AI) by things they can't explain or demonstrate yet. Hurray for kerrans not all being lions though. 

If you look at the dev team they are all much older than their target audience and it shows in what they make now at SOE. Did anyone else cringe each time devs in panels asked the crowd if they liked the game? Why do you have to ask ?

I've had an active SOE game subscription for 10 of the past 13 years but this is really throwing me for a loop. 

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Very nice. =)

For those that asked: Everyone will have the same parkour movements but each class will also have their own special movement ability.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I don't get it. I think it's stupid and ridiculous and doesn't fit the EQ theme. In fact it doesn't fit any fantasy mmorpg theme except that of ASIAN style. This is not something I was expecting from EQ Next, they are pushing the TRENDING button and putting it into our mmorpg's now? WTF is wrong with them. Parkour is super big on YouTube, so let's put that idea into our game. FFS I wish these developers would get a damn clue and stop ruining our games.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Seems a bit over the top ridiculous to me. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Karteli

Didn't SOE also remove the "jump button", making jumping automatic when going off a cliff?  Was manual jumping too complicated? hmm

If I had to flip everytime I jumped over a small ledge, I'd rather just walk off it instead.

I was going to say that it reminded me of Wushu, until I realized it was passive. 

Still interesting.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    This fantasy MMORPG is looking a little too Disney teen super hero all of a sudden. WTF!?

Yeah, they obviously spent a lot of time and designer resources making this - and now they don't understand how anyone can think it looks infantile and boring.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by muffins89
    they should let us choose to turn this parkour shit off in-game.

If they do, it will be the first thing I do. Warcraft's terrain negotiation might be extremely boring but at least it let me jumo when I wanted to jump and not when it felt I ought to jump.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by DMKano

I don't get what parkour has to do with Everquest - it just doesn't fit IMO.

It's the first bottle of snake oil.

Smed is brewing up two more before the release.

People will buy it up like it's vintage champagne.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Ugh, seriously. Another one bites the dust for me....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It looks amateur tbh.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I love the kids on these forums

"My character can negotiate the terrain in a way that makes sense? Game is fail"

I guess I'll reply in kind: See you at launch!

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Originally posted by Tygranir

I love the kids on these forums

"My character can negotiate the terrain in a way that makes sense? Game is fail"

I guess I'll reply in kind: See you at launch!

It makes sense to glide through the air and launch yourself off the side of a cliff while doing a back flip?  I sure as hell don't move like that while I'm traversing different terrain.  I REALLY hope that this Parkour crap is an option that can be turned OFF.  This is too cheesy, even for me.  

For those people who complained about how unrealistic GW2 was with the rolling and such...  Just take a look at this goofy game.  I want to play it, but damn, I really do hope this isn't just going to be the default...  Such a terrible shame if it is.  I want to run around and STAY flat footed while I move about.  I don't want to be a damn acrobat.

I like to complain about games.