Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowdfunding?

In EA's last but one results they announced "just under 500k" subs. Based on other EA comments 300k+ simply came back for a month to get Makeb at the reduced price but what it does suggest is that there remains a level of interest in the game. 

So I wonder whether EA should try a "crowdfunding" approach. Offer say  a "Makeb style xpac" + 4 months subscription for $40 subject to getting 500k sign-ups. Maybe offer the deal at $50 with a $10 discount for the early sign-ups!

Excluding any cash shop revenue something like this would probably bring in about the same. (500k @ $40 vs. 500k @ $25 + under 200k @ $15 for 3 months).

It would, however, be guaranteed revenue giving the SWTOR team to plan ahead more. They might even ght even get more cash shop revenue!

Admittedly this might be to extreme for EA but who knows, they might read this and think it a good idea!

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Based on the legions of failed promises before, why would anyone give them money now?

They already had a mega large budget - the issue was never money, it was what they did with the money they had, aka poor management.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Having played for over the first 6 months after release, there is nothing they could do now that would get me to go back.

There were so many failed promises and the lack of end-game content for so long. The content they finally did put out was mediocre at best (anyone remember all the bugs the early raid content had?).

However, that's just my opinion.

--------------------------------------------
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Maybe if the expansion was worth buying .. if it's another tiny sample of an entire planet, ah .. I couldn't see it being overly popular, outside of the dedicated SWTOR fans.

If it has all new features, gameplay, space, non-combat minigames, racing, etc then that would be worth showing up for.  I don't think EA has the tools or the know-how though, since they couldn't fix the graphics engine, or even make chairs sittable.

As for the cashshop, if there is evidence that this would increase microtransaction sales, I bet EA would be all over this idea.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Karteli

Maybe if the expansion was worth buying .. if it's another tiny sample of an entire planet, ah .. I couldn't see it being overly popular, outside of the dedicated SWTOR fans.

If it has all new features, gameplay, space, non-combat minigames, racing, etc then that would be worth showing up for.  I don't think EA has the tools or the know-how though, since they couldn't fix the graphics engine, or even make chairs sittable.

As for the cashshop, if there is evidence that this would increase microtransaction sales, I bet EA would be all over this idea.

They can't make you sit in chairs?  Really?  Maybe not at launch but I'm able to sit in my chairs on my ship right now....as for the rest of the game though, I find no reason to want or need to sit in a chair.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

That's still the full price for a new game for just 4 months of playtime.

All I ever buy are permanent account wide unlocks to turn this game into a b2p version, which allows me to come and go whenever I feel like it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    NEVER. One of the best aspects to crowd source funding is kicking the publishers right out of the picture so a development team can bring you the product they envisioned without all of the BS the typical publisher wants to force down their throat and require. Why ever would I enable a publisher with EA's track record to simply take my money now and then renege on every promise and include every nasty trick from always on DRM and extra cash shops or day one downloadable content (the list goes on) anyway? CSF kicks the middle man to the curve and lets a wise investor get the actual product they want to support.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

I would crowdfund EA's burial with 1$, but thats as far as I would go.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    you have to pay for the ability to use extra skill tool bars......nuff said.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

How to help swtor.

Kickstarter project X : Help SOE to get Star Wars license back. (its a game concept ,so it could actually work,like that some PvP game idea did which gathered 1 000 000 $ or so)

i give 100$.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Here is my dream crowdsource:

A kickstarter campaign to fund Raph Koster, the lead designer on Ultima Online, to make a Star Wars themed sandbox MMORPG set in the post-Vader era (e.g. the same era as the next set of upcoming movies).  

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by PAL-18

How to help swtor.

Kickstarter project X : Help SOE to get Star Wars license back. (its a game concept ,so it could actually work,like that some PvP game idea did which gathered 1 000 000 $ or so)

i give 100$.

lol that's cute you think SOE wants Star Wars back.  I don't think you understand how much of a failure SwG was for Sony.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Lol....................... 200 Million Dollars in developement and the 300K players who are still paying to play the game weren't enough to create a decent MMO.

What make you think a couple more Millions can make this game great?

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by ste2000

Lol....................... 200 Million Dollars in developement and the 300K players who are still paying to play the game weren't enough to create a decent MMO.

What make you think a couple more Millions can make this game great?

where did you get 300k playing?  

All we know its the second largest subscription MMO out there right now.   It has more then EVE online and it saw 10% growth last quarter.