Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an MMO that is serious

2»

Comments

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    It's really sad that anytime someone asks for a game other than the current themepark crap, the only thing we can point to is EVE.  EVE is great if the style and theme appeal to you.  For many, it does not.  We need more viable themepark alternatives and fast.

I would love to see the folks at CCP bring their style of Sandbox player centric gaming to an IP like Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time. Both of those IP with the EVE style would be awesome.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Comaf

Secret World goes from a PvP E-Sport back to a pve grinder where all three factions CAN GROUP.  So it's like, hey, I just killed you, wanna go run a mission?

Nothing serious here at all.

Very dishonest, or clearly misinformed answer.

The PvP in TSW is based around "The Secret War", which is supported quite well by lore within the game.

Just read up on "The Council of Venice", as it explains a bit of why the combat is setup as it is and why you don't see the factions "fighting it out in the streets".

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Council_of_Venice

There are even missions in the game wherein the storylines of each Faction overlap, giving you an idea of things that are happening behind the scenes. One of the earliest is the "Into Darkness" mission. Depending on which faction you do it as, your experience is a bit different, and you see (or cause) the effects of how the other two will experience it.

So, yes... it is taken quite serious, and is woven seamlessly into the setting.

• kolargolkolargol Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by Mopar63

I have to tell you of late I find that MMOs are becoming, in general, more and more fluffy bunny in their style.  They seem to cater for the general feel good items and seldom if ever seem to take themselves seriously.

I am looking for a lore rich MMO that I serious about it's game world. One where you do not see disco pants and dancing pig companions. One that is lore strong and keeps any extra material lore strong as well.

Does such an MMO exist?

You only found that of late?

The western world left serious and mature entertainment/content sometimes during the 70's

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Mopar63

I have to tell you of late I find that MMOs are becoming, in general, more and more fluffy bunny in their style.  They seem to cater for the general feel good items and seldom if ever seem to take themselves seriously.

I am looking for a lore rich MMO that I serious about it's game world. One where you do not see disco pants and dancing pig companions. One that is lore strong and keeps any extra material lore strong as well.

Does such an MMO exist?

Diablo

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

There are a ton of games if you look for them.  Every games seems to have some sort of silliness often around holiday events, but most of these are very light on those fantasy elements that offend your sensitivities:

Age of Conan

EVE

Lord of the Rings Online:  There are some silly and outlandish elements in the game but they are mostly seasonal / event related

Ryzom

Darkfall

The Secret World:  There are some non-serious elements in cosmetic attire, but nothing that isn't lore appropriate for modern earth

Star Trek Online: Again there are some outlandish elements in the game, but nothing really inappropriate for the IP

There are a ton more if you just take the time to look for them.  Almost every game has some sort of silly, outlandish, or comical element because that is part of reality too.

Secret World goes from a PvP E-Sport back to a pve grinder where all three factions CAN GROUP.  So it's like, hey, I just killed you, wanna go run a mission?

Nothing serious here at all.

Note:  I've seen people put in some attempts at pointing out something serious in the industry, but all I see are very lackluster F2P games.  I'd personally suggest Dark Age of Camelot, but they are so aged at this point that I'm not sure if the only quality PvP game in the history of mmorpgs can be taken seriously anymore either.  Plus, the handful of folks keeping the server on don't sem to care about the bot groups farming dragons and parts of Epic raid dungeons, or Tault Unleashed radar hacks, etc.

I hate to say it, if you want a game that takes itself seriously you might just want to play chess or at least wait until ESO or Camelot Unchaned releases in the far future.

Well, taking anything about this seriously is laughable.  It's a simulated game world where we pretend to be something we're not with absolutely no consequence at all.

I'm not sure what you're on about with moving between pvp and pve and then bringing up DAoC with its contrived 3 faction themepark pvp.  The game doesn't have out of place lore elements per the OP.  Did you even read the OP?  He doesn't want to see bunny backpacks, anything anime, or anything outlandish in the game world.  He didn't mention anything about combat or game systems requirements.

I have to agree with you on this one. Of all the games I have played in the years of mmorpgs, this is probably the most "real life" scenario out there. (TSW that is)  No elves, trolls, or cute little goblins to play. It is about as serious as they come. And yes, there are zombies, but like you said it is all about pretending!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SagonatorSagonator Member UncommonPosts: 12

Looking for old school? Well I have a suggestion :P Atlantica online(http://atlantica.nexon.net/)

Great game :O

The world of Atlantica Online features real world locations mixed with mythological and fantasy elements :)

After beginning the game you huys can recruit mercenaries to join in your  travels.

It has original battle system :)  That means the game's battle system is unusual for its genre in that it uses a turn-based system.

What's more it has other battle system inside the game. The Tactical battle system (TBS) is a separate, additional combat system that differs in many respects from the original system. Its mostly made for missions, raiding where you can move freely and feel other dimension of gameplay.

The pvp... its mostly why ppl consider the game pay 2 win. PvP is a huge part of the game and most fun for me :P Gear matters for low skilled players but for old ones with huge skill... they can win just with +0-1s items if its latest tier ofc.

Raiding is group thing untill you gear yourself up to solo it. Actually you can solo only 110/135 lvl raid others is duo/trio more.

Crafting system is something really fun. Nowadays not many ppl craft as much but still its superb feeling to craft an item with 4-5 enchants on it.

A noteworthy feature distinguishing Atlantica Online from other MMORPGs is the players' ability to gamble the loot obtained in battles with mobs. Practicly, you convert all ur loot into 1 you would want(for ex: craft material for your armors :P)

Housing, Town controls, guild dungeons, nation dungeon a great game with tons of features.

Since nexon manages the game... it can be annoying sometimes but that never stopped me from having fun there. If you want old school mmo where you have to earn every single of ur lvl...actually put an efford to achieve something, AO is a game for you.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    as much as seriousness of the lore, story etc goes, i second the secret world recommendation
  • Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

EVE Online, it has a high drop rate of players though. Not for everyone.

Age of Conan. It's free to play now and the Conan universe isn't exactly known for being filled with fluffy adorable bunnies and other kid friendly things like that. The game does hold true to that. You're still probably going to have to shell out some cash to get all of the content though, the expansion for sure, last I checked.

The Secret World is great if you're into the occult  and conspiracy theories. The episodic expansions are priced pretty reasonably and really totally optional. The initial purchase of the game comes with so much content that it'll give you an idea as to whether or not it's worth it to pick them up. Out of the three factions, the Templar and Dragon seem to be more up your alley with seriousness. Personally I play the Illuminati because in this grim dark world they are the most casual and relaxed about all the hell that is going on around them. Plus they have the best sense of humor in my opinion.

Lord of The Rings Online if you liked LOTRO but I couldn't get into it. The game that is, I loved the books.

The Elder Scrolls Online in the future, it looks like it's going to be a serious MMO and it looks pretty solid all around as a game. Unfortunately for me, I would rather they give me multiplayer for Skyrim than an MMO but that doesn't look like it'll happen any time soon.

Kingdom Under Fire 2 was just confirmed to be getting released in NA in 2014 so if you like Action RTS games this ones for you. I'm hoping this game will be different from most Korean games and let us actually make our own characters instead of having to pick one like so many other games.

Fallen Earth is another pretty serious MMO. It can be a bit clunky at times though. Luckily it's free to play if you would like to try it out and if you want to improve your progression in the game you could always just subscribe.

Another one I'm really excited for in the future is Eternal Crusade which is a Warhammer 40k title, and the 40k universe does not mess around. Everything is grim dark, ridiculous and awesome. Unfortunately there is no release date but the concept gets me excited alone. Basically they described it as if WH40k, EVE, and Planetside 2 had a baby. That sounds amazing to me.

I can't think of anymore games to fit what you're looking for but I would love to add more games to this list since it's the kind I love. Then again I am totally making an Exception for Wild Star because it's supposedly going to be probably more Sandbox than Theme Park and it gives off a very good Ratchet and Clank vibe so I can't help myself.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager