Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Red 5 Wants You to Reclaim Earth

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

At last week's Gamescom, Red 5 released a ton of new information about the next open beta patch. In it, players will be asked to literally reclaim the Earth. Find out more about what's in store before heading to the comments to leave your thoughts.

The initial release of Open Beta is where players were first introduced to Melding Repulsors. In the Melding Pockets of Diamondhead, Antarctica, and Sargasso Sea players had to mine Crystite to fuel these machines that can push back the Melding and make the areas hospitable for humans again. The next stages of the war on the Chosen will be similar, with players working together across the server to mine resources that power much larger Melding Repulsors. It’ll be a worldwide effort that takes several weeks at a time. Players’ contributions will be tracked on a player and army basis to divvy out rewards to all. But simply peeling back the melding is just the beginning of the process.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Firefall: Red 5 Wants You to Reclaim Earth.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yes -this news came last week- and it seems promising, if Red 5 does what they do how they do it- itll be epic. - well constructed.

time is their achillees heel but being a smaller company- one needs to be patient. lets just hope nothing holds them back (stability issues etc) for them to go forward with this milestone!

=)

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Cover me,Porkins!
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Firefall is somewhat limited in what it is, but it's awesome fun.  I tried it on a whim and have been playing it tons for over two weeks now.  It's completely free too, nothing you buy gets you extra power.  You can get XP boosts or cosmetic stuff, but I've been able to progress and upgrade my gear at a great pace even without.

Plus, it has the closest thing i've ever seen to SWG's crafting system (it's VERY close, right down to every mined resources having a rating out of 1000 and multiple attributes that are used in crafting different components).

It's fun, it's free and it's expanding.  If you want a fun shooter with very deep crafting, give it a go. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Arieste is absolutely correct. Fun unique experience that keeps me coming back. The world needs to expand and some polish on the UI and game systems. That aside though it is a blast!
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Great game, if they will do what they promised, it would be one of the best shooter/mmo I have ever played. Original, fun, challenging crafting. Hope they will make it bigger and challenging/hard. Like very much. The Defiance should learn here something.  
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Is it PvP optional like Defiance, Rift, EQ2, GW2, Tera, etc.  or is it PvP "optional" the way EVE or Aion is?  I've turned into a carebear over the years and don't really want to pvp right now.

PvP optional with the promise of open world PvP in the future.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Is it PvP optional like Defiance, Rift, EQ2, GW2, Tera, etc.  or is it PvP "optional" the way EVE or Aion is?  I've turned into a carebear over the years and don't really want to pvp right now.

There wasn't open world PvP since now. Some arenas etc. Never played, because I don't need PvP. Now with new patch there should be some bigger area near one city. Where player can fight without suffer from durability gear dmg. I think there will be some world pvp in future, we will see. I am for PvP if it's not Mortal Online style PvP.  Lets all enjoy what is fun for them, no problem with that. I will maybe kill someone from backup/bush and the cowardly run away :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Like it. Good idea to "change the world".
  • fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Loved it, waiting for OW PVP thought...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• SlayblazeSlayblaze Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Great additions to what is becoming a great game!
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

There's a problem with this article.

None of those things are in the Open Beta currently.  The only thing added recently was the Arsenal battle frame and some red bean sinks.

According to Mark Kern and their staff on the website the "warfront" updates are months down the line. I honestly don't even understand what this "announcement" is trying to accomplish they announced this already from day one. This is stuff Red5 has been promising for 2 years now.  They're just starting now?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This game is really heavy on the crafting. And it ain't cheap. Game world is still a bit on the small side and you will quickly be doing the same things over and over. It was fun for me for about a month and now i hardly login. It has to be the smallest beta game world i've ever been in. Its fun for awhile and worth checking out. The only things i don't like about the game are the frame grinding and heavy crafting. If your not into crafting then you should skip this game. And the better the item drop or crafted means it will break and become useless. The lower stock items last the longest in this game or don't break. The frame grinding as i call it might not bother most but grind is grind to me. You may become master of one frame but try a different one is starting all over again. You bring zero xp or skill to another frame.You could have 100k xp pool but try another frame and you have zero. I understand that this may not be a problem for most but it is to me.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    When they are smart enough to realize you need both pve and pvp servers...I'll play...for now...I've had enough pve since it started back with Nintendo...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Played it, not a bad game but it gets boring pretty fast.  If they had open world pvp or rather...semi-open world pvp game would be a ton of fun to make up for its current lack of content.

BTW MMORPG.com has the game as final, but this article talks about beta patch o.O

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Salenger

Played it, not a bad game but it gets boring pretty fast.  If they had open world pvp or rather...semi-open world pvp game would be a ton of fun to make up for its current lack of content.

BTW MMORPG.com has the game as final, but this article talks about beta patch o.O

Yeap...still blows me away when these companies just make one server or the other...you need both a pvp and a pve server.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We list it as final, because it's taking money and there are no wipes coming. It's as good as live. Red 5 calls it Open Beta, similar to how Neverwinter or even Farmville did in the past.  But in our book: no wipes + taking money = released.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

We list it as final, because it's taking money and there are no wipes coming. It's as good as live. Red 5 calls it Open Beta, similar to how Neverwinter or even Farmville did in the past.  But in our book: no wipes + taking money = released.

I am glad you all have decided to take that course of action. This beta stuff is getting silly.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Amped about this content coming. I hope they do it well.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Seems its time i tryed on a battleframe. Ive had my eye on this game for a while i can resist no longer

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Repulsing the melding doesn't actually do anything though. Just gives you more empty space to thump and kill random creatures. No humans actually reclaim it. Its a story without a reality.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I am still waiting for their promised open world PVP before I ever think about getting into Firefall.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

They should be more interested in me wanting to reclaim my lost time.

lol j/k  Fun game though a little repetitive and slow crafting. In groups it's a blast, solo is meh. 

All personal opinion here. It's free so...can't complain too much, can I?!  image

• mattadams007mattadams007 Member Posts: 70
    Hey Red 5 do You really want to make it fun or dynamic?  Then how about making "The Chosen" a playable/faction race.