Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who reads quest text?

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

I see people imply stuff like if you don't read the quest text your just a content locust and missing out on the game and other stuff. As someone who skims or straight out clicks my way past the quest text that is going to be summed up in one sentence on the quest tracker anyway, I say play the game the way you want.

So out of curiosity who reads quest text?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I skip almost all of it, not that I don't like the writing or anything, but I've never read quest text in any MMO and I typically don't play them for their story.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Sofar level 30 and read everything, I'm taking my time and 1017 is making it longer than intended.
  • DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101

If you are rushed and in a hurry to get to endgame and are willing to sacrifice a deep understanding of the games lore and story...cant slow your race to end game disappointment by reading silly text can we now?

I read text, it makes the game more enjoyable. By the time I get to endgame, all the people who are too ADD to read and enjoy the game have left to the next new game and have already torched the forums regarding lack of content ect.  This actually increases my enjoyment further.

I really don't see why you would play a game like this when all you want is to do is get stoned, zone out, and trip over content on your mad dash to endgame.  To each their own though.  I suppose some people like playing these games in the least enjoyable manner possible and then complaining about the game.

Oh I just wanted to add I don't read text in every game.  Some games, most actually, its painfully clear that they just didn't care about telling much of a story, a product of so few caring so why spend the money on writers ect.  On those games its pointless to read text so I don't bother.  This game its actually quite good...which is why I keep calling it a mmorpg that actually is a RPG.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I don't always play (due to 1017 error)... but when I do, I read quest text image
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I do.
  • netsamurainetsamurai Member UncommonPosts: 23

I always read the quest text, especially in this game.  I've found that a lot of people don't then ask how to complete the quests when the solution is given to you in the text.  This especially applies for some of the guildleves and GC leve quests.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Much like a book, I will read everything rather than skimming as fast as I can, otherwise how the hell am I going to engage with the story/world?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I always read the quest text.  Then at some point, I end up having to rehash the text I read for somebody who couldn't be bothered to read it.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    I read all of it. I feel like if any game should have been voiced over, it should have been this one. The story in each area is very interesting as there are all these relationships between minor quest characters. Like one camp is going to be bought out by Ul'dah bureaucrats but some of the npcs are resisting the advances. A small church to Thal, the god of the dead, is near a graveyard and a little boy wants you to get some marble to bury his dead sister. Then there are mourning npcs standing all over the graveyard. One woman lost her husband, etc. What I love about FFXIV and GW2 is that there are fluff npcs that have their own stories that aren't necessary part of a questline who will teach you more about the world. Sometimes there are npcs goofing off with chat bubbles over their heads as they dance around, and then you talk to a guy watching them and he just complains that these new recruits have no place in farm life. 
  • reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I do read quest text no matter what games I play, whether it's MMO or single player games.   I play games for the story. Nowadays, a lot of people don't read any more...it's kind of sad, when they see a big paragraph of something,  they just call it a wall of text and asking for a  "summary"...  

When you play a game, aren't you supposed to immerse yourself in the environment and feel that your're part of the game world?

Anyway, I think I'm writing too much already and someone is going to ask for a summary of what I wrote...

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

I would have to say in most action type mmos I do not as much read quest text, but in game such as EQnext and Skyrim as well as Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn I do like to read the text.

For me it keeps from being burnt out as if i am just running from one fedex quest to another...the quest story line is actually well written in FFXIV and so they draw me into the game more and more to see whats around the next corner for a npc in the story line or myself as well.

So yes for this game I do in fact and just like a good book if it's well written it will keep you coming back for more(if you can login:P)

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I read it. I'm a quick reader, so it only takes maybe a couple seconds more than if I just clicked rapidly through it anyway.

I like to read that little paragraph of context they give you for the FATEs too, since you usually don't see how it starts, and they put a surprising amount of detail into those.

Some of the things you'll read, at least in this game, are interesting/thought-provoking too, and I enjoy that.

I understand that some people don't care - and honestly there isn't always something of substance to be found in the quest text anyway, so I can understand the skipping - but reading does help one not settle into the attitude that the whole game is a repetitive grind, and thus not get bored as easily.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I read it while I was playing in Phase IV (I don't have the game and can't buy it, lol).

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Deciman

If you are rushed and in a hurry to get to endgame and are willing to sacrifice a deep understanding of the games lore and story...cant slow your race to end game disappointment by reading silly text can we now?

I read text, it makes the game more enjoyable. By the time I get to endgame, all the people who are too ADD to read and enjoy the game have left to the next new game and have already torched the forums regarding lack of content ect.  This actually increases my enjoyment further.

I really don't see why you would play a game like this when all you want is to do is get stoned, zone out, and trip over content on your mad dash to endgame.  To each their own though.  I suppose some people like playing these games in the least enjoyable manner possible and then complaining about the game.

I'm sorry but I would find the game less enjoyable if the quest text was unable to be skipped and slowly typed out. Remember vanilla WoW? The quest text would take forever and was just annoying. It all gets summed up in one sentence for your quest tracker anyway. I enjoy skipping quest text and I enjoy playing the game. Trying to apply a negative stereotype to people who skip quest text and saying they are not enjoying the game or implying they are playing it wrong, just not true.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• McShwangusMcShwangus Member Posts: 7
    That's great if you read quest text. I'd prefer an "I don't care" option though. I really don't need to follow any storyline to go blast rats in the face with the same skill over and over. These stories suck anyway, I don't remember any worthwhile lore from the last 5 mmo's I've played. The only one that really sticks with me is the estate of unrest from eq2. Now that was great.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Every word with this one.

Other mmo's i start off with good intentions, but succumb to dull-drum, then tune in and out of the stories. This one though, every word mostly because most mmo stories are not this well written, captivating and engaging as this one has been.

Now i know this may be a console feature but the chat bubble text has made such an enormous difference, it's delivered in bite sized easy to read chunks, you click when you're done reading, and if you miss something simply click event chat box and viola you're recap if you missed something. Overall it's so much better than the square box, small font, wall of text as in other mmo's.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Read all of it besides levelquest, and guildhest text because I can always read that later on
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    If I wasn't going to be interested in the story of the world and game, I wouldn't play that game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I don't.  The map basically hand-holds you to the objective in current MMOs, and the story lines are infantile at best, so what's the point?  It used to be you had to read the quest text to have a general idea of the direction to travel, then you had to find it on your own.  No big glowing arrows, or sparkling / highlighted objectives.  Thought was often required.

Personally, I think current themeparks should just award the XP the moment you click on the quest giver.  Would save everyone a bunch of time, and would only be slightly less difficult than doing the actual quests.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't.  The map basically hand-holds you to the objective in current MMOs, and the story lines are infantile at best, so what's the point?  It used to be you had to read the quest text to have a general idea of the direction to travel, then you had to find it on your own.  No big glowing arrows, or sparkling / highlighted objectives.  Thought was often required.

Personally, I think current themeparks should just award the XP the moment you click on the quest giver.  Would save everyone a bunch of time, and would only be slightly less difficult than doing the actual quests.

Why not just give everyone a maxed out character and top gear after character creation? Would save everyone a bunch of time.

This is what is wrong with the mmorpg community...front and center with this post.

Some of us are paying to play a game, not race to an arbitrary max number as fast as possible.  You might want to try playing and enjoying the game for once...its actually what made first generation games so loved...not because they were better really, but because people played them for enjoyment and therefore enjoyed them more.

If you are not into stories and what not...you are playing the wrong type of game.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I read / Listen to all of the Main and Class quests but all the side quests I skip.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I read all of it, I enjoy story
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by nilden

I see people imply stuff like if you don't read the quest text your just a content locust and missing out on the game and other stuff. As someone who skims or straight out clicks my way past the quest text that is going to be summed up in one sentence on the quest tracker anyway, I say play the game the way you want.

So out of curiosity who reads quest text?

Class quests and Adventure Guild quests, and that's it. Read all the quests the first day, but not anymore, I just want to level up all my classes right now.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I read it.

I play games to get in the stories.

It's not always the case mind you, in some I start with good intentions, but end up skipping most of it if it does not grab me or if I feel it's poorly done, but in this game, I found I've been absorbed in the story and just want to find more and more information.

If reading/story is not your thing though, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you have fun!

But, to me, just reading the quest tracker text would feel more like watching only the "wrap ups" ("Previously on..") of TV shows. You may get the basic idea of what's happening, but you lose all the substance and the nuances of the story.

• FubarboxFubarbox Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I only read the class quests and the main story quest. I tried reading some of the side quests, but its way too much reading for little pay off IMHO...