Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: At what level does the game become fun?

zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

Greetings,

I'm not here to attack the game, I just want to see this game as everyone else seems to be. My wife and I played the game for a couple days over one of the open beta weekends. The story seemed ok, but the quests seem very boring and the combat lacking. The graphics seem very nice and I didn't have any performance problems running the game. I didn't like the heavily instanced beginning parts, so I open the world opens up a lot more later. Also, the invisible walls all over the place kind of drove me nuts, but that is something I can deal with if the overall game is fun.

Due to work, I couldn't play past level 10, but I didn't have more time to check it out. However, the game was very boring for both of us up to that level.

I know some games take time to get to the fun and interesting parts, but if the rest of the game is like the first 10 levels, then I would have to pass.  The game just seems very linear at the start and hope there are some open world elements. Three key components I look for in an MMO are adventure, exploration, and discovery.

I guess my main reason for this post is to help understand why this game is fun and am looking to be convinced into getting it.

Thank you for your time guys!

Comments

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    For me personally, after lvl 20 I started to love the game...before that it was fun but not so much lol
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I've had a blast from level 1 on a few different characters.  Just a matter of taste I presume. 

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    If a game isn't fun until a certain level... someone really goofed design.
     I've been here a while...
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I've had a blast from level 1 on a few different characters.  Just a matter of taste I presume. 

Agreed.

I can understand why people like it after 20 though. You suddenly get access to multiple class options as well as opening up your crafting, more guildleves, grand companies, mounts, etc.  Assuming you are following the main quest line, almost everything opens up in this game at 20.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

The game is a stripped down wow clone and once the newness wears off the fanboys will stop salivating so much.

I don't think it's any different at 20+.  The questing is still generic.  The fates are still zerg slaughters.  Public chat = barrens chat.  Idiot flagged d00ds abound.

The instance bosses are ok but the instances themselves overall are bland and uninteresting.  The questing is ultra simplistic/ultra generic.  But it's final fantasy!  Ok...even the story isn't presented all that well since cutscenes are simplistic and 75% or more lack VO.

Hopefully it does "open up" (it won't actually open up since PS3 can't handle real MMORPG zones or data) in some way.  More detailed dungeons and/or raids...or something.

Kinda doubt it does, but I'd love to be wrong.

It's fun to putz around with for a while, at least.

I'm playing with a couple of friends, one of which had a lot of FFXI experience and keeps saying the game is going to be amazing in the end.  I'm not so sure.

IMO it's SWTOR 2.0 in phenom except nowhere near as good a game.  It's more polished than SWTOR but it's as stripped down as it is polished.  The content is far less interesting, and all the polish in the world can't help that.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

I started enjoying it more when I left my starting area at level 15-16. Made a secondary class and had a blast having to focus more on FATEs as opposed to questing constantly. New area, fewer quests encouraged me to explore to find ways to level and seeing how beautiful the game looked, it was a joy. Still, it definitely gets better.. this game has by far the worst beginning of an MMO I've experience since I dared to trial FF11 all those years ago.

• SeneriusSenerius Member UncommonPosts: 76

depends on the player but I had fun at lvl 1

We all can only be who we are Nothing more nothing less.

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Well my hubby and I have been playing since the 27th and our toons are just shy of level 20. We have been having a blast the whole time and the story is just getting better, plus I appreciate getting more skills! I don't know, some people just don't like it others love it! Personal taste in playing style, etc I suppose...
  • zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

Thanks guys for your input. I'm still on the fence on whether or not the game is worth putting money into it. SWTOR left a bad taste in my mouth, along with many other games. The one game I played the most, was EQ2 believe it or not. Oddly, not my favorite one, but for some reason I played it for 7+ years.

Many games are very fun in the beginning levels, but the luster eventually fades and my wife and I end up feeling like we are working a second job, rather then playing an actual game. Its been many months and we are looking for that one GEM that will last more then 2-3 months.

I may end up just getting the game anyway...

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I would say at about 15.

At 15 you get access to your first dungeon and you've also got airship access and thus access to all 3 cities to port to, making it practical to access all classes freely.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Voqar

The game is a stripped down wow clone and once the newness wears off the fanboys will stop salivating so much.

I don't think it's any different at 20+.  The questing is still generic.  The fates are still zerg slaughters.  Public chat = barrens chat.  Idiot flagged d00ds abound.

The instance bosses are ok but the instances themselves overall are bland and uninteresting.  The questing is ultra simplistic/ultra generic.  But it's final fantasy!  Ok...even the story isn't presented all that well since cutscenes are simplistic and 75% or more lack VO.

Hopefully it does "open up" (it won't actually open up since PS3 can't handle real MMORPG zones or data) in some way.  More detailed dungeons and/or raids...or something.

I'm playing with a couple of friends, one of which had a lot of FFXI experience and keeps saying the game is going to be amazing in the end.  I'm not so sure.

IMO it's SWTOR 2.0 in phenom except nowhere near as good a game.  It's more polished than SWTOR but it's as stripped down as it is polished.  The content is far less interesting, and all the polish in the world can't help that.

I pretty much agree with this.  I keep hearing the same thing as well: "End game will be great" - but am just not seeing it..

• ChronohlChronohl Member Posts: 16
    after some epic dungeons lvl30+
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by zimike

Greetings,

I'm not here to attack the game, I just want to see this game as everyone else seems to be. My wife and I played the game for a couple days over one of the open beta weekends. The story seemed ok, but the quests seem very boring and the combat lacking. The graphics seem very nice and I didn't have any performance problems running the game. I didn't like the heavily instanced beginning parts, so I open the world opens up a lot more later. Also, the invisible walls all over the place kind of drove me nuts, but that is something I can deal with if the overall game is fun.

Due to work, I couldn't play past level 10, but I didn't have more time to check it out. However, the game was very boring for both of us up to that level.

I know some games take time to get to the fun and interesting parts, but if the rest of the game is like the first 10 levels, then I would have to pass.  The game just seems very linear at the start and hope there are some open world elements. Three key components I look for in an MMO are adventure, exploration, and discovery.

I guess my main reason for this post is to help understand why this game is fun and am looking to be convinced into getting it.

For me personally it seems you're just going through the motions, there seems to be no genuine drive or desire to play. And without that all you're doing is prolonging a relationship based on false pretenses. Not healthy. I've always hated the question what makes this game or that game fun. Because fun to me indicates there is one key aspect (or turning point) about the game that's universally panned as making it all worth the trouble. And that's just setting things up to be knocked down.

Now enjoyment is another beast entirely. You can draw enjoyment out of any number of activities in a game, but it varies from player to player. The only thing that holds true for all those players is that they all feel attached to the world they're residing in. They want to be there and they want their characters to thrive in it. But if that feeling is not present the moment you log in (1017 willing), everything you do will feel like a big joke and you'll be constantly searching for a reason why everyone else is having fun.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

There isn't much to add that isn't already insinuated here other than that this game is JRPG first and a MMO second.  If you like games such as Final Fantasy and maybe even the Tales or Suikoden Series, then you'll probably enjoy this once you really get into the story (about when you join a Grand Company).

Though I'd like to say kudos to ask this question as opposed to just playing for a few hours and making some kind of silly review like some others have.  I think you'll find that thus far what most have been saying about the game doesn't have any substantial worth (the only feedback I've read from someone who completed the whole story remark it as an excellent Final Fantasy Experience:  http://www.gamebreaker.tv/show/xiv-release-date-xiv-reborn-ep-5/  at 43:50) simply because they haven't put ample time into actually playing the game (most likely haven't even joined a Grand Company yet).  Though as a whole, that does not mean that there are those who just don't like JRPG games or Themeparks as a whole and they have a perfectly solid reason for not wanting to play it (and it also doesn't mean that those having great personal fun isn't a factor or an important for they themselves).

There are valid complaints for every game in existence, though people who seek them out are probably too jaded to enjoy this genre anymore as they fall into the mindset that everything they say is law, even if they didn't play a game long enough to be able to adequately judge. Though who knows?  Perhaps those who give it a proper chance are the ones who are doing it wrong (be it good or bad feedback once they took the time playing it), and a game can be judged on the basis of just the introduction because no MMO ever should ever have any kind of flaw.  It's a tactic I'll need to do while reading at some point, just looking at the title and reading the first paragraph before I make a judgement about the book simply because I've read hundreds of books.  I'll definitely know much more about it than someone who has read it thrice before (though almost all things have their own life spans that they are subject to).

One thing is pondered on at the moment, and that is that this game isn't about instant gratification past the introduction; you have to work you butt off getting all 950 levels and unlocking systems, making sure you didn't miss any (it stops holding your hand earlier than I expected), working on multiple systems and being given more complex activities with spikes in difficulty depending on your class and how efficient you are with it.  You could very well miss several important systems such as how to unlocking chocobos, earning the seals required to earn a license, and even teaching them how to fight (which most still don't even know how to do yet).

:)

TLDR;  If you're a Final Fantasy or JRPG fan, the first 30 days are worth playing according to sources cited in this post.  The general census is that the game becomes really great and grows in complexity post 20; though that is still subject to JRPGs and how slow they tend to move and how much dialog they have.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I'd love to provide an opinion...but every single NA server is still locked since launch day...therefore its not going on 5 days where I have purchased the game, but there is not a single NA server that I can create a toon on...
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    I was tempted to purchase the game this morning but digital sales are disabled atm :( guess it might be a blessing in disguise though.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Greetings,

For me, it started at the intro. But others it's different.

Here's my take.

If you are asking this question, you probably have your answer.

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105
    in my honest opinion i think the game only becomes fun after u defeat the 1017 and the 10102 boss. AFTER all that the game becomes awesome. till then good luck :(
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Three key components I look for in an MMO are adventure, exploration, and discovery.

The game opens up at story quest lvl15 when u start to travel around the 3 continents. There is definitely plenty of adventure, exploration, and discovery. You will be visiting many locations and exploring new lands.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Voqar

it has more than wow ever did at release

ill talk to people all the time the quest are there you dont have to do them except for the main story stuff and class stuff and oyu run out of quets pretty fast if you level multi classes the fates are just that its a fast way to level. but its your opinion  so what ever

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by doodphace
    I'd love to provide an opinion...but every single NA server is still locked since launch day...therefore its not going on 5 days where I have purchased the game, but there is not a single NA server that I can create a toon on...

make a toon some where then transfer offen it ...

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Greetings,

For me personally, I was liking it already at level 1, but I got hooked when I was able to get the crafting classes after doing the level 10 class quest. 

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    As others have said, the game does open up a bit later on and move you around the map and so on.  But, I also have to say that if you are not having fun from the beginning, it's likely not worth it.  Most of the people who are having the most fun with the game really enjoyed it from the very beginning -- probably because of the world, and the JRPG elements.  If it didn't grab you from the beginning, it's putting a lot of pressure on yourself and the game to hope that it grabs you later on.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Level 1.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

When i log into the game.