Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an MMO that is serious

Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I have to tell you of late I find that MMOs are becoming, in general, more and more fluffy bunny in their style.  They seem to cater for the general feel good items and seldom if ever seem to take themselves seriously.

I am looking for a lore rich MMO that I serious about it's game world. One where you do not see disco pants and dancing pig companions. One that is lore strong and keeps any extra material lore strong as well.

Does such an MMO exist?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Mopar63
    I have to tell you of late I find that MMOs are becoming, in general, more and more fluffy bunny in their style.  They seem to cater for the general feel good items and seldom if ever seem to take themselves seriously.

I am looking for a lore rich MMO that I serious about it's game world. One where you do not see disco pants and dancing pig companions. One that is lore strong and keeps any extra material lore strong as well.

Does such an MMO exist?

Eve Online

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is your game if you can deal with the FFA full loot PVP. The lore is created by the players as history progresses on the server, alliances are built and broken. Friends become enemies.  In this world, the enemies I am looking to destroy are real players, not some mob in a made up story by the developers. I do still enjoy the PVE also.
  • NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Age of Conan comes to mind. One of the better MMO's in general IMO. 

Maybe even The Secret World? I don't have much experience with this one so not sure.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I can only think of only one AAA mmo that cares about its lore enough to not add fluffy bunny pickachoo content:

Lord of The Rings Online.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• marsmercermarsmercer Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Warhammer Online, Vanguard, LoTRO, Darkfall Unholy Wars are a few that come to mind. People would argue their viability, but they still have a core of diehard subscribers.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I have to agree with the folks above - EVE and LoTRO are the two that come to mind right away.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I've felt the same way, OP.  I am hoping that ESO will be a fairly serious MMO.  Some of the suggestions above like Vanguard are good, but I'm hoping ESO will be the next big MMO with a serious tone.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Agree with all of the above but even EVE steps out on rare occasion, as evidenced by the seasonal addition of "snowball" launchers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Does such an MMO exist?

Lore? Looking for a touch of roleplay from your RPG?

You may be out of luck; it's gone out of style with modern designers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Naowut

Maybe even The Secret World? I don't have much experience with this one so not sure.

A necromancer can run with all pets out through Cimmeria.  Anyone who read the books knows this man would be killed on the spot and the ashes of his body cast to the 4 winds.  

Since they called this the Age of Conan, this means they aren't remotely serious about game lore.  Priests of Mitra can group with the enemies of mankind, i.e., Priests of Set and kill their own.  Nothing serious or intelligent about this at all.  They sould have called the game inspired by stories similar to the Conan world. 

Luckily for them, they banked on the fact that most gamers who play the game probably don't read the novels.

Originally posted by sudo

I can only think of only one AAA mmo that cares about its lore enough to not add fluffy bunny pickachoo content:

But Bob the Dwarf can become a spider and play in the Ettenmoors against his guild mates, then after the E-Sport is over with, he can become Bob the Dwarf once more.  Had their at least been 2 factions in LoTRO (and it should have had third if you could the undead and or some of the other races of men), then this title would have still had a subscription model.

Honestly - it should have had three factions.  Turbine is a lot like Sony in this, however, where PvP is a very confusing concept. 

Originally posted by wrekognize
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is your game if you can deal with the FFA full loot PVP. The lore is created by the players as history progresses on the server, alliances are built and broken. Friends become enemies.  In this world, the enemies I am looking to destroy are real players, not some mob in a made up story by the developers. I do still enjoy the PVE also.

Filled with hacks and cheats, very generic armor and if you look at a "battlefield" in general, it looks like the same people are killing themselves.  So really nothing too serious here other than a very basic kill a red target game with full loot.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

It totally depends on the player. Some games could indeed have better  lore but in the end it all is about how someone wants to play a game.

But unfortunaly to many people these day's rely only on what developers aka the game tells them to do.

I still feel MMORPG's are the more virtual world type of games and in real life you also have to deal with things you might not consider fun or serious enough luckely we humans are able to filter out what we don't like and enjoy the parts we do like.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

There are a ton of games if you look for them.  Every games seems to have some sort of silliness often around holiday events, but most of these are very light on those fantasy elements that offend your sensitivities:

Age of Conan

EVE

Lord of the Rings Online:  There are some silly and outlandish elements in the game but they are mostly seasonal / event related

Ryzom

Darkfall

The Secret World:  There are some non-serious elements in cosmetic attire, but nothing that isn't lore appropriate for modern earth

Star Trek Online: Again there are some outlandish elements in the game, but nothing really inappropriate for the IP

There are a ton more if you just take the time to look for them.  Almost every game has some sort of silly, outlandish, or comical element because that is part of reality too.

Secret World goes from a PvP E-Sport back to a pve grinder where all three factions CAN GROUP.  So it's like, hey, I just killed you, wanna go run a mission?

Nothing serious here at all.

Note:  I've seen people put in some attempts at pointing out something serious in the industry, but all I see are very lackluster F2P games.  I'd personally suggest Dark Age of Camelot, but they are so aged at this point that I'm not sure if the only quality PvP game in the history of mmorpgs can be taken seriously anymore either.  Plus, the handful of folks keeping the server on don't sem to care about the bot groups farming dragons and parts of Epic raid dungeons, or Tault Unleashed radar hacks, etc.

I hate to say it, if you want a game that takes itself seriously you might just want to play chess or at least wait until ESO or Camelot Unchaned releases in the far future.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Originally posted by Nitth

Does such an MMO exist?

Eve Online

What he said.  EVE is about as serious as it gets for a MMO

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    they can all group in TSW cause there is a greater evil to fight. Which falls into lore of the game if you bothered to read it?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Elder Scrolls Online
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gorwe

All of the following. They often have some lore issues, but what the hell:

AoC

EvE

LoTR:O

WAR

(ESO in the future)

Those are my recommendations. Enjoy!

I don't know anything about ESO, but I'd second the rest of that list.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Fallen Earth

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    EVE or if you want more of themepark FFXIV.  They do accents and everything.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by sudo

But Bob the Dwarf can become a spider and play in the Ettenmoors against his guild mates, then after the E-Sport is over with, he can become Bob the Dwarf once more.  Had their at least been 2 factions in LoTRO (and it should have had third if you could the undead and or some of the other races of men), then this title would have still had a subscription model.

Honestly - it should have had three factions.  Turbine is a lot like Sony in this, however, where PvP is a very confusing concept. 

Even in the early stages of beta, Turbine was very clear that LOTRO did not have PvP. What you describe is branded as Monster vs. Player, which was their answer to anyone looking for some non-PvE content. I find absolutely nothing wrong with their game design concept to not have PvP. Not every game needs to have all the same ingredients.

That said, there's plenty of fluffy bunny pickachoo content. Maybe it's not as overt as other games, but it's there with some of the costumes, horses, events, etc.

And THAT said... I still like the game after all these years and am looking forward to the next expansion for Helm's Deep.

But if the OP is looking for "serious", I'd say that Eve Online is the most serious I've played ever. Age of Wushu seems pretty serious in its own way. The Secret World? From top to bottom, that game feels like it's own beast altogether. That's a good thing.

• XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124
    i'd prolly half to suggest the same thing t hat pretty much everyone here has, Lord of the Rings: Online , WAR , EVE , only real decent games around right now until these new ones finally come around to hitting the shelfs..... or you can go with some Free To Play games to tide you over till you find a game that you really like.....my 2 cents..

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    It's really sad that anytime someone asks for a game other than the current themepark crap, the only thing we can point to is EVE.  EVE is great if the style and theme appeal to you.  For many, it does not.  We need more viable themepark alternatives and fast.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Naowut

A necromancer can run with all pets out through Cimmeria.  Anyone who read the books knows this man would be killed on the spot and the ashes of his body cast to the 4 winds.  

Since they called this the Age of Conan, this means they aren't remotely serious about game lore.  Priests of Mitra can group with the enemies of mankind, i.e., Priests of Set and kill their own.  Nothing serious or intelligent about this at all.  They sould have called the game inspired by stories similar to the Conan world. 

Luckily for them, they banked on the fact that most gamers who play the game probably don't read the novels.

How would you propose a proper implementation in an MMO environment? A pet mechanic (that does fit lore) being available at all times is expected in a game.

The Priest's of Mitra, and of set thing is based on a design decision that was chosen due to a big part of REH lore, there were plenty of Stygians, Vanir, Aquilonions, Shemites, Kushites, Argossians, Zingarians, etc..etc.etc.. That travelled to far away lands, and banded with far away peoples. A hard coded faction system would have been a far more lore breaking thing.

Also originally there was a faction (probably for people just like you) PVP server, it disappeared along with many others.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Does such an MMO exist?

The Secret World.

You want a game world where the designers keep things internally consistent, take the lore, the characters, the stories, etc seriously... Or if you want a game where the developers/designers respect the intelligence of their players and don't coddle them through every little thing, or a game with a very wide-open character development system... TSW is a great choice.