Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next PAX personal Q&A

2»

Comments

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by ropenice
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    It occurs to me that they are taking a bigger risk than they anticipate here. EQ is a FRANCHISE. They completely scrapped a game that attempted to evolve  the old EQ system because it felt like the same old thing, in their words. That was a failure on their part in being unable to work up something new with clear roots in the original that was fun and innovative yet still EQ. Its like a writer for a sitcom suddenly turning in a script for another show because they were uninspired. They have tacked the franchise name onto a game that is something else. History in entertainment teaches us that is a recipe for failure. You build a franchise by appealing to its core fans who will draw in new fans and if you alienate them you lose. This is even true cross media with franchises like Star Trek where Enterprise mocked its fan base only to fail and then be rebooted successfully by Abrams who cloned TOS with new twists. I am not saying this game will fail but they have two clear marks against them based on proven industry precedent already to overcome. Time will tell.

I agree, especially seeing steampunk and guns might be in game. Where will they draw the line with keeping with lore and EQ franchise. It seems like they just want to throw in whatever they come across that might sell a few more boxes. I'm still interested as they have some good ideas, but almost everything new I hear takes it further from being EQ in anything but name.

One thing I'm curious about with landmark, have they announced the pricing model yet? I can't imagine it being F2P completely. Just wondering how they are going to make money on it.

If they are truly paying attention to the Round Table then the Ninjas and Rifles may not be included.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Mendel
    Originally posted by DMKano

The answers further prove just how unfinished EQN is - smells like late 2015 release to me.

I was with you.   But I'm beginning to think 2016 might not be unrealistic.

I bet against you both and say 2014. End of 2014 though. Usually i would even say summer.. but i don't believe in summer releases.

• xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78

Guns and ninjas etc were by no means confirmed.  It may have been nothing more than one dev speaking out loud about his personal preferences, maybe not the actual game he's working on.

GW2 has a touch of steampunk and modernism in both armor and weaponry and I think they did a fantastic job keeping it feel fantasical.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

Guns and ninjas etc were by no means confirmed.  It may have been nothing more than one dev speaking out loud about his personal preferences, maybe not the actual game he's working on.

GW2 has a touch of steampunk and modernism in both armor and weaponry and I think they did a fantastic job keeping it feel fantasical.

I agree. I liked the steampunk guns in GW2. Nothing so cool as making lots of noise with 2 steampunk pistols, teheh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

I agree. I liked the steampunk guns in GW2. Nothing so cool as making lots of noise with 2 steampunk pistols, teheh.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker or anything, but I always felt there was a division of how fantasy worlds felt, as in the difference between Dark ages type medieval period and the 1500's where swords, bows and guns mixed. It wouldn't ruin things if the game is as good as their ideas should make it. Just a preference.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Ask them if once you get fully tiered up, would you out-level content or areas. Like on day one you walk out of the newbie area and get attacked by 3 Orcs and then 6 months down the road you come back to that area and get attacked again by three Orcs, would they provide nearly the same challenge as they did the first time?
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Thanks to the OP for those tidbits.

I'm a bit worried about the whole deal about the limitations on mix and matching the skills, as I thought it would be a lot more open than that. It may be easier to balance if it isn't... but that's a rather minor design decision, so I think that's definitely still something thet can change.

As for them not knowing what "warding" is... was that Dariani answering? From other interviews, the guy sounds a lot more like a marketing exec wannabe then anything close to a creative/designer type of guy, so I don't doubt he could be clueless about that.

Finally, dark elves with horns suck. That's just totally not dark elves. Will they have hooves as well? ;)

• GnostikGnostik Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1

I'm a bit worried about the whole deal about the limitations on mix and matching the skills, as I thought it would be a lot more open than that. It may be easier to balance if it isn't... but that's a rather minor design decision, so I think that's definitely still something thet can change.

As for them not knowing what "warding" is... was that Dariani answering? From other interviews, the guy sounds a lot more like a marketing exec wannabe then anything close to a creative/designer type of guy, so I don't doubt he could be clueless about that.

Finally, dark elves with horns suck. That's just totally not dark elves. Will they have hooves as well? ;)

Well, in the example from the class panel, the Warrior slots a Mana Burn ability and a stealthy shadow walk type ability. So there can definitely be variety with the current system.

I was pleased to see that the categories for the slots change with class. This gives a little more flavor to each class, and makes sense with the examples they've given - e.g. I would want my Wizard to have 2 movement slots rather than be evenly mixed.

Originally posted by Gnostik

Well, in the example from the class panel, the Warrior slots a Mana Burn ability and a stealthy shadow walk type ability. So there can definitely be variety with the current system.

I was pleased to see that the categories for the slots change with class. This gives a little more flavor to each class, and makes sense with the examples they've given - e.g. I would want my Wizard to have 2 movement slots rather than be evenly mixed.

Why, what's the downside to using any slot the way you want?

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Omeed is actually SOE's Global Brand Manager. He is the PR guy, although he does seem to be part of the creative/dev team in some ways. He comes off as very nice and communicates a decent amount on Reddit, Twitter, and of course in person at all the events. Calling him a "wannabe" is not really needed.

The downside is you'd have what GW2 has, self-contained soloing machines. By having restrictions, it makes each class play as a particular role and have more reliance on others. You can spice them up however and make them unique, but the core class stays focused on a particular style of play (defense, offense, support, etc.) instead of everyone able to do everything which seems to be a major flaw in GW2 and why so many dislike it.

• solarbear88solarbear88 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Thanks for posting.

Ignore the trolls on this thread.
    Originally posted by Allein

Omeed is actually SOE's Global Brand Manager. He is the PR guy, although he does seem to be part of the creative/dev team in some ways. He comes off as very nice and communicates a decent amount on Reddit, Twitter, and of course in person at all the events. Calling him a "wannabe" is not really needed.

The downside is you'd have what GW2 has, self-contained soloing machines. By having restrictions, it makes each class play as a particular role and have more reliance on others. You can spice them up however and make them unique, but the core class stays focused on a particular style of play (defense, offense, support, etc.) instead of everyone able to do everything which seems to be a major flaw in GW2 and why so many dislike it.

Well calling him "wannabe" is actually needed as it represents very well what I perceived of him in the interviews and round-table : a guy who's really trying to belong but doesn't seem to. It feels like he's rather clueless about the genre/coming from another industry or part of the industry and didn't do his homework. That's maybe wrong, but that's how it feels to me when I listed to the guy. Nice, but not very credible. Not like Georgeson, say.

Agreed with your second statement. I see better how that can be. Still will boil down to balancing, I think.

Originally posted by solarbear88
    Thanks for posting.

Ignore the trolls on this thread.

Sorry, who's trolling?