Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Greenlit on steam 8/28

Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112802437

It looks like in their greenlight spree today of 100 titles, mortal online was listed as one of them. Thoughts? Maybe the community will increase, or maybe it will prove that mortal online is dead.

Comments

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41
    Have to say I don't know how it helps them to be Greenlit as a free game now.. but meh, whatever. I'm amazed they make any money at all lately.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Shyatic
    Have to say I don't know how it helps them to be Greenlit as a free game now.. but meh, whatever. I'm amazed they make any money at all lately.

I don't think they make any money, I'm almost positive they are losing it. But at the time I really hope it doesn't die off, it's a very unique game and it wouldn't hurt to have it do relatively well if this greenlighting works.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Awesome, it will be truly interesting to monitor how the game will change and if the influx of new players will remain in the game. I'm placing the bets on them not remaining for too long, because the game is still shit and the servers will probably crash in couple of hours.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Awesome, it will be truly interesting to monitor how the game will change and if the influx of new players will remain in the game. I'm placing the bets on them not remaining for too long, because the game is still shit and the servers will probably crash in couple of hours.

Interesting indeed. But I think, or I'm almost certain they want release before they upgraded their servers etc to handle it. So my guess is it won't happen til early next year perhaps. They do have some interesting things coming out soon, so we will have to wait and see. And at least one won't have to read Slapshots tiresome threads about MO not being greenlit on steam. :P

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm not as speechless as I was when I heard about Ben Affleck playing Batman, but I'm pretty speechless. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out. I'll be even more interested in seeing how MO's player numbers compare to STO's player numbers on Steam. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Lahuzer

Interesting indeed. But I think, or I'm almost certain they want release before they upgraded their servers etc to handle it. So my guess is it won't happen til early next year perhaps. They do have some interesting things coming out soon, so we will have to wait and see. And at least one won't have to read Slapshots tiresome threads about MO not being greenlit steam. :P

Yeah, Henrik just confirmed they won't be available on Steam for some time, till they sort some issues out (no shit). 

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Never thought i would see the day.. I guess its well done SV.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I will admit I have never played MO despite havin a huge interest in the game right before it came out. However, I have only heard the most scathing reviews about MO and the company behind it. These reviews have continued over the last few years and have ultimately kept me away.

Therefore, I am somewhat surprised by the somber yet hopeful replies in this thread about the greenlit news. I thought MO was trash and buggy to all hell - with many pissed off former gamers; sort of like the MMO version of WarZ.

Originally posted by deathshroud
    Never thought i would see the day.. I guess its well done SV.

They greenlit a hundred games, I'd be surprised if MO didn't make the cut of such a large portion. 

Originally posted by TheHavok

Therefore, I am somewhat surprised by the somber yet hopeful replies in this thread about the greenlit news. I thought MO was trash and buggy to all hell - with many pissed off former gamers; sort of like the MMO version of WarZ.

Personally, I am expecting the /popcorn type entertainment. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    After a small influx of players and then their sudden exit, what will the excuse be for why this game has only been able to attract 1500 subbers across the entire planet?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    After a small influx of players and then their sudden exit, what will the excuse be for why this game has only been able to attract 1500 subbers across the entire planet?

There are only 1500 "hardcore" people not busy fighting wars, climbing mount Everest, running with bike gangs and doing Great White Shark hunting with knives...

I am sure that number fluctuates a bit during times of peace and when great White Sharks numbers start to plummet.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

It was only a matter of time as they only count YES votes and people were bragging about making as many accounts as they could.  I just find it humorous that a game released for over 3 years took so long when games in development get quickly voted in.  Even the CEO of StarVault doesn't think his game is ready for Steam yet.  Says alot about the state of the game for the poor folks that bought it at release...

Anyhow.. one way or another MO will be providing some more entertainment over the months to come.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

I will admit I have never played MO despite havin a huge interest in the game right before it came out. However, I have only heard the most scathing reviews about MO and the company behind it. These reviews have continued over the last few years and have ultimately kept me away.

for all the dodgy stuff surrounding MO, i would not class it in the same category as warz. with warz they purposefully set out to scam people, But with MO they do at least try and for the most part care about their player base.

MO has its problems but i do not regret my 3 years with it, i do however regret my guild wars 2 and darkfall unholy wars purchases.... i have to admit though there was a time back in warz beta for like 2 months where i enjoyed myself. But the game was short lived and quickly revealed to be nothing but a scam.

The worst thing SV has done was auto subscribe players from beta, an experience i also had the displeasure of facing with my darkfall unholy wars subsription.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I fell victim to the same bad press as well and did not try it for quite a long time.  It wasn't until I was just downright fed up with the lack of a good fantasy sandbox game that I finally gave it a go and I wish I had never listened to any of those people.  The picture they paint of the game isn't entirely accurate.  

We're so accustomed to reading reviews and player commentary and writing them off when they come back telling us stuff like how SWTOR is so amazing and Age of Conan will be the next big game changer.  Yet we listen to them when they run MO into the ground.

In any case, it isn't trash -- but you're still probably not going to like it :P   Bugs and balance issues exist, but they exist in one of the best sandbox games i've played.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

They are a small indie company give them a break.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    MO could have been so much better of a game...The decision to be able to read skills to max (for free players) was just plain dumb......Once I started reading there was literally no reason to play the game anymore....I found myself logging in, buying a new book, starting to read, then logging off....After a couple days of that I thought whats the point and moved on to a new game.

If you have that attitude you'll probably miss out on a lot of great games, A critic is just one persons opinion and we know full well how many opinions there are in this genre. For all you know the guy who review MO could have been a huge wow fan. I am not saying it's a good or bad game i am just saying first hand experience is always the way to judge something.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

A small "Indie company" whit the highest priced sub of any AAA MMO. Indie company is fine (and I love indies) but look at the single player indies out there...They usually are FAR below AAA games concerning price since they have less overhead, less employees, less budget.

Bugs and incompetence are far more excusable when I am not paying the same price (or more) as a AAA title. I look at some great indie games out there and they are prices far less than , say, Skyrim.

With the few employees SV has (the excuse they always use) the reality would be they can operate onb far less money- This is publicly traded company on the stock exchange, charges the highest sub I have seen in an MMO, asks for donations and only has a few employees to pay.

-If we are going to continue to flaunt the "small team" excuse, lets start flaunting the LOWER THE PRICE  common sense move- because a small team does not require the same pay as a "large team"- Perhaps then all the bugs and mistakes can be forgiven a bit more.

• kolargolkolargol Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Steam is where sick games go to die.
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

A small "Indie company" whit the highest priced sub of any AAA MMO. Indie company is fine (and I love indies) but look at the single player indies out there...They usually are FAR below AAA games concerning price since they have less overhead, less employees, less budget.

Bugs and incompetence are far more excusable when I am not paying the same price (or more) as a AAA title. I look at some great indie games out there and they are prices far less than , say, Skyrim.

With the few employees SV has (the excuse they always use) the reality would be they can operate onb far less money- This is publicly traded company on the stock exchange, charges the highest sub I have seen in an MMO, asks for donations and only has a few employees to pay.

-If we are going to continue to flaunt the "small team" excuse, lets start flaunting the LOWER THE PRICE  common sense move- because a small team does not require the same pay as a "large team"- Perhaps then all the bugs and mistakes can be forgiven a bit more.

Well obviously people who sub to the game want to support it, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to sub.

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Well obviously people who sub to the game want to support it, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to sub.

-Agreed, and I wouldnt give them money with YOUR credit card =P

-But when the 'small team" excuse and "indie company" excuse keeps being thrown around concerning SV's inability to make their systems work or  finish things in a timely manner (or at all)- It need to be brought up. Small team is fine and I play some fantastic indies- But indie and a small team should translate to lower cost(s).

-If the excuse is always small team- Then hire more people or drop the sub price to reflect only having a few employees to pay.

EDIT- Also note that I rarely see "indie" companies traded on the stock market  and I have never seen a publicly traded company ask for donations for their FOR PROFIT ventures...Not have I ever seen a game in such a state after 3+ years... And with all the staffing cuts I dont think things are going to be fixed anytime in my lifetime...But heaven frbit the sub price reflects the operating costs.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by deathshroud 

The worst thing SV has done was auto subscribe players from beta

I dont know, I think that NOT SHIPPING functional discs to people who bought the boxed game was a pretty bad move.  They were supposed to not only get the discs but also ALL UPDATES freely shipped on disc.  I'd say that blatant failure to deliver what they sold was worse, but I admit the auto subscription of people was close.  Kind of like splitting hairs.

It will be interesting to see how their Steam launch goes.  DF:UW was a much more popular game, got through Greenight instantly but as far as I can tell their Steam player base was really small.  Since MO is free to try, they likely won't be part of the deaily or weekly deals so I'm not sure they would get much more exposure than they currently got through their Greenlight campaign.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

No, they do not get any break, being indie is not an excuse. Minecraft was made by one guy. EvE was made by an indie company but got its shit together. I could go on. If they charge as for a AAA mmo (not to mention the charity donations), they should deliver a AAA mmo. 

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

Darkfall Unholy wars got greenlit almost a year ago now and we all thought it'd be the saving grace of Darkfall.

Darkfall Unholy wars launched with approximately 9 times less sales then the original game.  When the steam client launched, less than 500 people purchased the game before a half-off weekend months later.  Even then, only 300-400 people bought it at half off.

Since then, the population of the game has been rapidly declining with almost no new steam sales.

What do Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online both have in common?  They are both shit games made by shit developers.

I played Darkfall 1 for 3 years (launch till server shutdown) and Mortal Online never came close to what DF1 was.

Sorry all but MO is soon to be no more.

EDIT: Here's the proof http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

The little influx around July was the half off weekend.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by indef

Darkfall Unholy wars got greenlit almost a year ago now and we all thought it'd be the saving grace of Darkfall.

Darkfall Unholy wars launched with approximately 9 times less sales then the original game.  When the steam client launched, less than 500 people purchased the game before a half-off weekend months later.  Even then, only 300-400 people bought it at half off.

Since then, the population of the game has been rapidly declining with almost no new steam sales.

What do Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online both have in common?  They are both shit games made by shit developers.

I played Darkfall 1 for 3 years (launch till server shutdown) and Mortal Online never came close to what DF1 was.

Sorry all but MO is soon to be no more.

EDIT: Here's the proof http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

The little influx around July was the half off weekend.

That isn't sales that's how many logged in through steam.  I bought rift through steam and never logged in through steam, just got my game key and went through the main game site.