Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Clockwork Chaos

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 team has released the latest game update, Clockwork Chaos. It's easily, according to David, the best update yet. In our latest GW2 column, we offer a few thoughts about the new content and much more. Read on and then leave us your impressions in the comments.

ArenaNet has thrown some pretty big threats at players in Guild Wars 2.  With some luck, and battle hardened skill, players have been able to repel them all.  This time feels different.  The threat spans across the entire world.  What’s really weird is how this isn’t a new threat.  Now players face off against the dreaded Aetherblades, The Molten Alliance, Steam Creatures, and Twisted Clockwork Knights all at once!  These combined threats started their attack in the heart of Divinity’s Reach during the Queen’s speech to her people.  What little words the Queen spoke told us how Humans have triumphed against many obstacles.  A direct attack on the Queen now puts Humanity in a weakened state, and they will need every able sword and scepter at the ready if they are to overcome this new obstacle.  The Clockwork Chaos has begun!

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Clockwork Chaos!

Meet Scarlet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    And the Overflows not running the same events as the main servers have been fixed...  NOT!  So while everyone on your server flocks to the same zone to do the invasion events, you'll be locked in an overflow where you can't complete the event because it isn't running.  Lucky you.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Well with me thing have been a lil weird. While events do happend a few minutes later on overflow it DOES NOT count on the achievement panel when you complete it, kinda sad, yet very lucrative :p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I loved GW2 in the beginning, but got burned out on it pretty quickly.  I am neck deep in FFXIV and I have to say I'm loving it.  To everyone still playing GW2, I hope you all get to enjoy the content they are pushing.  But for me, I'm headed back to Eorzea  :)
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Great experience, until the final boss zerg.

Honestly I don't think there's any other way to fight the boss (and get the rewards) than to zerg it...it's just one lone Sylvari and that's it. I wish they implemented some mechanics that would require players to disperse all over the zone and indirectly participate in the battle.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I could not get into this latest content update. The clockwork minions are lacking and Scarlet is a sad excuse for a Gillian.
  • StumanStuman Member UncommonPosts: 71

This and the previous patch have burned me out and I've dropped the game for a more relaxing pace (hello again WoT).

Constant zergs do the content no justice and like others, I just could not get into it at all - especially following hard on the heels of two recent updates (one great, one starting to slide into zerg territory). After a couple of days, I just felt flat at the prospect of logging in. Still, I have heaps of things to accomplish in game, but I'm gonna wait for a few patches and or things to hopefully settle back into a nice pace again before getting back into it.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Dracondis
    And the Overflows not running the same events as the main servers have been fixed...  NOT!  So while everyone on your server flocks to the same zone to do the invasion events, you'll be locked in an overflow where you can't complete the event because it isn't running.  Lucky you.

If you go into an overflow within the first 10 minutes of the event starting, the event will run, otherwise you came in too late.

This is not a game.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Great experience, until the final boss zerg.

Honestly I don't think there's any other way to fight the boss (and get the rewards) than to zerg it...it's just one lone Sylvari and that's it. I wish they implemented some mechanics that would require players to disperse all over the zone and indirectly participate in the battle.

Very good idea. You should post that on the game forums.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

The content update is fun as heck!   The fights are a challenge, even with bigger groups thanks to the up-scaling mechanics.  Only the Scarlet fight at the end of the zone invasions is kind of easy, but most likely because it doesn't scale as much (and the entire map converges on here in a 100-200 vs 1 scenario). 

But since Scarlet....

(spoiler below, stop reading if you haven't done the even or story instance yet.)

...doesn't get killed during the Invasions, nor does she during the Scarlet's Funhouse story instance, then it's assumed that she'll play major role in future content updates.  She is, after all, the player's revealed nemesis.   And she even does the evil cackle at the end where she explains she'll be back and for the player to be ready for her.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I am not sure what her exact motives are all I do know is she has something coming for us that might not be good for anyone.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I try playing every update that GW2 gets but each update is just so boring and annoying! Every event and living story feels like the same exact thing and you have to spam a bunch of events to get some sort of fashion/appearance type reward. One or usually more of the events is a zerg event and they usually make sure to put in at least one event that manages to annoy PvE only players. It's ridiculously repetitive and not fun in the least.

Smile

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I try playing every update that GW2 gets but each update is just so boring and annoying! Every event and living story feels like the same exact thing and you have to spam a bunch of events to get some sort of fashion/appearance type reward. One or usually more of the events is a zerg event and they usually make sure to put in at least one event that manages to annoy PvE only players. It's ridiculously repetitive and not fun in the least.

Bazaar of the Four Winds... where was the zerg event in that one? Compare that to Secret of Southsun update and the difference is so big that your statement that "everything feels the same" just falls apart.

This is not a game.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    This event is very boring. Instanced cinematic sequence followed by kill 10 rats grinding (x100). In order to the complete the story you not only have to do an hour long zerg against endless waves of enemies (and maybe youll complete it). You have to then get to the final boss before its downed in 2 mins in order to complete a quests to find out where the portals go. But not once! You have to do the exact same hour long fight FIVE TIMES.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I don't even know what Im fighting most of the time. Just tab target and spam attacks.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

Bazaar of the Four Winds... where was the zerg event in that one? Compare that to Secret of Southsun update and the difference is so big that your statement that "everything feels the same" just falls apart.

You're so mistaken it's not even funny. Southsun and this event feel pretty much the same to me. It's in a different location and the story is different (but boring still) is all. You're still grinding those lame events like in all the "living story" (which is instanced to death and not alive at all).

Smile

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    This is one of the few ones i'm not too interested in. I loved the Queen's Guantlet from 2 weeks ago, though (got my Mini Liadri), and I am looking forward to the return of the Super Adventure Box next week!!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

You're so mistaken it's not even funny. Southsun and this event feel pretty much the same to me. It's in a different location and the story is different (but boring still) is all. You're still grinding those lame events like in all the "living story" (which is instanced to death and not alive at all).

Considering that all updates revolves around combat, they will all feel the same: DE pops up, players swarm them. It's not very different from a new raid instance in other MMOs. One of the many things I like about GW2 are the open world nature of these events. Sure, the Queen's ceremony is like a personal story, but that is so everyone can witness it. I don't see how that's a downer. The update brings in a new dungeon instance, and open world content as well.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

The event really didn't do much for me nor was the story that exciting. Didn't help that dataminers hinted that 'something big would happen' but wouldn't say the stuff as to 'not post spoilers' making me expect something more interesting than no name human characters (Faren included) dying. But maybe they'll go somewhere interesting with this and the terrible voice acting (can we make Rox at least somewhat sound like a charr?).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Leviathonlx

The event really didn't do much for me nor was the story that exciting. Didn't help that dataminers hinted that 'something big would happen' but wouldn't say the stuff as to 'not post spoilers' making me expect something more interesting than no name human characters (Faren included) dying. But maybe they'll go somewhere interesting with this and the terrible voice acting (can we make Rox at least somewhat sound like a charr?).

I just don't care for the human storylines in general, I almost wish they'd just off the Queen and be done with it, she and Logan are even more annoying when put in the same room.  My best friend doesn't agree, but he's entitled to being WRONG :p

Faren is a no name character to people who haven't done the "royal" human path, btw.  Just because you don't know who someone is in GW2 doesn't mean they weren't important somewhere else. 

Otherwise, I agree about Rox's voice acting.  And both she and Brahm (?) have stupid looking faces for some reason.  Hers almost looks like a bad mask.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I still love this game :). I get mad at overflow sometimes.. but hey, i can always kill time with this game! yay.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Abcynth
    I loved GW2 in the beginning, but got burned out on it pretty quickly.  I am neck deep in FFXIV and I have to say I'm loving it.  To everyone still playing GW2, I hope you all get to enjoy the content they are pushing.  But for me, I'm headed back to Eorzea  :)

Just like you loved GW2 in the beginning? I'm willing to bet you have a pattern with MMOs.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

I really love my characters in this game, but slowly I start feeling the same. It really makes me sad but I cannot bring myself to constantly run with the zerg anymore and after levelling 6 classes to max I cannot bring myself to level another one either.  I so wish we would get a real expansion or a dungeon that is not connected to Fractals.....

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    The Queen's Speech and Clockwork Chaos are the first two Living Story events I've felt the need to participate in and I've been enjoying them immensely. Now the problem is finding the time to complete all of the Clockwork Chaos achievements as well!
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

To no surprise David North is again advertising the game. This time he tries to mark the most hated and disputed update yet as one of the best, if not the best.

Dear David North, it might not hurt to really try to play the game and read the comments in the gw2 forums, before writing all the gossip ArenaNet is telling you. Clockwork chaos is only one thing: chaos. And it sucks, really!