Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No cash shop for ESO

artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Not official, but from someone who is there and looks to be having a lot of fun.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2013/08/pax-prime-preview/comment-page-3/#comments

Hey everyone! I have to apologize, I’m a bit too intoxicated and exhausted to do a complete PAX day 1 recap tonight, BUT I did want to at least drop the TF community a nice nugget of information that we learned today.

The whole “cash shop” aspect of the ESO business model was just a misinterpretation / translation error / slip of the tongue. ESO does not have a cash shop in addition to it’s subscription fee. Hope this alleviates some of the concerns the community had expressed since that emerged at Gamescon!

I promise a more in-depth rundown later this weekend when I have time + sobriety.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
R.A.Salvatore

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Thank goodness can you imagine es with an invasive cash shop?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Damn! Now where am I going to get my Queen Ayrenn T-shirt? image
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
     I thought from the start that announcement contradicted many a quote from Matt and Co.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Yeah I think cash shop to some people = paid services.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

imageimageimage

WOOOT

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I wonder if FF XIV had anything to do with that?

Now we just need Wildstar to relent and say how bad a idea a cash shop and sub is in a MMO.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Thanks for the info!

I kinda knew they wouldn't have a CS, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me so I wasn't worried. At least now the negative threads about it can stop.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    My money is on them having a cash shop.
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

And if it's burning a hole in your pocket, you can already spend it here:  http://store.bethsoft.com/ It has been selling ESO T's, posters and glasses for a while now.

In a way you're right...but you're mostly wrong since "cash shop" is associated with in-game cash shops these days, and that ain't happening.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

And if it's burning a hole in your pocket, you can already spend it here:  http://store.bethsoft.com/ It has been selling ESO T's, posters and glasses for a while now.

In a way you're right...but you're mostly wrong since "cash shop" is associated with in-game cash shops these days, and that ain't happening.

The game will have an in game cash shop.

You say so based on what?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Interesting how the assumption there may be a cash shop, regardless of poor translation and contradictory statements attracted more attention than the official stance of no cash shop in game.  I suppose everyone likes to throw a person accused of murder under the bus with front page headlines, but rarely pay attention to the back page retraction...

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Originally posted by Distopia

based on the last 6 years of seeing cash shops in mmo's.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Not official, but from someone who is there and looks to be having a lot of fun.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2013/08/pax-prime-preview/comment-page-3/#comments

Hey everyone! I have to apologize, I’m a bit too intoxicated and exhausted to do a complete PAX day 1 recap tonight, BUT I did want to at least drop the TF community a nice nugget of information that we learned today.

The whole “cash shop” aspect of the ESO business model was just a misinterpretation / translation error / slip of the tongue. ESO does not have a cash shop in addition to it’s subscription fee. Hope this alleviates some of the concerns the community had expressed since that emerged at Gamescon!

I promise a more in-depth rundown later this weekend when I have time + sobriety.

Personally anyone who though it was having one never watched their interview and people are quick to jump on the band wagon and shoot off like some young teenager having his first jerk!!! I cannot remember how many I read saying I'm out of here...

Just wish folks would do their research before they get carried away. Still lets hope that people start to calm down and look at the game for what it is. After trying it at gamescom I will be there from the off and I'm not bothered that these guys have no track record as 2100 queuing for 5 days and more turned away tells me there has to be something good about this game and I'll be there at the off.

Bandit. 

Asbo

Originally posted by Distopia

Not many P2P have gone that route outside of WOW TSW or AIon I'm aware of, the rest were simply P2P until the day they switched it up to F2P.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Distopia Originally posted by nerovipus32 The game will have an in game cash shop.

you see a lot of different things in mmo's, that doesn't mean they will all be in ESO.

i don't see what the big deal is anyways as long as it doesn't give you an in game advantage in any way.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    When the game launches I will see if it's in the game.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    I think what being overlooked is the funding for console versions since PS4 & XB-one owner will be already paying monthly subs for PSN and XB-Live that's where the cash shop could come in
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Originally posted by dustyhayes
    I think what being overlooked is the funding for console versions since PS4 & XB-one owner will be already paying monthly subs for PSN and XB-Live that's where the cash shop could come in

You do not need a PS Plus membership to access MMO's on the PS 3 & 4.  

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by RexKushman

You sure because I was under the impression that PS + was required for PS4 online play due to the E3  announcement & Shuhei Yoshida's interview with Gamespot

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

You sure because I was under the impression that PS + was required for PS4 online play due to the E3  announcement & Shuhei Yoshida's interview with Gamespot

Games with a sub fee and f2p games will not need PS+.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

It's not a sure thing, though they're trying: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61138/bethesda-is-pushing-to-let-you-play-elder-scrolls-online-on-xbox-one-without-xbox-gold/

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

It's not a sure thing, though they're trying: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61138/bethesda-is-pushing-to-let-you-play-elder-scrolls-online-on-xbox-one-without-xbox-gold/

No. I am referencing what Sony said at the PS4 reveal. They specifically said that games with a subscription will not need PS+ and F2P games will not require it either. They also mentioned that any game where Sony was not the ones providing the servers that the developer / publisher could bypass PS+ if they chose too.

No. I am referencing what Sony said at the PS4 reveal. They specifically said that games with a subscription will not need PS+ and F2P games will not require it either. They also mentioned that any game where Sony was not the ones providing the servers that the developer / publisher could bypass PS+ if they chose too.

Not how I remember it: http://kotaku.com/ps4-video-says-playstation-plus-is-mandatory-for-online-512482325

You got a link that says the opposite?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Hmmm... Are they kidding?! It's there: 0:42... The interview above me... Gosh, I though only politians did this...

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!