Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finally tried GW2

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member Posts: 506 Uncommon

I'm not much of a forum guy hence my 1 post and new account , I never liked forums wriitngs only reading  but in this case I felt I had to make an account.

I got the free weekend  "demo" and played GW2, for me It was really a fresh air, I had a blast, no ! or ? just play around and explore I loved it, not that fond of the personal story though kinda bad voice acting but I really love the game itself, and no trinity man what a great thing to put into a game, sure I guess there are some form of trinity but in GW2 it's not set in stone.

And the best part is (yes I bought it ) That you get so MUCH for free, Im used to pay a month sub ( yes playing WOW) but this game as i read it pump things out free, thats great.

I'm not an endgame kinda guy, never really liked the concept of max level is were the real game start, most dumb thing ever created, maby thats why I enjoy this game so much, I can play and have fun, no rush, no need of X or Y item just play as intended.

And no, I'm not intressed in come back in 1 month discussion, I'm having fun now what of it if I'm not liking it in 1 month hell I might love it for a year I dont know.

 

 

 

 

 

«1

Comments

  • Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTMember Posts: 1,170 Uncommon

    Head over to Queensdale.

    Join the Champ Zerg and go round and round killing Boar, Troll, Bandit, Oak, Maybe SB, Spider, maybe Wasp. then take 1 minute sell your junk and do it again. And again. And again.

    This will yield the BEST PVE leveling rewards. Thanks to the "scaling" feature, you can do it till you are 80.

     

    Don't look for this action to be as good in the other zones though, until maybe Orr.

     

    have fun.

  • ESSKAESSKA jacksonvill, FLMember Posts: 101 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Head over to Queensdale. Join the Champ Zerg and go round and round killing Boar, Troll, Bandit, Oak, Maybe SB, Spider, maybe Wasp. then take 1 minute sell your junk and do it again. And again. And again. This will yield the BEST PVE leveling rewards. Thanks to the "scaling" feature, you can do it till you are 80.   Don't look for this action to be as good in the other zones though, until maybe Orr.   have fun.

    If all the OP is interested in is chasing gold then sure but the champ rewards aren't going anywhere. My advice would be to enjoy the rest of the game and make some friends before you decide to throw yourself onto the zerg train; Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

  • page975page975 Scranton, PAMember Posts: 312

    I've done some biching here about GW2, BUT I have to say that you will have some fun with it for several months.

    Its REALLY a well built game, just not an mmo for community building....So have some fun :)

  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member Posts: 506 Uncommon
    I rarely listen to "those" people who says you have to have this build or you have to do this or do that, I play GW2 the way I enjoy it and I also tried to turn of everything from the map so I have to find the hearts,POIs and Vista by exploring, that was really fun you see the game in a whole different perspective that way, hard as hell but I do enjoy exploring the gameworld and I'm in no rush to hit lvl 80.
  • CurraCurra BrisbaneMember Posts: 32 Common

    One thing that boggles my mind is people who use big red letters in
    their posts!

  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainMember Posts: 1,673 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I rarely listen to "those" people who says you have to have this build or you have to do this or do that, I play GW2 the way I enjoy it and I also tried to turn of everything from the map so I have to find the hearts,POIs and Vista by exploring, that was really fun you see the game in a whole different perspective that way, hard as hell but I do enjoy exploring the gameworld and I'm in no rush to hit lvl 80.

    You're going to have a great time, you're already showing a healthier mindset than all of the forum cynics around here. What region/server are you playing, NA or EU?

  • rastapastorrastapastor KnurMember Posts: 166 Uncommon
    Originally posted by curra
    One thing that boggles my mind is people who use big red letters in
    their posts!

    I use them to strengthen the message of my post. Sometimes if You don't use big red letters some people just ignore it.

  • VorchVorch Somewhere, FLMember Posts: 800 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I'm not much of a forum guy hence my 1 post and new account , I never liked forums wriitngs only reading  but in this case I felt I had to make an account. I got the free weekend  "demo" and played GW2, for me It was really a fresh air, I had a blast, no ! or ? just play around and explore I loved it, not that fond of the personal story though kinda bad voice acting but I really love the game itself, and no trinity man what a great thing to put into a game, sure I guess there are some form of trinity but in GW2 it's not set in stone. And the best part is (yes I bought it ) That you get so MUCH for free, Im used to pay a month sub ( yes playing WOW) but this game as i read it pump things out free, thats great. I'm not an endgame kinda guy, never really liked the concept of max level is were the real game start, most dumb thing ever created, maby thats why I enjoy this game so much, I can play and have fun, no rush, no need of X or Y item just play as intended. And no, I'm not intressed in come back in 1 month discussion, I'm having fun now what of it if I'm not liking it in 1 month hell I might love it for a year I dont know.          

    Welcome to the family! Make sure you find yourself a guild that at least does guild missions and dungeons. It's always good to have others to play with :)

     

    Some tips

    Dungeon Finder: www.gw2lfg.com

    Event finder: www.gw2stuff.com

    In-game command to search for TOPIC: /wiki TOPIC

     

    Every 2nd tuesday you should be getting an update, so feel free to relax and have some fun :)

    "As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member Posts: 2,184 Uncommon

    If you are looking for a good pve game....GW2 is a good candidate. The crafting is painful and the WvW is more like a zerg basketball game than true warfare.

    So for me....a bitter disappointment.

    OP...I'm glad you are having fun.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJMember Posts: 1,102 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    If you are looking for a good pve game....GW2 is a good candidate. The crafting is painful and the WvW is more like a zerg basketball game than true warfare. So for me....a bitter disappointment. OP...I'm glad you are having fun.

    There are several guides on how to do crafting to lessen the pain, but even then it is far less painful than the crafting of most other MMOs.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • djazzydjazzy louisville, COMember Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by rastapastor
    Originally posted by curra
    One thing that boggles my mind is people who use big red letters in
    their posts!

    I use them to strengthen the message of my post. Sometimes if You don't use big red letters some people just ignore it.

    Or people will just skip posts who try to get attention this way. I will ignore posts that use all capital letters, multiple ? or  ! in their statements, or use large font and different colors in their post.

  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member Posts: 506 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I rarely listen to "those" people who says you have to have this build or you have to do this or do that, I play GW2 the way I enjoy it and I also tried to turn of everything from the map so I have to find the hearts,POIs and Vista by exploring, that was really fun you see the game in a whole different perspective that way, hard as hell but I do enjoy exploring the gameworld and I'm in no rush to hit lvl 80.

    You're going to have a great time, you're already showing a healthier mindset than all of the forum cynics around here. What region/server are you playing, NA or EU?

     

    EU and I picked Far Shiverpeak server.

  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember Posts: 5,744 Epic

    Welcome to the jungle,

    we've got fun and games!

     

    And apparently, you were able to get rid of the "WoW mentality" despite being a WoW player (the "?" and "!" part, and no end game grind). This is almost required to enjoy GW2. If one tries to play it like a WoW clone, he will most likely not enjoy himself.

     

    Send me a private message here if you want an in game contact, I'm on EU too (Gandara).

    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.


    CPU: Core I7 6700k (4.4ghz) - GPU: ASUS R9 290x-DC2 OC 4Gb DDR5 (1150 mhz core) - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston SV300 480gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainMember Posts: 1,673 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maurgrim  EU and I picked Far Shiverpeak server.

    Ah, too bad. Guess I'll have to stomp you on the battlefield then :)

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTMember Posts: 4,837 Uncommon

    Welcome OP!! To the forum, and to GW2. 

    It's nice to see a new impression of GW2 that isn't taking it apart. This game has everything from casual to elite play, stories, battles, but most of all, adventure and exploring. My suggestion is don't get caught up in following the heart quests. Roam free and have fun with it. Get to Lions Arch and you can travel into any of the other races starting areas. Hop around from WvWvW, personal story, sPvP, PvE, crafting, and whatever floats your boat at the time!

     

     

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember Posts: 7,659 Epic

    My initial impressions of GW2 weren't that great. But for whatever reason, I gave it a 2nd shot. I'm really glad I did. I had a lot more fun and got a lot of enjoyment out of GW2 the 2nd time around. I got involved with an active guild and really ran a lot of content together with them. To me, I loved playing with class and character builds. I've leveled a Guardian, a Necro, an Engi, a Thief, and a Mesmer. I have enjoyed the PVE aspect of the game as well as WVW. However, I did not like the SPVP at all. Not that it was bad in itself. But the fact that it is entirely disconnected from the PVE and WVW parts of the game and any and all progression is independent really makes it feel like a separate game altogether. Currently I have put down GW2 and I am enjoying FF14, but I still intend to return at some point and level my Ele. I started that class and in a way, almost wish I'd gone with one earlier. But after getting 5 to 80, I really needed a break.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTMember Posts: 4,837 Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    My initial impressions of GW2 weren't that great. But for whatever reason, I gave it a 2nd shot. I'm really glad I did. I had a lot more fun and got a lot of enjoyment out of GW2 the 2nd time around. I got involved with an active guild and really ran a lot of content together with them. To me, I loved playing with class and character builds. I've leveled a Guardian, a Necro, an Engi, a Thief, and a Mesmer. I have enjoyed the PVE aspect of the game as well as WVW. However, I did not like the SPVP at all. Not that it was bad in itself. But the fact that it is entirely disconnected from the PVE and WVW parts of the game and any and all progression is independent really makes it feel like a separate game altogether. Currently I have put down GW2 and I am enjoying FF14, but I still intend to return at some point and level my Ele. I started that class and in a way, almost wish I'd gone with one earlier. But after getting 5 to 80, I really needed a break.

    Once the dust settles, I too am going to try ARR. I am ambidextrous enough to play both! :)

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember Posts: 1,377 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I rarely listen to "those" people who says you have to have this build or you have to do this or do that, I play GW2 the way I enjoy it and I also tried to turn of everything from the map so I have to find the hearts,POIs and Vista by exploring, that was really fun you see the game in a whole different perspective that way, hard as hell but I do enjoy exploring the gameworld and I'm in no rush to hit lvl 80.

    You're going to have a great time, you're already showing a healthier mindset than all of the forum cynics around here. What region/server are you playing, NA or EU?

    If your playing the game with this mindset then your going to have a blast.  I'm 100% with you on this way of playing this game. Its amazing how most of the people here just don't get this. And people that post what's the best build questions really are lazy gamer's that can't think for themselves.

  • Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Death Valley, NCMember Posts: 52
    Welcome to the group, don't listen to the people that have no idea what they are talking about and haven't touched a decent game like Guild Wars 2. The amount of content that they pump it out and the amount of time it takes for them to throw out each piece of content is insane. Definitely the most I have gotten out of a game for the money that I have put into it.
  • aLlamaaLlama Raleigh, NCMember Posts: 5

    The personal story isn't great. I think they could improve it by removing every line of dialog that your character speaks, and replacing them with a nod and a grunt. Your character is a very one dimensional dogooder hero type who is always stating the obvious or providing exposition. I thought that personal story would be an opportunity to make your character more unique so I was a little disappointed.

    Otherwise, amazing game. I'm playing it right now alongside FFXIV:AAR. 

  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Houston, TXMember Posts: 198
    Its a good single player game that lets you play along side other people.   I don't consider this game to be an MMO.
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Nada, FLMember Posts: 576
    Originally posted by aLlama
    The personal story isn't great. I think they could improve it by removing every line of dialog that your character speaks, and replacing them with a nod and a grunt. Your character is a very one dimensional dogooder hero type who is always stating the obvious or providing exposition. I thought that personal story would be an opportunity to make your character more unique so I was a little disappointed. Otherwise, amazing game. I'm playing it right now alongside FFXIV:AAR. 

    +1

    This, I rarely find an MMO that had me hate my character as much as GW2 managed to accomplish, I understand what they were going for, and the voice acting isn't even that bad...most of the time for most of the races...but dear GOD I wanted to throttle my own characters neck as a human and a norn.

     

    I hope this doesn't get taken as a condemnation of the entire game its just this one aspect of the game was so annoying to me. Maybe some people like it, maybe most people like it, I loathed it.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTMember Posts: 4,837 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Its a good single player game that lets you play along side other people.   I don't consider this game to be an MMO.

    You do know what an mmo is right? You just defined a portion of it in your first sentence, and then expunged it in the second.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member Posts: 506 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Its a good single player game that lets you play along side other people.   I don't consider this game to be an MMO.

     

    Kinda funny what you wrote there, you sead you can play single with other players and yet you write GW2 is not a MMO?

    Umm I dont get it.

    And no, raids dont spell MMO.

  • askdabossaskdaboss LondonMember Posts: 631 Uncommon
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by aLlama
    The personal story isn't great. I think they could improve it by removing every line of dialog that your character speaks, and replacing them with a nod and a grunt. Your character is a very one dimensional dogooder hero type who is always stating the obvious or providing exposition. I thought that personal story would be an opportunity to make your character more unique so I was a little disappointed. Otherwise, amazing game. I'm playing it right now alongside FFXIV:AAR. 

    +1

    This, I rarely find an MMO that had me hate my character as much as GW2 managed to accomplish, I understand what they were going for, and the voice acting isn't even that bad...most of the time for most of the races...but dear GOD I wanted to throttle my own characters neck as a human and a norn.

    I played a Norn who had "passed out after drinking too much". I thought it was funny and I could absolutely relate to my character :)

    Other cool things in term of story are: Azura dialogues in general, Charr called Tybalt (order of Whispers), playing an "aggressive" character (the "Fist" in dialogue options from time to time, always funny), the corrupted quaggans and berzerk quaggans, etc... There are a few good moments here and there in the personal story, so it works all in all for me and it doesn't take that long to complete it.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.