Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New pictures from PAX Prime

SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

There are new pictures of EQN form the PAX Prime floating around.:

http://imgur.com/a/WwrYG

A first render of a Dark Elf was shown and new colored concept art for the dwarfs, including female beards.

It is pretty much what I expected. The Dark Elf looks not really dark or sinister but like a pretty boy. The dwarfs look kind of ok considering the art style. At least it was not another WTF-moment like the reveal of the Kerra.

Comments

• GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 179

Looks as though someone at Sony admired Avatar!

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Yikes, I just had flashbacks of the old Dungeons and Dragons Saturday morning cartoon series. That's what most of the art style reminds me of, Saturday morning cartoons.
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Looks great. I personally love the art direction.
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

You have seen one picture and now you have ALL the answers. All Elves are "pretty" that's one of their qualities that makes them playable by some people. I , on the other hand, play Dwarfs, if they are offered. I always have and always will. They are rugged, funny, tough, stubborn, less talk more action type.

Those screens, of Dwarfs, look like a cross between WoW and Warhammer online. That is a great thing. I love the art style of this game. If at worse EQNEXT is GW2 with Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, Ogres et. Then it will be an awesome game. I can't wait till release and I, for one, hope it comes to consoles. I miss EQOA and this is the closest we will ever get.

Oh I forgot, thanks for the pics . You rock!

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    those actual ingame avatars or concept? dwarves look very concept art to me
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    So Drizzt Do'urden is a pretty boy and hes prolly the most popular dark elf in fantasy fiction.  But you act like thats going to be the only face for male dark elves and there wont be any customization.  They only show pretty characters to the public right now because most people in the world like their fictional heroes to be pretty.
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Grymmoire

Looks as though someone at Sony admired Avatar!

When I first glanced at that picture of the Dark Elf in the OP, I thought it was concept art from Avatar!  They would have to try really hard to get any closer to Avatar.  I wonder if that was their intention?

I like how the dwarfs look.  I don't mind the Kerra (I actually prefer the new Kerra over the versions from EQ and EQ2).  Just about anything they do with EQN graphically will be an improvement over EQ and EQ2.  They could make the Fae look like sparkly cartoon turds with wings, and it would still look better than EQ2!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The art style on the elf reminds me a lot of The Clone Wars with the squared off cheek bones and shape of the nose.

I like the Dwarven concept art though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    I sincerely hope I can make my dark elf darker than that =/
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Uncanny resemblance to avatar. My first thought as well.

Even the hair braid looks similar!

But, I do think that dark elf looks alright... Better than Simba the Lion did.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

Yes, elves are supposed to be pretty but Dark elves are also supposed to be dark. I don’t know much about Everquest lore, but aren’t Dark elves the prototypical evil and sinister race in Everquest? This time the even gave them horns.

It is not that hard to make a character look pretty and sinister at the same time. The designers could have done that if they wanted. But this one really looks a lot like Avatar and he also reminds me a bit of Robert Pattinson, so maybe Edward Cullen is their definition of a sinister character.

As I always say, of course there will be other options and it could be that this one is not typical for the look of the whole Dark Elf race. But why is this the first picture they have shown us of this race? Do they want to mislead us on the look of the Dark Elves?

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    love it! and female dwarves with beard? wow! i really hope it survives.
    Originally posted by gigat
    ... Just about anything they do with EQN graphically will be an improvement over EQ and EQ2.  They could make the Fae look like sparkly cartoon turds with wings, and it would still look better than EQ2!

It is not really hard to beat EQ2s graphics. They didn’t even look that good in 2004 even though they ate up a lot of system resources.

Yes EQN looks different, but if you ask me it’s only a different kind of bad. You have to consider that this time they had all the freedom they could have. There are almost no restrictions on the technical side anymore and 3D character design has come a long way since 2004. They had a million of art styles to choose from. They looked at it all and then they chose one that closely resembles The Clone Wars.  

The bad thing is that graphics set the tone for the whole game. If you choose the art style of The Clone Wars, you are also in for the kind of storytelling from The Clone Wars and a casual kind of game.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by JaggaSpikes

This was my happy thought. I love me a bearded lady. It doesn't feel dwarfy unless she has a beard.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

The art style didn't really bother me until now. 

Can't believe they would even show that to people lol.

Originally posted by JaggaSpikes

I have no problem with the bearded females too. Some people seem to be really into it, so why not let them have it, although it kind of creeps me out.

What seems strange to me is, that otherwise they seem to be on a strict no-uggos-policy. A while ago I heard that there will be no fat ogers and trolls in EQN. No fat chicks - but bring on the bearded ladies. :D

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Sengi

Yes, elves are supposed to be pretty but Dark elves are also supposed to be dark. I don’t know much about Everquest lore, but aren’t Dark elves the prototypical evil and sinister race in Everquest? This time the even gave them horns.

It is not that hard to make a character look pretty and sinister at the same time. The designers could have done that if they wanted. But this one really looks a lot like Avatar and he also reminds me a bit of Robert Pattinson, so maybe Edward Cullen is their definition of a sinister character.

As I always say, of course there will be other options and it could be that this one is not typical for the look of the whole Dark Elf race. But why is this the first picture they have shown us of this race? Do they want to mislead us on the look of the Dark Elves?

DE were evil in EQ. This is EQN and with that the concept of good/evil isn't the same. DE are less "evil" and more warriorish. Believe the horns have something to do with having dragon's blood. As we can see with the Ogre concept art, they too are more clan/warriorish and less evil.

Don't doubt an Elf next to a Dark Elf will have one looking a bit more sinister but not how EQ does it.

Clone Wars appealed to adults and children. Wouldn't doubt if we see Sony Pictures producing a similar EQN based show in the not so distant future. While not the art style for everyone, it is pretty nice looking for what it is.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Sengi
    Originally posted by gigat
    ... Just about anything they do with EQN graphically will be an improvement over EQ and EQ2.  They could make the Fae look like sparkly cartoon turds with wings, and it would still look better than EQ2!

It is not really hard to beat EQ2s graphics. They didn’t even look that good in 2004 even though they ate up a lot of system resources.

Yes EQN looks different, but if you ask me it’s only a different kind of bad. You have to consider that this time they had all the freedom they could have. There are almost no restrictions on the technical side anymore and 3D character design has come a long way since 2004. They had a million of art styles to choose from. They looked at it all and then they chose one that closely resembles The Clone Wars.  

The bad thing is that graphics set the tone for the whole game. If you choose the art style of The Clone Wars, you are also in for the kind of storytelling from The Clone Wars and a casual kind of game.

In EQN lore they are good guys if you read the story.  They have horns because they have dragon blood in them.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the dwarves appear to be wearing cloth, leather, plate. Maybe only 3 types of armor? No scale, chain or other in-between types.

Also for a point of reference for those that may be unfamiliar with EQ/EQ2 Dark Elves and how "evil" they looked...

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Well my fears of everyone going over to the evil races en masse have evaporated.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

I really like the dwarf females.  I may even make my main this  without the beard.  They appear warlike, intelligent, cunning with something brewing.  They are also attractive.  However, they are a bit young looking. 

I feel like the delf are missing something.  They looked a little to young was of major issues.  If they can have more of a mature look I would be happy.  But he look like he barely hit puberty and has some living to do before he would be fighting in a battle.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I really enjoyed the art stylings of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon series when I was growing up. And my favorite movie of all time just about, is Avatar. So if this is the direction of the EQ Next it sounds like they hit the sweet spot between fantastic and awsome.

WAY TO GO art team!!!!   :)

Originally posted by Allein

DE were evil in EQ. This is EQN and with that the concept of good/evil isn't the same. DE are less "evil" and more warriorish. Believe the horns have something to do with having dragon's blood. As we can see with the Ogre concept art, they too are more clan/warriorish and less evil.

Don't doubt an Elf next to a Dark Elf will have one looking a bit more sinister but not how EQ does it.

Clone Wars appealed to adults and children. Wouldn't doubt if we see Sony Pictures producing a similar EQN based show in the not so distant future. While not the art style for everyone, it is pretty nice looking for what it is.

I see, dark elves are now romulans and ogres are klingons.

Yes maybe this kind of art is right from a marketing standpoint. But if they aim too much for the casual crowd while not bothering to alienate their core fanbase, they are setting up the game to be a one hit wonder like many mmos in the past where. What has made the EQ franchise great is it very loyal fanbase that stayed with the franchise for 14 years. EQN may be a really great and innovative game, but they can’t expect to acquire hat kind of a loyal fanbase a second time, once they lost it.

It may be true, that SOE only cares about the money and they have the right to do that, but at least from gamer’s as well as a designer’s standpoint there is more to games then just the money. EQN will certainly take its place in the history in video games, but certainly not because of its character art.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t what to compare EQN with The Clone Wars in any way (except the character design unfortunately).

There is probably no piece of fiction that I hate with more fervour then The Clone Wars, because it’s like a scavenger feeding on the rotting cadaver of the once great Star Wars franchise. It takes what was left of Star Wars after the prequels and dubs it down even more so squeeze the last penny out of it. Sure it has sold a lot of toys, but I would want EQN to be distanced from that thing as far as possible.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This will be the greatest kids game ever. The cash shop should have song emotes like: "Backpack Backpack," and "Norrath Map Norrath Map Norrath Map Norrath Map!"

They will make bank.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Starting to think EQN art team has no originality.  They have to use Avatar look-alikes for dark elves?  Lion king for Kerran?  I mean seriously.  I don't like how dark elves look, and I thought that was one race where they couldn't mess up.  SOE is so desperate to attract mass audience they have no problem creating these look alikes.  That's just sad.

As for dwarves, concept art looks good, but concept arts don't ever look like ingame art.  So I see how they try to woo people by showing the dwarves concept art at the same time showing the butt ugly dark elves.

The more I see from this game, the more I'm looking elsewhere.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO