Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: LEGO Minifigures Online: An Action Adventure RPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom recently started the process of unveiling their latest venture, LEGO Minifigures Online. We had the opportunity to speak with Lead Designer Oscar Lopez Lacalle and Executive Producer Lawrence Poe about LMO. It's a great interview to introduce the game. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG: What is the backstory/lore behind LEGO Minifigures Online?

Oscar Lopez Lacalle: The game takes place in a number of different heavily thematic worlds. Some of them are based on existing LEGO themes that are well known to all LEGO fans, like the Pirate World or the Space World. Some others like the Mythology World are our own creation, built from scratch to feel like any other existing LEGO theme. One of the strong points of the minifigure line is that they are so varied, eclectic and full of personality. We are creating Worlds that provide a variety of different environments where anything from a Skater to a Gingerbread Man to a Roman Commander can go on crazy adventures together. More details about the specifics of the backstory will be revealed later.

Read more of Suzie Ford's LEGO Minifigures Online: An Action Adventure RPG.

image  image

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    This game should be voxel based, just sayin
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Not reading the article, just wondering why LEGO tries an other on-line game while the first one didn't even last a year before shut down...
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

funcom making lego games... what a waste :(

They always had big dreams about their mmos and were one of the few who really tried new things when everyone else were churning out the same shit year after year

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

LMO? lmao...

Don't get me wrong, I loved the tongue-in-cheek humour of Lego Star Wars Original trilogy, and Lego of the Rings was even hilarious occasionally. Not to mention I'm a Funcom fan.

But I think this will be the first FC game I'll skip... for obvious reasons :)

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The whole point of LEGOS is that youbuild whatever you want and encourage a child's imagination.  So they do not even put in the core aspect of the product and instead make it an action MMO?

Yea....this should turn out great.  Might as well make a Star Wars MMO without any space combat....oops.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Not reading the article, just wondering why LEGO tries an other on-line game while the first one didn't even last a year before shut down...

Their first one had a lot of potential... but it was the execution that was really poor.

Very limited play, limited areas, severe control lag at times, sync issues...

And the locked chat(aimed at little kids)...

If funcom is making a more mature version, with a better engine and an actual decent game world and good skill mechanics, I will try that.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Reizla

My bet is that this will be F2P from the start which should help it a lot.  Minifigures fits into cash shops very well.

LEGO online should have been a great game but between the monthly sub and some bad design decisions it just sort of fell flat.  A F2P game much more focused towards the Lego video games kind of play and humor I think could do very well.  Could being the key word of that sentence. 

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Interesting. I was a fan of the first Lego MMO. Limited but was fun. To me this is shaping up as a TellTales online type of thing with deeper RPG component (main thing missing from Lego games imo).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Funcom is obviously capable of mechanically creating MMORPGs. They don't seem to be so great at creating content that grabs people. Hopefully with this one they'll get the content right. Though, with Legos, they can go in pretty much any direction they want.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    at least it will be ok if the animations are stiff.. =P

This have been a good conversation

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Lego Universe was a very good game for kids and my kids loved it.  Sadly it had a high sub cost and lacked content and suffered a few other really bad design decisions such as a lack of inventory space for your minifigure costumes.  Had it been F2P and a cash shop with outfits and substructures you could add on to your house, it would have lasted longer. 

Those of us with kids are looking forward to a game we can play with our kids.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I can't begin to trust Funcom after it's many mess-ups. Also because they are in financial woes their content updates are super slow.

Smile

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I must say this makes a lot of sense compared to the prior Lego game.  Minifigures and Lego City have a world of their own.  A lot of people seem to collect the minifigures now as opposed to when I was a kid.  The figures were just figures.  Now they seem to have a following of their own.

This methodically makes sense to tailor to that, as frankly Minecraft does Lego online what Lego online should of done.

• AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Really looking good glad Funcom has turned things around been nothing but happy with their company and products, The Secret world is pretty awesome and this looks like another solid release cant wait
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by spawn12345

funcom making lego games... what a waste :(

They always had big dreams about their mmos and were one of the few who really tried new things when everyone else were churning out the same shit year after year

dude, what did they expect they created games for people with high end computers the vast majority of people don't have monster computers and no one likes to play with lag. MMO's have to run smoothly on as many pc's as possible not just new high end pc's, to bad no one ever gave them the memo.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    i just want to add one last thing guild wars 2 runs MUCH more smoothly on both of my comps compared to age of conan ever did, when did age of conan come out again?

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Never had a problem with Age of Conan nor Guild Wars 2.  First Lego MMO was all right.  I'll probably try this one too.
  • BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Funcom has been getting TSW and AoC to a place where what is mad for one can be used for the other. I wonder if LMO is being developed with this in mind.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I give it less than a year. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

The whole point of LEGOS is that youbuild whatever you want and encourage a child's imagination.  So they do not even put in the core aspect of the product and instead make it an action MMO?

Yea....this should turn out great.  Might as well make a Star Wars MMO without any space combat....oops.

"Building is a core part of the LEGO experience and it will play a key role for the game in the form of buildables in the world that help you take down enemies, and gain access to different areas. They will also be a central component of all boss fights, and play a prominent role in PvP where you will for instance build turrets and other structures."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Lego Universe went F2P for 3 months (one month after it went F2P they announced the closer of the servers in two months time) before they pulled the plug on the game and left many of us with younger kids without a fun game world for them to play in. Sadly they didn't even give the game a chance during the F2P to grow. I never did get a refund on the 6 months we still had left on our 1 yr sub. And yes they said they would refund for any time left after the game closed.
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    After watching the video, I realized that they are using the same musical score, animations, and sound effects as the ones used in Lego Universe. Hopefully Funcom will add some stuff that isn't directly taken from Lego Universe...
  • dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    The short life and sudden death of Lego Universe feels like it leaves a large question mark over the IP.
  • MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    God damn YES!!! Lego Universe all over again, honestly I'm 21 y.o, and loved the game, you are never too old for LEGO, either way immaturity keeps us young.