Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE firing staff.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I think EQNext is their last chance, before Sony pulls the plug on SoE.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/soe-announcement.539056/

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think that this is normal given how many MMO's SOE is trying to juggle. Companies reducing their staff is not out of the ordinary though, however I think you are right that if EQN doesn't sell well that SOE may have to pull the plug on a few of its MMO's.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Any company that focuses only on MMOs in today's market and gaming landscape is going to be hurting. Them saying they plan on continuing to focus on just that would make me worry even if I survived this bit of layoffs as it would likely mean more will happen sometime in the future.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

SoE has never been a money making division of Sony. Why would this firing be any different?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Velocinox

SoE has never been a money making division of Sony. Why would this firing be any different?

Because Sony is making huge losses lately.

Their gaming division runs a loss, they only recently did better and that was because of their mobile division, their gaming division is still losing money.

They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit. SoE hasn't really produced anything succesful since EQ and EQ2.

This is the third time they had to fire people in just 2 years I think.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57596503-92/sony-reverses-losses-on-the-back-of-mobile-growth/

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Reorganisation is unfortunately for employees a normal thing in large companies. It is silly how announcements like these always lead to doom and gloom threads. Also, I don't think that EQ2 or EQ are doing bad financially.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Also, I don't think that EQ2 or EQ are doing bad financially.

They're not, that's the only thing keeping SoE alive atm. But these games aren't exactly growing, they're a decade old.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It keeps the advertising name Sony relevant though, which is priceless, even if the rewards are not directly quantifiable.  Especially when dealing with up and coming consumers.

Firings though are not necessarily a good thing, even if the projects being worked on are increasingly irrelevant.  It's bad PR, and those employees likely have skills that could be applied elsewhere in the company.  A loyal longtime employee > new employee.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

They're not, that's the only thing keeping SoE alive atm. But these games aren't exactly growing, they're a decade old.

The only reason I commented in this thread is because of your assumption in the OP that EQNext is their last chance. There is no reason to conclude that because they announce a reorganisation. It is normal for companies to reorganise to adapt to market changes. Getting rid of employees at those moments doesn't mean they won't be hiring new people for new positions. Sometimes it is just easier (read cheaper) for companies to fire and hire instead of reschool. Reassigning isnt always possible.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I wish they would be kind enough to release which game devs got the pink slip?

Did the 3 guys at Vanguard have to pull straws to decide who went? Or was it whatever remained of the Planetside 2 team that hadn't already been cannibalized for EQN?

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Some of these let go were probably the developers that just finished the 20th Everquest expansion.

With EQ Next coming down the line maybe they are finally ready to pull the plug on Everquest itself.

Originally posted by Grixxitt

Did the 3 guys at Vanguard have to pull straws to decide who went? Or was it whatever remained of the Planetside 2 team that hadn't already been cannibalized for EQN?

Lol, I can imagine those 3 Vanguard devs working from a room in the basement floor next to a noisy boiler room in some SOE officebuilding. Laying low, hoping that the suits won't discover them. Silently working on tidbits of precious Vanguard code. With all the changes in management at SOE, only the janitor still knows the VG devs by name :p

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

End of the Clone Wars and its license,maybe.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Lol, I can imagine those 3 Vanguard devs working from a room in the basement floor next to a noisy boiler room in some SOE officebuilding. Laying low, hoping that the suits won't discover them. Silently working on tidbits of precious Vanguard code. With all the changes in management at SOE, only the janitor still knows the VG devs by name :p

Bob Slydell: Yeah, we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.

Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Bob Slydell: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.

Bill Lumbergh: Greeeat.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Because Sony is making huge losses lately.

Their gaming division runs a loss, they only recently did better and that was because of their mobile division, their gaming division is still losing money.

They're not going to keep SoE alive if they can't run a profit. SoE hasn't really produced anything succesful since EQ and EQ2.

This is the third time they had to fire people in just 2 years I think.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57596503-92/sony-reverses-losses-on-the-back-of-mobile-growth/

And i thought F2P games make so much profit.. at least a lot of people get not tired telling this. Especially the rather new and actually a lot played Planetside 2 should make at least some profit...

On the other side.. firing a few people doesn't mean a lot in todays business world.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Its kind of Ironic because on some of the official SOE forums and the EQ/EQ2/EQN fansites...

They were talking about how Bill Trost was back at SOE and they had hired back a bunch that had left for Trion and 38 Studio's.  I don't really pay attention was just comments I have read and people saying some of the devs were people they didn't want back at SOE...

Then I come here and see this thread...

As to SOE... it used to be part of the movie division.   afaik now its in the same division as playstation ... which is pretty much actually how it all started because it was originally part of Sony Interactive Studio's America.. which went on to be purely consoles.   Anyway the concept being SOE as it is now would never get the plug pulled unless the playstation online services go away....   As opposed to perhaps some of the less active MMO's being retired as new games come out.

As other have stated its vague and they don't say much... as to whether it was actual SOE employees (aka on site) or the contracted workers for a particular project.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I always thought PS2 and Free Realms where SOE's big money makers these days.  I'm sure EQ2 and EQ don't do bad but they are shells of the communities they once where.  Between people leaving the game, whole guilds and individual players transfering off to busier servers GUK has lost all but a handful of it's really active guilds. 

On the other hand as much as I hate to see people loose their jobs Dragon's Prophets F2P model needs to fall flat on it's face big time or EQN might just follow it's lead.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The only reason I commented in this thread is because of your assumption in the OP that EQNext is their last chance. There is no reason to conclude that because they announce a reorganisation. It is normal for companies to reorganise to adapt to market changes. Getting rid of employees at those moments doesn't mean they won't be hiring new people for new positions. Sometimes it is just easier (read cheaper) for companies to fire and hire instead of reschool. Reassigning isnt always possible.

Sure, but how long will a parent company let a group run at a loss? At some point they won't accept that anymore. If EQNext doesn't stop the out flow of money, would Sony just look the other way for years or would they severely trim down/close down games to try to get the company somewhere in the black? Or would they even go so far some day to shut the whole group down?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Karteli

It keeps the advertising name Sony relevant though, which is priceless, even if the rewards are not directly quantifiable.  Especially when dealing with up and coming consumers.

Firings though are not necessarily a good thing, even if the projects being worked on are increasingly irrelevant.  It's bad PR, and those employees likely have skills that could be applied elsewhere in the company.  A loyal longtime employee > new employee.

Not always the case. New employees can bring fresh new ideas,as  well as having a smaller wage, and less benefits. 

Now getting rid of performers that is what will now likely hurt you. You go to alot of companies and see that older employees many time lack the fire and passion of newer ones.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Three devs at Vanguard, that is laughable. Vanguard had one dev who also worked on other projects as well. Then SoE fired him 2 years ago after the f2p conversion didn't bring in the expected numbers. Nobody has worked on Vanguard since then.
    The only reason they keep the server open is because of station pass.

Planetside 2 is certainly profitable, however letting go of most of their staff and putting that game into maintenance mode is probably a smart thing to do as SoE diverts resources to launching EQ-Next.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Of course Obi-Wan was talking about all the Star Wars Galaxies fans that SOE murdered.....twice.

Yes the way SOE treated so many fans with SWG will be their ultimate undoing, it was the worst mistake they ever made as a company and they will rue the day. 

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Sad part is, if Smed took business 101 he could have made smarter decisions and the company would be much more profitable and growing, rather than shrinking. SOE has made some seriously terrible decisions in the past ten years.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/soe-announcement.539056/

Dude, it's the "New Normal".  They are simply trimming down to get under the 50 employee mandate at which time all employees must be provided with health insurance as per Obamacare.  Once that's done, all remaining employees will be reduced to 30 hours a week.

Just kidding.  I doubt that SOE is done if EQN isn't a huge success.  At worst they will circle the wagons, re-organize and then attack with a renewed vigor.  Well, it sounds good anyway.  We will have to see though.  EQN may be huge. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Arclan

Sad part is, if Smed took business 101 he could have made smarter decisions and the company would be much more profitable and growing, rather than shrinking. SOE has made some seriously terrible decisions in the past ten years.

Monday quarterbacking?

Do you think you can run it better than he does?

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Honestly if you look back at SOE nay the entire gaming market year after year they have ebbs and flows of staffing. It is one of the most volatile industries in the world. SOE has a release of staff almost every year at the same time, and then a rehiring in the next year. They seem to be constantly shrinking but they are actually constantly expanding and contracting, sort of like breathing.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Someone botched up the chance to solidify the console wars and now Sony's wrath is coming down on SOE. EqNext to PS4 announcement incoming!!!