Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isn't this exactly what happened to WoW?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I just refreshed people´s memories here. Maybe you should read the person´s post I was quoting?

All I am saying is that this launch is far from the worst I have experienced.

Sure they botched up! They heavily underestimated the interest in this game.

The excuse SE has however, is that they honestly did not expect this huge interest in the relaunch!

And frankly! Me neither. I am highly suprised to see how many People trying this game right now! It´s like FFXIV 1.0 never happened.

I wanted to buy the PC Collector´s edition for the artbook and authenticator, didn´t pre-order as I thought it would not be necessary, after all the bad press of Version 1.0 the past years. But I was shocked yesterday to find out it´s sold out everywhere! Not a single shop has a CE edition left in Stock anymore!

Fair enough, this whole thing is weird to me, I'm seeing a lot of peeps that are usually very critical oddly chill in this situation.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Wow's launch was around 9 years ago, what does it have to do with anything here? I can't recall a single launch where a significant amount of people were unable to play for this long of a stretch. The norm is a few hours with no play,not days at a time.

Guess you were hiding under a rock during GW2's launch or something. Huge portion of EU players couldn't even play for nearly the 1st week. Then came all the account issues thousands were reporting for a couple of weeks until they straightened out all their security stuff.

That's just the most recent big one. Just about every major launch has had large scale issues either due to server side problems, game breaking bugs, account / security issues, or flat out not being the product that was promised (lots of missing content & classes like in WAR). I find it amusing when people try to act like that hasn't been the case.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

WoW was bad.  hell theyve all been bad. 

TO those saying WoW was smooth,   my account had multiple (pages) of 1 day credits because they couldnt kee their crap together. 

They also had to pull all boxes all the shelves because of the demand ( they didnt have digital purchases when the game released).

Have WoW releases been better lately ?  Yes theyve grown accustomed to trying to accomodate 12 million (or 8) over the past 9 years while the other companies have no clue how that works.

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    WoW had problems with their servers for MONTHS. This has been a smooth launch in comparison to what i had to endure in WoW.
  • EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

WoW had no grave issues here in Europe. That said US launch was prior to our launch and most of the issues were fixed because of that.

We had some disconnects (server crashes), very long queues and hotfixes but nothing that kept us from playing for hours or in the case of FFXIV days, lol.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by NetSage

What are you talking about WoW had perfect launches with their last couple expansions

/sarcasm

Yes, WoW had tons of issues which lasted over a month.  I remember getting the game for Christmas that year.  God what a nightmare of christmas that was.  Downloading a crawl and servers being full.

A month?  WoW's servers were still a complete disaster a year and a half after launch.  And probably a lot longer than that, but that's when I quit.

sorry but that is a blatant lie.

wow servers had probs for a week, that was about it. then everything was fixed and fine (vanilla).

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65

I started with wow August 27th 2004 and there was tons of issues, they had 12+ hours maint. several times a week, servers were extremely unstable, people disconnected like constantly, we did 40 man raids with maybe 25 people the rest was offline.

Just like d3 nightmare of a launch, u'd think Blizzard had learned something from running wow for 8 years. but i guess not.

Maybe i'm just lucky here, but i've had zero problems at all with ARR, logged in 1 min. after the servers got online the 24th and my only interruption was when they shot it down for emergency maint. 

I do have the advantage of playing on a NA server as a EU player, so i don't experience the prime-time rush, but still.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

WoW Launch, ingame lag like crazy crash.

FFXIV Launch, hard to get in game.

Thats all i remember about the WoW launch. I moved to a new server as soon as it came up.

For FFXIV if i cant play my Main because of full server. I play on a JP server.

IMO FFXIV launch is better,  i been able to play without issue after getting in.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I played WoW about a month after launch and I cannot remember having any issues in a pretty well populated server. Although on Sunday and holiday weekends it was hard to get on. I can remember people having issues with the boats though, most on low end machines.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by Four0Six

What I find funny is that there was little to no hype for this game, yet lo and behold EVERYBODY seems to want to pay. Huh?

On this site it was second in hype before launch :P.  I think it just shows there is a silent majority for this game.

Well there's quite a bunch of people who bought 1.0 and they are given a free chance to try out 2.0. I'm one of them and I decided that oh well lets see how the game feels this time. I've been trying to get into the game since yesterday but it's not looking good lulz.

Actually yesterday I had a smooth run from installer to the point where I do the final click to get into the game when it exploded. I decided to go to sleep at that point since it was late, it was a mistake since today I cant even get past the launcher. The game is literally giving an error at every turn and at every click of the mouse, I've never seen anything quite like this tbh :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    I played from the first day WoW opened after getting my CE from gamestop at 9am. Had practically no issues. Infact I even hit 60 in the first month. So my answer to your question is No. In comparison, WoW's launch was fairly smooth. There were initial issues with 1 server which all of the top guilds originally planned to play on, but once Blizz got word about that - they shut it down for 3 days, so everyone would disperse. 

It's kind of ironic.

I have been exceedingly fortunate in XIVARR. My friend "hates me" because aside from them actually taking the servers offline for EM, I've had no issues getting in and playing. He did not get on at all last night. But for me, it's been smooth going. But I do recognize everyone else's issue.So, in this regard, if we are only going by our two personal experiences, the launches are in fact the same.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    It was the same for me over the weekend Geezer.  But last night and the night before have gotten worse :P.  I think it's my play time though.  Over the weekend I was on until about 7-8am, now I'm getting on like 5-6pm (third shift sleep schedule :D).
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I got WoW for Christmas that year as well. It looking back, it was a total nightmare. I think we had to jump servers like 20 times, I remember calling Blizzard a few times about shit as well. Still had a total blast of course. 

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Yup....totalllllly valid to compare FFXIV to WoW from 2004, as being a "normal thing at launch"...

Lets all ignore the countless MMOs after WoW that launched with million + players day 1 that had nowhere near the server issues FFXIV is having....lol

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Apples and Oranges. Actually, more like Apples and Air Conditioning Ducts.

There are a few key differences in "launch issues" between the two.

WoW was launched in 2004. Tech and MMO know how fairly limited to a few small companies. Today you have MMO's launches every other week with multiple AAA rated MMO's per year. 2013 tech and knowledge is far greater, a launch this bad is less acceptable.

WoW was Blizzard's first MMO. They literally had no clue what to expect, on top of which, they had no idea how popular WoW would become. The majority of their server issues and queues stemmed from the fact that they weren't expecting so many people.

FFRR is not only not SE's first MMO. It's the SECOND launch of the same MMO. I don't remember hearing all these issues the first time around. What happened between last time and this time? Did they forget how to do it?

WoW was buggy, but playable - sure you got booted off here and there, and the boats dumped you into the middle of the sea during transport, and some talents didn't even work, but you could still log in and play. FFARR apparently exists only in theory while people are unable to actually do anything.

WoW did not have the benefit of multiple beta stages and the concept of open betas for stress tests wasn't common at the time. And they didn't have all these various sites and ways to gauge interest in a game. FFARR should have had a better grasp of what to expect, but I guess pre-order numbers didn't tip them off - maybe someone should have told them in person that "many people buying your game equals many people trying to log in when you turn it on."

These days it is very common for people to take time off work for a game launch, and it's typically a safe bet because most launches are fairly smooth and issues are taken care of within the first day for the majority of the playerbase. I personally cannot remember the last bad launch I experienced.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I dont remember wow doing something as stupid as locking the server pop without having a means to kick people that just afk for 8 hours.
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Rusque

Apples and Oranges. Actually, more like Apples and Air Conditioning Ducts.

There are a few key differences in "launch issues" between the two.

WoW was launched in 2004. Tech and MMO know how fairly limited to a few small companies. Today you have MMO's launches every other week with multiple AAA rated MMO's per year. 2013 tech and knowledge is far greater, a launch this bad is less acceptable.

WoW was Blizzard's first MMO. They literally had no clue what to expect, on top of which, they had no idea how popular WoW would become. The majority of their server issues and queues stemmed from the fact that they weren't expecting so many people.

FFRR is not only not SE's first MMO. It's the SECOND launch of the same MMO. I don't remember hearing all these issues the first time around. What happened between last time and this time? Did they forget how to do it?

WoW was buggy, but playable - sure you got booted off here and there, and the boats dumped you into the middle of the sea during transport, and some talents didn't even work, but you could still log in and play. FFARR apparently exists only in theory while people are unable to actually do anything.

WoW did not have the benefit of multiple beta stages and the concept of open betas for stress tests wasn't common at the time. And they didn't have all these various sites and ways to gauge interest in a game. FFARR should have had a better grasp of what to expect, but I guess pre-order numbers didn't tip them off - maybe someone should have told them in person that "many people buying your game equals many people trying to log in when you turn it on."

These days it is very common for people to take time off work for a game launch, and it's typically a safe bet because most launches are fairly smooth and issues are taken care of within the first day for the majority of the playerbase. I personally cannot remember the last bad launch I experienced.

Not really sure where you're getting a lot of this from. I've been able to play each and every time I've tried to touch FF:ARR, I've had a queue wait of maybe 10 minutes total and everything in-game seems to be working fine. I don't see where 'this bad' comes from. If your life is revolving around consuming this game's content, then perhaps you've seen more negatives than I have, but honestly It's been as smooth any other MMO I've played before. Stay at work, move on with your life, play the game when you're available. When you actually halt the rest of your life for a video game you're going to take things way more seriously than they are. Other than waiting in queues I have seen NOTHING unacceptable about the game thus far.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    "

Isn't this exactly what happened to WoW?"

Yes.

It's 2004 all over again :)

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

Yup.  Wow was really bad.  This one isn't great.  There's a whole lot more games released that have issues near launch, than do not.  Lots of people will get upset and make crazy demands.  The issues will get ironed out sooner rather than later and everything will be fine.  It's not fun not being able to log into a game that you've been looking forward to for a while, but it's not the first time it's happened to me and it won't be the last.  Somewhere in space, this may all be happening. 

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

The launch has been tough,  I wish they held the Open beta earlier so they had more time to scale up the server farm before launch but sadly the spike in sales and player interest came less than a week before launch  :(

Hopefully people will tough it out for a couple weeks as they add more capacity, it really is a well made, fun, traditional style mmo.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

The WoW launch was better in my experience. There was a ton of lag, and some connection problems, but I could still play at least 90% of the time that I wanted to. Many of us cannot say the same with FF14.

Also, considering the fact that this is a relaunch of a 2011 game makes it look even worse.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by svann
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by svann
    Just askin.

Isnt what what happened to wow?

No.

Yes.

I mean hey, if we don't have to give reasons, hell, why not say anything you want?

Hey, if he didnt specify what he meant by "this" then how am I supposed to give any reasons?  Assuming he meant that on wow release people could not login for hours at a time because the servers were capped, and no one could create any characters, then no that did not happen at wow release.  I was there at wow release.  The problems were

1. getting stuck looting.  lasted about a week

2. some servers had lag.  not all of them.  lasted about 2 weeks.  Long enough that I rerollled on a new server - but at least I could play.

3. the boats didnt work.  lasted 2 years intermittently in various incarnations.

None of these problems amounted to the incredible difficulty of people not being able to play at all and/or not being able to play on the same server as their friends.  Not even close.

1. I had the loot problem

2. I was stuck in ghost mode for 2 days

3. Falling thru the world

Thats what me and a few guys screaming in General chat had.

Wasnt there a guild that cheated by exploiting the clipping thru the world bug to get to an area blocked off with high lvl mobs to farm "epic" loot?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

People are forgetting that a good game =/= good launch. WoW had a bad launch and went on to be one of the most successful MMOs ever. Games like Rift had smoother launches and did not. So, with this, the kinks will be smoothed out and the launch wlll be remembered as a side note.

Like I said before.

If XIV is great, the launch will be forgotten.

if XIV sucks, the game will be forgotten.

• ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22

Don't forget guys, WoW was the first MMO ever so the genre was still new back then, , , , so wouldn't it be like the genre has been. . . .Reborn!? 

/sarcasim

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Just askin.

Sort of.  Only WoW was doing it for the first time.  Over 7 years later Squeenix is repeating the same mistakes and employing the same poor decisions.  They haven't learned at all.  That is the problem.  It's not just them, but they're in the hotseat now.

No AAA MMO has launched since wow with the sheer magnatude of server issues FFXIV is having..

Yes...a game in 2004 had some server issue (one would argue that even then, it wasnt as bad)....why are u comparing it to a 2004 WoW, instead of a 2009 Rift, or 2011 SWTOR or 2012 GW2

Not SWTOR, not TOR, not Rift, quite frankly I cant think of 1 AAA MMO in the last 9 years that had issues this bad.

"All MMOs have issues at launch" makes sense if those "issues" are comparable....but the issues FFXIV is having are quite frankly on a whole other level lol