Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE firing staff.

2»

Comments

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    All I've seen from SOE is one sellout after another trying to chase the Blizzard formula.  Time to buckle down and come up with something with substance, and I'm not talking about Disneyfied cartoon games that desperately incorporate Minecraft gameplay.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Velocinox

I think EQNext is their last chance, before Sony pulls the plug on SoE.

SoE has never been a money making division of Sony. Why would this firing be any different?

They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit. SoE hasn't really produced anything succesful since EQ and EQ2.

Exactly my point. SoE has never been profitable (Which I said in the post you are replying to) and they have never made a move to shut down the game maker.

So your statement, "They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit." not only ignores the point I made in the post you are replying to, but also is obviously untrue since they haven't shut them down in over a decade of non-profitability.

Originally posted by Braindome

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Of course Obi-Wan was talking about all the Star Wars Galaxies fans that SOE murdered.....twice.

Yes the way SOE treated so many fans with SWG will be their ultimate undoing, it was the worst mistake they ever made as a company and they will rue the day. 

Give me a break. It's time to move on.

Are you still angry at the British as well.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I wonder if the casualties were all from the EQN art department...
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

SoE has never been a money making division of Sony. Why would this firing be any different?

They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit. SoE hasn't really produced anything succesful since EQ and EQ2.

Exactly my point. SoE has never been profitable (Which I said in the post you are replying to) and they have never made a move to shut down the game maker.

So your statement, "They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit." not only ignores the point I made in the post you are replying to, but also is obviously untrue since they haven't shut them down in over a decade of non-profitability.

Originally posted by Braindome

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Of course Obi-Wan was talking about all the Star Wars Galaxies fans that SOE murdered.....twice.

Yes the way SOE treated so many fans with SWG will be their ultimate undoing, it was the worst mistake they ever made as a company and they will rue the day. 

Give me a break. It's time to move on.

Are you still angry at the British as well.

Yes, I jump on the first horse and scream they're coming when I hear british accent.  

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    I think that this is normal given how many MMO's SOE is trying to juggle.

Having a lot of work to do isn't a really good justification for reducing the number of workers.  Corporate doublespeek is really hard to swallow sometimes.  My sympathies to all affected, I hope everyone lands on their feet.

• ravendiscordravendiscord Member UncommonPosts: 3

Looks to me like SOE may be up for sale or merger.

But what Do I know?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Seems EQ2 got hit -http://eq2wire.com/2013/08/28/breaking-soe-layoffs/

Shame, Gninja was one of the good devs.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    I think that this is normal given how many MMO's SOE is trying to juggle. Companies reducing their staff is not out of the ordinary though, however I think you are right that if EQN doesn't sell well that SOE may have to pull the plug on a few of its MMO's.

Please explain how a F2P game is suppose to sell well as you state.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Maybe they'll devote as many employees to EQN as they did to Vanguard........This is why alot of us aren't too excited about EQN being made by SOE......You never know what they will do and until they actually have a product do not believe the hype.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

iobviously no-one here in this thread has alot of business acumen, therefore take a grain of salt with all the fluffy speculation thats floating around here, hiring and laying off is a regular occurance in the industry just how it is.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
  • jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Arclan

Sad part is, if Smed took business 101 he could have made smarter decisions and the company would be much more profitable and growing, rather than shrinking. SOE has made some seriously terrible decisions in the past ten years.

I still don't understand sony , why and how they could keep smedley after SWG disaster , they needed someone with connection with player base. A lot of problems could be avoided with   a basic sence or connection with player base .

I guess smedley learned some after 10 years and alot of money and profit he wasted ( it look likes soe started listening player base with planetside 2 , not playing fyi ) . I am curious how will story end for SOE

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Because Sony is making huge losses lately.

Their gaming division runs a loss, they only recently did better and that was because of their mobile division, their gaming division is still losing money.

This is the third time they had to fire people in just 2 years I think.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57596503-92/sony-reverses-losses-on-the-back-of-mobile-growth/

You're using SCEx info to support your stance on SOE, which are two different divisions.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre