Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamescom Awards:More evidence that those playing the game think highly of ESO

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Gratz to ESO on the awards.

No need to bash other games in your post, though. That kind of negativity doesn't bring people over; it keeps people away.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Vorch

No need to bash other games in your post, though. That kind of negativity doesn't bring people over; it keeps people away.

Actually that's not true. The longest threads in these forums for as long as I've been a member are the negative ones. Regardless, you've inspired me to take the high road and I've removed those negative references lol. It will now be your fault when the thread disappears in a few days hehehe

There Is Always Hope!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    SWTOR and AoC won awards too.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Awards are like high school diplomas.... I can wipe my ass with em n that's bout all the good they are.
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    SWTOR and AoC won awards too.

Excellent, a negative post lol. Hopefully this game will do even better than those. The point is don't write the game off until you play it.

There Is Always Hope!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Best Role Playing Game and Best Social/Casual/Online Game are awards to be boastful of.  They lost in best MMO, best Gamescom, Best PC game awards.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by keithian

Actually that's not true. The longest threads in these forums for as long as I've been a member are the negative ones. Regardless, you've inspired me to take the high road and I've removed those negative references lol. It will now be your fault when the thread disappears in a few days hehehe

It's alright, dude :)

It's the same principle behind peaceful protests and debates:

If one side is peaceful and the other is negative, the peaceful side will be in the right, no matter what their views are.

If BOTH sides are go negative, it becomes a mess.

I am looking forward to ESO, though. Been watching videos; haven't paid too much attention to awards at the moment. Trying to see the extent of PvP in the world.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by furbans
    Best Role Playing Game and Best Social/Casual/Online Game are awards to be boastful of.  They lost in best MMO, best Gamescom, Best PC game awards.

Now a game has to win in every category to show it is heading in the right direction? There's logic for you. Destiny looks awesome. It deserved best of show. That doesn't subtract from the positive experience most got from playing ESO which is becoming more the norm of those who play it. Have you?

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

It's alright, dude :)

It's the same principle behind peaceful protests and debates:

If one side is peaceful and the other is negative, the peaceful side will be in the right, no matter what their views are.

If BOTH sides are go negative, it becomes a mess.

I am looking forward to ESO, though. Been watching videos; haven't paid too much attention to awards at the moment. Trying to see the extent of PvP in the world.

Same here. I'm waiting to see the PVP as well, if anything to close the debate about if this is multiplayer or massive which I already know the answer to based on their comments that more than 200 will be on the screen at one time and more than 1000 in an area. Now lets just hope the PVP gameplay is interesting and fun.

There Is Always Hope!

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

An award means nothing if you don't know the nominees. So I looked up which games were nominated for these categories (hopefully I didn't miss one):

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/media/gamescom/downloads/pdf/gamescom_Award_Liste_Nominierungen.pdf

Best Online Multiplayer Game:
    Destiny  WINNER
    The Elder Scrolls Online
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Payday 2
    Warface
    Titanfall

Best Social/Casual/Online Game:
    The Elder Scrolls Online WINNER
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    Project Spark
    Rain
    World of Warplanes

Best PC Game:
    Battlefield 4 WINNER
    Total War: Rome 2
    The Crew
    Warface
    Titanfall

Best Roleplaying Game:
    Ligthning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII
    Wildstar

After that I came to the conclusiion that the Best Online Multiplayer Game category is more or less nonsense. There are MMOs, coop games, multiplayer games, all mixed. They lack a Best MMO game category. Only thing we know now is that TESO is a better MMO RPG than Wildstar, in their oppinion of course.

Really not much worth those awards...

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

So they gave an Award to a Pre-configured Demo of a Game still in early Beta?

Guess we will be seeing those 9.0 Reviews from MMORPG.com real soon then too

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

I giggled =P 

ok so I DO like ESO.. but best RPG?!?!? how the hell would they know from what little is available! Also I find it hilarious that the pics they show on FB of Gamescon are pretty low in numbers of ppl.. oh wait and then they showed a pic of the ENTRANCE HALL claiming it was all the ppl coming to see their booth... WHAT?!?!?! Zenimax is getting a tad cocky and they need to be careful with WIldstar having such a clever and humorous ad campaign, also actual screenshots of their own booth and how crowded it was.

That being said I actually hope both games do well and both are good enough to survive P2P. All that will come out when they offer open beta or on release.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

I giggled =P 

ok so I DO like ESO.. but best RPG?!?!? how the hell would they know from what little is available! Also I find it hilarious that the pics they show on FB of Gamescon are pretty low in numbers of ppl.. oh wait and then they showed a pic of the ENTRANCE HALL claiming it was all the ppl coming to see their booth... WHAT?!?!?! Zenimax is getting a tad cocky and they need to be careful with WIldstar having such a clever and humorous ad campaign, also actual screenshots of their own booth and how crowded it was.

That being said I actually hope both games do well and both are good enough to survive P2P. All that will come out when they offer open beta or on release.

That is interesting.  Maybe, that just means best graphics, because that is about the only RPG element they could have thoroughly reviewed within that time limit. 

These awards mean diddly shit.

I can't believe they didn't give WS more.  The booth was packed!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs So they gave an Award to a Pre-configured Demo of a Game still in early Beta? Guess we will be seeing those 9.0 Reviews from MMORPG.com real soon then too
    I giggled =P 

they need to be careful about wildstar? wildstar wont effect their sales much, wildstar will have a niche following at best compared to ESO.

wildstar needs to have aggressive marketing campaigns, ESO's box sales are virtually guaranteed due to name alone, they could market their game a lot less and still dwarf wildstar's box sales or player numbers.

especially when you consider that ESO will be on the consoles. honestly, no mmo should concern ESO when it comes to box sales.

this is just the reality of the situation and does not speak to the quality of the games, even though i personally wont be playing wildstar myself due to the cartoonish art style i don't like.

how long can ESO hold a large amount of subs? that is he million dollar question.

whatever that number is, it will be more than wildstar, just sayin...

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs So they gave an Award to a Pre-configured Demo of a Game still in early Beta? Guess we will be seeing those 9.0 Reviews from MMORPG.com real soon then too
    I giggled =P 

they need to be careful about wildstar? wildstar wont effect their sales much, wildstar will have a niche following at best compared to ESO.

wildstar needs to have aggressive marketing campaigns, ESO's box sales are virtually guaranteed due to name alone, they could market their game a lot less and still dwarf wildstar's box sales or player numbers.

especially when you consider that ESO will be on the consoles. honestly, no mmo should concern ESO when it comes to box sales.

this is just the reality of the situation and does not speak to the quality of the games, even though i personally wont be playing wildstar myself due to the cartoonish art style i don't like.

how long can ESO hold a large amount of subs? that is he million dollar question.

I am not impressed by how many boxes a game sells.

ESO will sell more boxes based solely on IP, but WS is a much better game, and it will be the one that endures.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Anthur

An award means nothing if you don't know the nominees. So I looked up which games were nominated for these categories (hopefully I didn't miss one):

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/media/gamescom/downloads/pdf/gamescom_Award_Liste_Nominierungen.pdf

Best Online Multiplayer Game:
    Destiny  WINNER
    The Elder Scrolls Online
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Payday 2
    Warface
    Titanfall

Best Social/Casual/Online Game:
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    Project Spark
    Rain
    World of Warplanes

Best PC Game:
    Battlefield 4 WINNER
    Total War: Rome 2
    The Crew
    Warface
    Titanfall

Best Roleplaying Game:
    Ligthning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII
    Wildstar

After that I came to the conclusiion that the Best Online Multiplayer Game category is more or less nonsense. There are MMOs, coop games, multiplayer games, all mixed. They lack a Best MMO game category. Only thing we know now is that TESO is a better MMO RPG than Wildstar, in their oppinion of course.

Really not much worth those awards...

Best RPG, 3 games, two of which are MMOs, none of the big RPGs coming next here in it? Who the hell made these categories?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by jimprouner

I giggled =P    ok so I DO like ESO.. but best RPG?!?!? how the hell would they know from what little is available! Also I find it hilarious that the pics they show on FB of Gamescon are pretty low in numbers of ppl.. oh wait and then they showed a pic of the ENTRANCE HALL claiming it was all the ppl coming to see their booth... WHAT?!?!?! Zenimax is getting a tad cocky and they need to be careful with WIldstar having such a clever and humorous ad campaign, also actual screenshots of their own booth and how crowded it was. That being said I actually hope both games do well and both are good enough to survive P2P. All that will come out when they offer open beta or on release.
      they need to be careful about wildstar? wildstar wont effect their sales much, wildstar will have a niche following at best compared to ESO. wildstar needs to have aggressive marketing campaigns, ESO's box sales are virtually guaranteed due to name alone, they could market their game a lot less and still dwarf wildstar's box sales or player numbers. especially when you consider that ESO will be on the consoles. honestly, no mmo should concern ESO when it comes to box sales. this is just the reality of the situation and does not speak to the quality of the games, even though i personally wont be playing wildstar myself due to the cartoonish art style i don't like. how long can ESO hold a large amount of subs? that is he million dollar question. whatever that number is, it will be more than wildstar, just sayin...

ESO will sell more boxes based solely on IP, but WS is a much better game, and it will be the one that endures.

no it wont and no it isn't. i am not impressed about wildstar in the slightest, so we have conflicting views apparently.

even SWTOR is enduring better than most mmo's out there, you may not like the games but the popular ones stay popular and games like wildstar are nothing more than a fart in the wind.

but back to my original post which you quoted, ESO doesn't need to worry about wildstar in the slightest, regardless of what you feel about the game personally.

the reality is, just as you said, ESO will have more people playing their game at launch just due to name alone and will continue to have more playing months after as well.

not to mention it will be on consoles as well, it wont even be close i'm afraid.

even if there is a mass exodus of players (which will happen to wildstar too), the remaining players will still outnumber wildstar's.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

This thread makes me LOL.

Not because ESO won some award, while still in Early Beta., from some game company that no one knows of

Its funny because the OP is using this "award" as some form of solid proof (evidence) that ESO will actually be a good MMO instead of just another turd in the punchbowl

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815

LOL that someone gave an award to a game that hasn't been released. For MMO's, I'd wait 6mos or even a year before really making an evaluation.

But if you like the Elder Scrolls world, look and feel, then you're gonna like ESO. It's not that the game "feels like" Skyrim, it *is* Skyrim. I think the game will do well.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by jimprouner

I giggled =P 

WS=Wow imo or they trying for that market and they might pull it of thanks to the cartoon look and game play, but I'm with the guy above you who said he's not playing it due to cartoon look, I same damned if I paying to play a game that looks so shit imo I want to play a game that not only looks modern but plays like a the games or game types I like. I never played wow due to that shity look and theme park BS and I don't want the grind fest either. So after trying ESO at the show I will be buying and playing it until SC comes out so I'm cool about paying to play games too as I have 6 Eve active accounts already.

I'm looking forward to the ESO Skyrim type of MMORPG make a nice change to play a decent online game with a community to boot.

Bandit 

Asbo

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

This entire thread is irrelevant.  Proof.

Look at all those awards.  What happened to it?  Exactly.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Ikeda

This entire thread is irrelevant.  Proof.

Look at all those awards.  What happened to it?  Exactly.

You're right of course but we never really know what an MMO is going to be like until we experience it for ourselves - and that's what "happens to them." SWTOR didn't really show it's true faults until you had played it, seen the linear geography and experienced it's lack of content. 

All the pre-release praise for SWTOR was based on snippets and partial info and the assumptions and speculation based on those. It's hardly different from movie trailers and the full thing.

Some people are so wise about movies and MMOs that they can tell you ahead of time... and some like to just bash them all since that's a pretty safe approach - every single one of them (with only 2 exceptions I can think of - WOW and EVE) will "fail" according to some criteria, be it total initial users, player attrition, time to F2P conversion, or whatever criteria you want to use.

That's simply because there are many more casual MMO tourists that swarm any new game like locust and then move on, than those who stick with any mmo for more than a few months.

So... "MMO X is going to fail, mark my words!"... pretty safe statement to make about any of them.

So which one are you willing to say will not fail? FFXIV? I predict it will, mark my words image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

the fact it won best casual/newb friendly award for me is viewed as a negative for the game.  Its best RPG cause lets face it there isnt much on the horizon that looks great and we all know ESO has the best lore / world out of the upcoming games so no shocker there.  To win best casual / nub friendly for me is super negative as I am not a casual player and I hate super easy games like wow has become.   Personaly I think eso will suck and so will all the other games coming atm which is super sad to say but I feel its gonna be true.

I'm playing darkfall still even with its problems its still the best PvP game on the market atm just hoping AV will get there stuff together add the missing roles and fix major issues and perhaps some balance tweaking but for now nothing is looking to be better than DF currently...

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I wouldn't base a game's value on the opinions of fans who got 15-20 minute play sessions in a limited aspect of the game.  Numerous examples have already been given of prior instances.  I'm not trying to damper your enthusiasm, just suggesting that you temper your expectations and await the opinions of people who have been playing for longer periods who can tell you how the game feels after a week, month, etc... 

Unfortunately with an IP this large we may not get the opportunity, before launch, to get real opinions from long term beta testers that are not discredited (and subsequently buried) by fans due to the NDA.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

All I have to say is this.

SWTOR won best of awards also...the only thing protecting TESO is the fact that there is a DNA on the beta, something they are going to hold onto as long as possible before release to limit the damage information will do to the game.