Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only in-game complaint so far...dungeon runs part of main quest

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

It is absurd, especially if you are dps. The queue takes no short than 45 minutes on my server, and even though I unchecked "in progress" I still get stuck in a fail group where everyone is in the process of quitting and I get stuck IN the dungeon by myself or with another person or two....who eventually leave as well because no healer or tank is coming in. 

The quest says to specifically use duty finder, so I am not sure if just running the dungeon with a pug will work. Even then as dps trying to find a group manually is tough as well. 

All in all  this should be a side quest, I do not recall any MMO's where this type of thing was in the main quest. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Comments

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    You dont have to use the duty finder there are always plenty of people shouting for dungeon parties.  The quest says use the duty finder but you get credit even if you dont.
  • VenathVenath Member Posts: 5
    Same, stuck on main quest because i cant get in a party from duty list to do those dungeons, now im thinking to lvl a gladiator only to get past that stage even tough i hate tanking..
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Viper482

It is absurd, especially if you are dps. The queue takes no short than 45 minutes on my server, and even though I unchecked "in progress" I still get stuck in a fail group where everyone is in the process of quitting and I get stuck IN the dungeon by myself or with another person or two....who eventually leave as well because no healer or tank is coming in. 

The quest says to specifically use duty finder, so I am not sure if just running the dungeon with a pug will work. Even then as dps trying to find a group manually is tough as well. 

All in all  this should be a side quest, I do not recall any MMO's where this type of thing was in the main quest. 

sorry its an mmorpg, not single player game. you should be grateful, in FFXI you cannot even level without a party. it had no dungeon finder so you sat around for hours trying to look for a group if you were a DPS and then you eventually logged out because you couldnt find one.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    The amazing Trinity-centric gaming at work here. If you are a Tank or healer, you wouldn't be waiting. That is the way Trinity-based games are.

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I think it's great! The dungeons are fun and there are plenty of quests around so that you can queue up and then go solo quest till it pops. It's an MMOrpg which means that, yes, you will have to actually work with others during your time in-game.  In addition, I don't know of any MMO where the queues are instant for DPS - even in WoW on full servers I would get hour long queues for the end game dungeons...
  • DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101

It is kind of annoying to have the main storyline come to a screeching halt as you queue up for a 50min line on DPS for a dungeon.

But then, how many games do we see people whining about how there isn't any forced grouping?

It has its pros and cons.

My biggest beef with the dungeons...really only FOUR people in a dungeon party?  I thought 5 man groups were a bit meh.

I miss larger 6-8 man parties where things got a bit more interesting.  I really hope that isn't how big a raid group is in this game.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It's more of a fault with the Trinity system. Devs should try to make tanks and healers as appealing as DPS characters are, but that rarely works.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I love that you have to group for story quests. One of the things that killed lotro for me is when they made all of the epic quest solo. It took all the fun and epicness away. The big problem is only having 4 person groups. It's a terrible idea. I only play tanks and heals so for me not an issue but I see the problem for dps. I would recommend advertising in chat channel I always use chat not lfg tool. It is much faster even as dps.
  • simshadysimshady Member UncommonPosts: 13

Massively multiplayer means there are many people that play online at the same time....

It doesn't say massively multiplaytogether....

mmo's should have solo elements

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The best way I found around this is to group with a tank or healer friend then enter the duty finder. However since I don't always have someone on I can tag along with I also leveled conjurer to heal and get instant queue for duty finder. Personally I think Everquest had the right group size at six people. Five for WoW always felt like it could have benefited from six and would have made it easier for dps to find groups. Four like FF14 or SWTOR just seems too small. The reason I mention group size is because going from 6 to 4 you double the dps spots in a group, which would in theory cut the queue for dps in half.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by simshady

Massively multiplayer means there are many people that play online at the same time....

heaven forbid you have to play with someone on an mmo

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    It's more of a fault with the Trinity system. Devs should try to make tanks and healers as appealing as DPS characters are, but that rarely works.

See, now people better understand blizzard dilemma and thought process.

This tank/healer shortage is natural for a trinity, most people cannot do the job or do not want the responsibility and like to see big numbers so they dps. The only way to alleviate this is to make everything face-roll enough so that anyone can do it.

Tanking and healing are only fun when they're difficult (for those who enjoy playing tanks/healers) but it makes the dps sad when they don't have fast dungeon groups.

The moment you make tanks and healers as appealing as dps, they automatically become less fun for the people who actually enjoy those roles because there is always a compromise. Either staying alive is too easy, keeping aggro is too easy, healing is too boring and so on.

The reason you can't just "make them more appealing" is because it's not the gameplay of the roles that keeps people away, but the responsibility and the challenge of not only having to deal with the encounter, but also with dealing with the crazy dps bouncing around like lunatics.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Just form a party outside the Dungeon! Plenty of People waiting outside all the time.

I am a lancer (DPS) myself and have no trouble to quickly form a party myself.

Then when you got a 4man party you enter the instance instantly via the Duty Finder.

Problem solved!

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

That early dungeon groups are only four people doesn't help.

Instead of needing three or four DPS per healer and tank, it's two, so you need even more healers and tanks per DPS than in games with larger dungeon group sizes. Since the ratio of those who play the various roles seems to remain relatively constant, smaller group sizes tend to magnify the problem.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    moves like flash from glad can be used by other jobs. did anyone think of maybe using a lance or other job to tank. The dungeons are no the difficult at that level. just put a grp together outside duty finder and you will be fine
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by Viper482

sorry its an mmorpg, not single player game. you should be grateful, in FFXI you cannot even level without a party. it had no dungeon finder so you sat around for hours trying to look for a group if you were a DPS and then you eventually logged out because you couldnt find one.

I was LFG once as a monk for 7 hours in that game.  I don't even have 7 hours of free time in a day anymore and can't even imagine how or why I waited that long.

I believe the que times are a byproduct of the trinity and are only exacerbated by the 4 man dungeon groups.  This problem may never go away, however you may be able to mitigate it by networking with other players.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Like some posters mentioned earlier. It is pretty telling, eh?

Even with a system where anyone can roll anything on the same character and there's level syncing for dungeons there's still an issue with not enough tanks/healers.

Could it be other titles have gotten it right? Remove tanking and healing and make it all a big mess.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by voltt

heaven forbid you have to play with someone on an mmo

I think the problem of the OP is that he can't find someone to play with.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Just form a party outside the Dungeon! Plenty of People waiting outside all the time.

I am a lancer (DPS) myself and have no trouble to quickly form a party myself.

Then when you got a 4man party you enter the instance instantly via the Duty Finder.

Problem solved!

It always seems so easly on the message boards. :)

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I agree that MMOs should have "some" solo only elements, also it should have "some" group only elements.

The Storyline punishes group only players more than solo only players,  there are TONs of instanced cinematic encounters that force you to run solo compared to maybe 10  Storyline group Dungeons.

Actually Massive Mutliplayer games were created  around group content, it is only the recent casual play money grab that they are turning into the typical anti social adventurer's daycare games that flood the market.

If you want ONLY solo elements then you really should go play a single player game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well let's be honest, that's because tanks and healers are responsible for making sure the group survives/succeeds while DPS is mostly along for the ride.

Few are willing to shoulder the responsibility and inevitable blame when things go sour, usually from DPS who have no idea what's involved.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Honestly I like the fact that dungeons are part of the main quest line.  It's one of the things that attracted to me to this game.  Then again I usually play a tank or healer so getting into parties usually isn't a problem for me.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    start your own party if you get a tank/conj with 2 other dps i ussly get a pop withing 5 minutes if not faster
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

They managed to make me addicted to crafting classes due to the 40 min wait I had on my lancer. Now there is no turning back XD. Got all 8 crafting classes to lv15 now:P.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

An MMO that actually forces you to play with others, imagine that...  As a conjurer I have a queue pop instantly every time I search on the duty finder.