Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Painfully average.

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

OP, i'm just messing around, or is this how we really feel about your post.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67ucv_stupidest-thing-i-ve-ever-heard_fun

PS: All in fun, nobody blow up just have a good laugh.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

ALL quests/missions can be described as and reduced to standard fetch and kill quests.

Not sure what some people expect. Whatever it is, it will be kill/fetch/talk...

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I like Final Fantasy games, I think that this could have been a really good game but they dropped the ball early on and didn't do enough afterwards to warrant it as a major player. I am not sure if this is still the case, but the reason I skipped it in the end was the fact that it was not offered to PC, anyone know if that has changed or  is it still console only?
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

FFXIV is a WoW clone, if you buy it without knowing this by now then...I don't know what to say.

People have said it enough times now.

If WoW is your thing, you might like FFXIV

If WoW is not your thing, you won't like FFXIV

If you hate Fed-ex quests don't even think about playing it, that's half of the game.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly. I fancied a new themepark in wow vanilla style but new story/world/lore to enjoy and got what I expected - not cutting edge but decent enough and fun.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IMBanksIMBanks Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Er, Wakygeek, you must have mistakenly logged into the wrong forums. FF14 is, and always has been, a PC game, though it also has a PS3/4 option.
  • EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

FFXIV is a WoW clone, if you buy it without knowing this by now then...I don't know what to say.

People have said it enough times now.

If WoW is your thing, you might like FFXIV

If WoW is not your thing, you won't like FFXIV

If you hate Fed-ex quests don't even think about playing it, that's half of the game.

Hated WoW but im enjoying FF so far.... well when i can log in that is 

Originally posted by IMBanks
    Er, Wakygeek, you must have mistakenly logged into the wrong forums. FF14 is, and always has been, a PC game, though it also has a PS3/4 option.

Sadly enough my friend told me a while back that it was PS3 only rofl, I didn't think to check myself because of what happened with 1.0. Now that I have confirmed it was a PC release as well I may have to pick it up to keep me busy until EQN or Destiny comes out.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Cetra
    Originally posted by Ridrith

it's average in every conceivable way.

So wrong.

FFXIV may be a traditional themepark mmo but its a very well done game.

I would agree with Cetra's statement.

It is not innovative in the sense they are pushing a lot of boundaries, but they are doing some really cool things (like the Armory and the crafting) and it is very, very well made and not at all "average."

RIFT was/is an average MMO. As dry and flavorless as can be.

FF has charm, a unique sense of itself.

We'll see how I feel after a month lol I'm already having OMG SO MUCH TO DO overload thinking about leveling up a half dozen classes/jobs and crafting and then housing and PvP and raiding....

Wouldn't that really depend on the aesthetics and their appeal to the end user? I found them to both to be around the same quality of experience, although I'd say i prefer the aesthetic in Rift a bit more, it's darker, and the art style is grittier ( a preference of mine). FFXIV had in contrast a more whimsical fairyland type of vibe. It's pretty, but a little on the goofy side. I've never really been a FF fan though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

after hitting 36 just now and done the sunken temple along with Titan, I can say this game is finally 10/10 for me. but it is definitely aimed for those who wants an RPG into their MMO hence the name MMORPG. 

I suspect soon enough people who doesnt like MMOs will play it just to finish the storyline and get immersed in this true RPG environment, I am just a super fan-boy now I guess.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

So wrong.

Painfully average? lol

I wish you all the best to finding the ultimate mmo of your dreams.

But i doubt any mmo now or the future can meet your expectations.

It is HIS opinion. His opinion is not wrong to him. He was expressing it thusly.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by botrytis

So wrong.

Painfully average? lol

I wish you all the best to finding the ultimate mmo of your dreams.

It is HIS opinion. His opinion is not wrong to him. He was expressing it thusly.

I'm sure you wouldnt be singing the same tune if he was saying that about GW2 :)

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Daggra
    Gosh, I find it really polished and fun. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, you're absolutely right. But, what it does - it does very well. It's quality work imo..

To me that sounds about average as well. It should be really well done, there have been several really well done mmo's.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by Daggra
    Gosh, I find it really polished and fun. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, you're absolutely right. But, what it does - it does very well. It's quality work imo..

To me that sounds about average as well. It should be really well done, there have been several really well done mmo's.

Out of all recent AAA mmorpgs, how many have been "well done"? 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hmm let me look in the past mmo marked at themepark.

Warhammer
    Aion
    SWTOR
    GW2
    FF ARR

i can say right now that FF ARR beats any of those in the list.
    but hey you cant please everyone right ?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Well, I just hit level 10 on my character.  Here's my feelings thus far:

Graphics - Very nice.  Best yet of an MMO to date.

Music/Sound - Very nice as well.

Questing - Meh.  Very uninspired.  I feel the writing(at least so far) are on the same level as Tera.  I am trying to read the quest log/interactions but my mind wanders.  It's just so bland and uninteresting.

Combat - Typical 1 2 3 tab combat.

Overall - Aside from the beautiful graphics, I am not quite sure what the appeal is for this game yet.  Of course, perhaps the game opens up further down, but at the current state, I am just not really engaged in the game thus far.  I'm surprised because at least with Tera I was actually having a lot of fun at this level.  I find myself playing but thinking about other games.

(I mention Tera a lot in my comparison because to me, that is what the game feels a lot like).

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Shouldn't that be the title of this site's index page?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by grimal

Questing - Meh.  Very uninspired.  I feel the writing(at least so far) are on the same level as Tera.  I am trying to read the quest log/interactions but my mind wanders.  It's just so bland and uninteresting.

Overall - Aside from the beautiful graphics, I am not quite sure what the appeal is for this game yet.  Of course, perhaps the game opens up further down, but at the current state, I am just not really engaged in the game thus far.  I'm surprised because at least with Tera I was actually having a lot of fun at this level.  I find myself playing but thinking about other games.

(I mention Tera a lot in my comparison because to me, that is what the game feels a lot like).

You missed "interdependent crafting", maybe that's why you are not really liking it :D?

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by grimal

Looks like you already made up your mind, why force yourself?  Go play the other games you are thinking about, you would feel so much better :)

• drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    I like Final Fantasy games, I think that this could have been a really good game but they dropped the ball early on and didn't do enough afterwards to warrant it as a major player. I am not sure if this is still the case, but the reason I skipped it in the end was the fact that it was not offered to PC, anyone know if that has changed or  is it still console only?

Okay I have to ask. No.  I NEED  to ask.  How do you get on this website, into a thread reviewing a game, and then complain that "they dropped the ball" because a game that was released for PC, and never advertised as PS3 only, wasn't released for PC?  

If you have so little information of a game that you don't even know what platform it's on then you really have no opinion of the game at all.

Almost as awesome as the guy that reviewed the game as being terrible because he(someone that has played other mmorpgs) couldn't navigate the start city....with two parts....and a mini map...and full map....and quest markers on the map.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hmm let me look in the past mmo marked at themepark.

Warhammer
    Aion
    SWTOR
    GW2
    FF ARR

i can say right now that FF ARR beats any of those in the list.
    but hey you cant please everyone right ?

You can say it sure, that doesn't make it any more true than someone who'd pick any of those games over it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91

I don't know OP. "painfully" and "average" means something very different to me. Other than the log-in issues, I haven't found anything painful or average in this game. In fact, I fount it pretty awesome. /shrug

Good luck on your epic quest to find the perfect MMO tho. Please share if you ever find it in our lifetime.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

I have to agree with the OP in it being Average in the aspect that it doesn't bring anything new to the table at all. The combat, questing, even the job and crafting system are all done in the same or at least extremely similiar ways to many other games that have come out over the years.

That being said however the graphics and music are great and the story I found interesting and overall the game was pretty well polished and a lot of fun to play, moreso than numerous other games even. It just kinda lacked any other real wow factor other than it being Final Fantasy for me is all. Again I think it's a great game and a lot of fun but personally with the lack of anything new or innovative I just didn't find it worth buying to subscribe to over everything else thats out there atm.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    well what did you expect?

they set out to fix a broken game and that goal was achieved perfectly they never intented to make a new game

so imo its stupid to expect something revolutionary or interesting since the original broken game (1.0) that was used as a base was a WoW clone in its core from the wow clone era

sure people like it for now since its new and shiny but they will eventualy leave, excluding those hardcore fanboys who wanted the original game to work so much but it didnt and their hunger for it was never answered they will most likely play the shit out of it untill they start to see cat girls under their beds and roagaedyns under their pillows

this game at its best will offer 2 months worth of attention and that tells me how shallow the game mechanics really are.

Trinity check

WoW combat check

full on screen UI check

over the top skill visuals check so much in fact that it makes even trinity combat look chaotic and mindless mess

forced story lines check

well i guess they work the way they are supposed to in their boring and simple ways

yeah sure this type of game is not for everyone i get that and i dont mean to offend anyone who enjoys this type of games

Originally posted by drekz
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Okay I have to ask. No.  I NEED  to ask.  How do you get on this website, into a thread reviewing a game, and then complain that "they dropped the ball" because a game that was released for PC, and never advertised as PS3 only, wasn't released for PC?  

If you have so little information of a game that you don't even know what platform it's on then you really have no opinion of the game at all.

Almost as awesome as the guy that reviewed the game as being terrible because he(someone that has played other mmorpgs) couldn't navigate the start city....with two parts....and a mini map...and full map....and quest markers on the map.

I still think they dropped the ball that is my opinion based on the amount of knowledge I had on the game at the time, mechanics, testing phase, releasing a broken product etc. I had asked my friend at the time who owned the ps3 copy if it was avail for PC, he told me that it was not and I just went with what he said.