Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disliking a previously liked game after reading forums

DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

We all have been there.  We love (insert mmo).  It releases, we play and play, having tons of fun.

So you want to go to a forum to discuss said game.  You get to the forum and see various threads, some about how much it sucks.  So you read the thread.

The OP states things about the game that are lacking, or perhaps suck.  You never thought about such things as you have been playing.  "The crafting is boring because of X."  "The quests suck because of Y"   "This is boring because XYZ".

Remember: Before playing you never thought about X/Y/Z.  You have enjoyed the game in your own way for whatever reason.  But after reading the posts you start thinking..."This guy is kinda right on X..and Y, the game is a little boring in this part and stale here."  So your attitude toward the game changes.

So you log in...you begin noticing X and Y all the time when you play.  You don't notice all the fun you are having as much as the fun you aren't having. Your attitude about the game changes.  You no longer enjoy it like you used to.  You begin to see it for what it isn't rather than for what it is.

So just by going to the forums and reading negative posts about a game, it ends up affecting your attitude toward the game in a negative way.  You no longer enjoy the fun things but rather focus on the things that aren't fun.

But if you had never went and read the posts, you could remain "Blissfully Unaware" of the "flaws".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any of you encountered this?  I have.  I have played MMOs since 1999, and encountered this very thing at various points.  I go to a forum and post, and read threads, but all the negativity starts affecting me and I just can't enjoy the game as much anymore.

It almost is like psychological warfare or something, lol.  The negativity just infects me like a virus.  I can't shake what I've read.  Even though I may have enjoyed said thing, the different perspective/opinion somehow alters my view and changes the enjoyment level.

So do I purposely avoid negative threads now so I can stay happy and positive about a game? Yes, I try.

Do I avoid reading game reviews like I avoid reading movie reviews so my attitude toward it isn't skewed by someone else's opinion?  Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about you guys have you ever experienced anything similar to this?  Read a game review and a normally awesome game somehow isn't so awesome based on 1 person's opinion of it?  Or perhaps same with a movie?  You just come into it thinking "this sucks"...so it sucks regardless of anything.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Nope, I can't sympathize with that at all.  If I think a game is going to be terrible, then I don't play it.  I also tend to read up on a game to have some idea of what the game is about rather than just jumping in and hoping I get lucky and hit a game with design decisions I like.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Well, I'm extremely confident in my attitude towards games. If i like it, and know that it has what i want I play, if people post It's flaws, i will most likely disagree and argue. But the one forum this brings to mind is the runescape forums. Runescape used to be a good game believe it or not. It was unique, had a TON of content and gameplay mechanics, and the community was competitive and fun. But then forum posts about how the mods were planning on changing X and changing Y and doing this and that. I started to realise Runescape was going down the shithole. I stopped playing because of all the B.S. Jagex puts that game through. Runescape now has a cash shop that gives HUGE edges in-game, the entire UI is based COMPLETELY off WoW, the graphics are a BAD attempt at any other MMO, and the combat was little completely changed, it now no longer comes even close to anything that existed before. Runescape is a model and it represents the quick evolution of the MMO genre. Starts unique with a niche playerbase, and evolves to a cash-shop WoW-clone.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • WhitesoulzWhitesoulz Member Posts: 27

I can agree with you there to an extent; sometimes I feel it lets me look at a deeper level of the game; and if it is missing something then I am disappointed; however sometimes reading forums allows me to enjoy the game even more, as it gives me ideas; shows me something I've been missing etc....

So I guess it could go both ways in reality. Forums can be a scary place though; there are many negative Nancy's and not enough positive Paul's out there.

It's a double edged sword as a wise man would say. Enter at your own risk. image

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

im little agreement guy with this :) yes highlighting some bad points that maybe i hadn't noticed effects how i view the game

suppose its like the girlfriend who is hawt and perfect in everyway.. but then you hear her voicemail and her voice sounds gawd aweful and that laught grates through you..and from then on all you hear is the high pitch squeal :)

however, my own issue is reading about other MMOs i wish i had never found out anything about any mmo whilst i was playing WoW

WoW to me was perfect, i loved it, the feeling it gave me, etc etc, the people , the world, but then nope, mate suggeted i try Age of Conan i saw how an MMO could be , WoW no longer had that feel, then of course i tried EvE whilst AoC sorted out some issues (6months after release i had played since early beta) after i started eve i have only played maybe 5 months in the following 5 years.

The newer games (in my playtime) often dillute my enjoyment of my current mmo

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

I don't allow others' opinions to influence mine.

/think for myself

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Voted gray because I'm thinking to include game I have not yet played.  I might not try out a game if the forums are flooding with this is broke and that isn't getting fixed and we were robbed because we were promised...

But if I have made up my mind to play a game I'm very happy to go against the crowd.  Problem is I'm  usually the one finding all those game faults.  And crying about it on the forums.  So I'm the antagonist?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

/think for myself

Maybe not MMORPG's but I doubt that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

No.

I'll either read up on the game and the try and make up my own mind or else just dive in.

Just because someone points out something they like or hate doesn't have any bearing on whether I'd like or hate it.

I love chocolate covered marzipan. But I've listened to people tell me why they hate marzipan.

But I sitl LOVE it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

/think for myself

image 100%

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I guess I should clarify that it doesn't make me HATE the game, it just diminishes my enjoyment of it.

Example:  Lets use recently released FFXIV.

I have been enjoying myself, enjoying what I have experienced in the game.  But I have not, like everyone else, enjoyed the logging in issues and such.

By coming onto the forums and reading all the posts about it, and all the negativity surrounding the game, I will also start getting annoyed/frustrated at this even though perhaps previously I have not.  Maybe it is the mongering that feeds the dislike?

I duno, it just seems if I spend a lot of my time patrolling forums and such, reading negativity, itll just "bring me down" some I guess.

I think for myself, don't get me wrong, it is just that when I read negativity, it dampens my fun?

Maybe I just can't explain it properly. 

----------------

Maybe this is akin to running around the game having fun, the /general chat is talking about the game, a general good attitude.

Versus: Running around the game and the general chat is filled with how much the game sucks, people complaining about the game, and generally having a bad time.

The "versus" really dampens the fun/enjoyment because of all the negativity in comparison to when the /general chat doesn't have the negativity?

Make any sense? hehe

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Not really, it's not that easy to change my mind.  The only reason forums would change my mind is if people were talking about facts/features added/removed from a game.  That might sway my opinion, but that's it.

EDIT: re: your clarification - yes, that's happened to me, but instead of playing the game(s) less, I just visit the forums less.  Problem solved.  There aren't nearly as many complainers in-game (usually).

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Yes and no.

When someone posts something factual that I haven't noticed/encountered yet but is still true, it bothers me. How much depends on if I plan on experiencing that part of the game or not.

Telling me that high level PvP is unbalanced (even if factually true) tends not to bother me.

Telling me that my class has the lowest damage output at max level would bother me.

Stuff like that.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Dragim

I guess I should clarify that it doesn't make me HATE the game, it just diminishes my enjoyment of it.

Example:  Lets use recently released FFXIV.

I have been enjoying myself, enjoying what I have experienced in the game.  But I have not, like everyone else, enjoyed the logging in issues and such.

By coming onto the forums and reading all the posts about it, and all the negativity surrounding the game, I will also start getting annoyed/frustrated at this even though perhaps previously I have not.  Maybe it is the mongering that feeds the dislike?

I duno, it just seems if I spend a lot of my time patrolling forums and such, reading negativity, itll just "bring me down" some I guess.

I think for myself, don't get me wrong, it is just that when I read negativity, it dampens my fun?

Maybe I just can't explain it properly. 

----------------

Maybe this is akin to running around the game having fun, the /general chat is talking about the game, a general good attitude.

Versus: Running around the game and the general chat is filled with how much the game sucks, people complaining about the game, and generally having a bad time.

The "versus" really dampens the fun/enjoyment because of all the negativity in comparison to when the /general chat doesn't have the negativity?

Make any sense? hehe

I'd dismiss any FFXIV forum negativity as MMORPG launches are messy and always have been.  It doesn't actually mean anything long-term.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Yes, it happens. Rule of thumb.. never ever read a forum of games you are actually playing.

I do read forums before i play a game, to inform me, to get a general idea of it. But if i actually decided to play that game i stop to read any forum about it, or any information board, basicly everything i could get information from that game.

I don't want to know what class is imba, i don't want to know what class sucks, i don't want to know how do beat that encounter, or how to exploit this, i don't want to know about what random guy no. x complains.. all that is just distracting, and can take you the fun of it. I never have read a walkthrough for single player games.. it is basicly the same.

I do want to experience that game, from inside that game, i do want to look what class is imba, what class sucks, how to beat that encounter.. it is part of enjoying a game.. reading about it, and doing what everyone else said will kill the game for you sooner or later. The very same is true for some complains, which may have reason or not..

Edit/PS: Because basicly a game can be as good as it could be.. you will always find people not liking it and complaining about whatever they desire.. as long as you enjoy a game.. just play it.. start reading before or after you have played it.. and join the army of complainers and whiners.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Nope, I have to experience the game first had to judge if I will like it or not. You can't always trust other people's opinions on things like this.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I can honestly say I have never had the scenario described in this thread happen to me.

Maybe this will sound harsh, and I am sorry if it does. It is not my intent to insult. But try not to be a sheep. Think for yourself.

The internet is full of people who cannot think for themselves. They go to forums and absorb other people's opinions as their own, or they go to a stream and watch a guy play  all the while thinking everything out of the streamers mouth is gospel.

Try not to be a sheep. If a game brings you enjoyment, play it. If you cannot stand a game that everyone else seems to love, don't play it.

so basically I am telling you to take my advice and become MY sheep, and in doing so DONT be a sheep.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Yes.

It's not really that it changes my opinion of the game itself, it's that it drains the fun out of being around other people.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Dragim

We all have been there.  We love (insert mmo).  It releases, we play and play, having tons of fun.

So you want to go to a forum to discuss said game.  You get to the forum and see various threads, some about how much it sucks.  So you read the thread.

The OP states things about the game that are lacking, or perhaps suck.  You never thought about such things as you have been playing.  "The crafting is boring because of X."  "The quests suck because of Y"   "This is boring because XYZ".

Remember: Before playing you never thought about X/Y/Z.

Actually, I did think about X / Y / Z and the reason to be on the forums in the first place is to read up on those issues of X / Y / Z.

Didn't go to the forums because I'm happy with something, the forums is where you read about a problem (and hope to find a fix). Most players don't bother with the forums due to all the trolls and more on them, they'll read it if it concerns them on the issues they care about.

In WoW, when the Real ID thing hit, players who otherwise didn't post came to the forums to voice their concern (see, no reason otherwise?). Blizzard was on the blink of a WWIII with Real ID (and it as the means to post on the forums with RL names in the first place) If they pushed it, MoP could've existed but WoW would probably have 2 million players, as they scared any uni student onward in wanting to play WoW (what employer would like Junior playing at work or knowing about his trolling on company property elsewhere?).

It's much more complicated than it's all lemmings egging each other to jump.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    only opinion you should believe in is your own that is the way of the internet
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    No, in most cases I don't think this is really possible. More likely the OP deep down knew there was something amiss in his gameplay, but was not able to identify it until he came to a forum and saw what it was that was actually lacking in the game from others.

They didn't change his opinion on the game, just validated what he already knew even if he hadn't accepted it yet.

Knowledge sometimes comes at a cost.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

NEVER!

I come here to talk about new MMOs coming out.

Nobody decides what I play but me.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

No, hater's posts dont affect my enjoyment of any game at all.

The only reason i voted "gray area" is because if i have zero knowledge about the game but i want to try it and someone is bashing i tend to become skeptical about it until i finally play it. With that said, once i try it  and like it, any doubt dies right away. Not everyone likes / dislikes the same things. Some people bash features just for the sake of bashing them even if they work properly.

One man's garbage is another one's treasure.... or however you say that phrase.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Nope. To be honest, I didn't quite got the title in the first place, and reading the OP wasn't much help either... why would you change your opinion based on some forum babble? It's beyond me. Especially if you like a game based on your own experience...

Don't let random forum bs influence your views. Stick to your own. You don't need to follow anybody, for Brian's sake... We're all individuals, and we're all different :) (except Cleese, but shhh...)

http://youtu.be/QereR0CViMY

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think I find it is more the opposite for me....i'll read about how great a game is then go try it to find out it's terrible.....There have been a couple of games where I did not play as much after reading forums (Atlantica online comes to mind) because people were posting how expensive it becomes later in the game.....
  • StardimmerStardimmer Member Posts: 12

Sadly, yes.  This has happened to me.  I am proud of the game I call "my game" but I won't openly name it here in fear of the bashing both it and I will get.  Many other forums have bashed,  I'm not saying that the distinguished members of this forum would most certainly do so, I just don't want to take the chance.  I just posted a rather bloated response in another thread and referred to my game as "my game" several times. 

Many have pointed out x, y, and z about my game and I did take notice when next I logged in to play.  I returned to trying other games to find one better.  They all seemed lackluster by comparison and I promptly returned to "my game".