Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SE has stopped Sales due to Server issues.

taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Square Enix has removed the digital version of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn from sale as players struggle to log in and play.

Players of the MMORPG, which released this week, currently face long wait times. For some it's unplayable.

In a note on the game's Facebook page, Square Enix described the response to this week's release of the rebooted MMO as "overwhelmingly positive", and said this was causing the "extremely long wait times".

Rest at: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-28-final-fantasy-14-removed-from-sale-following-server-woes

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

This is the most inept company I have seen. Rift had the same problem at launch and pumped out more and more servers every hour to allow people to play. THAT is how you do it. I don't care about server populations later, that problem is easily solved with merges. 

Cutting off sales to allow people who want to play the game in the game is an oxymoron. That is not a fix, it is not even a temporary fix because I already cannot get in the game with the current population.

This is Diablo III for me all over again. By the time I could play I did not care to anymore. Never had an MMO where I actually considered calling my bank to get a refund on my credit card.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Mako482

This is the most inept company I have seen. Rift had the same problem at launch and pumped out more and more servers every hour to allow people to play. THAT is how you do it. I don't care about server populations later, that problem is easily solved with merges. 

Cutting off sales to allow people who want to play the game in the game is an oxymoron. That is not a fix, it is not even a temporary fix because I already cannot get in the game with the current population.

This is Diablo III for me all over again. By the time I could play I did not care to anymore. Never had an MMO where I actually considered calling my bank to get a refund on my credit card.

Didn't you just imply in your other post that the companies are doing this for profit as the gamers are accepting of this behaviour? Tell me then why the hell would they stop sales due to server issues?

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

I bet you were one of those people screaming bloody murder when they ran out of ps3's when they first launched.

too much demand, not enough product.... happens all the time. at least they are addressing the problem within a few days.

stop acting like SE is different from all the other companies. every single mmorpg that launched has always had heinous problems. the majority of people can play and are playing the game right now, unlike other launches.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by gessekai332

I bet you were one of those people screaming bloody murder when they ran out of ps3's when they first launched.

too much demand, not enough product.... happens all the time. at least they are addressing the problem within a few days.

stop acting like SE is different from all the other companies. every single mmorpg that launched has always had heinous problems. the majority of people can play and are playing the game right now, unlike other launches.

The level of these problems by SE are worse than any other MMORPG launch I recall. Servers have issues and things like this are certainly to be expected but a lot of  the current problems could have been planned for to lessen the extent of them. Letting open beta characters carry over to the final version was a stupid stupid stupid decision and must be playing a big part in server lockings. The fact nobody ever thought of implementing an AFK booter is even more absurd.

So yes, demand has exceeded their expectations, but that hardly justifies everything we're going through. Now brb, it's 11:22am and I'm already having to spam my server just to get access to it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by gessekai332

The level of these problems by SE are worse than any other MMORPG launch I recall. Servers have issues and things like this are certainly to be expected but a lot of  the current problems could have been planned for to lessen the extent of them. Letting open beta characters carry over to the final version was a stupid stupid stupid decision and must be playing a big part in server lockings. The fact nobody ever thought of implementing an AFK booter is even more absurd.

So yes, demand has exceeded their expectations, but that hardly justifies everything we're going through. Now brb, it's 11:22am and I'm already having to spam my server just to get access to it.

If you bothered to read the notices these past days, then you would have known that the server lockings are in Place due to issues with the Duty Finder!

And hopefully With todays maintenance they are making the first steps to address this.

• EssedariusEssedarius Member UncommonPosts: 19

I think you are wrong. Here is why.

Pumping out new servers every hour is exactly what swtor did. Swtor also holds the record for loosing the most players in the shortest amount of time. If you just start throwing up servers as quickly as possible you will just end up with dozens of unpopulated servers in a few weeks. And people on those servers will be more likely to quit playing then paying to transfer server, because there is nothing more boring then standing in the middle of an abandoned massive MMO capital. 

I think SE is doing exactly the right thing. They are aiming for the future. By expanding the capacity of the servers, and not just the # of servers, they are making servers that will remain balanced, populated, and better for the players. I'm not trying to bash swtor, i really enjoyed it, but what drove me away was that even the zones were instanced. Low population servers, with instanced zones made the game feel empty of other people. 

This tactic has actually made me more interested in playing, because when i get on i will be on a better more populated server, even if i have to wait a little while. 

-Esse

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Originally posted by Essedarius

Pumping out new servers every hour is exactly what swtor did. Swtor also holds the record for loosing the most players in the shortest amount of time. If you just start throwing up servers as quickly as possible you will just end up with dozens of unpopulated servers in a few weeks. And people on those servers will be more likely to quit playing then paying to transfer server, because there is nothing more boring then standing in the middle of an abandoned massive MMO capital. 

I think SE is doing exactly the right thing. They are aiming for the future. By expanding the capacity of the servers, and not just the # of servers, they are making servers that will remain balanced, populated, and better for the players. I'm not trying to bash swtor, i really enjoyed it, but what drove me away was that even the zones were instanced. Low population servers, with instanced zones made the game feel empty of other people. 

This tactic has actually made me more interested in playing, because when i get on i will be on a better more populated server, even if i have to wait a little while. 

-Esse

This guy hit it on the nose.

Even though the game has problems now, it would be more problematic if the servers would empty in a few months, and we all know how server merges are taken by players on forums, "OH GOD SERVER MERGES! THE GAME IS DYING!".

The "suffer a little now and be thankful later" attitude is the right way to go. I totally agree.

However, I DISAGREE that features should be shut off for an extended period of time due to this, such as the duty finder and QUEST TRACKING ( WTF!? ). I understand it must be part of some server stablity issue, however, it's working on close to a week since they flipped the on switch for this game. They are working pretty slowly compared to other MMO launches, and I've been in a  lot of them.

So, I'm very tentative about the current situation. Server locks? Yes. Feature turn-offs? No.

SE needs to somewhat get their shit together.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by halfmystic

However, I DISAGREE that features should be shut off for an extended period of time due to this, such as the duty finder and QUEST TRACKING ( WTF!? ). I understand it must be part of some server stablity issue, however, it's working on close to a week since they flipped the on switch for this game. They are working pretty slowly compared to other MMO launches, and I've been in a  lot of them.

So, I'm very tentative about the current situation. Server locks? Yes. Feature turn-offs? No.

Huh! Where did you read that?  Did they turn off the Duty finder again?

All I read in today´s maintenance regarding Duty Finder was this:

- Preparations for handling an influx in concurrent user counts as a result of split processing the duty finder

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by halfmystic

Huh! Where did you read that?  Did they turn off the Duty finder again?

All I read in today´s maintenance regarding Duty Finder was this:

- Preparations for handling an influx in concurrent user counts as a result of split processing the duty finder

I was playing last night and I swear the quest tracker was off, which was.. odd to me.

The duty finder was fine but it was really bad during the early access period.

Other than that, every other feature in the game is working out fine. I just wish I could have made a character on my friend's server but that is understandable on why they didn't allow me to.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by Essedarius

-Esse

I think you're missing a couple important factors in SWTOR's hardship that could have salvaged their situation.  First, they lacked any sort of group finder for months and months, which exacerbated the sparseness of servers since players had no easy way to group to complete content.  Next, they waited until servers were fully dead to carry out any mergers or even offer transfers to more populated ones.  Had they acted in a timely, aggressive way to keep players from feeling they were lonely and stranded, they could have retained a lot more of their starting numbers.  As it happened, they were so slow with implementing fixes that there was little left to salvage by 1.2.

SE, on the other hand, is poised to be aggressive in the future if they need to.  They've got a cross-server duty finder for starters, they've already got the tech to allow transfers, and, most importantly, they've been in the MMO business long enough to know when the right time for mergers arrives.  Yes, people will complain and doomsay when/if mergers occur but that's nothing new (especially around these parts).  What's more certain, though, is that they risk souring the relationship of many potential players before there's even time to establish it by keeping players from being able to reliably play the game.  In this genre, with their pay model, and the outcome of 1.0 still in memory, SE can't afford to do that.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

GW2 stops sales to fix  current launch issues:   Hailed as the hero of MMO´s and the proof of it´s quality and it´s committement to it´s community and their will to fix the issues and queues.

FFXIV stops sales to fix current launch issues:   The devil incarnate, should burn in hell.

GW2 devs make a short "we are there, guys": Hailed as the proof of how much the devs love the mmo industry.

FFXIV main dev has an emotional breakdown as he sincerely apologizes for the launch issues: Told to go do harakiri and that whatever they say is just an excuse.

Sincerely,

-The mmorpg.com community.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hi, next time could you please link items that you copy and paste in here. 

Our policy here is to not paste entire pieces from other sites, since we hope other places will excerpt and link to ours as well.

I am editing the OP to put the credit in.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Glad i preordered.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22

man, I doubt GW2 started off with 50 or so servers at launch. FFXIV started with 50 servers day 1 and they're all packed. Go back to GW2, we don't want you here anyways.

we have the option to play on JP servers. I've been playing on a JP server and my ping is freaken amazing, no fighting crowds for mobs (JP sleeping during my play time), and the durty finder lets me get my instances done without the worry of language barriers. All in all the damn game is amazing. I can see myself wasting another 5yrs of my life just like I did nearly 10yrs ago in FFXI and I am damn happy about it.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

as someone said on Massively.com..

LET"S BLAME GODZILLA!

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Playing on a Japanese server isn't really an option for most players who want to be a little more social in the game. The game let's you communicate enough to play instances and so on but not really for most social interaction in linkshells and the like. It isn't a good option for most players.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Cartmanland, enough said.
  • ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22

If by social you mean /shouting nonsense and trolling? cause that's all I saw during the brief time on NA servers lol. . .

All sillyness aside, there are a nice handful English speaking players joining JP servers, for someone like me who likes it small and managable instead of just becoming a number in a huge Guild/Legion/Linkshell/whatever you want to call it, this works out fine. But I guess I can see your point. . .I would be sad if I wasn't able to do "you mad" and "you bad" in /shout if that was my thing. . . .Sorry couldn't help it lol but I see where you're coming from.