Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did FFXIV just decide the PS4 and XBOX One console wars?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
I'm wondering if this game might just have tipped the scales of the console wars before it even began.   We know games like ESO and EQ Next have pretty high hype and will be going to consoles.   But since this games success has it just decided the war of consoles before it even began?   FFXIV is only on ps4 and PC because Microsoft wouldn't allow their policy to let their games on xbox one be able to be cross played on any other platforms.    What do you guys think,  will this game decide the console wars in the year to come?

Comments

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i think you seriously over thought this games popularlity
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by quseio
    i think you seriously over thought this games popularlity

Considering SE suspended digital sales and the servers are being overloaded, he may be onto something. While I don't believe the popularity of one game will make or break a console, having a line up of popular exclusive titles will certainly help. With more and more mmorpgs coming to consoles, the console who has a better history of having the genre available will attract those types of gamers to their product.

One thing is certain though. The game is far more popular than anyone anticipated, whether it retains a large portion or settles around the 400k or so SE was hoping for remains to be seen.

• JedidiahTheadoreJedidiahTheadore Member Posts: 48
    No, this game won't even be a blip on the radar of the next gen console battle.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I'm going with no.  Xbox will probably have some MMOs.  And, if Microsoft can get past it self FFXIV may even end up on it.  I mean 11 ended up on xbox eventually.
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I can't believe Microsoft could be that stupid. Some of the biggest console titles out there are cross platform games like Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, etc... I don't see EA letting Microsoft dictate to them who they make games for of what platform. I don't see Xbox doing well if they take that route. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Zydari
    I can't believe Microsoft could be that stupid. Some of the biggest console titles out there are cross platform games like Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, etc... I don't see EA letting Microsoft dictate to them who they make games for of what platform. I don't see Xbox doing well if they take that route. 

I don't think you understand the issue.  The issue is MS wants to have a part of the control of all servers that games use on the xbox. So SE would have to send updates through them and xbox servers would only have xbox players both of which SE is saying no to.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by Zydari I can't believe Microsoft could be that stupid. Some of the biggest console titles out there are cross platform games like Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, etc... I don't see EA letting Microsoft dictate to them who they make games for of what platform. I don't see Xbox doing well if they take that route. 
    I don't think you understand the issue.  The issue is MS wants to have a part of the control of all servers that games use on the xbox. So SE would have to send updates through them and xbox servers would only have xbox players both of which SE is saying no to.

That was an issue for the 360 as well, and I wouldn't say the PS3 necessarily destroyed the 360

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Not at all. If you told me the next version of  some other popular shooter series was going to switch sides and limit themselves to only the PS4 then I'd say you might have a point.

But FFXIV and even EQN are going to be rounding errors when compared to the number of units sold in the console wars.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

XBox One is already pretty much dead on arrival because of their horrible, draconian design philosophies and terrible PR.  I don't think simply going back on what they said and going, "Oh wait, never mind, just kidding."   will win them many customers back.  The damage is done, at least for release.

Xbox 360 beat out PS3 early on in their release because of the price difference, but I think PS4 and XB1 will be in a reversed position in this generation.

That being said, FFXIV, as great of a game as it is, doesn't even register on the big map of projected console game success, especially in the face of games like Call of Poopy 152: Generic Clonepaste Shootkill Extreme Edition.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by NetSage

Originally posted by Zydari I can't believe Microsoft could be that stupid. Some of the biggest console titles out there are cross platform games like Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, etc... I don't see EA letting Microsoft dictate to them who they make games for of what platform. I don't see Xbox doing well if they take that route. 

That was an issue for the 360 as well, and I wouldn't say the PS3 necessarily destroyed the 360

And, if you read my first reply you would see I said it wouldn't be a deciding factor.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Maybe not by itself, but in combination with other upcoming MMOs that will probably be on PS4/PC (and not xbox) it isn't going to help the Xbox's cause.
  • NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    As a person who decided to get a PS4 instead of a Xbox One I can tell you this game will change little. I was so unimpressed by it that I cancelled my preorder.  Maybe this game is better on a console, but on the PC I was unimpressed.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Not for me. Still getting an Xbox One.
  • Marxis2727Marxis2727 Member Posts: 12
    Sure it won't help XBox One's sales, but it definitely won't decide the console wars     image
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Xbone made crucial mistakes with their new product.
    When most of your friends jump to PS4 you automaticly follow them as you want to play with your buddy's.

There are alot og Final Fantasy fans out there, anyone who denies that is delusional.
    Final Fantasy is the most famous franchise in the history of gaming.
    Making this mmo exclusive for PS4 as MS just keep shooting their limbs off makes it much easier for PS4 to attract mmo fans and final fantasy fans.

I think most mmo players would like to play on PC tough, but its also damn chill to play mmo on the couch chilling with a green rocket and a joypad :)
    Final Fantasy sure is one hell of a game and it might have a small impact on selling extra consoles, but it wont have the impact what Microsoft did to themselves.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by fistorm
    I'm wondering if this game might just have tipped the scales of the console wars before it even began.   We know games like ESO and EQ Next have pretty high hype and will be going to consoles.   But since this games success has it just decided the war of consoles before it even began?   FFXIV is only on ps4 and PC because Microsoft wouldn't allow their policy to let their games on xbox one be able to be cross played on any other platforms.    What do you guys think,  will this game decide the console wars in the year to come?

Give the game 60 days than lets talk.

I don't think that means much honestly :P.  I've never bought someone elses account no matter how cheap it was.
  • TranquilityTranquility Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hahahahaha! Yeah forget Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, the Elder scrolls, the Sims, Crazy Birds, pac man, call of duty, gran turismo and EA sports games. Final Fantasy is excactly what people associate with video games.

For example, mario bros 1 sold 40.24 million copies.

Final Fantasy VII (the best selling FF so far) sold 9.72 million copies.

Even on the playstation Gran Turismo out-sold Final Fanasy every time.

Final Fantasy is a big franchise. You might even consider it a system seller. But to say ff14 will decide a console war? How many times have the game been sold? Half a million sold so far? And of that maybe 30% on the PS3 so far? For reference, call of duty black ops sold 12 million copies on the xbox 360 alone. Mario Cart WII sold 82.98 million.

The console war was not decided for PS3 when they had their terrible introduction and it wont be decided for microsoft now. Not by a long shot. People are giving FF14 a bit too much credit for that.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'm buying a PS4.

FFXIV won't decide who "wins".

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I can't really say anything different than I said in your other "massive success" thread. A subscription game does not become a success through box sales. Declaring FFXIv a success right now would be like declaring TOR a success in its first month.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Tranquility
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hahahahaha! Yeah forget Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, the Elder scrolls, the Sims, Crazy Birds, pac man, call of duty, gran turismo and EA sports games. Final Fantasy is excactly what people associate with video games.

For example, mario bros 1 sold 40.24 million copies.

Final Fantasy VII (the best selling FF so far) sold 9.72 million copies.

Even on the playstation Gran Turismo out-sold Final Fanasy every time.

Final Fantasy is a big franchise. You might even consider it a system seller. But to say ff14 will decide a console war? How many times have the game been sold? Half a million sold so far? And of that maybe 30% on the PS3 so far? For reference, call of duty black ops sold 12 million copies on the xbox 360 alone. Mario Cart WII sold 82.98 million.

The console war was not decided for PS3 when they had their terrible introduction and it wont be decided for microsoft now. Not by a long shot. People are giving FF14 a bit too much credit for that.

Not to mention just about every FF title to release after 11 has been hard pressed to find any real success in the industry, they've been stripped of all the uniqueness that used to set them apart. They're essentially story games with action sequences now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    I don't think delusion of grandeur is exactly a good thing.
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

No, but it will do well on the PS4 too with Gamestop letting people take any PS3 games that get released for the PS4, turn them in with $10, and you get a PS4 version of the game trade up. I would think everyone who owns it who gets a PS4 will do that with every game, including this one.

Will it decide a console war? No. No way. It's a good game though, and it's incredibly successful at this point. I love my PS3 and console versions, prefer the PS3 (which I think is amazingly fun to play), have a PS4 preordered, and plan on up converting to the PS4 version in November when it comes out. 

This is easily and without fail the best MMO UI on a console, or with a console type designed ever in the history of the genre. The UI and PS3 control make combat unbelievably fun. It feels natural and fluid.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

YES!  Because everyone that gets a console will also want this game, so when they go to buy the XB1, and see it on the PS4, no one will buy it period.