Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bored of playing video games. Will EQ Next make me happy?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

I was waiting on WildStar because I thought it was pretty cool. I like the graphics and stuff but when I tried beta, to me it felt like just another mmo. The running around for npc's to do their quests is very boring now. I mean I think it could be fun for new comers to mmo's, but most mmo players these days are vets. I dont see any games that I think will hold my interest. ArcheAge I think is just going to be like all other mmo's. EQ Next on the other hand looks like what I love. The fantasy theme never gets old. Love the graphics and animations and they are using the same engine as Planet Side 2 which ran so smooth on my pc, loved the graphics in that game too, the terrain mainly. I'm hoping they will have alternative/fun ways to level up not just quest/dungeons.

So EQ Next is the last hope for me.

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I disagree with ArcheAge being just like other MMORPG's, but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to derail your thread.

While EQN is going to be interesting, it is a long ways away.   The Minecraft version LandMark is coming out in the next 4-7 months, if you like creating stuff and sharing your creations.  EQN release? 2015, 2016?  It's in the prototype / early alpha stage now, so ...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    No one knows if it will make you happy. You can however do some research by watching panels, going to www.everquestnext.com and reading up on what the developers are doing and take part in recent polls. If you like what you see then there is a chance it may be a good fit for you. But only captain planet can tell you if you will be happy with it, after all hes a hero.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by funcon

I was waiting on WildStar because I thought it was pretty cool. I like the graphics and stuff but when I tried beta, to me it felt like just another mmo. The running around for npc's to do their quests is very boring now. I mean I think it could be fun for new comers to mmo's, but most mmo players these days are vets. I dont see any games that I think will hold my interest. ArcheAge I think is just going to be like all other mmo's. EQ Next on the other hand looks like what I love. The fantasy theme never gets old. Love the graphics and animations and they are using the same engine as Planet Side 2 which ran so smooth on my pc, loved the graphics in that game too, the terrain mainly. I'm hoping they will have alternative/fun ways to level up not just quest/dungeons.

mmos are not the only video games.

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

I kind of agree with OP.  Video games seem all the same to me at this point.  MMOs are all too WoW-esque (and I've played enough of that) and console games are all some flavor of FPS (with sneaking)...  I know this is going to cause some backlash, but that is just how I've been feeling for a long while now.

I'm excited for something different with EQ:N and landmark

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Best thing you can do for yourself is identify if you are still interested in video games. If not, then do yourself a favor and do something else. If you literally cannot find anything to play right now, you might want to seriously consider that video games are not the hobby for you.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Dude you can wear anything out with enough indulgence even chocolate cake or masturbation. Play some MOBAs, some shooters, and other games for your fix to recharge your RPG batteries while waiting on EQN and be "smart." Don't invest so much hope or buy into the hype so strongly you cry and quit the hobby if it crashes like Miley Cyrus at the VMA.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

While I doubt I'll ever truely give up on mmorpgs, the older I get, the harder it is for me to invest time, energy, and money into them. The few games I really enjoyed EQ, DAoC, WAR, WoW either turned into something else as time progressed or simply lost population and fun along with them. I gave GW2 a try and while I mildly enjoyed the PVP arenas and some of the WvWvW, it was just another grindy, game of Tag.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

mmos are not the only video games.

I've been playing MMOs for almost 18 years. It is really really hard for me to play a single player game. I play a few co-op console games with my lady, but that is about the extent of my console gaming. I just can't get immersed or feel challenged in a game where I am only playing against/with the AI (usually bad) or there is no story (arcade fighting, racing, etc).

I've been looking into LOL and moba's, but I'm not sure I have the attention span or patience to play them.

While not a fantasy mmorpg, Team Fortress 2 has got me through the times were I just couldn't grind another level.

TF2 is awesome and I think it relates to EQN in a way. Classes with defined roles and alternates play styles, many different gear options that change game play, swap classes whenever you want, big focus on team play, etc. Good way to get some adrenaline pumping and some mindless PVP action, all without any real point of lasting effect.

Overall, after all these years, I think it helps to have a backup or time-out game to break the cycle that is so easy to fall into in most mmorpgs.

If EQN disappoints, I'll wait for the next game to come along in a few more years. Wildstar does have some potential, unfortunately they are pretty set on catering to the high end grinding raiders from WoW. I can't get the years of my life back that I spent doing that...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Dear OP, if you take a break from video gaming now, and return to it when EQN releases somewhere in 2015 it most certainly will make you hapy.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I think one reason, at least for me, why people get bored with MMO's is the level of activity people want from a game..  What I mean here is that if all you are doing is hack and slashing from one mob to the next in line, it becomes routine.. As with anything in life, all routine actions become numbing.. If MMO's expect me to stay and play, there has to be more to the game then hack and slash..  This is why raids in many games become "dances".. I want and demand variety of play.. I want crafting to be meaningful and fun.. This doesn't mean sitting in town and hitting "create all".. You know crafting is broken in a game when 90% of the auctions are selling "mats"..

As for combat, there needs to be even a bigger variety of play.. There has to be roles like pulling, charming, mezing, snaring, rooting, buffing, debuffing, etc etc.. The more "jobs" that are available to play, the less chance you become bored doing the same numbing hack and slash.. 

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96

You might as well ask us if you're going to be satisfied after your next dinner.  

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

OP, if you're talking about video games in general, I can empathize. Nothing was engaging me, and I found myself loading up old games and playing those.

But then I sort of went on an Indie game binge, and found some real fun games. Hope in the industry was restored. Minecraft started it. Then Walking Dead. More recently Don't Starve and Kerbal Space Program.

I've given more mainstream games a shot in that time as well, but few have been as fun as the Indie games.

From what I've seen, I think EQN has the potential to engage me in MMOs again.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I think Lord.Bacchus has it right, OP.  You seem more burned out on gaming in general, and if that is the situation you're in then no, I can practically guarantee you it won't make you happy.

You truly, honestly need a good healthy break.  When you come back, EQN, FFXIV, or virtually -any- game will make you happy.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

One can only make oneself happy as it shouldn't be happiness one seeks outside oneself

Everquest Next is at least a year from release and if your bored playing video games sounds like you should consider something other then computer generated stimuli

I considered myself a serious video gamer at one time in my life and it takes a toll if it takes up alot of your time/energy. Exposing yourself to electronic devices such as TVs, Computers, Consoles, Cell Phones, etc.. alot over time really adds up if you simply take it all for granted and wonder why your not feeling like you used to or its affecting you adversely somehow.

Take a break and get some fresh air and get the blood circulating and your body oxygenated as you refresh and reinvigor yourself and you would be surprised how renewed you feel and how more enthusiastic you are playing video games and its even better if its multiplayer or massively multiplayer games as I have observed within myself over the years.

I actually sell video games, consoles, computers, etc...and the people who have a well balanced life are the most well adjusted and happy gamers in my experience. Over indulgence in anything is unbecoming and leads to dis-ease and dis-orientation and imbalance...which affects everything else in your life accordingly.

We all hope and pray Everquest Next delivers something as revolutionary as Everquest was when it was introduced back in the day as the first 3D MMORPG.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Dude you can wear anything out with enough indulgence even chocolate cake or masturbation. Play some MOBAs, some shooters, and other games for your fix to recharge your RPG batteries while waiting on EQN and be "smart." Don't invest so much hope or buy into the hype so strongly you cry and quit the hobby if it crashes like Miley Cyrus at the VMA.

I beg to differ, sir.

• Univers0Univers0 Member UncommonPosts: 30

I understand why I quit all those games that I played.   Most often it is because  the way that the class you played and loved while leveling up is not the role which is needed for endgame raiding.  For example, in original Everquest as a magician you level up by having your pet tank and you nuke down the mob while watching your aggro and pet's health, or you would do same in a group.  On raids you would summon people or items, sometimes debuff resistances.  No pet, no damage.  Whenever endgame like that happens, an alt is born. 

I have not yet played a game with an engaging/functional endgame, which is actually fun.  Maybe EQ Next and the smart mobs can change that.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by Karteli

I disagree with ArcheAge being just like other MMORPG's, but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to derail your thread.

While EQN is going to be interesting, it is a long ways away.   The Minecraft version LandMark is coming out in the next 4-7 months, if you like creating stuff and sharing your creations.  EQN release? 2015, 2016?  It's in the prototype / early alpha stage now, so ...

I agree about ArchAge. It is not the same, while it may start in a similar way, in the Protected continent, and there are levels its scope is much wider after that point, such as Player Built and Run Cities, Kingdoms alliances etc, it has a very strong GvG aspect to it. It is much like EVE but in a Fantasy Setting.

Not wanting to derail the thread either.

My problem with EQN, is just that, the Crafting and Building is Separate from the main Game. You can build Houses, and you can share your creations, but you cannot (based on current information), use them for you in the main EQN world.

It is not like ArchAge where people can have their own Houses, form player Run Villages and Cities and claim territory to defend protect and maintain.

The Housing is in Landmark. I am assuming, again extrapolating from current information, that the goal is to have Players share in creating the content and assets that will be constantly explored, destroyed and renewed in the main game of EQN in order to provide an ongoing player vs Environment Experience which does not see repetitive.

For example lets say you go off with your friends, and due to some adventure you open a hole on the ground and find a Cave with some old Ruins guarded by some mean Beasts. You fight the beasts, you destroy the environment in the process, some of the ruins are not there anymore, and you leave.

If that same location is not visited lets say for a given period of time, the game may simply erase it from existence, and the next time some group digs in to the same spot then a new Cave with new ruins and assets is created and populated.

the assets for these buildings come from the pool of approved creations in Landmark.

So when they say, "yes you will be able to bring your creations from Landmark to EQN, if they match the style", to me at least it meant that EQN may use them.

Without further details, it is really open to speculation.

The other possibility is that, they are simply segregating Crafting/Housing/Gathering and Adventuring/House placing between the two games to avoid any possible player vs player antagonism.

Such as PKs Hunting Crafters. They will not be able to do so since the Crafters do their work in landmark. And how they log on to EQN they have a combat Class and only there to "place" the house they import from Landmark. Which implies that there will be Housing and Player Run Villages Cities etc...

But it is also speculation at this point.

No confirmations either case.

ArchAge on the other hand is confirmed, we know what features it has and what gameplay it is about and the experience it offers. Nothing mysterious there, they came out and laid the aim from the get go, the details revealed over time were specific mechanics, and that is the game they built and launched.

EQN at this point is 2 clients, 4 Features and lots of Hype...nothing is clear as to what type of gameplay it is going for...therefore it is impossible to say with accuracy if it will be fun, for anyone or ourselves.

Wait and see more I say..and decide as more is revealed...for sure..I personally am not looking for a PVE experience of an MMO..crafting or not, Destructible environment or not...Goblin King having a personal Grudge against me or not...

If I want to play vs NPC's I prefer the hassle-less Solo game.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    @ Suraknar: The devs have said that players will be able to claim land in EQN and build on it. You can even port build templates from landmark to the main game after it launches
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Bored of playing video games. Will EQ Next make me happy?

Probably not. Maybe for a little while it will, but in the end... probably not.

*Note - not a slam against EQN, just a general observation of the MMO community at large.

Originally posted by Metrobius
    @ Suraknar: The devs have said that players will be able to claim land in EQN and build on it. You can even port build templates from landmark to the main game after it launches

Thank you, Metrobius.

Is there a written reference to this, or was this said in one of the QnA panels or Grail Presentations? I watched them all with great interests.

Claiming land and building on it was mentioned but not in detail. It seems like players can Claim land as part of a "Quest", like for instance the example with the Village growing in to a Keep and repelling the Siege Armies of the Goblin King.

Players built that keep...but it is not theirs. It belongs to the NPC inhabitants there... it really is not clear at this point.

It might be simply safer to wait and see what comes out in the near future... personally I got excited when I first saw all this, plus I did like the artistic style very much...

But then, I wondered will it all be PVE again? Will it all be about Progressing a Character within a new environment that has Emergent AI NPCs and Destructible environment?

Or will it truly be a world that the players make a live (Living world) whose dynamics rest upon the players and it is not all NPC make belief engineered...

I am not against having PVE of course, don;t take me wrong, but a PVE Core gameplay with everything else on the side, is not fun for me, and not what I seek.

Having said this, I do not want to invent answers to these questions nor form definite conclusions at this time...wait and see.. for now.

But my hopes are not up either, because if they were going to make a game where players really have a role in the world then why not announce it from the get go that there will be Housing and Player Run Villages and Cities in the main game?

- Duke Suraknar -

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    Originally posted by Suraknar

Thank you, Metrobius.

Is there a written reference to this, or was this said in one of the QnA panels or Grail Presentations? I watched them all with great interests.

Claiming land and building on it was mentioned but not in detail. It seems like players can Claim land as part of a "Quest", like for instance the example with the Village growing in to a Keep and repelling the Siege Armies of the Goblin King.

Players built that keep...but it is not theirs. It belongs to the NPC inhabitants there... it really is not clear at this point.

It might be simply safer to wait and see what comes out in the near future... personally I got excited when I first saw all this, plus I did like the artistic style very much...

But then, I wondered will it all be PVE again? Will it all be about Progressing a Character within a new environment that has Emergent AI NPCs and Destructible environment?

Or will it truly be a world that the players make a live (Living world) whose dynamics rest upon the players and it is not all NPC make belief engineered...

I am not against having PVE of course, don;t take me wrong, but a PVE Core gameplay with everything else on the side, is not fun for me, and not what I seek.

Having said this, I do not want to invent answers to these questions nor form definite conclusions at this time...wait and see.. for now.

But my hopes are not up either, because if they were going to make a game where players really have a role in the world then why not announce it from the get go that there will be Housing and Player Run Villages and Cities in the main game?

I think what you are referring to are rallying calls.  I cant find any links to references of this, but I know I have read it and heard it in different Dev panels and interviews.  Aside from that, leaving player housing out of EQN would leave the game incomplete.  Go back and watch the panels and the reveal vids again and youll see the references im talking about.  

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Suraknar

Thank you, Metrobius.

They've pretty much confirmed that PVP, player housing - guild housing - player run villages/cities/structures, social/trading hubs, and crafting (the "soul" of EQN) will all be in EQN.

I see Landmark as the Lego Factory where you can get creative and design anything you want (gear, furniture, structures and parts to build them, etc). You can also manipulate the physical world and build out sections of land that could possibly make it into EQN.

EQN will be more like going to the store and buying Legos. You can buy any you want and put them together however, put you are limited to what the Devs/Players have designed in Landmark. So if you have an idea for a table, you might have to design it in Landmark, put it on Player Studio, and get the blueprint in EQN. You'll still have to collect wood/steel/stone to build the table as well.

The EQ IP is based on PVE. PVP has been used in various ways over the years, but EQ doesn't revolve around it. Could possibly seem more incorporation in EQN as their world offers so many opportunities for great PVP, but we'll have to wait and see.

EQN isn't a blank canvas. There is a story and Rally Calls will push it forward. Players have a lot more freedom then a traditional mmorpg, but not total freedom. So while I think we'll have the ability to make a "living" world through social mechanics, it will be within an already living world of NPCs.

The way I see it, you can play EQN without ever touching Landmark. They are completely different games. Landmark is about producing and EQN seems about consuming and building with what Landmark produces and filters through Player Studio. In EQN you'll be able to build an awesome sword with materials and a blueprint, but in Landmark you can create the actual blueprint and design it however you want.

Of course a lot of this is my own opinion based on attempting to follow the devs in every way possible, but some of it is fairly obvious and easy to assume based on previous EQ games and what the devs have said/shown.

Until Landmark is released, I doubt we'll see a whole lot of detail about EQN itself though.

Thank you both for the insight.

@Metrobius, I did watch everything available.

But I also noticed much confusion amongst the fans asking questions in the Panels. For instance, I got the impression that some people were asking about features without being specific what they were referring to. Specifically in the Landmark Panel, people were asking questions about EQN but the Devs, this being the Landmark Panel were answering them for Landmark, and some Fans did not understand that distinction in my view.

Now, on topic continuation :

I quote some passages from the latest Interview here in MMORPG

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/7730/EverQuest-Next-The-Adventurer-Comes-to-Landmark.html

On Rallying Calls

" Instead they will be lengthy events like wars, sieges and so on that call on players to take an active role by fighting, by crafting, building so forth.  It’s not something a group of you will complete in an hour and then move on from, but rather something that an entire server will work towards with the story as the backdrop for the tasks you complete during the rallying call."

On dungeons

"In terms of the game’s subterranean dungeons and how they’re discovered, Dave told us that the team’s recently begun leaning in the direction of using Earthquakes as a story reason to close them up after a certain amount of time has passed so they don’t just become static “farming” spots for players.  He wants the sense of exploration and discovery to be maintained, so after a spot is opened for some time, it will very likely close down via earthquake and have to be rediscovered, possibly in a different place and form altogether."

These two statements lean towards my suspicions in my previous replies. Specifically Dungeons, these will be Dynamic (yes there will be some Static ones too), but mainly it is the mechanism I allude to, where Dungeons are discovered, then erased and recreated when players rediscover them from a pool of assets coming from landmark.

the rallying call statement, is where it alludes what kind of Building players really do in EQN. It is not what you guys think.

Reading further on..

"Moving on to Landmark specifically, Dave wanted to start by firming up the position that this is a fully-fledged MMO. It may not behave the same way that EQN ultimately will, but like Minecraft before it, Landmark will have massive worlds, thousands of players, and a shared creative imagination space that guides the gameplay."

"Friends and Guilds will be in the game from the start, as well as less permanent “Co-Op Buildouts”. They’re the Hippy Communes of Landmark where a group of players can come together, build stuff, share work and resources, and then split apart.  Think of it like a creative PUG in Landmark.  But more lasting creative collaborations, Dave talked to us a bit about the Player Studio. If I make a castle tower, and it’s really fantastic.  So good that some other player who wants to make and sell a castle buys my tower to use in his creation, whenever he sells that castle he made I’ll also receive compensation for the fact that he used my tower in his work. "

"Perhaps they’ll use the “Norrath” continent to hold a contest one month for players to create the best village.  They might get ten or twenty excellent entries.  They’ll use each of them then in the creation of the real EQN Norrath, so that when you go to one server that town might be one of the winners’ entries, but on another server it could look completely different.  The possibility for differentiation between shards is endless with the creation power behind Landmark, and they’re really only starting to see the potential for varied and diverse worlds opening up."

Ok these statements really confirm my thoughts and view of what it is all about as expressed in my previous reply.

Not only all player building does happen in Landmark but anything carrying over to EQN is as thought, part of the players  sharing to Shape the EQN world with assets once again.

And the Cherry on the Top:

"Lastly, we talked a bit about real estate. Landmark will be F2P, but plots of land across the worlds will be bought with Station Cash. You can buy them low, when they’re cheap, and wait until the prospective market for that plot of land goes up and then sell them for a profit to the highest bidder.  SOE wants to drive this open economy with everything from the player-made items to the world’s land itself.  And vigilant players will most definitely see some return on their investment of time and/or money.  "

So I am sorry, but it seems like SOE has found a way to Monetize the popularity of Minecraft, and they are aiming to make a hefty profit from it, by making a better one.

It is all Business, and it is all about using the term "Sandbox" since it is the current buzz word to attract the masses, all over again and once again.

Good for them, business wise I was not expecting anything less. But as a player gameplay wise, this is not a Sandbox MMORPG for me. Nor Landmark, nor EQN, enjoy playing with the AI.

I hope to be proven wrong down the line, I really do, because it would mean that I will be able to have fun and probably have found what I seek. But according to this information, and given the fact that Money/Income is concerned, I really see no reason why to give people opportunity to build in EQN when SOE can make money in Landmark from it.

Unless, in EQN you will have to buy Houses from Creators in Larndmark with station Cash again, where SOE will take a % and the rest will be profit for the creators in Landmark. It only makes sense that there is a cyclic Creator-Broker-Consumer economy in place...

The Creator pays for Terrain as an Investment and tries to sell their creations to others in Landmark but also to consumers in EQN.

Very nice...thank you...I'll pass. I prefer building a City in ArchAge..at least there it is not part of a Real Money/Profit system, it is part of Gameplay, a game, Build it lose it re-built it all simply part of Fun without anyone rubbing their hands for Profit and defining my experience according to their Revenue charts.

Having said this, the choice is still mine and I choose to wait for more info, but so far I am not liking it based on what has just been revealed.

- Duke Suraknar -