Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who reads quest text?

13»

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Of course I read all the quest text, the clue is in my forum name

I am the Lore!

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I am trying hard for the first time to read the quest text but limsa lominsa and some npcs text hurts my brain while reading them.

I hate the pirate talk with all broken words and shit.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I tend to skim the side quests, but I'll try to read all of the main story stuff. Although I will skim a couple of those too.

One thing I like is the number of dialects and vocabulary they use in this game. The dialog is definitely not plain and has some character to it.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    what "read"? don't tell me this game has no voice synchro. for their quests and cutscenes?
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    I read most of the main story stuff, I guess. Like during the whole chapter of befriending the slyphs to stop them from summoning Ramuh, I read the why and how I got there but didnt read the parts for why I was doing silly emotes to them. while befriending them.

Filler quests I barely ready, if ever.
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I skim, smirk at the puns and jokes and quest name references, and go about my business. I don't actually sit down and commit to reading in MMOs cause most the plot in MMOs is shit...Like A+ grade shit. If I want something to read I'll head on over to Guy Gavriel Kay, Steven Erikson, or Phillip Pullman. Dah? Or George R.R. Martin....BUT NOT ROBERT JORDAN! *grumble grumble*

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Unless i read it previously,i read all of it.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

I read the main questline text.  The side quests I generally just skim, although in this game I have been paying more attention to them.

I think most people play MMOs for the multiplayer cooperative/competitive gameplay rather than the storyline, so even if the storyline is fairly well done, most players don't care.

For example, right now, most people seem to be chain grinding FATEs in order to level efficiently, and are skipping most quests other than as needed to advance their class (class quests) and unlock things (storyline).  A lot of people don't like sidequests.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by nilden

I see people imply stuff like if you don't read the quest text your just a content locust and missing out on the game and other stuff. As someone who skims or straight out clicks my way past the quest text that is going to be summed up in one sentence on the quest tracker anyway, I say play the game the way you want.

So out of curiosity who reads quest text?

I read if it's interesting, and skip them if it's not interesting.

I don't read text in this game, but in other games such as SWTOR I read almost all of them.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I always read it the first time. I like knowing whats going on I the game and lots of the lore is hidden in the non main quests, in any mmo.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Pretty much all of it

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Skipped all non animations.

Good luck watching cut scenes in end game raids, ppl shout skipping all cut scenes and rush to next boss, sigh.

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75

japanese are still way behind in mmo standards..

korean games are all voiced.. even older ones.. why a triple AAA modern  title skipped out on this is beyond me... i rather the npc just keeps talking like in diablo 3 after i already walked away

this game feels dead, no chat bubbles, just a spam box, only npc get chat bubbles, no voices at all.. just really silent and stoic... they really need to make it more alive with voices

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    I read most of them, except sometimes I want to ding I just dont care anymore unless its main story quest.
  • DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

korean games are all voiced.. even older ones.. why a triple AAA modern  title skipped out on this is beyond me... i rather the npc just keeps talking like in diablo 3 after i already walked away

this game feels dead, no chat bubbles, just a spam box, only npc get chat bubbles, no voices at all.. just really silent and stoic... they really need to make it more alive with voices

Im not sure about that.  If you base the game only on voice overs maybe.  I cant recall a single Korean mmo that had even halfway decent story or voice overs.

On top of that, the game itself is so much better than even the Korean standard which I think is Aion still.  FF is a much better built game, with a better story, and a better world (though I did love a few of Aions zones...that game lacked atmosphere though)

I would say the exact opposite of your post and substitute voice over quantity with actual game mechanics and atmosphere.  To each their own I guess, some value full voice overs more than the actual game.

I don't get the "game feels dead because no player chat bubbles" thing...that one is strange...very strange.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

The quest writing in FFXIV is fantastic, I definitely read it.

I really like the fact that its not catered to people with the vocabulary of a 2nd grader.  Im also greatly amused by the Lalafell's tendency towards alliteration.  And there is also the right amount of silliness too.  The Goldsmith quest turn ins have made me laugh out loud.

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Deciman
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

Im not sure about that.  If you base the game only on voice overs maybe.  I cant recall a single Korean mmo that had even halfway decent story or voice overs.

On top of that, the game itself is so much better than even the Korean standard which I think is Aion still.  FF is a much better built game, with a better story, and a better world (though I did love a few of Aions zones...that game lacked atmosphere though)

I would say the exact opposite of your post and substitute voice over quantity with actual game mechanics and atmosphere.  To each their own I guess, some value full voice overs more than the actual game.

I don't get the "game feels dead because no player chat bubbles" thing...that one is strange...very strange.

Japanese arent into mmo's for one thing and they dont have an mmo culture like koreans, this is basically their only good mmo and they studied the crap out of wow and other mmos because the first FF14 sucked.. 

for them to go all out and fix it, they should have done what we consider a standard and put voice acting.. why is it one for the other? look at the voice acting in wildstar.. very alive characters straight out of a movie not mouth moving NPC's.. its like they could have done it and got lazy, this is a high budget game mind you and we expect it.  it so lame to have a cut scene and all you see are moving mouths and then u gotta read...

abotu the chat bubble.. its simple, in many mmo's i can walk up and natually say hi, they would look at me, not the spam box and i have to pray they read it or do some dumb whisper thing.. when fighing mobs we can say things and look at the screen and each character fighting and saying things, again not at the chat box.  if you like reading so many text bubbles why the hell are you complainging about actual human chat bubbles?