Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next PAX personal Q&A

xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78

Hi folks.  I wanted to write to you all the tidbits I found out about Everquest Next by asking several questions of the dev team and attending SEVERAL of their mini-presentations and the mmorpg.com panel.  The dev's, btw, are EXTREMEMY nice and I made sure to thank them profusely for all their hard work and dedication.  Also this list is just from memory, I cannot promise I remember or heard everything completely accurate, but I'll do my best.

First and foremost I asked them about playing a single class.  I told them that since EQNext doesn't really have any sort of vertical leveling system to speak of (which they seem strangely silent about all of a sudden), most gamers have concluded that a large part of the game would be going out into the world and acquiring all the different classes and then further acquiring a bunch of different skills and abilities for these classes, which we can then mix and match into our own personal multi-classed preference.  They agreed that this was an important aspect of the game. 

SO.  I then asked what about the large player group that comes from EQ1 and EQ2 of old, that probably has little interest in multi-classing and wants to stick with a "purist" class or role.  I was told that this subject is a top priority, to make sure EVERY class was completely interesting and compelling on its own and I was assured that the game would be just as fulfilling to a single-class player.  They said they realize they would ostracize a large part of their fan base if single classes weren't just as exciting as multi-classes.

I then asked, for example, if I started the game as a Shaman and ONLY wanted to be a Shaman, would I have a greater array of spells and skills then a small initial handful and could more be acquired.  They claimed the answer was yes, though, they stressed it would not be as large an array as seen in prior games and I wouldn't have a "90 spell hot bar." 

For the Shaman in me, I asked if "warding" was in the game, and to my surprise, they practically didn't know what I was talking about.  I had to explain it was blocking damage as oppose to healing hit points.  They sort of felt like this "mechanic" was in the game but had nothing specific to say.

Now is the strange part, and I COULD be mistaken.  But I did ask twice and was clear as could be.  They verified that the first 4 skills on the hot bar are indicated by your CLASS and WEAPON.  We knew this.  Each of the 40 classes will have 2 weapon sets to chose from and of course there may be repeats like "sword" and "dagger" but a rogue's dagger set will be different than an assassin's, etc (note: they did not use the example rogue and assassin).

BUT - I was told TWICE, that the second set of 4 skills on the hot bar are NOT, in fact, dictated by class, only the hot bar "template" is.  The actual abilities are purely pulled from the multi-class system and it will be up to the players to determine what set of skills they want for those 4 slots.  Now, these skills ARE set up as a template, determined by class.  For example, a rogue will have his first 4 abilities dictated by his weapon, and the next 4 abilities MUST follow the rogue template, which may be 1 offensive 1 offensive 1 movement and 1 movement (I was actually given this example).  So this rogue can pick from movement or offensive abilities (though Im not sure if there are any other restrictions) but as a rogue, cannot have any defensive or utility spells AT ALL.  Until they change their class, which according to the dev's, hasn't been decided yet on how to do, for example, do you just push a button, or talk to a trainer, or go on a quest to change class, etc.  What weapons you are holding DO NOT determine your class but your class DOES determine the weapons you can use and the skills they are associated with.

I was told that if I love Shaman, it is possible to pursue a traditional  "slow" and other hallmark shamanistic spells and slot them into my second 4 skill set, but that "slow" itself is not a shaman-specific spell.  Any class could use "slow" as long as it is within their template (I imagine utility?). 

I overheard a little bit about races and how they are very aware that everyone has their own favorites and how the Everquest franchise has fleshed out quite a few.  They said whatever may not make it into launch will certainly be fair game for future content.

They CONFIRMED that Kerran are a CAT race, and do not have to be lions.  There will be Kerran's that look much more like tigers, or cougars, or panthers, or cheetah's etc.  At least I THINK they mentioned all those cats, it was a pretty big list.

Dave at the mmorpg panel talked again about how roles ARE important, such as having "the big guys" stand between the mob and the "little guys" but that roles can be fulfilled in different ways, not purely with just a trinity set up.

I asked them what happened about a year or two ago when the dev's said very specifically that EQNext would reduce the number of classes and would be much closer to EQ1 than the giant amount in EQ2.  They said simply that that game had been scrapped and the new game follows a new path.  They didn't want to create the same old thing.

I hope you folks found this at least a bit informative, I can try to ask more questions over the next few days if you have any and that they will answer.  :)  As far as I know I am not breaking any rules?

Comments

• xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

I hope you folks found this at least a bit informative, I can try to ask more questions over the next few days if you have any and that they will answer.  :)  As far as I know I am not breaking any rules?

thank you

i guess the EQ1 slow mechanic will be in EQN -- EQ2 had no slow

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Thanks for asking. But truth is, all of your information was already available, either during the class panel, QAs or interviews.

Maybe you can ask about vertical progression specifically, and if you do slightly progress, either with HP/Dmg, or skills.

Another one would be to ask about specific roles, if they are in some form available.. like a Crowd Control Class, or a Debuffing class or a class with heals, or about Heals generally.

i have a question for Op

at SOE Live, they said support classes will be recognized and rewarded

source

http://www.eqnexus.com/forums/threads/class-system.517/

8-3-13 – 16:16 in above video

Yes. It absolutely will. These guys have come up with some great ideas on just how we can recognize and reward that sort of support and those roles in combat and non-combat situations.

if I do poor damage but debuff the mob and/or crowd control

how could that be recognized for rewarding experience?

- slowing   (seems to be a confirmed skill)

- lowering magic resistance

- lowering stats

- power drain

back in 2001,

DAOC had an experience system that rewarded players based on the damage they did or heals performed

I played a support role, albion sorcerer ..  similar to EQ1 enchanter

http://camelot.allakhazam.com/db/class.html?realm=Albion;cclass=13

and noticed i was getting less experience than direct damage classes, while playing in a group

How does EQN plan to reward experience for class roles who's primary function is not direct damage?

is it just going to be shared group experience?  or is there going to an experience system for individual contribution too?

SOE will probably say can't talk about this yet but who knows.. maybe they will

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It occurs to me that they are taking a bigger risk than they anticipate here. EQ is a FRANCHISE. They completely scrapped a game that attempted to evolve  the old EQ system because it felt like the same old thing, in their words. That was a failure on their part in being unable to work up something new with clear roots in the original that was fun and innovative yet still EQ. Its like a writer for a sitcom suddenly turning in a script for another show because they were uninspired. They have tacked the franchise name onto a game that is something else. History in entertainment teaches us that is a recipe for failure. You build a franchise by appealing to its core fans who will draw in new fans and if you alienate them you lose. This is even true cross media with franchises like Star Trek where Enterprise mocked its fan base only to fail and then be rebooted successfully by Abrams who cloned TOS with new twists. I am not saying this game will fail but they have two clear marks against them based on proven industry precedent already to overcome. Time will tell.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Thanks for this.  Most of the class stuff was already known from the reveal.   I really wish that they would clearly say if each class gets more than 4 character skills or if each class is basically made up of 8 weapon + 4 character and if you want more than 4 you have to multiclass.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Good questions, the answers are a bit so-so :)

So let me get this straight... instead of endgame needing tanks, dps, healers, and crowd control, which we were told were out (they didn't want to rely on anyone in particular), we will now have to rely on "big guys" and "little guys"? That is Aye Owe Kay. Sorry but I got a feeling they are trying to find a way out of things that they feel uncomfortable about.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Thanks for posting this!

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Mightyking

Good questions, the answers are a bit so-so :)

So let me get this straight... instead of endgame needing tanks, dps, healers, and crowd control, which we were told were out (they didn't want to rely on anyone in particular), we will now have to rely on "big guys" and "little guys"? That is Aye Owe Kay. Sorry but I got a feeling they are trying to find a way out of things that they feel uncomfortable about.

Yeah, i think they were just trying to avoid saying "tank" because "tank" is immediately associated with threat/hate generation.  By the sound of it, the game will still have "tanking" but in a more positional / defensive sense rather than in an aggro-generation sense.   I could be wrong though. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GnostikGnostik Member Posts: 47
    Thank you for your time and effort, but I'm struggling to figure out how someone gets to talk to the dev's live and in person yet clearly hasn't watched the Class Panel video....
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Anyone have any actual links to transcripts or video of the PAX: Prime event? 
  • GnostikGnostik Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Kyllien

There's an interview with Terry up on reddit, but there's no new info. It seems the only thing new so far is the art.

There are no real video's or transcripts, though there are a few screen shots of new stuff, like dark elves and dwarves.

See, I was very much under the impression that the first 4 skill slots were determined by weapon and the next 4 slots were purely class based skills.  For example, if I was a shaman, my second 4 skill slots would be shaman spells, MADE for shaman.  And then other classes could ACQUIRE Shaman, and get assess to those SHAMAN skills if they wanted.  But this is not the case.

I remember one other tidbit.  One of the dev's said that dark elves have horns in EQNext because . . . and the other dev was like DON'T DO IT!  DON'T GO THERE (as if to say it's still not meant to be revealed) but he finished his sentence by saying "Dragons, anyone?"

Also, I remember something else.  I overhead one of the dev's mentioning how (at least it seemed to me) that EQNext would indeed pursue more modern setting fantasy roles, like the use of machines, guns, steampunk-ish stuff.  So I think we can expect to possibly see things like Engineer, Ninja, Pirate classes, sort of like what they mentioned in the round table question.  I told them that I think EQ players will accept it if they see how cool it is and how fantasy-eque the style remains.  He told me that he agreed completely, so I THINK that means they are in???

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Wall of Text hits Elikal with 123123131546 crit. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

I remember one other tidbit.  One of the dev's said that dark elves have horns in EQNext because . . . and the other dev was like DON'T DO IT!  DON'T GO THERE (as if to say it's still not meant to be revealed) but he finished his sentence by saying "Dragons, anyone?"

that much has been revealed weeks ago

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/364984558459957248

Kimberly ?@Ejani 6 Aug
        @DaveGeorgeson Did you say in an interview that Dark Elves have dragon blood in them? I thought I saw them all but must have missed one :)
        Details

David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson
    @Ejani some common ancestral elements. Not blood. That story comes later. :)

lol aw I'm sorry.  I guess I'm not being very helpful.  I'm just in a PAX frenzy and thought I was hearing new stuff.  At least new stuff to me :)
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    lol aw I'm sorry.  I guess I'm not being very helpful.  I'm just in a PAX frenzy and thought I was hearing new stuff.  At least new stuff to me :)

Oh no, I was just making fun. Your text was very informative! Keep it going! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by DMKano

The answers further prove just how unfinished EQN is - smells like late 2015 release to me.

I was with you.   But I'm beginning to think 2016 might not be unrealistic.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

And if anyone was wondering who these mysterious dev's are I keep mentioning, I spoke to Terry Michaels and Omeed Dariani and they both couldn't be more excited and dedicated to this game.  I hope things like that make a difference.

They spoke a lot about Landmark, too.  A lot of stuff we already knew, like how players will be able to create stuff and sell them on the marketplace for a real cut of money from SOE.  Stuff that can be very simple to entire map's of content like a swamp land with a moat and castle.  One continent in EQNext will be dedicated to JUST this sort of Landmark stuff. 

They also talked more about the Landmark contests they will have.  They used an example how they may challenge Landmark players to create a certain place or city or structure and after 30 days, whoever created the best one, will become the OFFICIAL EQNext place, city, or structure etc. 

The tidbit I found interesting was that they said they would give the players all of the creative team's concept art and designs and that it will have to fit that theme.

One continent in EQNext will be dedicated to JUST this sort of Landmark stuff.

seeing this and also slow being a skill in EQN

are both newsworthy to me - thank you

Originally posted by Gnostik
    Originally posted by Kyllien

There's an interview with Terry up on reddit, but there's no new info. It seems the only thing new so far is the art.

Sweet and per Terry Michaels Twitch will be streaming tonight's session. He said tune in at 7pm (I assume PDT since it is in Seattle). 

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    It occurs to me that they are taking a bigger risk than they anticipate here. EQ is a FRANCHISE. They completely scrapped a game that attempted to evolve  the old EQ system because it felt like the same old thing, in their words. That was a failure on their part in being unable to work up something new with clear roots in the original that was fun and innovative yet still EQ. Its like a writer for a sitcom suddenly turning in a script for another show because they were uninspired. They have tacked the franchise name onto a game that is something else. History in entertainment teaches us that is a recipe for failure. You build a franchise by appealing to its core fans who will draw in new fans and if you alienate them you lose. This is even true cross media with franchises like Star Trek where Enterprise mocked its fan base only to fail and then be rebooted successfully by Abrams who cloned TOS with new twists. I am not saying this game will fail but they have two clear marks against them based on proven industry precedent already to overcome. Time will tell.

I agree, especially seeing steampunk and guns might be in game. Where will they draw the line with keeping with lore and EQ franchise. It seems like they just want to throw in whatever they come across that might sell a few more boxes. I'm still interested as they have some good ideas, but almost everything new I hear takes it further from being EQ in anything but name.

One thing I'm curious about with landmark, have they announced the pricing model yet? I can't imagine it being F2P completely. Just wondering how they are going to make money on it.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by ropenice

I agree, especially seeing steampunk and guns might be in game. Where will they draw the line with keeping with lore and EQ franchise. It seems like they just want to throw in whatever they come across that might sell a few more boxes. I'm still interested as they have some good ideas, but almost everything new I hear takes it further from being EQ in anything but name.

One thing I'm curious about with landmark, have they announced the pricing model yet? I can't imagine it being F2P completely. Just wondering how they are going to make money on it.

According to them in almost every interview have said that both games will be F2P with no purchase at all needed. They have said that they hope alot of players will use the Player studio to make alot of there money back along with there non p2w cash shop but those will have to wait and see on.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Originally posted by nolic1
    Originally posted by ropenice

According to them in almost every interview have said that both games will be F2P with no purchase at all needed. They have said that they hope alot of players will use the Player studio to make alot of there money back along with there non p2w cash shop but those will have to wait and see on.

Don't forget SOE All-Access for those of us still playing EQ, EQ2, PS2, Vanguard, DCUO etc ...