Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Record breaking launch

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/28/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-shatters-more-records-187000-concurrent-connections-200000-expected-soon/

Despite numerous problems and severely limited access to servers FF14 was still able to reach an incredible number of people logged in at the same time.

But, these numbers will not continue if they do not fix the server problems.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Is FFXIV a single-server MMO? If so, that's amazing. If not, I don't follow what record is being broken here. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Imagine how many concurrent connections would occur if the error 1017 wasn't happening. Probably 300k+
  • DaggraDaggra Member Posts: 24
    Well, it is a very good, well-advertised game. I am glad to see it doing so well. It is too bad that it is a victim of its own success. Here's hoping they fix up the servers soon!
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

It's a  record just for the company....

but how does a company with 150k people on open beta, only plan for an additional 37k people once it goes live... Numbers should be double!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The record is only for Japanese companies. Both WoW and GW2 have recorded higher. There are probably others too (SWTOR?) but I don't have the numbers off the top of my head.  GW2 recently stated that they had 460k concurrent.
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

LOL they are misleading so hard, those numbers are not impressive.

They are not ground breaking, they are lower than most other mmos at launch.  They are just record breaking for a FF MMO LOL

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

That's not so record breaking if you ask me.

DOTA2 has more than 300k at times and it's not even a MMORPG.

SE can't handle 200k people? That's sad. Makes the situation even worse, lol.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Is FFXIV a single-server MMO? If so, that's amazing. If not, I don't follow what record is being broken here. 

As per the article linked: "record for a game operated by a Japanese company"

If you are talking for all games, they are NOWHERE near the record... Hell, GW2 had 400k concurrent users in beta and they didn't even break the record.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    The level of reading comprehension in this forum is astoundingly low.
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I just 'shattered' the record for most pizza slices eaten in my office on a Wednesday afternoon in late August!!!

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I'm surprised it's beaten / beating PSO2 with the later being a F2P game. Not too shabby at all. Shame it isn't a sci-fi MMO , then I would be all over it.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Xssiv

I just 'shattered' the record for most pizza slices eaten in my office on a Wednesday afternoon in late August!!!

Congrats. I hope you don't shat a record in 3 hours!

Congrats to SE as well, this is great news!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"record for a game operated by a Japanese company"

Says it right there.

Might want to update the thread title OP to avoid and further confusion from folks who don't read well.

Keep up the good work SE!

You're job of launching the game doesn't end until 1017 ends!

Then it's on to the mad rush to add content and systems to keep us playing long term! Good luck!

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Its infuriating how news sites mislead people with titles that do not tell the whole truth.

It might be a record for the said company indeed, but its not record breaking in grand scale, not even close.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Says it right there.

Might want to update the thread title OP to avoid and further confusion from folks who don't read well.

Keep up the good work SE!

You're job of launching the game doesn't end until 1017 ends!

Then it's on to the mad rush to add content and systems to keep us playing long term! Good luck!

They have 187k concurrent and expect to be able to support 200k soon... Out of how many sales? I recall they had 1 million sign-ups for beta, and on the official forums people are saying that they expected 800k sales and got 6 million. Lets assume that they only had the 800k they expected though... If their infrastructure can't even support 200k users, and they have 800k sales... That doesn't bode well for 1017.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Its infuriating how news sites mislead people with titles that do not tell the whole truth.

It might be a record for the said company indeed, but its not record breaking in grand scale, not even close.

What about the people who fail to actually read the news then blame the news for misleading them?

You know...people like you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Says it right there.

Nice dig. ;) 

I read it. I just found it hard to believe they would pull something like that and think their fans would be stupid enough not  to see right through it. Evidently, they're spot on.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    just playing devil's advocate here.......but doesnt not having an idle timeout (something just about every MMO has)  kind of skew those numbers?
    Originally posted by doodphace
    just playing devil's advocate here.......but doesnt not having an idle timeout (something just about every MMO has)  kind of skew those numbers?

Yes, it does...

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Also have to factor in the game originally bombed.  I hope FFXIV becomes a big sucess  Wether I like the game or not isnt the factor.  The fact that all other MMO's that failed went F2P or in WARs case did nothing, the industry has the mindset that F2p is the best option. Even if your game sucks just make it f2p and nickle and dime players to make profit. Because once a P2P game fails after the first few months there no way of saving it.

Well SE did something different instead of leaving it as is and adding f2p features they  went back to the drawing board and tried to fix all the problems there game had. And re-released it with a box price and a sub model.

If they pull this off with success it shows that a good game makes you money not half-@55 cr@9 and even if your game isnt well received hard work and creative ideas not f2p gimmicks is the way to succeed.

Broke a record in Japan .. good I hope they get more notice by the media. Even if its for the biggest Extension cord used in a game studio.