Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends September 2nd

2»

Comments

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    uo? ultima online? is that not 15 years old or something?
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by SysFail
    Originally posted by gamekid2k
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Alone that this massive discount exists says alot about DF being a failure and they have problems to sell copies to someone.

This is fully justified. Instead of adding to the sandbox they created a themepark arena deathmatch almost on one wants to play.

Why don't you enlighten us by naming another MMORPG game that is in the market RIGHT NOW that has

• Action PvP,
    • Skill based pvp
    • Open World,
    • Full Loot,
    • Massive area
    • city building
    • Housing
    • Conquest/Seige
    • Massive naval warfare
    • player based economy
    • rich crafting
    • collision detection
    • Friendly Fire
    • rich political/alliance system
    • treasure hunting
    • pvp boss
    • non instanced dungeon

That list may sound good on paper, but a list cannot reveal how badly each of those features have been implemented.

As the OP played UO, i'll reveal the shallowness of owning a home in UW...

Housing in DF is a static placement in a static village position and offers nothing more than quick travel to that house. It has a few fixed house addons that can be used to increase bind spots and a place to store a few items via a bank. In DF1 this was actually an asset, because houses close to valuable mob spawns, dungeons and various other hotspots made them valuable, in UW this isn't the case due to pve being absolutely pointless other than to grind prowess, thus making them pretty much worthless in the long run.

So anybody looking at that list and thinking how cool it sounds, do a bit of research first before you buy, because once you scratch the surface your soon realize that the listed features have been very poorly thought out and badly implemented.

Again you can't name a single game at the moment that has these feature.  $20 is a steal.  How many times you purchased a $60 for xbox and played it for few days?  Think about that.  I know many of you got banned by AV for cheating and you want to take revenge by spreading misleading information. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Deadlobster
    uo? ultima online? is that not 15 years old or something?

Yes. I played it when it was first released and quit when EQ1 was released . There are no other games that got my heart pounding as these 2 games. I have been on a ledge for a while to pick Darkfall and play, then this UW came out! I thought it was a upgrade. I am going to buy it, if it sucks then oh well. I own so many MMOs it will be another in the pile of unused accounts!

I am looking at two other MMOs EQnext and Wildstar (if they have PvP). But I really want a good game with PvP in the package. I find myself just getting bored with just PvE and want that chaos or unexpected event to happen.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Dont even bother at 50% off people...this game is trash in comparison to the first dakrfall....it is slower, less complicated...very limited and simplistic.

I am almost 100%! sure the this game will have no cost aside from its monthly before the end of the year and even then it has a very strong possiblity of going free to play.

A friend of mine still plays this garbage game and he states the game is pretty dead already and was only release in April of this year...

Stay away save your $20.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Saryk

I miss the old UO days!

Okay, I miss the days before the internet became a thing.

I miss the days before electricity became a thing.

I miss the days before the printing press was developed. Good times, those...Good times.

The days when a man could be a man and witches were burned at a Stake. The days of the inquisition and periodic outbreaks of plague. The days of the crusades (real HARDCORE FFA PVP) and some serious crafting/townbuilding. Interesting political scene as well and some kick ass Guilds to join.

Fuck you 21st century...Just....Fuck you.

I miss the days before Homo Sapiens. That is right back when men were monkeys and had not a care in the world. Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I miss the old UO days!

I miss the days before the printing press was developed. Good times, those...Good times.

The days when a man could be a man and witches were burned at a Stake. The days of the inquisition and periodic outbreaks of plague. The days of the crusades (real HARDCORE FFA PVP) and some serious crafting/townbuilding. Interesting political scene as well and some kick ass Guilds to join.

I miss the days before Homo Sapiens. That is right back when men were monkeys and had not a care in the world. Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas

Monkeys. Bah, with those new-fangled arms and legs. I miss the days before we crawled out of the oceans. Protozoa FTW!

Originally posted by Salenger

Dont even bother at 50% off people...this game is trash in comparison to the first dakrfall....it is slower, less complicated...very limited and simplistic.

I am almost 100%! sure the this game will have no cost aside from its monthly before the end of the year and even then it has a very strong possiblity of going free to play.

A friend of mine still plays this garbage game and he states the game is pretty dead already and was only release in April of this year...

Stay away save your $20.

FYI DF1 is dead and it is not coming back according to AV.  DF2 (DFUW) is the only option for those who want to experience  amazing open world sandbox type game.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Alone that this massive discount exists says alot about DF being a failure and they have problems to sell copies to someone.

This is fully justified. Instead of adding to the sandbox they created a themepark arena deathmatch almost on one wants to play.

Why don't you enlighten us by naming another MMORPG game that is in the market RIGHT NOW that has

• Action PvP,
    • Skill based pvp
    • Open World,
    • Full Loot,
    • Massive area
    • city building
    • Housing
    • Conquest/Seige
    • Massive naval warfare
    • player based economy
    • rich crafting
    • collision detection
    • Friendly Fire
    • treasure hunting
    • pvp boss
    • non instanced dungeon

Hold on!  Let me get a stab!

Action PvP, what do you consider that exactly?  Moving?  Every MMO has PvP where you move.

Skills Based PvP, EVERY MMO has skill involved in their PvP.  Some people are just better than others.

Open World, Other than some MMO's have level limitations in certain areas, most MMO's have an open world.

FULL LOOT, Good job!  You finally found one that isn't a feature in every other MMO.

Massive area, What does that even mean?  Are you saying other MMO's don't have a large land mass?  You'd be wrong.

City Building, Several MMO's have this, but in Darkfall, they aren't really cities, more like walls with a few buildings.

Housing, Darkfalls housing is horrible and extremely limited, it's really no better than instanced housing IMO.

Conquest, Siege, Most MMO's coming out recently have sieging or territory control, so you're wrong here too.

Naval Warfare,Alright, here's your second good point, as most MMO's tend to exclude naval exploration all together.

Player based economy, that's a complete lie.  Every character can be a master crafter, so the economy is crap.

Rich Crafting, it's hard to have "rich" crafting when every player can be a master at everything, and what is "rich"?

Collision detection, So what?  There are many games that have this too.  And who cares?

Friendly Fire, I'll agree here.  Though I doubt a lot of people would find this as a good feature..

Rich Political/Alliance system, again, what is "rich"?  If you count zerging people rich, then I guess you'd be right.

Treasure hunting, Almost every game has this in some form of achievement system.  UO had it.

PvP Boss, What does this even mean? 

Non-instanced dungeons, Yeah, in case you are blind, Darkfall has instanced dungeons...

So.. you've got full loot, naval warfare and friendly fire.  Congrats.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Alright bitter DF1 people list the alernatives to this game? What other MMOs should we be playing with these features?

I think this game has attracked the wrong crowd to fully appreciate the game. This would likely be an explorer and crafter paradise with afew tweaks (dumping full loot for inventory loot amongst other things). This game has too many pvp only people that don't care about pve crafting or the large seemless world.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Alright bitter DF1 people list the alernatives to this game? What other MMOs should we be playing with these features? I think this game has attracked the wrong crowd to fully appreciate the game. This would likely be an explorer and crafter paradise with afew tweaks (dumping full loot for inventory loot amongst other things). This game has too many pvp only people that don't care about pve crafting or the large seemless world.

These DF1 bitter vets will not stop.  They are under the delusion that IF they can successfully scare enough people away from the jewel of DF2 (DFUW) then AV will somehow bring back DF1. 

Fact of the matter is DF1 died because it had less then 1000 people the day before it was shutdown. People hated it and constantly unsubbed.  To a point where it is not even economcial for AV to run a server for DF1.  Nobody wanted it back then, most people don't want it now and even the new Korean partnership company said they want DFUW not DF1.  Business 101: If DF1 was that good and that popular then AV would not waste years trying to make DFUW.  DF1 failed because it was a horrible game with macroing 24x7 to level up.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Alright bitter DF1 people list the alernatives to this game? What other MMOs should we be playing with these features? I think this game has attracked the wrong crowd to fully appreciate the game. This would likely be an explorer and crafter paradise with afew tweaks (dumping full loot for inventory loot amongst other things). This game has too many pvp only people that don't care about pve crafting or the large seemless world.

Yes a few tweaks which the devs were informed of and ignored, I remember when DFUW was about a month away (the first time it was a month away), and it came out that everyone could max out crafting skills...ALL of them...at once, and they were told it would kill the crafter economy...and it did....they were told it would make a resource based economy..and it did.

If I had to list two games over the last three years I had the highest hopes for and that failed to live up to those hopes it would be The Secret World and DF2.

The secret world really did a good job at being a themepark MMO, it was just way too short and way too linear...it only has three real zones and to this day only has three real zones and only one possible story line...it could have been so much more with the three factions and the modern day setting...and you catch glimpses of the potential in it just not enough.

DF2 could have been a spiritual follow up to UO, what we ended up with was a watered down first person medieval shooter with bad graphics and a horrible UI, horrible crafting, 1999 spell effects (or earlier), and a community of people who are what you would expect to find in a bad first person shooter.... The kind of people who take valid criticism and instead deflect it with insults and aspersions. 

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by DAS1337

• Action PvP,
    • Skill based pvp
    • Open World,
    • Full Loot,
    • Massive area
    • city building
    • Housing
    • Conquest/Seige
    • Massive naval warfare
    • player based economy
    • rich crafting
    • collision detection
    • Friendly Fire
    • treasure hunting
    • pvp boss
    • non instanced dungeon

Hold on!  Let me get a stab!

Action PvP, what do you consider that exactly?  Moving?  Every MMO has PvP where you move.

Skills Based PvP, EVERY MMO has skill involved in their PvP.  Some people are just better than others.

Open World, Other than some MMO's have level limitations in certain areas, most MMO's have an open world.

FULL LOOT, Good job!  You finally found one that isn't a feature in every other MMO.

Massive area, What does that even mean?  Are you saying other MMO's don't have a large land mass?  You'd be wrong.

City Building, Several MMO's have this, but in Darkfall, they aren't really cities, more like walls with a few buildings.

Housing, Darkfalls housing is horrible and extremely limited, it's really no better than instanced housing IMO.

Conquest, Siege, Most MMO's coming out recently have sieging or territory control, so you're wrong here too.

Naval Warfare,Alright, here's your second good point, as most MMO's tend to exclude naval exploration all together.

Player based economy, that's a complete lie.  Every character can be a master crafter, so the economy is crap.

Rich Crafting, it's hard to have "rich" crafting when every player can be a master at everything, and what is "rich"?

Collision detection, So what?  There are many games that have this too.  And who cares?

Friendly Fire, I'll agree here.  Though I doubt a lot of people would find this as a good feature..

Rich Political/Alliance system, again, what is "rich"?  If you count zerging people rich, then I guess you'd be right.

Treasure hunting, Almost every game has this in some form of achievement system.  UO had it.

PvP Boss, What does this even mean? 

Non-instanced dungeons, Yeah, in case you are blind, Darkfall has instanced dungeons...

So.. you've got full loot, naval warfare and friendly fire.  Congrats.

Good wrtiteup with a small correction. DF:UW has zoned dungeons, you have a loading screen but everyone can enter.

Most of the list is a very barren and shallow implementation which makes no fun to take part.

I had to LOL on rich crafting ..ROFL

In interview here on MMORPG the devs suggested to try other parts of the game being asked crafting questions. 

Yes it has full loot but the loot feels like junk  because it has no value since everybody can craft everything and the shallow crafting system. Friendly fire is a intresting feature (i still strongly beleieve because the devs couldn't identify source of thehit  attack rather then  it being intended)  but it is related  to the only feature this game offers, a big arena for group deathmatch with no real meaning behind it other then bragging rights.

Since everybody can drive a boat and use the cannons on the boat and there no weather influence on steering and speed - every boat can turn on a dime - there isn't anything special on boats.   They even made the map smaller and cut away big water areas and whats more pityfull lots of islands, the reason for boats to travel between landmasses separetad by water. With abysmal economy through global banks and global auction house there isnt a reason for transport goods on ships and pirating.  Boats are treated like another piece of the senseless arena deathmatch game but this time with no action elements to it -because boats turn on a dime and there isn't different speeds on boat maneuver-

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

These DF1 bitter vets will not stop.  They are under the delusion that IF they can successfully scare enough people away from the jewel of DF2 (DFUW) then AV will somehow bring back DF1. 

Fact of the matter is DF1 died because it had less then 1000 people the day before it was shutdown. People hated it and constantly unsubbed.  To a point where it is not even economcial for AV to run a server for DF1.  Nobody wanted it back then, most people don't want it now and even the new Korean partnership company said they want DFUW not DF1.  Business 101: If DF1 was that good and that popular then AV would not waste years trying to make DFUW.  DF1 failed because it was a horrible game with macroing 24x7 to level up.

FACT of matter is AV abandoned DF1 take our money while promising DF2010 they were implementing secretly DF:UW. Fact of matter 2 is they announced a wipe.

Both of this alone will kill any MMORPG and tear it down to 1000 subs (your number).

Did they had kept adding DF2010 features and not wiping the game would still thrive with probably 2x -3x times the subs of today (i would still play for example), but now it faces the consequences of a NGE. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Darkfall Unholy Wars is 50% off at Steam, fyi!

I am seriously thinking about buying it.  But wanted everyone to know. I miss the old UO days!

Great game,...here's an old vid I had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As935_cH2Nw

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I miss the old UO days!

Monkeys. Bah, with those new-fangled arms and legs. I miss the days before we crawled out of the oceans. Protozoa FTW!

I miss the days before that whole, "Let there be light", business. I'll take the peace of a formless black void any day.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    New DF is pretty rubbish compared to the old one. New one also has lots of stuff missing that was in the first one. Combat is also rubbish, like so bad.

OP if you didn't play the original Darkfall, you can throw out all the comments from bitter DF1 people.  I'm new with this game and I'm having a blast.  This game really fills the void that EQ1 left for me.  No quests, freedom set your own goals all set in a dangerous virtually seemless world.  

I didn't play UO but if you are tired of the same old themepark linear quest hubbing give this game a shot.

+1.  There are no games that will satisfy 100% of the population.  Believe it or not there are people that hates wow and GW2.  Having said that if you didn't play original Darkfall this is a must try.  Check out all the Ripper X video in youtube for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Played UO.  But didn't play DF1.

Is there housing?  Thx.

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Avoxia
    New DF is pretty rubbish compared to the old one. New one also has lots of stuff missing that was in the first one. Combat is also rubbish, like so bad.

OP if you didn't play the original Darkfall, you can throw out all the comments from bitter DF1 people.  I'm new with this game and I'm having a blast.  This game really fills the void that EQ1 left for me.  No quests, freedom set your own goals all set in a dangerous virtually seemless world.  

I didn't play UO but if you are tired of the same old themepark linear quest hubbing give this game a shot.

+1.  There are no games that will satisfy 100% of the population.  Believe it or not there are people that hates wow and GW2.  Having said that if you didn't play original Darkfall this is a must try.  Check out all the Ripper X video in youtube for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Is there housing?  Thx.

There is housing, but not to the level of UO.  If you are looking for something UO style, Albion may be more up your ally.  Has the pvp mindset of DF, but the crafting and housing focus more like UO.  2D style game.  Our clan is in alpha for it coming up, but the other clans I know of that are in the alpha love it.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    Originally posted by Avoxia

Is there housing?  Thx.

There is housing, but not to the level of UO.  If you are looking for something UO style, Albion may be more up your ally.  Has the pvp mindset of DF, but the crafting and housing focus more like UO.  2D style game.  Our clan is in alpha for it coming up, but the other clans I know of that are in the alpha love it.

Checked out Albion's website.  Looks pretty cool.  What does your clan play now? 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    just stating that this is a STEAM sale not a darkfall, every game on green light goes on sale its Steams promotion