Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is PVP Space Combat Coming to SWTOR?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Tonight during the PAX Community Cantina event, the SWTOR team teased the super secret space project long in the making. We'll let you watch the video for yourself below, but it looks like PVP space combat is coming to SWTOR and soon.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Looks cool! Too bad I gave up on SWTOR a month after it released :/ The space combat was laughable and was a big part of my decision to leave the game... Perhaps they will do something fun with it and dump the old model that they were using! I mean what is the point of having a ship when you can't even do squat with it?
  • LctwoLctwo Member Posts: 55
    I dont always post, but when I do, I post on news that might make me play swtor
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Thats nice, now all they have to do is make the actual game feel like Star Wars and not the RAID boss whack a mole nonsense it is now. There is just so much about the game in its current state that is not very Star Wars ish that if someone is not currently developing another Star Wars mmo for 2017 or so, they should be. 
  • madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

SWTOR space PvP... player ships on rails who shoot at each other as they pass. So it's kinda like the mining cart sequence in Temple of Doom?

Sounds so amazing doesn't it? </sarcasm>

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

All well and good, but we need a PvE space component first.

And no, a clone of Rebel Assault doesn't count as space combat. As much as I liked RA back in the day, things have moved forward since then. If EAware needs an example, they can go play the X-Wing / TIE Fighter games, or even SWG's JTL.

I really hope TIE Fighter ends up on GOG someday...

• bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I would wish one day we had STO space combat with SWTOR ground combat.. would just be so nice.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Wow. EA actually putting money into marketing something after it has already been launched instead of letting it slowly bleed to death, who would have thought *looks around to see if pigs are flying*.

They seem to be actually trying for once and listening to what fans have been begging for since launch. Even if it ends up sucking at least EA is trying for once. I can't believe I just said something positive about EA *goes to wash mouth out with soap*.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Nice! Best game after WOW
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Awesome, They should expand this into the pve game as well.. maybe with a real expansion this time.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Thats nice, now all they have to do is make the actual game feel like Star Wars and not the RAID boss whack a mole nonsense it is now. There is just so much about the game in its current state that is not very Star Wars ish that if someone is not currently developing another Star Wars mmo for 2017 or so, they should be. 

It's people like you who convinced SOE to destroy star wars galaxies. You just need to get over the fact that no MMO will ever 'feel' like star wars, and they shouldn't even attempt it. Those 'ur da hero' illusions are best left to single player games.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    PVP in space, sounds good, i just hope its not more of the 'on rails' tunnel shooter variety as that would be a total waste of time and effort. If they can pull off something like X wing vs Tie fighter, that would be totally awesome, but somehow i don't think the hero engine is capable of that, have they been redesigning the game engine, can't see how they could pull it off otherwise?image
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Asamof

It's people like you who convinced SOE to destroy star wars galaxies. You just need to get over the fact that no MMO will ever 'feel' like star wars, and they shouldn't even attempt it. Those 'ur da hero' illusions are best left to single player games.

Exactly.

Once you start changing the gameplay drastically your left with something completely different, and those players that stuck around will soon be left disappointed, as has been proved in the past.

By all means add to the game, but please don't start trying to change it into some other MMO, that certainy does mean the end for SWTOR.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

You know when your doing flashpoints and have to take the ship transport from fleet to the other fleet ships, that little ride always felt like SWTOR could easily have twitch-based space fights.   The rail system for pve just seemed like something they threw in the game just to get the game out and not keep the game in development for more years while they  developed the space portion more.

Think about SWG, it didn't get space anything or space expansion for a year or so after it launched...so SWTOR seem to have done the same thing except they gave us a snippet of space experience right away with SWTOR, however mini-game-like it is, it was better than nothing at all...but sure SWG space was way better...but lets see what BW has in store for us.

I just hope they can make it large scale and we can choose different ships that are customizable...it just won't be any good for a star wars game to have space combat that is restricted to 4v4, 8v8 or something small scale like that....
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I really hope TIE Fighter ends up on GOG someday...

Well they have alot of votes anyway:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/star_wars_tie_fighter

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I didn't see much of anything in that video that pointed me towards thinking pvp space combat was coming..

Just looked like another typical space mission.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Do PvP players really play SWTOR? They are the least populated servers in the game.

It needs a proper space element, more like X-Wing/Tie-Fighter and less like Rebel Assault.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

Actually SOE failure with SWG came not because of players complaints but because of internal issues with changing development team.   If you think SWG shutdown because SOE listened to some players about changing SWG to be more star warsy, then you don't know what your talking about.   In fact, no game to day has felt more star warsy than SWG did LOL....

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Davynelord

Actually SOE failure with SWG came not because of players complaints but because of internal issues with changing development team.   If you think SWG shutdown because SOE listened to some players about changing SWG to be more star warsy, then you don't know what your talking about.   In fact, no game to day has felt more star warsy than SWG did LOL....

I agree that it felt more 'star warsy' than any other SW game! There were a lot of SW fanboys that were livid that they couldn't be like luke or vader, and that you had to work your way up as an average citizen. Eventually John Smedley agreed with those people that it was boring, and the disastrous NGE was conceived. 

The whole point of NGE was being more 'star warsy'. You had a new tutorial where Han was yelling at you to man the turrets, chewie giving you a high five, and Darth Vadar was personally cursing your name as you shot him down as a lvl 1 nobody. 

After alienating their old fanbase and not generating enough of a new one, they had to shut it down. Good riddance

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    So, yeah... one would think with new Star Wars movies being worked on, that trying to salvage this game with something interesting would be a good idea.  Or as the person above mentioned, get a new Star Wars MMO in the works that actually feels like Star Wars.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by madmikethegm

SWTOR space PvP... player ships on rails who shoot at each other as they pass. So it's kinda like the mining cart sequence in Temple of Doom?

Sounds so amazing doesn't it? </sarcasm>

LOL!

If that is what their space pvp is, I'm gonna laugh...  :) I hope not, because that will fail!

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Don't see anything there hinting at PvP Space Combat.
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Looks like it is still on rails to me.....another feeble attempt.
  • RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I don't see how that indicates PVP in space, it sounds way more like group raids in space.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Ppl sayin this looks like it's still on rails must not have watched the video.. they clearly are making it more like battlefront space combat. Watch how the ship's turn...

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111
    do a barrel roll!