Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] City of Heroes: How Fans Will Resurrect City of Heroes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

City of Heroes may not have gotten resurrected by NCSoft after last year's shutdown, but fans aren't willing to let go of their favorite superhero extravaganza. Enter Missing Worlds Media and the team behind the Phoenix Project. We caught up with Jacob Bazzrea, Studio Manager, and Nate Downs, Technical Director, to talk about the project and how fans can get involved. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments. 

MMORPG: How will The Phoenix Project serve as the spiritual successor to City of Heroes? 

Jacob Bazzrea: We are attempting to accomplish a similar feel for the gameplay, and with a similar method for systems and other parts of the user experience. There were a lot of things CoH did well, we want to try and build upon those things. At the same time, there were some short comings that CoH had, and we would like to enhance those areas of the game.

Read more of Mike Bitton's City of Heroes: How Fans Will Resurrect City of Heroes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    It certainly sounds promising.  I really miss CoH.  Must admit though all the promises and hype from game developers lately have made me skeptical.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Cautious optimism has been established. I shall hope for good things out of this.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87

Good luck with this, I was and still am sad to have my fav game disappear into the night. So many good times and so many great ppl were involved in this game.

RIP

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Really hope they get this thing off the ground again. It will prove beyond any doubt NCsoft killed the game way before its' time.
  • krazeekkrazeek Member Posts: 11

One of the big things which the community rallied for and was lacking in CoH, and one thing they did right in CO, was the Nemesis system. Please, oh please, put something like this in place. When I first saw my nemesis in CO, I got chills.

I miss the old CoX. Played it since episode 3, beta tested for them, and everything. Had a bunch of lvl 50s, and led a few popular SGs on Virtue. Can't wait to see what you do with this system, and I hope it can recapture the flame that CoX had ignited in my heart (CoX was how I got into MMOs).

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I hope it works. Will hold out any expectations till much later.
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Just tossing in my missing of CoX as well and best wishes to this project.  I'd love to see this succeed.  CoX was the only game I subbed to twice, and the only f2p I spent money in.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

"Hoping against hope, is one of the more hopeless ways for the hopeful to hope."

But I do.

• FrinkiacVIIFrinkiacVII Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I would, of course, welcome any type of CoX-esque reboot.  I worry that the same entrenched interests that threatened CoX with legal issues vis a vis copyright infringement do not do the same to the Phoenix Project, not to mention the doofuses at NCsoft.  I will say this though, if they turn this into a game where every zone has the possibility of unwanted PVP, that is, if my toon can get attacked by higher level trolls and get ganked for sport, I'm out.   I personally liked the different PVP and co-op zones, the arena, the Mission Architect system, etc.   

"Well sure, the FrinkiacVII looks impressive - DON'T TOUCH IT - but I predict that within 100 years computers will be TWICE as powerful, ten THOUSAND times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them." -Prof. Frink

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    23?  As in Issue?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    If it comes back with our toons, I'll be there.
  • LogansanLogansan Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by FrinkiacVII
    I would, of course, welcome any type of CoX-esque reboot.  I worry that the same entrenched interests that threatened CoX with legal issues vis a vis copyright infringement do not do the same to the Phoenix Project, not to mention the doofuses at NCsoft.  I will say this though, if they turn this into a game where every zone has the possibility of unwanted PVP, that is, if my toon can get attacked by higher level trolls and get ganked for sport, I'm out.   I personally liked the different PVP and co-op zones, the arena, the Mission Architect system, etc.   

I'm pretty sure they won't be that stupid to make it all open world PVP, the PVP community in COH was a very minor percentage of players (even before, supposedly, a lot of PVPers left after an early issue). Personally, I prefer separate PVP servers with maybe something like the arena included on the PVE servers. I liked the PVP instance zones in COH, but one of the mistake they made with these zones was trying to force PVE players to get involved by putting things like missions and badges in those zones. Hopefully MWM won't make that same mistake, PVP should be concessional only and have no bearing on PVE play or advancement at all.

I know that some COH players didn’t like the separate Hero/Villain zones with most (used) co-op zones been high level only, but I enjoyed the fact that the villain zones felt and played different to the hero zones and they did a good job of allowing you to play with your friends “on the other side” in the co-op zones which helped to expand your available number of teammates at the higher levels. I hope that MWM keep that separation at the lower levels, so there is a reason to reroll a character on the other side.

I'm really looking foward to the end result and wish them the best of luck.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Does this mean when the kickstarter is up and running we will have a forum here on MMORPG.com?

It would help raise awareness for the Kickstarter and give us a place to discuss the game. As well as a good place for us COH refugees to congragate!

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I wish the team behind this all the best because it's a tragedy what NCSoft did to City of Heroes. That said an inexperienced team with limited funds has me question if release will ever be a reality and if so what the quality of the game will be.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Super Hero pvp needs to be initatied like Cops and Robbers.

There should be a faction system, and anyone can be a villain by doing evil deeds. By doing so, Heroes are alerted and sent to try and stop them.

• wingoodwingood Member UncommonPosts: 33
    As someone who has played CoX since the beginning, I am pulling for you guys and hope that the Phoenix Project succeeds! 
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Alverant

They do not have access to your characters. Pipe dream, never happen.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

since they started all i read is Interviews and stuff of the sort. Nothing more then words. I'm thinking is there anything out there besides animation tests going on. Like this time last year they were doing interviews and going on panels at conventions. Not really have anything to show. 

Hopefully when they release the kickstart it will show something they made for the game not just test and concept art. 

Will be watching to see how this plays out. 

Dont forget there are 2 more games being made. 

Heroes and Villians 

Valiance Online - which has the most to show so far.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• Kvasir_029Kvasir_029 Member Posts: 46

This isn't Paragon Studios, nor is it NCSoft and it is a completely different engine so there isn't any way for them to "import" your old characters. Of course they do plan on having quite a bit of customization like CoH had, therefore you shouldn't have any trouble re-creating the character yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with this. The core feeling of CoH, with tweaks from all the mistakes learned over the years, as well as some new ideas and systems is exciting. I look forward to their Kickstarter.

Also, since I see it wasn't mentioned in the article, people can find them at http://www.missingworldsmedia.com or their new forums at http://www.cityoftitans.com

• MrMinotaurMrMinotaur Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Kvasir_029

This isn't Paragon Studios, nor is it NCSoft and it is a completely different engine so there isn't any way for them to "import" your old characters. Of course they do plan on having quite a bit of customization like CoH had, therefore you shouldn't have any trouble re-creating the character yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with this. The core feeling of CoH, with tweaks from all the mistakes learned over the years, as well as some new ideas and systems is exciting. I look forward to their Kickstarter.

Also, since I see it wasn't mentioned in the article, people can find them at http://www.missingworldsmedia.com or their new forums at http://www.cityoftitans.com

Don't bet against it yet, there has been talk of being able to import costumes to get non identical but close equivalents from sentinel+ (the art is all new). Possibly even recommendations for future power choices will be available if you are allowed to import your old character as a level 1.

• Spectra1Spectra1 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I was having a really bad day today and then I read this.  I'm feeling better already.  Now if only I could stop dreaming about COX.
  • gomanfoxgomanfox Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by FrinkiacVII

Based on what was written ("We would like to get open world PVP into the gameplay through a separate instance as well") my thoughts are that they are looking into either:

A)  An option where players choose to move to another instance of a zone where open world PVP is possible, or

B)  A separate, open PVP server.

Personally I think a separate instance would be a neat thing, so that people could move from PVP to PVE whenever they wanted.  Or even better, have it all in one instance and just have an option that makes you open to PVP, so that you still get the full world experience, but could still choose to PVP (obviously with restrictions to avoid abuse, like zoning to switch between settings)

• downixdownix Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by drgran

since they started all i read is Interviews and stuff of the sort. Nothing more then words. I'm thinking is there anything out there besides animation tests going on. Like this time last year they were doing interviews and going on panels at conventions. Not really have anything to show. 

Hopefully when they release the kickstart it will show something they made for the game not just test and concept art. 

Heroes and Villians 

This is bizzare, as this time last year we were playing City of Heroes without any inclination that the shutdown would occur just a few days later. We only began even discussing the very idea of a project later on. We did not attend our first convention until Norwescon, back in April of this year.

We've released several teaser trailers of concept art as well. As we are heading into Kickstarter, however, people want to see more than concepts.

• TamorandTamorand Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by downix
    Originally posted by drgran

Heroes and Villians 

This is bizzare, as this time last year we were playing City of Heroes without any inclination that the shutdown would occur just a few days later. We only began even discussing the very idea of a project later on. We did not attend our first convention until Norwescon, back in April of this year.

We've released several teaser trailers of concept art as well. As we are heading into Kickstarter, however, people want to see more than concepts.

Ignore them,  You guys just keep trucking along and we will see you in the kickstarter :)

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Short Trailer - But Fun! I think people are going to be suprised when they see the quality of the kickstarter and the devs transparency. I cant be 100% but for some reason these guys give me hope.

The Phoenix Project - Teaser Trailer

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!