Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Can Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth?

2»

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

MMO developers should listen to player feedback but NEVER EVER let the players make decisions.

If you want proof then look at WoW. Blizzard enacted many changes based on player feedback, very notable being 5-man dungeon difficulty.

First, players said the heroic dungeons were too hard in TBC.

So, they nerfed them in WotLK. Then, the players complained they were too easy.

So, the buffed them in Cataclysm. Which led to more complaints.

Then, they nerfed them again MoP.

Blizzard should have just kept the heroic dungeons where they were and made the game how they wanted, not what they think the players want based on polls or forums.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Smedley just reduced the  the "cook" population significantly.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Jesus, I've agreed with the EQ community up until this point. Contested content yea or nay? Is that their clever way of saying, how much stuff should be instanced? You can have public areas that aren't fought over constantly, just use good game design.

If there is any instancing in this game I will lose faith with the devs.

I took that to mean PvP areas.

• Northernlight454Northernlight454 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Drakephire

Jesus, I've agreed with the EQ community up until this point. Contested content yea or nay? Is that their clever way of saying, how much stuff should be instanced? You can have public areas that aren't fought over constantly, just use good game design.

I took that to mean PvP areas

Instances  means a specific loaded area that only your group enters over traditional Everquest massive world interaction.

• BuddhaskyBuddhasky Member Posts: 1

[quote]

What do you think of the EverQuest Next idea of round table discussions? Good idea? Not so hot? Let us know in the commments.

[/quote]

I don't know, we should probably discuss it at a ROUND TABLE.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Northernlight454

Instances  means a specific loaded area that only your group enters over traditional Everquest massive world interaction.

We know what instances are. We're talking about the poll question where they ask how much content should be contested.

I feel like that is their sly way of saying "How much of the world should be instanced" since many people consider multiple people using the same dungeon to be a "contested dungeon".

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

We know what instances are. We're talking about the poll question where they ask how much content should be contested.

I feel like that is their sly way of saying "How much of the world should be instanced" since many people consider multiple people using the same dungeon to be a "contested dungeon".

Yes, that's what they are asking.  Should there be open world dungeons like EQ1 launched with (Guk, and Nagafen's Lair) or should it be locked to a group or raid (like WoW used mostly, or LDoN and Gates of Discord + content in EQ).  Should their be competition over scare NPC mobs, or does everyone get their own?

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

ha, you may be right. It didn't even cross my mind really that an open pve world could be considered 'contested'. To me, it could only be contested if a PvP faction had control of it. <shrug>

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Every MMO is great in theory and at least a year before launch......
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by grimfall

Yes, that's what they are asking.  Should there be open world dungeons like EQ1 launched with (Guk, and Nagafen's Lair) or should it be locked to a group or raid (like WoW used mostly, or LDoN and Gates of Discord + content in EQ).  Should their be competition over scare NPC mobs, or does everyone get their own?

How about the much more logical design of... theres an abundance of NPCs and we all get to play in the same area sharing them?

Instances have no place in well designed MMOs, but it seems like EQ just can't move on from the idea of "its either instancing or camping!'

• rapid1rapid1 Member Posts: 18

This question needs to be asked by anyone regarding anything by SONY after VANGUARD REALLY! I was in Alpha and beta for the game and it was ruined by the same thing entirely they started dumbing down and making it easy etc etc  and ruined it completely! 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

You are looking at this completely wrong. We aren't cooks designing the game, we are taste testers giving feedback. If all of us tell them the food needs more salt they can retry it again and decide for themselves if they agree with us.

Of course a game shouldn't be designed by the polls. However when they ask something like which is your favorite small race and they know that they can only fit a few of them in at release then yeah, letting the players decide makes a bunch of sense. When they ask about the death penalty they might be torn between repair bill, xp surcharge that you can earn back and flat XP loss and the polls can help them decide which direction to go.

As for the person who compared this game to GW2's dynamic quests, you need to completely look again at what they are saying this game will be. Those two things are absolutely nothing alike.

The way they allow you to have multiple classes suggest that you won't need a specific class because most characters will be able to class swap and fill whatever role you need from them. Not sure I think that is the best path to take but it suggests to me that you will have roles, otherwise why bother letting us have a bunch of classes.

Finally we come to Vanguard. That game was dead on arrival and not because they dumbed things down. Vanguard was a broken pile of junk from the moment I started beta. They just had way too many technical problems.

• RoxtenRoxten Member Posts: 5
    I read somewhere that players testing Elder Scrolls Online actually saved it  from becoming a WoW clone,so yes,player feedback  does matter, at least for MMO's.