Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not for an old fart like me

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I am sure the FF fans were desperately seeking your approval.

Bizarrely enough, it would appear that is exactly the case.

Did they petition the op to please come review their sub-genre?

I must've missed that thread.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

I'm not saying this is the case here but when people stat that "their kid(s) like it" is that to imply we like a simple kids game?, we are children because we like something a kid likes?, we must be low IQ folk because we like something kids like? we are not adults and we are immature simpletons because we like something kids like?

If so i better stop watching the NFL(football), Hockey, Discovery Channel and similar shows, because my kids not only like it they love it, oh and i imagine i better stop reading novels too.

Just saying.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Myria

I am sure the FF fans were desperately seeking your approval.

Bizarrely enough, it would appear that is exactly the case.

Did they petition the op to please come review their sub-genre?

I must've missed that thread.

Hmm... didn't realize opinions had to be solicited here. Opinions about opinions certainly don't seem to need that...

I don't remember you ever having had an original unsolicited opinion for us to scrutinize. Are you waiting for an invite?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Final Fantasy games always seem to have bizzarre characters and races......Some people really relate to them well and others despise them......
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Final Fantasy games always seem to have bizzarre characters and races......Some people really relate to them well and others despise them......

Love the Miqote :D yeey for furry tails!

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Iselin.

And I agree, this is nothing like Tera with respect to the pedo factor: this kiddie race is not sexualized like theirs is...now THAT, was creepy.

I think you've just hit the nail on the head, and it sort of is the response that you have a anime phobia.  Fact is, you do. 

What makes anime "weird" to many of us is that it depicts younger, say teenage and even earlier beings basically participating in activities associated with adults. (just like those teenage vampire books and movies, ugh)

Violence, sex, mature themes in general are normally restricted in western fantasy to more adult characters and it has nothing to do with character size.

Sure, Dwarves, Hobbits, Gnomes etc are all smaller in stature, but in most literature including fantasy games, it's the adult characters that are the focus, they just don't send out children to do the dirty work.

Also, for those of us who's avatars are more of representation of ourselves (or what we'd like ourselves to be) somehow I think few adults can relate to a teenage or child like character.  Face it, those are not great years in anyone's life, and it certainly isn't the time when most of us had to deal with the adult issues (unless we came from some sort of disfunctional family or social situation) on a regular basis.

So it's really not a phobia, its just not something that you can relate to.  It also explains why some younger folks like anime in their teens, but then seem to migrate away once they get into their 20's, once again, they stop visualizing themselves in their teen years.

In some ways its sort of like wearing your baseball cap on backwards, there comes an age when you should just stop doing it, you just look silly at that point, and no longer cool. image

But then again, many folks feel the same way about gaming in general, so who really cares?

At the end of the day, you either like anime style art and games or you don't, and fortunately there's plenty of games to go around.

That's a well thought out and interesting point...there may be something to what you say.  

But for me it goes beyond the art. There are other elements that seem popular in eastern RPGs that don't help me, for lack of a better word, immerse: the fixation on mob gigantism, the anthropomorphization of inanimate objects or vegetables, the gratuitous extra zeros added to combat numbers. Not all, and some of those concepts have been incorporated into some western RPGs as well... "over the top" is the best phrase to describe how I see them... shrug.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Theocritus

Yeah. I do suffer from verbal diarrhea... maybe that's all I should have said about it instead of trying to analyze it... it sums it up neatly.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Juaks

I hate gnomes and it didn't stop me playing WoW for years.

It seems to me OP has anime phobia. Does not have to do with age at all. It's all about tastes. I am 39 and love anime and eastern art style.  Games like FF and TERA are very pleasant to my eyes.

Anime Phobia = raised in the Western World where the culture pushes adults to adult tastes. Big eyes, bright colors, little bodies is a visual recipe for child-appealing content. If you like it that's fine, but there are reasons why others do not like it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm right there with ya OP, the game-play and systems are good in the game, some of the visuals are great, but where it falls flat for me is the whimsical cuteness.

Definitely not a case of Anime-phobia for me, I like a lot of anime, just not the type that features this type of look.

Death-Note, Akira, Ghost in the shell, Blood: The last Vampire, Demon city Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll and it's spin offs, Vampire Hunter D, The highlander Anime Movie, etc, huge fan of these movies/shows.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Ageism is just as reproachable than any of the other isms.

Lucky for you your advanced age allowed you to not be a fool an pre-purchase.

Unlucky for you to be bound to societal memes and tropes.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by SeriphinX

I'll be honest, I thought I would really hate this MMO.  

I guess I'm getting older (36)..but as of late, and after playing grittier RPGS like Skyrim, I had grown a distaste for Square's FF art style.  Lately, for the regular FF series, it has been the same old playbook; emo-depressed facial expressions on the main characters, male or female, male characters that are too feminine, as if the inspiration for them was a Poison album cover from 1987.  My favorite FF obviously was FFVII...after that they really seemed to jump the shark a lot on their character designs.  

So all that said, I thought I would hate FFXIV.

But I don't.  And the one thing that saves for me are the classes/jobs and the fact that there are roles in this game.  I can't stand mmos where all classes are completely balanced..i.e. all can heal/dps/tank/solo.  To me, that's what made making alts in EQ1 and FFXI so fun.

As it stands, art aside, I am enjoying the game, I actually played beta back and forth on PC and PS3 and I really liked using the PS3 controller.

I did pre-order to get EA for both PS3 and PC.  This will occupy my mmo fix for a while.  

My 2 gil anyway.

Majority of the people on this site had to go Google Poison album art in order to understand. 

I am a few years older than you and I laughed at the comment. 

I grew up playing RPG's and love them, I can fit myself in somewhere as some role no matter the style of game, but I am finding that harder to do these days.  Mostly because most of the games have become too shallow and only hold my attention for a short while. 

The key to the whole thing is that it is ROLE PLAYING, it's not building a small copy of yourself and sending it out to battle ladybugs. 

You are building a fantasy character, and sending it forth to become a hero. Build a giant dude that finds the fragility of life is sad and decides to be a healer.

Or one of those little guys that decides being small and picked on all of his life he is going to become a pugulist and beat things up.

Be creative, play a role, take the choices they give you and create a story. 

Not so nice guy!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Maybe there are kids playing and they want to play a child like character.  Why force a kid to play a grown up character if they aren't grown up?

Some people like to role play to escape reality for awhile using something we used to refer to in the old days as imagination.

Do all avatars have to have big bulging muscles or giant breasts and little waists?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Iselin

I've grown up playing RPGs and reading a lot of good Western fantasy fiction. My son, OTOH, grew up with Nintendo playing Link and FF...these over-the-top and often nonsensical characters and stories seem normal to him and he enjoys them. They just seem like over-the-top farces to me...shrug.

I tried the game anyway this past weekend once I found out all you had to do was create an account and DL the client without committing to pre-order. Other than some inexplicable random crashes to the desktop, it looks polished and well-done.

I found a well-crafted game with a lot of depth... and an annoying little child race who look even more ridiculous when they appear in a gray-haired and bearded version. I know...it's fantasy and somehow I can tolerate orcs, goblins, vampires, zombies etc... there is just something about this particular brand of fantasy that seems just alien and laughable to me... it ruins my immersion.

Those of you who are more accustomed to this type of fantasy world and enjoy it...have fun, it looks like a good game for you...just not for me.

In real life you are able to filter out things you might dislike or don't want to see, same with games really.

Just enjoy that what you enjoy but keep in mind you are not the only person playing in a MMO world.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can honestly say I don't have a anime-phobeia, in fact I luv me anime. on the other hand I agree with the OP on this I HATE child like race in MMOs, TERA was the worse/best example of this and admittly they ar enot as bad in this game.

I don't understand why we cant have a short race tha tisnt child like, so many games have done short races that didn't look like children.

on the other hand while I cant take them serusly I don't let it bother me as much cause at least they are not sexulised like in tera, I am playing and enjoying FF14 very much.

if the OP decide he dousnt want to play then that's his right I wont hold it aginst him, and can understand his reason for the most part.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can honestly say I don't have a anime-phobeia, in fact I luv me anime. on the other hand I agree with the OP on this I HATE child like race in MMOs, TERA was the worse/best example of this and admittly they ar enot as bad in this game.

I don't understand why we cant have a short race tha tisnt child like, so many games have done short races that didn't look like children.

on the other hand while I cant take them serusly I don't let it bother me as much cause at least they are not sexulised like in tera, I am playing and enjoying FF14 very much.

if the OP decide he dousnt want to play then that's his right I wont hold it aginst him, and can understand his reason for the most part.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Terranah
    Maybe there are kids playing and they want to play a child like character.  Why force a kid to play a grown up character if they aren't grown up?Some people like to role play to escape reality for awhile using something we used to refer to in the old days as imagination.Do all avatars have to have big bulging muscles or giant breasts and little waists
    That's fine and dandy. Can the OP say he doesn't like them, personally, and be echoed by others with the same tastes? Iselin did not say they needed to change a thing. Neither am I. Just saying it is not our cup of tea. Or is that a bad thing, too?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Terranah

Some people like to role play to escape reality for awhile using something we used to refer to in the old days as imagination.

Do all avatars have to have big bulging muscles or giant breasts and little waists?

Oh the imagination card...what imagination is needed for something already materialized? The setting, tone and experience is tailored for you in a game like this.

(red) Who said anything about wanting any of that in this thread?

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Distopia

I'm right there with ya OP, the game-play and systems are good in the game, some of the visuals are great, but where it falls flat for me is the whimsical cuteness.

Definitely not a case of Anime-phobia for me, I like a lot of anime, just not the type that features this type of look.

Death-Note, Akira, Ghost in the shell, Blood: The last Vampire, Demon city Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll and it's spin offs, Vampire Hunter D, The highlander Anime Movie, etc, huge fan of these movies/shows.

Some of those I haven't seen.  I put them in my Netflix list. Thanks for the tips.

I'm really easy to please.  I like most all of it but the most disturbing stories.  I can handle a lot but sometimes too much supernatural gore doesn't appeal to me.

I can watch Vampire Princess Miyu, VH: D, alongside anything Miyazaki, yu-gi-oh, and Avatar Air Bender is probably my favorite.  I would love to play a high class mmo that was based on bending.

Anyway, I love FF anime style as much as I do the darker stuff.  Going back to my favorite console games include Breath of Fire series, Chrono Cross, FF, Legend of the Dragoons and Parasite Eve.  Consoles are where FFXIV draws from, along with games like Tera, and many of the Asian F2P games.  I love that stuff.

I'd recommend the highlander anime first if you haven't seen it, it's a great movie, The death note series is really good, if you want it in short form, they've done a few animated movies that scale it all down into just a few sittings.

Oh and if you like anime and have yet to watch Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D, you're doing it wrong :p.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Juaks

I hate gnomes and it didn't stop me playing WoW for years.

It seems to me OP has anime phobia. Does not have to do with age at all. It's all about tastes. I am 39 and love anime and eastern art style.  Games like FF and TERA are very pleasant to my eyes.

Anime Phobia = raised in the Western World where the culture pushes adults to adult tastes. Big eyes, bright colors, little bodies is a visual recipe for child-appealing content. If you like it that's fine, but there are reasons why others do not like it.

It's funny that you think that anime is a "recipe for child-appealing content" because most of anime target an older audience.

They are often sophisticated, sometimes violent and frequently have adult themes, they develop complex stories including love, growing up and female empowerment.

And FYI the big eyes were inspired by the exaggerated features of American cartoon characters such as Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse and Bambi. This feature was taken because allowed characters to show emotions.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I could hardly deal with the small race (lalafell) back in 1.0 and did my best to ignore them. The thing that got me to just log off shocked two days ago is this:

I couldn't yet force myself to log back in and am not even sure that I will keep playing at this point...

I fully understand you OP. Guess it's back to Skyrim and Dark Souls for me until the next "hit"...

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

Originally posted by sudo

I could hardly deal with the small race (lalafell) back in 1.0 and did my best to ignore them. The thing that got me to just log off shocked two days ago is this:

I couldn't yet force myself to log back in and am not even sure that I will keep playing at this point...

I fully understand you OP. Guess it's back to Skyrim and Dark Souls for me until the next "hit"...

Heh, what am I looking at? The girl in boxer briefs, or the unicorn?

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Big ass Roegadyn on a unicorn...

Immersion = broken.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    OP just doesn't like eastern take on fantasy. its fine. for some people once you have a set way of thinking or image of how a setting should be, there is no way out of it. personally i was able to adapt well to both western and eastern fantasy. but for lets say star wars franchise, its hard for me to swallow anything that george lucas shat out after the 80s... just too different from what my perception of how things should be. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    I have always loved anime and I have no problems with child -like avatars. I have never thankfully been uncomfortable about them.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by sudo

Big ass Roegadyn on a unicorn...

Immersion = broken.

How so?  Unicorn simply signifies white mage nothing to do with race.