Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lf f2p mmo that isnt p2w

Mellowguy254Mellowguy254 Member UncommonPosts: 26

can someone give me some suggestions that would be awesome

im pretty much open to anything

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Aion, L2 are two pretty good choices IMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Tera and rift - everything else is pay to win.
  • The_OddlerThe_Oddler Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Path of Exile. It's kind of like a Diablo 2 mmo, and a very good one! Best mmo I played in years, imho.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

True free to play games become pay to win. It's just the nature of the beast. No free cake man. There are a couple of buy to play games worth considering as a result. The Secret World is buy to play and it can be found ridiculously cheap for the quality product you get (from $10 to $15.) Guild Wars 2 is buy to play averaging $35 to $40 if you know where to deal hunt. RIFT is out there and worth a look but it will require some investment too to access content. 

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Sacria
    Tera and rift - everything else is pay to win.

I second Rift, Tera seems to grindy to me, but it is good as well.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    dousnt exist.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

True free to play games become pay to win. It's just the nature of the beast. No free cake man. There are a couple of buy to play games worth considering as a result. The Secret World is buy to play and it can be found ridiculously cheap for the quality product you get (from $10 to $15.) Guild Wars 2 is buy to play averaging $35 to $40 if you know where to deal hunt. RIFT is out there and worth a look but it will require some investment too to access content. 

False rumors, RIFT does not require investments to access content

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    If you find a Free game that is not pay to win AND is still fun / polished,... let me know. I have yet to find one and have been looking for way longer then i want to admit.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I am counting new souls as content.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    It's been a while since I had it installed but DDO was always fun.  TERA is okay too, it's pay to perv, not pay to win.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I've never even played a f2p that was pay to win...Then again I never look in the cash shops so I wouldn't know.....If you're content with jsut playing the game, then most f2p MMOs can be played for free....If you have to have the best of everything and every convenience then yes you are going to pay for it.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Planeshift if you're into roleplay(completely free game), 

Path of Exile(think torchlight with more depth), neocron 2 went open source and free, 

Uncharted Waters is probably the best ship/pirate game atm,

Dungeons and Dragons Online was always fun but i hear the ghangeed the cash shop recently so you may want to double check first,

Warframe is a well made and polished co-op shooter and you don't have to spend a penny on it

Firefall can be fun for a week or two but after that..... , also if you want to compete you'll have to spend a decent amount of money($100 or so) and have to do a very large grind(likely counted in years rather than months).

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Everquest 1

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Rift and LOTRO. Good choices both
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I would suggest LotRO.  While it does have  a cash shop, you can't buy end-game gear.  In any event, you can earn the content that subs pay for by playing the game and completing deeds.  So, it is not pay to win, it is play to win.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Firefall can be fun for a week or two but after that..... , also if you want to compete you'll have to spend a decent amount of money($100 or so) and have to do a very large grind(likely counted in years rather than months).

Why do you have to spend money in Firefall? I'm missing 2 frames, got 1 almost completly upgraded and several others at mid tier, got a bike and crafting is going well. Ok, you can buy faster crafting but that is just faster not a "you have to pay for crafting" kind of thing.

In PvP everyone has the same gear and skills. If you want a new class you have to play the game. No matter what you do, you get xp and ressources to upgrade your class or craft. If you upgrade your class you get pilot tokens. For 10 tokens you can buy a new class. There really is no need to pay. 

f.e. to get the first token you need about 200k xp. For one pvp match you get 20k xp. => 10 pvp games = 1 token
    do this on all 4 starting chars and you get 12 tokens, enough to buy your first new class.

but back to topic.

Id say Path of Exile is fun if you are looking for a hack and slash kind of game.

Rift is worth a try. Each char can be played in different ways which makes it easy to switch from solo to group play.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I am counting new souls as content.

their new souls will be free when the next expansion comes, they continue producing content, and know that new souls, is something everyone will likely purchase, so its good business, they gotta make money some how.

you dont need any new souls to play everything in RIFT though

• Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

Rift

Aion

Warframe is kind of an MMO

Vindictus

Age of Conan though you're going to probably need to buy the expansion pack or subscribe for it. I havent checked in a while.

The Secret World requires you to buy the game but other than that and the episodic expansions it's free to play. The game is really good though if you love the occult and conspiracy theories.

Lineage 2 supposedly but I haven't played it since it was subscription based.

Not too comfortable about saying Neverwinter since you can buy a lot of help but I've never struggled in PvP or in PvE because I refuse to buy things from the cash shop besides aesthetics.

I guess LOTRO isn't pay to win either but I didn't play long enough to know. It will cost you to buy the expansions though.

Planetside 2 is more MMOFPS but it doesn't feel pay to win for me since most of my characters use standard issue equipment. But it's not really expensive to purchase things and if you play well you can get a new weapon every week or so.

STO offers plenty you can do for free but they're pretty dickish about the way they sell extra ships in the game. They can cost a lot. Like a pack of the 3 variants of a dreadnought will run you about 50 bucks.

Thats about all I can think of right now.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Lineage 2 tends to be the first one that comes to mind, or Tera. Both of those games require no money to access all of the content and be competetive.