Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is 150 hrs of content enough ?

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Matt actually stated that there is 120-150 hours of content for each alliance (so, 120-150 x3), and this doesn't include PvP, dungeons, the main quest, guild quests and such.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I really hope the 150 hours is the main story and they put in a lot of fun side quests like in other Elder Scrolls games.

Smile

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    pretty simple, many ps3 games or lets say rpg or solo player games, do have this average gametime.. check out skyrim you could finish the main story in 25 hours or even less! But to finish all quests and whole content this solo game offered it took you more then 100 of hours... Well since MMOs dont have this kind of ratings I guess it counts for the story or atleast all quests
  • jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    It came up on my facebook page today that ESO has over 150 hrs of content ,now if that was an rpg I would be dancing with joy ,but I remember being half way through wow and on typing /play my character had clocked up 13 days or 312 hrs .I realise gameplay is a bit different from content but 150 hrs didn't seem all that much to brag about even if you averaged just 10 hrs a week that's not going to hold you long

You kidding me?  2 weeks of content is totally worth a monthly fee.

/sarcasm

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    Originally posted by McSire
    I know for a fact they said it will be around 150 hours of content per faction, so really it's probably close to 400+ hours of content.

Yes, you're supposed to be able to take your max level character and play through the other faction content. However, I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.  From what I've read, the three factions are at war. So at 50th level, you go over to the enemy and what? Do missions against your own faction?

when you reach lvl 50 you unlock the other faction zones.  they will have quests/story arcs relevant to your faction.  and as McSire said the game will supposedly have over 400 hours of PvE content at launch.  which is a lot imo seeing as I used to play skyrim religiously and have only spent 250 hours in that game.

Isn't it just going through the other faction quests at level 50 vs level 50 mobs? That is how I understand it anyway. You will only be playing with others from your faction that are level 50. I don't think you will see anyone else from the other faction while you play. It is just a way to play co-op with friends or solo for a PvE option at end game. To see all the content without having to create an alt.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

when you reach lvl 50 you unlock the other faction zones.  they will have quests/story arcs relevant to your faction.  and as McSire said the game will supposedly have over 400 hours of PvE content at launch.  which is a lot imo seeing as I used to play skyrim religiously and have only spent 250 hours in that game.

Isn't it just going through the other faction quests at level 50 vs level 50 mobs? That is how I understand it anyway. You will only be playing with others from your faction that are level 50. I don't think you will see anyone else from the other faction while you play. It is just a way to play co-op with friends or solo for a PvE option at end game. To see all the content without having to create an alt.

This is how I understood it as well.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

when you go into another faction area at lvl 50 the quests will be different than if you made an alt in that faction.  so if im in daggerfall the quests I do at lvl 50 in the ebonheart area are different than the ones I will do if I roll an ebonheart alt.

when you go into another faction area at lvl 50 the quests will be different than if you made an alt in that faction.  so if im in daggerfall the quests I do at lvl 50 in the ebonheart area are different than the ones I will do if I roll an ebonheart alt.

Do you know this for a fact??? All I have seen and all I can find is a quote about level 50+ and 50++. Where it is said that at level 50 you get a chance to chose another faction to play through at level 50. It just states that the content has been scaled up to level 50 so it is more difficult. No where can I find that it is new content or different content. That would be a lot of extra work and I don't think they would do it. But if there is a quote stating I am wrong, I would love to see it.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Well lets look at it reasonably.  Most people have anywhere between 1-3 hours to play MMO's.  I think that's a pretty decent number, so we'll settle at two hours a day.  Playing two hours a day will take you 75 days to reach what appears to be end-game level.  For those who don't care to do the calculations, that is two and a half months.  I'd say that's pretty reasonable, especially if you are comparing it to most other MMO's when they lunch. 

I'm hoping this doesn't include exploring, PvPing, crafting, and doing any other amount of random nothingness in between those 150 hours of play time.  So is it reasonable to say that the average joe should see 175-200 hours of play before their character reaches the end of their progression?  I think it's a pretty fair number.  That puts you right around three months.  You could always start a new character, and even though it may not take the same amount of time, it should add another 100 hours to your game time.

For me, this is reasonable, as I enjoy other things than constantly grinding away at progression.  But this won't be enough for some.  The content locusts who have 8+ hours a day to play will quickly be screaming bloody murder on the forums about being bored.  They will likely reach the end of their progression within a month. 

I think the hope is similar with most people when it comes to new games.  If the game can keep you interested until the next big content update, it will likely have you hooked.  Most MMO's have failed at that in recent history, so I guess we'll have to wait and see when Zenimax has up their sleeves.  If anything.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Do you know this for a fact??? All I have seen and all I can find is a quote about level 50+ and 50++. Where it is said that at level 50 you get a chance to chose another faction to play through at level 50. It just states that the content has been scaled up to level 50 so it is more difficult. No where can I find that it is new content or different content. That would be a lot of extra work and I don't think they would do it. But if there is a quote stating I am wrong, I would love to see it.

Yes, this is fact.

When you go to other faction areas as a level 50 (And it is only accessible at 50), you will be doing 50+ quests designed for your characters faction.  You won't be doing 1-50 quests from another faction.  This was a pretty big announcement when it was made...

Originally posted by DAS1337

Yes, this is fact.

When you go to other faction areas as a level 50 (And it is only accessible at 50), you will be doing 50+ quests designed for your characters faction.  You won't be doing 1-50 quests from another faction.  This was a pretty big announcement when it was made...

I really don't see that as the case. As far as the "designed for your characters faction" part. From the quotes and links in this very thread, as well as MikeB posting (120-150 x3) total non story questing is what we will have. That doesn't mean for each faction.

It could be that you just didn't understand how I asked the question? Each faction will have a 1-50 content path that includes a faction story that is only for that faction. The non story content is the 120 to 150 hours from the quote, like TOR. Then they will get a chance to go to a 2nd and 3rd faction area at 50. This new area will be the same world quests but for the new faction. All the content will be level 50 content and content you haven't seen before. But the same world quests that the 1-50 path had. You will not be doing the faction story, just the world quests IMO. No new faction oriented quests, just the ability to explore and quest in a different faction with all content for 50+.

Edited to make more sense.

R.A.Salvatore

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There are no instanced raids and the number of instanced dungeons with "heroic" difficulty is small... does this look like a PVE game to you guys? The extra content in the other alliance areas here is just more 50+ solo content... think "dailies" but better.

2, 3, 400 PVE soloish Skyrim-like content hours... that can be done when you're not playing the real game, the AvA in Cyrodiil... more than enough.

I know, I know, that's not their PR focus at the moment... "It's just like a single player TES game... but with friends!"

The only content in this game where grouping and coordination of raid-sized groups is necessary is the AVA in Cyrodiil. That's a big clue there. That's where this game walks the "true MMO" walk.

If you've been following this game since the original announcement like some of us here have, you'd know that the focus is still PVP but when they were up-front in emphasizing that, there was a whole shit-storm of negativity from the "true TES fans." The most common post here for months was "TES is not a PVP IP. Why are they letting a bunch of DAoC dev rejects pervert ESO?"

So their smart spin doctors in the PR department decided to change their marketting approach. They added a full-fledged TES-like 1st person view and started promoting the similarities to single player TES like crazy... meanwhile, back in the game feature development real world, nothing had changed - and it still hasn't. It's the same PVP-centric game it has always been. 

The 100's of hours you spend in Cyrodiil PVPing is where the real "content-hours" of this game are. And provided they do a good job with that content, these PVE hours you're discussing here are a drop in the bucket of total game hour potential.

If you're going into this MMO for PVE only, sooner or later you will get to the end of the content and then want more. It may take you 3 or 6 months, but you'll get there. It's inevitable in PVE MMOs. Thank goodness this isn't one of those image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Iselin

There are no instanced raids and the number of instanced dungeons with "heroic" difficulty is small... does this look like a PVE game to you guys? The extra content in the other alliance areas here is just more 50+ solo content... think "dailies" but better.

2, 3, 400 PVE soloish Skyrim-like content hours... that can be done when you're not playing the real game, the AvA in Cyrodiil... more than enough.

I know, I know, that's not their PR focus at the moment... "It's just like a single player TES game... but with friends!"

The only content in this game where grouping and coordination of raid-sized groups is necessary is the AVA in Cyrodiil. That's a big clue there. That's where this game walks the "true MMO" walk.

If you've been following this game since the original announcement like some of us here have, you'd know that the focus is still PVP but when they were up-front in emphasizing that, there was a whole shit-storm of negativity from the "true TES fans." The most common post here for months was "TES is not a PVP IP. Why are they letting a bunch of DAoC dev rejects pervert ESO?"

So their smart spin doctors in the PR department decided to change their marketting approach. They added a full-fledged TES-like 1st person view and started promoting the similarities to single player TES like crazy... meanwhile, back in the game feature development real world, nothing had changed - and it still hasn't. It's the same PVP-centric game it has always been. 

The 100's of hours you spend in Cyrodiil PVPing is where the real "content-hours" of this game are. And provided they do a good job with that content, these PVE hours you're discussing here are a drop in the bucket of total game hour potential.

If you're going into this MMO for PVE only, sooner or later you will get to the end of the content and then want more. It may take you 3 or 6 months, but you'll get there. It's inevitable in PVE MMOs. Thank goodness this isn't one of those image

Sorry but what can I get if I don't care about PvP? Some solo gameplay, ok. You PvP folks amaze me in so many ways - first you are satisfied with just an area where you can gank/zerg each other, then you complain that there are not enough carrots to follow. I honestly think that the biggest problem ESO has are former Daoc devs who actually don't care about anything other than PvP crap. 

Originally posted by Piiritus

Sorry but what can I get if I don't care about PvP? Some solo gameplay, ok. You PvP folks amaze me in so many ways - first you are satisfied with just an area where you can gank/zerg each other, then you complain that there are not enough carrots to follow. I honestly think that the biggest problem ESO has are former Daoc devs who actually don't care about anything other than PvP crap. 

I really don't care to revisit this debate despite your baits. Just telling you what this game really is all about. You can like it, you can hate it, you can rant and even use it as a vehicle to display your contempt for people that are different from you. i... do... not... care.

It's a PVP game. If you don't think it is, well, the bamboozeled and marketted is strong with you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

They will have "adventure zones" for 24 player content and small group content in there as well. But we don't know enough about them yet to really know if that will be something to do over and over. I don't think there will be a true raid instance, but that could change. And yes, they want the SPG fans to have a game to play as well. It will be the 1 to 50, the 50+ and 50++ along with crafting. But you are right that the part of the game that will keep players coming back may end up being the AvA. If they get it right. Ofc it could be perfect and players will still complain.

R.A.Salvatore

They will have "adventure zones" for 24 player content and small group content in there as well. But we don't know enough about them yet to really know if that will be something to do over and over. I don't think there will be a true raid instance, but that could change. And yes, they want the SPG fans to have a game to play as well. It will be the 1 to 50, the 50+ and 50++ along with crafting. But you are right that the part of the game that will keep players coming back may end up being the AvA. If they get it right. Ofc it could be perfect and players will still complain.

You're right. The "Adventure Zones" could provide repeatable PVE end-game content. And I'm sure I will check those out too.

My main point however is that PVE by its nature is content-driven and open-world-like PVP like this isn't. The "quantity of content" discussions have more relevance in PVE-centric games... i.e., most themeparks. It's less relevant here.

The Cyrodiil AVA will be either repeatable for its own sake or it won't. DAoC had the only PVP game play that has held my attention for a long time. That's what they're trying to replicate here. Only time will tell how well they do it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I really don't care to revisit this debate despite your baits. Just telling you what this game really is all about. You can like it, you can hate it, you can rant and even use it as a vehicle to display your contempt for people that are different from you. i... do... not... care.

It's a PVP game. If you don't think it is, well, the bamboozeled and marketted is strong with you.

Aye I believe that this is a PvP game and that Daoc gang flushed ES down the toilet. Sad really, and I'm not even a ES fan. Just cannot play PvP games due to vile community they tend to have. I can as well stop following ESO I think, just sad some Daoc devs were allowed to defile this IP.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Aye I believe that this is a PvP game and that Daoc gang flushed ES down the toilet. Sad really, and I'm not even a ES fan. Just cannot play PvP games due to vile community they tend to have. I can as well stop following ESO I think, just sad some Daoc devs were allowed to defile this IP.

Well its a little overdramatic to say that someone 'flushed down the toilet' or 'defiled' a game that is 6 months from release???

I suspect there will be a lot for people to do in ESO even if you choose not to PvP in the endgame. That being said, I am sure glad they picked the route they did, and didn't pull a WoW (endless repeats of endgame dungeon raids to get top gear) or SWTOR (not much of an endgame once you finish the storyline). The bottom line is that when making an RPG into a MMORPG, they need some sort of endgame to make it successful after the first 6 months or so, and since an RPG has no real endgame (the story just ends), ANY endgame they chose would be a big change from ES RPG. 

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

I don't get it.. Why do games have you level so fast nowadays? It takes 100-200 hours to reach max level and then players will start leaving the game after spedning a few weeks raiding and PvPing, which gets old fast. If leveling was intended to take 2 years of grinding/questing, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks per year, it would give the developers time to crank out new content before the players started complaining and leaving. The leveling will make 80+ % of the content obsolete after a few weeks.

seems like no PvE game gets things right.. Its all about the race to the end game which always suck...

Originally posted by Markusan

I don't get it.. Why do games have you level so fast nowadays? It takes 100-200 hours to reach max level and then players will start leaving the game after spedning a few weeks raiding and PvPing, which gets old fast. If leveling was intended to take 2 years of grinding/questing, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks per year, it would give the developers time to crank out new content before the players started complaining and leaving. The leveling will make 80+ % of the content obsolete after a few weeks.

seems like no PvE game gets things right.. Its all about the race to the end game which always suck...

I agree with you, but I don't think the "grind" will every be back. Things like low drop rates on collection quests or having to find a roving mob by exploration or rep grinds to move a quest forward. Those are all gone now. Players want to get to the "real game" now instead of playing all the content.

Even though some of that grind was frustrating, it felt good to complete a quest that took forever because that last item just wouldn't drop. Or running a low level dungeon and having the drop actually last a few days or longer because you couldn't level 10 levels in an hour or two. It took time to level and exploration meant something. Travel was actually running from place to place. And having to earn gold to buy a mount that made a big difference took time and meant something. These things made the game much more addictive. Just having a level cap handed to you just because you log in and go through the motions doesn't mean much anymore.

R.A.Salvatore

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Typically gameplay to the end is a lot less than the hours of content. That content is often every little thing, including areas that are the same level that people wouldn't do both.

Back in vanilla WoW, I think people typically got to the end around 10-20 days played. That is 240-480 hours. I think I was at like 15 days played, 360 hours, and I probably did like 25% of the content.

For ESO, at 150ish, you can't exactly correlate the numbers, but often in most games they're close. People are probably going to be max level within 40 hours played, so within 2 days, especially the people that stay up and rotate. A casual person, probably doing only like 20 hours a week, will probably be max in 2 weeks. This sounds like a very short lived game.

True there is the pvp and other stuff afterwards, but if you have people that just log on for a few hours every night and are max in the first month, just way too fast.

I'm sure people will argue differently, kind of like they did with swtor, but then people were max super quick there and that had "more" content, lol.

Still going to play, just hope it will have a little more depth and gameplay than I expect.

Originally posted by Stizzled
    150 hours split between three factions, so 50 hours of story/random content for each faction. That doesn't sound like much to me. I imagine the leveling process will be rather fast, as they try to funnel everyone into the PvP zone as soon as possible.

it's 150 X 3 = 450 not divided by 3.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    It came up on my facebook page today that ESO has over 150 hrs of content ,now if that was an rpg I would be dancing with joy ,but I remember being half way through wow and on typing /play my character had clocked up 13 days or 312 hrs .I realise gameplay is a bit different from content but 150 hrs didn't seem all that much to brag about even if you averaged just 10 hrs a week that's not going to hold you long

Ahh, another lost soul that never played Dark Age of Camelot.  I do not blame you, Tindale111 for thinking this might be an issue.  You see, in a realm vs realm vs realm mmorpg where RPG truly matters, the PvP as well starts to matter.   You won't get this in the E-Sport flag captures of the past so many years, so I understand the confusion that led to this question.

You could literally spend the next (let's see how old Dark Age is...hmm, 2001 to 2013)...12 years just participating in the defense of your realm and or attacking enemy realms.  Realm pride is akin to loving your football team above all others.  Let me ask you, has football seemed lacking in end game content?  I mean, it's the same game every time, right? :)  /wink

I swear most of the community is innocently the equivalent of a 3rd world country that has only had a trickle of Western medicine.  They beat their shields to their gods wondering why no one is cured, why so many die, and so forth, and now that Western medicine is arriving, they question the most basic facets of it. 

This is a game that really needs to be made.  Folks need to learn they can have far higher expectations of an industry - this truth alone must be a difficult pill to swallow for the Rift clones out there that just try to feed people sock soup when they could have steak.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Simple answer: no. Not at all.

This sounds quite unsettling, like people (again, sigh) can rush through the game.

A MMo should not be so easy, that people can breeze through the game in 150 hours. This is just what is wrong with MMOs, everything is handed on a silver platter, NO sense of accomplishment. I recall when it took a YEAR to reach max level normally playing, and that was as is should be.

Making things so easy that you can see the main content of one faction in 130-15 hours is just plain wrong.

EDIT: And WHY would I want my Faction Daggerfall char play through, say, Dominion story? That makes no sense! If I want to see the content of another faction, I roll a new char, fitting to some story. The very idea to pull one char through another faction story is absurd. Would you pull your Dwarf through Horde content, or your Sith through Jedi content after max level? NO. You'd roll a different char! Hilarious idea.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

My reply to your concern would be that ESOL is primarily about faction vs faction fighting.Yes there is pve and crafting but ....like DAOC...the focus is faction conflict.