Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst launch ever.

Comments

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Ikeda

So, then lose interest... seriously.  You can't just poop out servers.. they have to be built setup etc.  They STATED the fix was on Mon/Tues.  If you can't wait that long.. move on out.

I swear...

And you can say good riddance all you want does not change the fact that people ARE losing interest.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Serenes

So, then lose interest... seriously.  You can't just poop out servers.. they have to be built setup etc.  They STATED the fix was on Mon/Tues.  If you can't wait that long.. move on out.

I swear...

And you can say good riddance all you want does not change the fact that people ARE losing interest.

BioWare was deploying them on the fly for a good week after SWTOR's launch...as they filled, more poped up in real time...their twitter feed had new server announcmenets like every hour the first few days....

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by doodphace

I purchased the game around 530PM EST on launch day...since that time I have not been able to create a charecter on any NA server....lets repeat that.....i have not been able to create a toon on any NA server....not because i dont want to roll on a low pop server...oh no.......but because every single NA server has been locked from creating toons on it since mid lauch day.......

Lets pretend im the only one (though im clearly not), name me an MMO launch that prevented someone from creating a toon on any server of their region  for an entire week after it launched?

EDIT: So i just tried to login and see if at least the NA/EU server farm is back up (has been down for me since last night), and guess what? The f**kin lobby server is down.....holy awsomesauce launch batman lol

I'm GENUINELY sorry you're having a problem.  But it's mostly you.  I started the week on Riddill.  Created a new toon on Siren.  Logged a couple of days no issues.  YESTERDAY I deleted Siren and bumped over to Ult-(I don't remember... Ult-something) and created ANOTHER new toon.  I've also been bouncing with pretty good regularity (up until today) between my PC and my PS3.  I posted screens the other day of ZERO wait on Siren when people were crying that every server was full.

Again, not saying it ISN'T a problem, I'm saying it's not nearly so widespread.

• psychosiszzpsychosiszz Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Well I bought this game 3 years ago just to see how bad it was for £3 on amazon including delivery lol! So I thought I would give it a go now that it has been re-released. Can't join a single server lol, not even with my crappy legacy character. All full, wow just wow. I feel bad for the people who spent £30-40 for this game and being unable to play.

I purchased the game around 530PM EST on launch day...since that time I have not been able to create a charecter on any NA server....lets repeat that.....i have not been able to create a toon on any NA server....not because i dont want to roll on a low pop server...oh no.......but because every single NA server has been locked from creating toons on it since mid lauch day.......

Lets pretend im the only one (though im clearly not), name me an MMO launch that prevented someone from creating a toon on any server of their region  for an entire week after it launched?

EDIT: So i just tried to login and see if at least the NA/EU server farm is back up (has been down for me since last night), and guess what? The f**kin lobby server is down.....holy awsomesauce launch batman lol

I'm GENUINELY sorry you're having a problem.  But it's mostly you.  I started the week on Riddill.  Created a new toon on Siren.  Logged a couple of days no issues.  YESTERDAY I deleted Siren and bumped over to Ult-(I don't remember... Ult-something) and created ANOTHER new toon.  I've also been bouncing with pretty good regularity (up until today) between my PC and my PS3.  I posted screens the other day of ZERO wait on Siren when people were crying that every server was full.

Im not tlaking about logigng in...im talking about the servers being locked to new players....id gladly take a video of every server with the locked description, but as shown in my previous screenshot, the NA/EU server farm has been unavaiable since yesterday for a lot of ppl....

I highly doubt im a unique little snowflake..

Im not tlaking about logigng in...im talking about the servers being locked to new players....id gladly take a video of every server with the locked description, but as shown in my previous screenshot, the NA/EU server farm has been unavaiable since yesterday for a lot of ppl....

Please re-read that.  I've recreated toons on MULTIPLE worlds.. just cause for now.. I'm just wandering around.  Most of the people I want to play with are on Cactuar and Behemoth.  Both of them have been locked... well basically since the get go.  Now, however, (like today) they went ahead and locked all servers AFAIK.  So if you aren't in, you aren't in.

What's stopping you from playing on a JPN server?  The translator works great and most people I saw there spoke fairly decent English....

Please re-read that.  I've recreated toons on MULTIPLE worlds.. just cause for now.. I'm just wandering around.  Most of the people I want to play with are on Cactuar and Behemoth.  Both of them have been locked... well basically since the get go.  Now, however, (like today) they went ahead and locked all servers AFAIK.  So if you aren't in, you aren't in.

What's stopping you from playing on a JPN server?  The translator works great and most people I saw there spoke fairly decent English....

What about people who had plans to play with friends who already made toons on the locked server? I guess they are just out of luck.

What about people who had plans to play with friends who already made toons on the locked server? I guess they are just out of luck.

Your kidding right?  Because THAT would be a problem that's been with EVERY MMO since the dawn of MMO's.  Servers get packed, they get locked.  Start on a different server, and then press for SE to move you when the server congestion is fixed.  Otherwise, you'll have to suck it up and wait for the server fixes to hit.  

YOU are the one who wants to be on a specific server... that isn't SE's fault.

What does your account have that makes you not get restricted by the announced server locks?

And did you really just ask me why im not just rolling on a JP server? Really??? I guess im one of those weirdos who likes form guilds and build relationships with folks from my region and relative timezone.....ya f me right?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

While many a server has bit the bullet due to load, very few have locked a significant amount of players out for over a week

I'd like you to stop talking about this game until you can qualify this statement.  I and many other are not having ANY issues getting into the game.  There are level 40-50's running around in game.  Obvious THEY aren't locked out.  Servers are FULL so all those people (I believe Yoshi said 5,000 per server) are playing.

This "significant" amount... yea.. I'm tired of people throwing around these shady "facts"... yes, people are having issues.  OMG it took me 2 times to get into a queue.  

Why would they be continually addressing this issue as a serious blunder on their part if it wasn't happening? Significant amount means it requires actions, actions they're taking mind you, which means it's required... Stop basing the seriousness of this issue on one server.

You also know the trick a lot those people have been using right? They log in during the wee hours of the morning to AFK all day until they get home.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by Farstryder
    Originally posted by vidiotking

I don't know how many mmo launches you have participated in. But this is NOT the worst launch ever. I know this because I have been involved in launches that were worse.

Shadowbane launch was worse. EQ2 was worse. WAR was worse or maybe about the same. AOC was worse, once you left the starter area. If I were to give it some more thought, I might be able to come up w/ a couple more.

You clearly didn't play eq2 at launch, or War, or Aoc. None of those were worse than not being able to log in unless you click start for two hours  from early access to now. What a ridiculously erroneous post.

I was there.... each one of those on day one. Maybe I'm not remembering them as well as I should. But I was there.

I am bummed I can't play... where the hell are the servers?

This will always be a argument, people who feel cheated will feel cheated.

Square Enix's White Knights will always find a reason why we are being unreasonable, "Its just open beta.", "Its just early access.", and "Its only launch day, what MMO do you know that launched well?".

It is moot to fight about it, because no one will win people will have there own opinions, and I guess the winner is who was right 3 months from now if the game is booming or dying.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Papajack
    Originally posted by Papajack

I don't know how many mmo launches you have participated in. But this is NOT the worst launch ever. I know this because I have been involved in launches that were worse.

Shadowbane launch was worse. EQ2 was worse. WAR was worse or maybe about the same. AOC was worse, once you left the starter area. If I were to give it some more thought, I might be able to come up w/ a couple more.

I have to agree with the OP - I've been in many a launch but to purchase a game and not even be able to queue for the game or even create a character is uncalled for. Launch day is one of THE most important days for an MMO - for many people it defines how the game will be run and is the FIRST impression.

In the case of FF - they're introducing a new version of a failed 1st version...which makes it even MORE important that everything run smoothly. SE should have "over-prepared" for the launch instead of playing it conservative and pissing off existing customers as well as potential ones.

Yeap.. Everything you say is true. My only point is I don't think it's THE worst ever.

For me it is - I've had trouble logging in..crashes...bugs...etc... but I've NEVER not been able to even create a character - this is a 1st for me.

Yeah, I've been in a number of poor launches where there was server lag or crashes, quests were bugged... or like in WoW with their looting bug.

This is the first and only MMO I've attempted to play at launch (and I've played many) where I've been unable to log in for days. Yes, literally days. This is almost a solid week of me not being able to log in, unless it's early in the morning before heading out to work, in which case I don't have time to play anyway.

I don't stay AFK because, frankly, I'm not a self-centered douchebag. But that's another discussion.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

Anarchy online had the worst launch I have seen. WoW's launch wasnt great but I would say that is due to it being the 1st mmo to have the kind of numbers it had.  I can understand Blizzard looking at the current market and not overshooting server costs.  This is 2013 tho and this kind of shit simply shouldnt happen. 

Its one thing to have server problems, but its an entirely different story to not have the servers at all.  I am also tired of hearing the argument " this is a different engine and new servers than the original".  Who cares if its a different engine, if you really think about it that makes this the 3rd MMO SQEENIX has launched.  Even with a different game engine, no one is blowing up the forum about in game bugs due to the engine.

Secondly, I can guarantee you that they just didnt go, oh well since 1.0 failed lets sell our entire server infrastructure then buy an entirely new server infrastructure when we relaunch. If so that would be the biggest waste of money that I have ever seen.  If they are outsourcing the IT, then boy do they need to drop the axe on that company...

Server failures do occur. In this case it isnt server failures is lack of foresight. When you lack the quantity of resources necessary for people to enjoy your product, at least give them a line to stand in and wait. This alone shows the lack of thought that went into the execution of this launch.

How many consumers will we have at launch?  Id guess 250,000. So how about we overshoot that by 100,000 so we have redundancy.  How about we put in place a log in queue just in case we end up with more consumers than expected.  Oh and yea, lets make sure people cant afk for 10 hours at a time...

Holy fuck, horrible launch averted....

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    I see plenty of people dont bother reading the game news. They are adding more servers to handle  the extra number of players. And not only that, but its not like your paying for these days, not including the fact they will add extra time for everyone. If you can't wait, then too bad. Just stop posting about the same thing over and over.

Oh just stop it already....STOP. We paid for the damn game dude, we are customers. I am so tired of people like you telling me how to feel when I pay for something and receive crap service. I pray people like you get crappy service EVERYWHERE you go for the next month. I can give you a "too bad" too. Defending people with money screwing over the average gamer. Will they fix it? Yes. Do we have a right to bitch and moan and cry? Damn right we do. Don't like it? Too bad.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48
    If people were losing interest in droves as stated, maybe i'd be able to log in. But I can't, so I guess that isn't true yet.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

So because you, which is singular by the way because there is only one of you,  are not having a problem....it is not a widespread problem? Seriously dude? You really want to go with this? Anecdotal evidence ftL.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    As soon as labor day week end is over and your all back to work there will be space on server we promise (square -enix)
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Your kidding right?  Because THAT would be a problem that's been with EVERY MMO since the dawn of MMO's.  Servers get packed, they get locked.  Start on a different server, and then press for SE to move you when the server congestion is fixed.  Otherwise, you'll have to suck it up and wait for the server fixes to hit.  

YOU are the one who wants to be on a specific server... that isn't SE's fault.

Ikeda...  You are either hacking or  lying or do not work and so login at bizarre times that no ones else does.  Nothing else explains your ability to login when no one else can.

Edit:  Or (the most likely) you are a SE apologist who loves them despite your inability to login now.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Ppl cannot even queue. The servers simply BLOCK anyone from logging in. All servers are full. No one can bloody play a proper game except for the original 5000 afkers on the server.
  • HjorulvHjorulv Member UncommonPosts: 17

As far as all the dozen, or so, MMOs I have played at launch, I'd have to agree entirely.  Can't play the game on my initial toon and if I can play it at all it's on the JP worlds, which definitely won't have any transfer ability in the future.  There is just no excuse at all for the server problems other than sheer incompetence at this point.  And to further say every day or so that some issue has been resolved to have it appear hours later is either severely delusional or just plain blatant lying.

The main defense I've seen for all their server problems is that they got a lot more players than they expected.  Maybe so, but as a reason for the utter server failures at launch, it's a reason full of holes big enough to drive a truck through.  First off, they had issues during beta with servers.  Next they knew that most, if not all, of the people in the beta were going to be playing the game.  If they weren't interested in playing it, then why do the beta.  SE had a number of people on during beta.  SE also knew pre-order numbers so they had more than a clue that they needed more server ability before they even got to the pre-play time.  Did they do anything about the servers?  No.  "Why not?" is a very good question.  Frankly it shows little regard for their customers. 

That said, so they got a lot more people playing than expected.  That means they made a lot more money at launch than they expected as well, right?  So, if SE really cared about it's customers, they'd suck it up and pay out some holiday labor and some extra money on servers and get the problem fixed now, not in a week, or so. 

Frankly, how do you trust a company when they even say they plan to upgrade the servers?  All they have been spouting are things they know to be untrue on everything else.  They've got everybody's money now.  If a bunch of people disappear because they can't get in the game to play, what do they lose?  If enough fall by the wayside, they don't even need to bother with server upgrades.  Does SE lose reputation?  Maybe, but does that matter to companies nowadays?  The first FFXIV was a disaster but obviously people came back.  For companies it's money first and customers have fallen so far down the list you'd need a telescope to see the top.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

OP This stuff makes me laugh suffice to say you are not a veteran gamer and did not sample the delights of Dark and Light the only way to get that to work as it was a disguised beta was to wait for a hack from the IRC community.

Which could take weeks and hope and prey that another botched patch did not crash the entire server if a certain spell was cast and as there was one server that got kind of old quick !!

So no this is not the worst launch as the beta was smooth and polished and not some pre pre pre alpha stealing your money and your sanity with it. image

p>
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I look at it this way..

I never played a MMORPG that was able to cater to PC gamers and PS3 gamers on the same game server. The cross platform is pretty amazing so I will give them a break.

• blkwltz19blkwltz19 Member UncommonPosts: 18

I say, a round of applause to SE! AS others have stated, they were expecting a "smaller" launch audience -with how 1.0 ended up- and they prepared accordingly. And then a massive sea of people, more than they ever had anticipated, log in, yes there will be some issues. I can usually get logged in with about 2-5min of trying, which is hardly an issue to cry and flame about!

The fact they are overloaded with players shows how successful they are/were. 

And to the OP: A week and not being able to log in? Are you even trying? I'm curious if you try to log in like once or twice then call it a day.....

Originally posted by blkwltz19

I say, a round of applause to SE! AS others have stated, they were expecting a "smaller" launch audience -with how 1.0 ended up- and they prepared accordingly. And then a massive sea of people, more than they ever had anticipated, log in, yes there will be some issues. I can usually get logged in with about 2-5min of trying, which is hardly an issue to cry and flame about! The fact they are overloaded with players shows how successful they are/were.  And to the OP: A week and not being able to log in? Are you even trying? I'm curious if you try to log in like once or twice then call it a day.....

And what of the people who couldn't create a toon before every single NA server was locked down?